Want to start strength training - absolute beginner

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I'll have to start taste testing stuff I guess, I'm just such a picky eater
    It might be time to get over being picky. Or at least try to. :)
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Can't help if I don't like how things taste
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Those first 3 are gross lol

just because you think they are gross doesn't make them invalid options- we can't just guess what you think you'll like... we just list things that have protein in them.

so there you go.

and also- find new ways to prep food if you are picky- at some point you really have to do some personal stretching/growth on food. We aren't five any more. As must as we'd like to believe that we are- we aren't.
    nature's pocket.
    whole new meaning to clenching
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    @ sam - For lift days or everyday?

Yeah, keep your protein approximately the same every day but don't stress if you end-up at like .75 or even go over 1 a little. Some people like to cycle their carbs between strength-training and non-strength training days, so that's something you can try and see if it benefits you.

Been trying to up my protein today, pretty sure I can't hit even .75. Without those nasty shakes and bars, how else can I get my protein?

Chicken Breasts
    Pork Chops
    Lean cuts of Beef (e.g., Top Round)
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs

Getting the protein should be fairly easy really. If you're a Vegetarian or Vegan then it might be harder.
  • Robbnva
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Those first 3 are gross lol

just because you think they are gross doesn't make them invalid options- we can't just guess what you think you'll like... we just list things that have protein in them.

so there you go.

and also- find new ways to prep food if you are picky- at some point you really have to do some personal stretching/growth on food. We aren't five any more. As must as we'd like to believe that we are- we aren't.
    nature's pocket.
    whole new meaning to clenching

Yeah I know, don't mind me. Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone. I appreciate it
  • dbmata
    Can't help if I don't like how things taste

Tastes change, we can learn to like new things. Fear, comfort, anxiety. These create changes of food fears that prevent us from stretching and learning new things to enhance our culinary lives.

Just as someone can learn to do a proper squat, someone can learn to enjoy sour, or bitter, or umami.
  • Robbnva

Yeah, keep your protein approximately the same every day but don't stress if you end-up at like .75 or even go over 1 a little. Some people like to cycle their carbs between strength-training and non-strength training days, so that's something you can try and see if it benefits you.

Been trying to up my protein today, pretty sure I can't hit even .75. Without those nasty shakes and bars, how else can I get my protein?

Chicken Breasts
    Pork Chops
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs

Getting the protein should be fairly easy really. If you're a Vegetarian or Vegan then it might be harder.

I've had 2 Greek yogurts, hard boiled egg, 3 scramble eggs, 2 turkey sausage links, 2 chicken and apple sausages, and an Atkins bar and haven't hit 100. .8 would put me at like 170 grams of protein, so I need 70 more for dinner somehow
  • dbmata
    That's when I hit a steak. Or sushi.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited January 2015
    I could be incorrect because I don't eat it often, but I don't recall sausage having a lot of protein in it; at least not relative to cuts of meat like beef, pork, or chicken. To hit all three macros you may consider cutting back on the sausage in-favor of other meat. Two chickens is a little vague what was the actually quantity in grams / ounces? Greek Yogurt is good but there's not as much protein in there as marketers like to claim, it's a little misleading. For a 100lb woman it might be a significant source of protein but not for a 200lb man.
    Just as someone can learn to do a proper squat, someone can learn to enjoy sour, or bitter, or umami.

No to umami for sure. I have never and can never stand bitter beer or high-IPA beer, it's like drinking poison.
  • Robbnva
    The chicken and apple.sausage has 12 grams per sausage, only ate it cause I needed something and it was readily available
  • Robbnva
    The turkey sausage didn't have much, 4 per link. I'm gonna have to do a shake or something
  • Robbnva
    That's when I hit a steak. Or sushi.

I could go for a steak lol. I obviously need to go grocery shopping this weekend.and plan how I'm gonna get all this stuff in.
  • dbmata
    I'm not a fan of IPAs... who wants a glass of soap and grass? Yuk.

Umami though is something I personally favor. Nothing like that pure earthiness from a mushroom.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

Chicken Breasts
    Pork Chops
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs

Beans, Beans, they're good for your muscles
    The more you eat, the more you...um. Tussle? Rustle your Bustle?

IDK. Beans aka legumes or pulses. Fiber+Protein+Carbs=happy lifting food. I'm known to eat hunks of chicken breast dipped in hummus as a post-lift lunch. Protein bomb.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Protein shake in the morning. 26 grams
    6 ounces of chicken at lunch. 35 grams
    8 ounces of steak at dinner. 60 grams

Really shouldn't be difficult.
  • Robbnva
    deksgrl wrote: »

In theory yes, but I can't eat that everyday.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Why not? Okay so have fish instead of steak.
  • Sam_I_Am77

In theory yes, but I can't eat that everyday.

One thing that can help is to find a variety of seasonings to help change things up. Don't stress about being +/- a little bi
    Why not? Okay so have fish instead of steak.

There you go, Salmon, Tuna, Halibut, there a cheaper one that I'm forgetting...
  • Robbnva
    So I got to 156 grams today and got 2k calories in today. Much higher than what I normally eat
  • Robbnva
    So I tried my wife's chocolate truffle protein powder with milk. Its not bad and gave me 32 grams of protein. Not bad, plus she has quest bars I'm gonna try today also. I should hit my protein today and this weekend I'll buy more chicken, steak, and fish