New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    As far as I know, calorie counts on menus are only required by law in New York, and then only on restaurants with multiple locations; I cannot remember where the cutoff is. For restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory, since they have to do it in NY they might as well do it everywhere, instead of printing two sets of menus; they can save money on consolidating. Most likely when the other restaurants place their reorders for menus, they get the ones with the calorie counts.

I don't like restaurants with 15 pages of menu items; it means their quality control cannot be very good, because they are trying to do too many things. Give me a local restaurant with a short menu (1 is best, but anything under 4 is acceptable) anytime. SInce they are focused on fewer items, the quality tends to be better.

As a separate question, I've seen a bunch of posts on this thread saying things like "I don't normally go for _____ item/flavor, but I've been thinking about trying it". I am not judging, this is a curiosity thing; if you don't like something, why waste the money or calories to keep trying it if you know you won't like it? Maybe I've just been keeping track of calories too long to waste them on something that doesn't sound good out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, I try new things regularly, but I know I don't like cabbage or cauliflower, so I don't buy or order anything with those particular ingredients. It makes it much easier to keep under my calorie counts.

*Raises hand* I'm guilty, but I'm placing the blame on GNC employees for this one. I HATE and I do mean hate 99.9999% of Fit Joy bars. They're like eating a waxy and overly perfumed Yankee Candle in a protein bar to me. Seriously. Gross.
    However, every single darn time I go to GNC they talk me into trying whatever the latest flavor is by saying it will be different. I got talked into the Cookies & Cream flavor and I surprisingly loved it!!!! So this is why. Because you never know when a new flavor will surprise you!

Like Enlightened, too, I expected to hate their Bananas Foster pint because I don't like bananas too much. However, I adored this as it reminded me of banana pudding (apparently the one exception).

I also hated cilantro and carrots for the longest time, but now I love both go figure. Taste buds change!

ALSO OH MY GOODNESS EVERYONE PSA. I was in Target shopping today and noticed HALO TOP! Since when did Target sell HALO TOP!?

I also found the Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and picked up the Espresso flavor since it was on cartwheel for 10% off. Has anyone tried these yet? It's 290 calories so I'm not having it today, but hopefully I'll get around to trying it within the next few days!

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

How much is halo top at target? and btw did you get my private message about enlightened/halo top?

$4.99! A dollar cheaper than at Wegmans and 50 cents cheaper than at Shoprite for me! I'll have to keep a sharper eye out on cartwheel from now on because of this ;) I did not see any messages but I'll check now!

Ooh maybe my local Target will get it, but they suck at getting new items in.

Mine normally does too, I still can't find the new lemon or coconut Kodiak Cakes mix!!!

Yeah, the unequal distribution is nuts: my NJ Target doesn't even carry Chocolate Kodiak Cake Mix, but my PA store gots all the flavors... :/
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    josette06 wrote: »
    My giant has the limited edition hostess ice creams. I'm so disappointed they don't have the twinkle flavor! I'll have to look at the other one.

Is it the ice creams or the novelty bars?
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    fvyixpipxts1.jpg
    Tried nutrigrain crumb cakes only 160 calories and were good size. Was absolutely delicious warmed up. Loved the crumb topping. Was really good not not amazing and wouldn't buy again. Was nice for a change though

I tried microwaving mine and trying it normal and both ways it was just extremely dry and messy. Was yours moist? I wonder if I got a bad box or not...
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    josette06 wrote: »
    My giant has the limited edition hostess ice creams. I'm so disappointed they don't have the twinkle flavor! I'll have to look at the other one.

Is it the ice creams or the novelty bars?

It is the ice cream.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My new thing is the Special K pastry crisps. So far I've tried brown sugar cinnamon, strawberry, and cookies and cream. They taste just like poptarts. I'm also a huge Belvita lover.

They're also always what their serving size states (25g)! At least the crisps in my box were. They're great when I'm craving a poptart.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My new thing is the Special K pastry crisps. So far I've tried brown sugar cinnamon, strawberry, and cookies and cream. They taste just like poptarts. I'm also a huge Belvita lover.

Personally, I found this comparison untrue. I bought a box once based on many "just like poptarts" claims, and I was so disappointed. The crisps were thin and finished too quickly. I couldn't taste anything reminiscent of poptarts in them. I'm much happier eating half a poptart or making room for a whole piece or packet.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    fvyixpipxts1.jpg
    Tried nutrigrain crumb cakes only 160 calories and were good size. Was absolutely delicious warmed up. Loved the crumb topping. Was really good not not amazing and wouldn't buy again. Was nice for a change though

I tried microwaving mine and trying it normal and both ways it was just extremely dry and messy. Was yours moist? I wonder if I got a bad box or not...

No, they were relatively dry. But when I warmed it up it was quite moist, but I did. But crumb cakes are always really dry so I expected it to be. I used to eat hostess crumb cakes as a kid and they were always super dry but thats part of the crumb cake goodness. Meant to be dunked in coffee or milk ;). Didn't think it was amazing though, wouldn't buy again. I almost think the crumb cakes from smartcakes were better for the calorie amount. Would rather have 3 of those vs 1 of these lol. But I did like the topping
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh I saw Gelato Fiasco at my Shop Rite! Didn't buy. Too dangerous. They were totally out of Enlightened though.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh I saw Gelato Fiasco at my Shop Rite! Didn't buy. Too dangerous. They were totally out of Enlightened though.

Their salted caramel dark chocolate or whatever is supposed to be really good if you listen to my husband ;)

So today I tried the new One flavour, maple donut. Easily their best bar. There are notes of confectioners sugar in with the doughy maple that just evokes maple logs imo. I don't buy One often because (a) I am not super comfortable with malitol and (b) they can be deliciously dangerous. Nom at your own peril, you may fall in love.

I also got to try Dymatize Iso 100 protein powder in birthday cake. This has been really played up in the women's keto communities I participate in outside of MFP and when I was fat I majored in cakeology so I had high hopes. It delivers on yellow cake yumminess better than some products (like One's birthday cake bar) but doesn't evoke the icing good enough to give you diabetes that others do (Buff Bakes Birthday Cake Almond Butter <3 ). Overall it's a solid protein powder purchase, macros are on point for my purposes at 25p/0f/1c. Will be using it in that copycat halo top recipe that was on the boards the other day when my ISO syrup gets here!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    As far as I know, calorie counts on menus are only required by law in New York, and then only on restaurants with multiple locations; I cannot remember where the cutoff is. For restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory, since they have to do it in NY they might as well do it everywhere, instead of printing two sets of menus; they can save money on consolidating. Most likely when the other restaurants place their reorders for menus, they get the ones with the calorie counts.

I don't like restaurants with 15 pages of menu items; it means their quality control cannot be very good, because they are trying to do too many things. Give me a local restaurant with a short menu (1 is best, but anything under 4 is acceptable) anytime. SInce they are focused on fewer items, the quality tends to be better.

As a separate question, I've seen a bunch of posts on this thread saying things like "I don't normally go for _____ item/flavor, but I've been thinking about trying it". I am not judging, this is a curiosity thing; if you don't like something, why waste the money or calories to keep trying it if you know you won't like it? Maybe I've just been keeping track of calories too long to waste them on something that doesn't sound good out of the gate. Don't get me wrong, I try new things regularly, but I know I don't like cabbage or cauliflower, so I don't buy or order anything with those particular ingredients. It makes it much easier to keep under my calorie counts.

*Raises hand* I'm guilty, but I'm placing the blame on GNC employees for this one. I HATE and I do mean hate 99.9999% of Fit Joy bars. They're like eating a waxy and overly perfumed Yankee Candle in a protein bar to me. Seriously. Gross.
    However, every single darn time I go to GNC they talk me into trying whatever the latest flavor is by saying it will be different. I got talked into the Cookies & Cream flavor and I surprisingly loved it!!!! So this is why. Because you never know when a new flavor will surprise you!

Like Enlightened, too, I expected to hate their Bananas Foster pint because I don't like bananas too much. However, I adored this as it reminded me of banana pudding (apparently the one exception).

I also hated cilantro and carrots for the longest time, but now I love both go figure. Taste buds change!

ALSO OH MY GOODNESS EVERYONE PSA. I was in Target shopping today and noticed HALO TOP! Since when did Target sell HALO TOP!?

I also found the Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and picked up the Espresso flavor since it was on cartwheel for 10% off. Has anyone tried these yet? It's 290 calories so I'm not having it today, but hopefully I'll get around to trying it within the next few days!

What I did try, however, was Starbucks new Cinnamon AlmondMilk Macchiato. Thumbs down from me. Usually I love macchiatos but the almondmilk gave it a weird flavor and I would have enjoyed it much better with 2%.

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

I forgot to ask did they get the newer flavors or the original Halo Top?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited March 2017
    Options

The Chocolate Sea Salt & Caramel flavors are amazing & not too bad calorie wise.

I know one flavor is 170 calories & the other is 180.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

Their salted caramel dark chocolate or whatever is supposed to be really good if you listen to my husband ;)

So today I tried the new One flavour, maple donut. Easily their best bar. There are notes of confectioners sugar in with the doughy maple that just evokes maple logs imo. I don't buy One often because (a) I am not super comfortable with malitol and (b) they can be deliciously dangerous. Nom at your own peril, you may fall in love.

I also got to try Dymatize Iso 100 protein powder in birthday cake. This has been really played up in the women's keto communities I participate in outside of MFP and when I was fat I majored in cakeology so I had high hopes. It delivers on yellow cake yumminess better than some products (like One's birthday cake bar) but doesn't evoke the icing good enough to give you diabetes that others do (Buff Bakes Birthday Cake Almond Butter <3 ). Overall it's a solid protein powder purchase, macros are on point for my purposes at 25p/0f/1c. Will be using it in that copycat halo top recipe that was on the boards the other day when my ISO syrup gets here!

Would it taste good in the protein cheesecake that @crazyravr made?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1

Also I have to second the Dark Chocolate flavor, because it tastes like a frozen brownie batter. I have a feeling Giant will eventually discontinue the Gelato Fiasco since it doesn't sell enough.

I also really liked Muscle Pharm's Birthday Cake protein powder.

139449_1.jpg
  • hgycta
    edited March 2017
    Options

What I did try, however, was Starbucks new Cinnamon AlmondMilk Macchiato. Thumbs down from me. Usually I love macchiatos but the almondmilk gave it a weird flavor and I would have enjoyed it much better with 2%.

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

I remember seeing the newer Cookie Dough, Chocolate Cherry, and Peanut Butter and the older Mint, Birthday Cake, and I think Chocolate. They didn't have a ton but they had both their newer and older flavors! :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1

Also I have to second the Dark Chocolate flavor, because it tastes like a frozen brownie batter. I have a feeling Giant will eventually discontinue the Gelato Fiasco since it doesn't sell enough.

139449_1.jpg

I've been wanting to try that protein powder but I've been putting it off because they don't have sample packets. I do love MusclePharm though, I have yet to be disappointed in their powders so I'll have to try it! Was it more cake-y or did it taste like rich icing (if that makes sense)?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

cg2rnsn1ml60.jpg

I remember seeing the newer Cookie Dough, Chocolate Cherry, and Peanut Butter and the older Mint, Birthday Cake, and I think Chocolate. They didn't have a ton but they had both their newer and older flavors! :)

139449_1.jpg

I've been wanting to try that protein powder but I've been putting it off because they don't have sample packets. I do love MusclePharm though, I have yet to be disappointed in their powders so I'll have to try it! Was it more cake-y or did it taste like rich icing (if that makes sense)?

I remember it tasted pretty cakey & when I would put it in oatmeal with some water or almond milk it became thick almost like an oatmeal cake.
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love greek non fat yogurt with powdered chocolate peanut butter.

15482907.png
  • hgycta
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Went to Target again to stock up on Halo Top and also splurge and try the new Filled Peeps. I bought the Triple Chocolate and also the Vanilla Caramel Brownie, but so far I have only tried the Triple Chocolate. It's dangerously delicious. My father hates Peeps and loved it too, but we both agree it's even better in the microwave (but VERY messy)! It's easily the best Peeps item I've ever had and is perfect for anyone going through PMS! Reminds me of Enlightened's Triple Chocolate ice cream in Peeps form xD
    aesdeoe2c1a0.jpg
  • hgycta
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just tried the Caramel Filled Peeps and at first I honestly didn't know which one I like more. However, this one becomes more subtle and I think I like the chocolate more (but then again, I didn't microwave this one or try the chocolate one at room temperature). I think I've been eating too much ice cream because this one reminds me of Halo Top's salted caramel ice cream >.> It even has that same small glob of caramel :')
    j7acaw612rsf.jpg
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Just tried the Caramel Filled Peeps and at first I honestly didn't know which one I like more. However, this one becomes more subtle and I think I like the chocolate more (but then again, I didn't microwave this one or try the chocolate one at room temperature). I think I've been eating too much ice cream because this one reminds me of Halo Top's salted caramel ice cream >.> It even has that same small glob of caramel :')
    j7acaw612rsf.jpg

I had this one yesterday and it was so good! I should have bought chocolate one too!