The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper

Options

Replies

• RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'll read the book before I make any comments :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This topic proves that if you are successful, people will hate you for whatever reason. Doesn't matter how many people he's helped, doesn't matter if he has a TV show and has written books that people find helpful. None of that matters if jealousy is thrown into the mix. Still looking for that ignore button.......
    agreed!
    Agree all you want. The above statement is still an appeal to popularity logical fallacy.
    The list, and book are just dumb.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    This topic proves that if you are successful, people will hate you for whatever reason. Doesn't matter how many people he's helped, doesn't matter if he has a TV show and has written books that people find helpful. None of that matters if jealousy is thrown into the mix. Still looking for that ignore button.......

How absurd! People who are successful through honesty and hard work are highly respected.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    agreed!
    Agree all you want. The above statement is still an appeal to popularity logical fallacy.
    The list, and book are just dumb.
    Then for the sake of having my opinion, and hitting a nerve while doing so......I will agree again:)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I know that all things don't work for all people...but wanted to share something I saw prior to this post popping up:

skinny-rules-bob-harper.jpg

I had a problem with rules 18 & 19.

If I'm going to sleep right, I probably don't need to go to bed hungry. I probably don't need to be hungry at any time. :laugh:

I lost my weight simply by burning more calories than I consumed, and still ate the good stuff...because if I didn't eat the good stuff, I'd end up climbing the walls and ultimately binging on the good stuff. :wink:

For me (and maybe this won't work for everyone) the key has been sustainability. You'll notice I've been here off and on since 2011. The first two times I tried this, I dropped some weight fast, stalled, and fell right off the wagon because I simply could not sustain what I was doing. I was doing it wrong...for ME. (I gained ALL the weight back, and then some...twice...Not a big fan of that at all.)

I like ol' Bob, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of his rules, simply because I see a lot of deprivation in them and I am sure not a huge fan of feeling deprived (or hungry)...:flowerforyou:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options

I may have thought this before as well. Then I did my research about what really goes on on that show and what the trainers allow to happen. I have no respect for any of them anymore. The show is about ratings... not helping people.
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GoBunny1
    Options
    People should know that this book apparently gives a blanket "1200 calories and only 1200 calories" plan for all women. And it also encourages large amounts of exercise, creating a massive calorie deficit.

Of course you'll lose weight. But it's not good or healthy. And the rules themselves are stupid, especially the ones that prescribe specific foods or prohibit specific foods.

This is simply not a good idea.
  • GoBunny1
    Options
    Ha... what I meant is: yup!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not be scrawny and hungry and weak, so I'll follow my own rules:

1- count calories to hit a moderate deficit or surplus eating whatever foods you like.

B- get (your LBM) grams of protein a day.

5- do awesome stuff with your body.

openpike_zps53721435.gif
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh my no potatoes? No way in hell!

I just had a huge plate (345g) full of lovely creamy potatoes boiled in their skins for lunch served with a crispy green salad and some slices of vegan ham. They were GOOOD!

I do find the *idea* of not eating carbs later in the day intriguing, but I'd like to understand the science (?) behind it before trying it out as I have a serious love of carbs (wholefood style) and it would be quite tricky to cut them out in the evening because it would mean cutting out all my favourite 'healthy' stuff like brown pasta, beans and brown rice.

I couldn't get past vegan ham...

I thought vegans didn't eat animal products.

Haha! Well it's not real 'ham' (and btw I'm not vegan - though I do want to go vegan after Xmas) it's a savoury sausage that you can slice and serve like ham, made from soya and wheat. I find it genuinely tasty but unless you're interested in going 'plant based', I doubt most folk would like it as much as ham from pigs! The added bonus for me is zero cholesterol as I have to get my cholesterol down from the very high level it was at when I recently had a blood test.

But sausage is meat too! Soy and wheat =/= ham or sausage

Oy vey! I'm so confused! :sad:

:wink:

Not quite. Although meat does get shaped into sausages, the word "sausage" can also just mean a particular *shape* irrespective of whatever it may be composed of. :tongue:

Sausage is a shape? I think the shape you mean is called "cylinder," not sausage

www.thefreedictionary.com/sausage
    Finely chopped and seasoned meat, especially pork, usually stuffed into a prepared animal intestine or other casing and cooked or cured.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage
    A sausage is a food usually made from ground meat with a skin around it.

Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't see find 'sausage shaped' when looking it up.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/sausage

See number two (which are also sausage shaped, for those like me who are amused by little things!)

Interestingly, I the origins of the word sausage don't refer to meat at all, instead the word sausage is rooted in the Latin for 'seasoned with salt' and 'salted', which is neither here or there, but I find etymology interesting :)

And with that, I'm bowing out :smile:
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs doing the opposite of what this book says.

and you can add my weight loss to those 42 pounds as well (Congrats on your weight loss by the way). I can't say that I even followed 1 of these rules......

You can add mine as well. these rules seem like the beginning of an eating disorder to me. I'm getting pizza this weekend -- anyone care to join me?!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22700-1362252670-1.gif
    That looks like a Papa John's pizza.

I am making pizza soon. Just bought some new Flat Out flatbread crusts. Can't wait to try them. Just remembered I forgot the sausage!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I had a problem with rules 18 & 19.

If I'm going to sleep right, I probably don't need to go to bed hungry. I probably don't need to be hungry at any time. :laugh:

Interestingly (or not); I recently saw an article outlining the bad and good habits of people with high IQs, and two of the bad habits were staying up late and drinking too much.

Ergo; Bob Harper is stupid and I'd rather be clever than skinny. :drinker:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I may have thought this before as well. Then I did my research about what really goes on on that show and what the trainers allow to happen. I have no respect for any of them anymore. The show is about ratings... not helping people.

Not true. If you really watch the show and follow the contestants who lose the weight, many of them open gyms, help the youth in schools and help friends and family to get healthy. Nope, sorry but you didn't convince me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Not true. If you really watch the show and follow the contestants who lose the weight, many of them open gyms, help the youth in schools and help friends and family to get healthy. Nope, sorry but you didn't convince me.

You are clearly quite invested (emotionally, if not financially) in this show. I can understand that you've had some success watching the show and following the advice of the people on the show.

It's time to let go. Your emotional attachment is clouding your judgment.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I just started reading The Skinny Rules by Bob Harper and I have to say some of his tips are pretty good. Some are common sense but some are things I didnt know. Here are some of his rules to being skinny

1. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- no excuses
    2. Don't drink your calories (as in only drink water, coffee, teas, etc. Avoid sodas, juices)
    3. Eat protein at every meal (to avoid getting hungry and grouchy)
    4. Cut your intake of refined flours and grains (pasta, bagels, even those that say "low in fat")
    5. Eat 30 to 50 grams of fiber a day
    6. Eat apples and berries every single day (as snacks)
    7. No carbs after lunch
    8. Learn to read food labels
    9. Stop guessing about portion size and get it right- for good
    10. no added sweeteners including artificial ones
    11. No white potatoes
    12. Don't eat meat once a week
    13. Get rid of fast foods and fried foods
    The list goes on and on. He has 20 rules that he mentions and explains. The 2nd part of the book offers explanations about what you should eat. Like I said, I only started reading the book so I don't know what it talks about but it's very interesting, and I feel like I can learn a couple of things by reading it. Any of you guys read the book? Did you guys like it?

I don't like lists, but I DO like duck gifs!

I have nothing of value to add.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I don't really agree with a lot of these rules. But, I find it hard to bash him, because I'm sure he must have inspired many people to be healthy and lose weight, throughout his career. That has to count for something, right?
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I know that all things don't work for all people...but wanted to share something I saw prior to this post popping up:

skinny-rules-bob-harper.jpg

I have no idea who Bob Harper is, but this list is just silly.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options

And I have followed past contestants who also lost weight... but who have spoken out about how it was done. Just a hint. It isn't done in a totally healthy way at all.

But if you want to see the shininess of the show and nothing more, then nothing will convince you otherwise. I already realize this. I will support those who lose weight in a healthy and safe way and NOT support those who allow the techniques on this show.
  • suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! I actually agree with the rules (except for go to bed hungry).

I hadn't heard of Bob Harper. But I have heard of:

jonathan bailor - - - http://bailorgroup.com/; and
    Dr Paul Cribb; and
    zoe harcombe - - - http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/ (I like the myths and facts page)

It's going to take about 20 years for people to realise that folk like Bob Harper aren't far off the money. But I don't have 20 years. I'm getting in early ;)

Best of luck! Enjoy your healthy way of life