New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    yeah they are just the hero bars and they've been out since early may..... https://www.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-Protein-Vanilla-Caramel/dp/B06Y1WQN38?th=1

Will probably pick them up if I see them to try or if I feel like going to GNC tomorrow as I hear they are giving away free samples.
    81LTfoOHW2L._SX522_.jpg
    81CRkkvcQ3L._SX522_.jpg
    81BDCJhi75L._SX522_.jpg

Yup, GNC bars are free today! I hope they still have stock when I get there after work...

http://www.freebieshark.com/2017/05/gnc-free-quest-hero-protein-bar-in-store-today-only.html

I might go check, if I have time. With my luck they won't have any though...
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to try the new Quest Hero bars, but I have to say, the Balance Bar Chocolate Craze is AMAZING and much less expensive. And it doesn't have that protein-y aftertaste I get from most Quest bars.

http://www.balance.com/products/chocolate-craze/

evx5vhcxxskx.png
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The Quest Hero bar looks good (got my free one) but has 13 g of sugar. Not *awful*, but too much for me in one go. I'll feed it to my husband, see what he thinks.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The Quest Hero bar looks good (got my free one) but has 13 g of sugar. Not *awful*, but too much for me in one go. I'll feed it to my husband, see what he thinks.

According to Quest, the sugar content comes from Allulose, some new sugar-like substance that is like a sweetener more than anything, but the FDA requires them to list as a sugar even though it doesn't affect blood sugar. Or at least, that's what the little video explained that I for some reason watched on their website.

I went to GNC and was very surprised to see they had a ton of these bars left! I mentioned it to the girl working, who had never heard of the free promotion, but asked her manager and happily handed me the Blueberry Cobbler flavor with a gentle warning of how disappointing they are.

Now, out of all the flavors announced, this would have been the last one I would have ever tried as I like chocolate and caramel WAY more than fruit flavored things. Still, I love their Blueberry Muffin protein bar so I remained optimistic. Unfortunately, after trying it I wasn't impressed and I'll never buy it again. I might try the other Hero bars, but here's the good and the bad:

Pros: Not as gooey as I had expected, making them more convenient to eat without making a mess. Tastes better microwaved (after microwaving it, I noticed that the flavor and texture of the bar was VERY similar to the Beyond Cereal bars, something I overlooked when it was room temperature). Very easy for Quest to use this base for more flavors in the future (*ahem* cream cheese coated red velvet, maybe?)

Cons: Out of the entire bar, only once did I really taste the blueberry. It's very underwhelming overall, and the coating does have an artificial flavor to it. If you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners, this bar is not for you. If you hated the Beyond Cereal bars, this bar is not for you. It's nothing THAT ground breaking, and it definitely won't even come close to replacing a candy bar. I still choose regular protein bars over this. As I'm writing this, I'm noticing more and more of a chalky, bitter aftertaste. Yuck.

b4ltoxu9cc0m.jpg
  • Francl27
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »

According to Quest, the sugar content comes from Allulose, some new sugar-like substance that is like a sweetener more than anything, but the FDA requires them to list as a sugar even though it doesn't affect blood sugar. Or at least, that's what the little video explained that I for some reason watched on their website.

I went to GNC and was very surprised to see they had a ton of these bars left! I mentioned it to the girl working, who had never heard of the free promotion, but asked her manager and happily handed me the Blueberry Cobbler flavor with a gentle warning of how disappointing they are.

Now, out of all the flavors announced, this would have been the last one I would have ever tried as I like chocolate and caramel WAY more than fruit flavored things. Still, I love their Blueberry Muffin protein bar so I remained optimistic. Unfortunately, after trying it I wasn't impressed and I'll never buy it again. I might try the other Hero bars, but here's the good and the bad:

Pros: Not as gooey as I had expected, making them more convenient to eat without making a mess. Tastes better microwaved (after microwaving it, I noticed that the flavor and texture of the bar was VERY similar to the Beyond Cereal bars, something I overlooked when it was room temperature). Very easy for Quest to use this base for more flavors in the future (*ahem* cream cheese coated red velvet, maybe?)

Cons: Out of the entire bar, only once did I really taste the blueberry. It's very underwhelming overall, and the coating does have an artificial flavor to it. If you're sensitive to artificial sweeteners, this bar is not for you. If you hated the Beyond Cereal bars, this bar is not for you. It's nothing THAT ground breaking, and it definitely won't even come close to replacing a candy bar. I still choose regular protein bars over this. As I'm writing this, I'm noticing more and more of a chalky, bitter aftertaste. Yuck.

... bah. I do like the Beyond bars though so maybe I would like them? I was too lazy and busy to go to GNC today but I'll pick them up if I see them (still looking for the elusive maple donut Oh Yeah bar).
  • theamazingcassiebunny
    theamazingcassiebunny Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not new, but new to me...Enlightened frozen hot cocoa. It was AMAZING! I will so be buying again. I like their caramel oatmeal cookie flavor, but the caramel tastes pretty artificial. Not the case with frozen hot cocoa. Loved it.

ETA: I also bought the butter pecan. Looking forward to trying it.
  • hgycta
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

... bah. I do like the Beyond bars though so maybe I would like them? I was too lazy and busy to go to GNC today but I'll pick them up if I see them (still looking for the elusive maple donut Oh Yeah bar).

I think you should try one because you never know, but only pick up one and make it the one which appeals to you the most, because honestly I can't picture you liking it! You're the harshest critic of us all, so if I didn't like it I can almost promise you won't. But again, you never know! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of it!
  • Francl27
    Options

I think you should try one because you never know, but only pick up one and make it the one which appeals to you the most, because honestly I can't picture you liking it! You're the harshest critic of us all, so if I didn't like it I can almost promise you won't. But again, you never know! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts of it!

I usually only buy those things when there's a BOGO offer or a sale so it will probably be a while, lol. Otherwise it's $2 or more for a bar and I'm just not spending that.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    5oeeet71umzu.jpg
    This stuff is amazing! Not really hot at all, but it just tastes sooo good. My grocery store only carries the tiny bottles, so on my last trip I bought 4. Yup- that good.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Stroll into any Gold's Gym and they'll have them, that's where I get mine. For some reason GNC doesn't have this flavor.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Not new, but new to me...Enlightened frozen hot cocoa. It was AMAZING! I will so be buying again. I like their caramel oatmeal cookie flavor, but the caramel tastes pretty artificial. Not the case with frozen hot cocoa. Loved it.

ETA: I also bought the butter pecan. Looking forward to trying it.

Love, love, love the frozen hot chocolate! The huge chunks of marshmallow are amazing!
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options

b4ltoxu9cc0m.jpg

I actually really enjoyed this bar lol! I liked how the blueberry topper wasn't runny, and thought it complimented the cereal bar texture perfectly from a ratio standpoint. I didn't find it artificial tasting at all, especially in comparison of some other quest bars, and really like the coating which tasted reminiscent of a cinnamon roll flavoring. Keep in mind, I'm a blueberry fanatic, so maybe I'm biased. Will try the other 2 flavors to see, but I would def buy the cobbler flavor again :) I finally got my hands on the Oh Yeah One Blueberry flavor, so I'll see which I like better since Oh Yeah in general is my current favorite protein bar.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options

I like the Beyond bars too so will probably buy one of each flavor just to try at some point. I wish they had a few more grams of protein for the calories tho.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

b4ltoxu9cc0m.jpg

every review i have read says that they did not like them... plus personally i think the macros are terrible. definitely a pass for me.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    5oeeet71umzu.jpg
    This stuff is amazing! Not really hot at all, but it just tastes sooo good. My grocery store only carries the tiny bottles, so on my last trip I bought 4. Yup- that good.

They are by far my favorite hot sauces. I love the chipotle one. I have to keep a look out for this one. Thanks!
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post pictures, but I saw on IG that Enlightened is coming out with Marshmallow treats. So, protein laden rice krispie treats! I love everything from Enlightened, so am looking really forward to these
  • hgycta
    Options
    kaygold wrote: »
    I don't know how to post pictures, but I saw on IG that Enlightened is coming out with Marshmallow treats. So, protein laden rice krispie treats! I love everything from Enlightened, so am looking really forward to these

I've seen other companies do stuff like that, but I've never been a fan of Rice Krispies so I'll pass on that one. I enjoy their bean crisps though! I wish a companies would make a low calorie, high protein whoopie pie :p
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

b4ltoxu9cc0m.jpg

every review i have read says that they did not like them... plus personally i think the macros are terrible. definitely a pass for me.

Yeah I probably won't try 200 calories and they look smaller than quest bars plus I was not a fan of the cereal bar texture. I'll try if I get free samples though lol
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    81HrNhmu05L._SL1500_.jpg
    Has anyone tried this brand? They have a ton of different flavors, sweet an savory. I added it to my June sub&save with Amazon but anyone have experience with them?

EDIT: Went to the original website and may have ordered almost one of everything.