Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

Replies

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Thanks
  • Robbnva
    So I'll ask another question here instead of starting a new thread. If I want to start doing pushups, I can't do these on rest days right?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yeah- you could- just don't go ape with them.
  • Robbnva
    I can only do 3 right now...
  • Robbnva
    Oh and I increased my calorie goal so I'll be eating more now. (Scared)
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Muscle protein synthesis is elevated immediately after exercise. The concept of the anabolic window may very well be 24-hours but MPS is immediate.

Yes, my words came out a bit wrong, I guess. I meant that it goes on for 24-48 hours after exercise, so it is equally important to eat well even on your days off.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    I haven't read through all these comments so I apologize if someone has already said this...
    I was in the same boat as you and someone recommended Stronglifts 5x5 to me. There is even a free app for the IPhone. I started it this week and found it easy to follow. It isn't intimidating and doesn't require a lot.
  • JoRocka
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I can only do 3 right now...

You'll be fine.

IF you can only do three- try practicing on a desk- or the stairs- or a chair- some level other than the floor- it will help you progress faster and get more out of what you need. :)
    Oh and I increased my calorie goal so I'll be eating more now. (Scared)
    GREAT!!!! yes- it can be scary- but you get used to it- I promise- and don't freak out if you 'gain' 3 pounds or so this first week- it's essentially a bounce back- don't sweat it. If after 3-4 weeks you aren't losing again- then readjust said calories.
  • zipa78
    So I'll ask another question here instead of starting a new thread. If I want to start doing pushups, I can't do these on rest days right?

Start with standing pushups against a wall or incline pushups against a high bench or table and do them as assistance after your overhead presses. Or after every pressing exercise if you feel that you are up for it. When you can dish those out by the dozens, move to regular pushups.

I really, really would not recommend that you do anything resembling weight training on your rest days for the first 12 weeks of your program. Start slow and stick to the program. It is laid out as it is for good reason.
  • Robbnva
    I haven't read through all these comments so I apologize if someone has already said this...
    I was in the same boat as you and someone recommended Stronglifts 5x5 to me. There is even a free app for the IPhone. I started it this week and found it easy to follow. It isn't intimidating and doesn't require a lot.

Yep, that's what I did. Completed my 3rd workout today. Can't wait til Sunday to lift again
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Muscle protein synthesis is elevated immediately after exercise. The concept of the anabolic window may very well be 24-hours but MPS is immediate.

Yes, my words came out a bit wrong, I guess. I meant that it goes on for 24-48 hours after exercise, so it is equally important to eat well even on your days off.

Definitely!
  • Robbnva
    @ sam - For lift days or everyday?

Yeah, keep your protein approximately the same every day but don't stress if you end-up at like .75 or even go over 1 a little. Some people like to cycle their carbs between strength-training and non-strength training days, so that's something you can try and see if it benefits you.

Been trying to up my protein today, pretty sure I can't hit even .75. Without those nasty shakes and bars, how else can I get my protein?
  • JoRocka
    More dead things.
    eggs
    greek yogurt.

and try some different protein's if you can- I prefer regular old vanilla- and i add it to plain greek yogurt
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this to you but on Bodybuilding.com there are video tutorials on lifting, targeting certain muscle groups. You should try to look into this website. It's very informative.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Does anyone do the assistance exercises at all?

every workout.
  • dbmata
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So brings me to a question... if you take it off only for certain lifts- but leave it on otherwise- do you put in in your bag? or do you have a specific spot for it? I'm afraid my bag's going to eat it LOL
    nature's pocket.
  • dbmata
    @ sam - For lift days or everyday?

Yeah, keep your protein approximately the same every day but don't stress if you end-up at like .75 or even go over 1 a little. Some people like to cycle their carbs between strength-training and non-strength training days, so that's something you can try and see if it benefits you.

Been trying to up my protein today, pretty sure I can't hit even .75. Without those nasty shakes and bars, how else can I get my protein?
    Small idea, find some protein powders that aren't nasty.

There are more brands than sunrises out there, just try a couple and see if they provide the supplementation you need for your diet.
  • zipa78

Beef jerky, cottage cheese, canned tuna, chicken, chicken, chicken.
  • Robbnva
    Those first 3 are gross lol
  • Robbnva
    I'll have to start taste testing stuff I guess, I'm just such a picky eater