New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    I did like the thinslim bread. It was a lot more filling than the usual 45 calorie light wheat bread I buy. For the price, I would not buy the bread since it is far more expensive than light bread at the store and isn't nice and soft. Sometimes I am not in the mood for super soft bread though and want something more hearty. This really felt like a 90 calorie piece of bread and was pretty thick. It had a nice nutty taste to it as well. 7/10

thinslim-foods-review-sq.jpg
    71Yb3h128RL._SL1500_.jpg

The brownie was not good. Tasted like walden farms chocolate syrup, yuck. The almond one was okay, but just kind of tasted like a warmed up protein cake in a mug. Nothing I would buy again.

I found the texture of the bread to be a little weird - too sponge-y for me. Of the baked good, I kind of liked the vanilla muffin, but couldn't eat the others. I am holding out hope for the pasta though. I love pasta and I'm hoping this one tastes ok. I am thinking about using it in a tuna casserole or something like that to cut the calories.

I agree, the texture was not like normal bread. I love the soft 45 calorie wheat bread I have and this was more of an ezekiel bread or gluten free bread consistency. I did enjoy it though toasted and felt like I was eating hearty slice for the calories. I wouldn't buy for how much money they are though and with mediocre taste, definitely not worth it.

Same here with the pasta. I've been saving it to try. I am hoping it will be decent because it seems like a pretty huge serving size for the calories. I can't stand any of the tofu/miracle pastas. I haven't had pasta in years because I usually don't find it that great or worth all the calories.

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    I did like the thinslim bread. It was a lot more filling than the usual 45 calorie light wheat bread I buy. For the price, I would not buy the bread since it is far more expensive than light bread at the store and isn't nice and soft. Sometimes I am not in the mood for super soft bread though and want something more hearty. This really felt like a 90 calorie piece of bread and was pretty thick. It had a nice nutty taste to it as well. 7/10

thinslim-foods-review-sq.jpg
    71Yb3h128RL._SL1500_.jpg

The brownie was not good. Tasted like walden farms chocolate syrup, yuck. The almond one was okay, but just kind of tasted like a warmed up protein cake in a mug. Nothing I would buy again.

I found the texture of the bread to be a little weird - too sponge-y for me. Of the baked good, I kind of liked the vanilla muffin, but couldn't eat the others. I am holding out hope for the pasta though. I love pasta and I'm hoping this one tastes ok. I am thinking about using it in a tuna casserole or something like that to cut the calories.

I agree, the texture was not like normal bread. I love the soft 45 calorie wheat bread I have and this was more of an ezekiel bread or gluten free bread consistency. I did enjoy it though toasted and felt like I was eating hearty slice for the calories. I wouldn't buy for how much money they are though and with mediocre taste, definitely not worth it.

Same here with the pasta. I've been saving it to try. I am hoping it will be decent because it seems like a pretty huge serving size for the calories. I can't stand any of the tofu/miracle pastas. I haven't had pasta in years because I usually don't find it that great or worth all the calories.

The pasta isn't anything at all like the shirataki miracle pastas! But they're definitely not regular pasta, either. They're not as soft, they're more chewy but also REALLY REALLY REALLY filling. Personally I sort of enjoy them, but you can definitely tell they're not regular noodles. At least they're shelf-stable and don't have a funky smell if nothing else XD

Also, Junk Banter posted more flavors of this yogurt... *drools* I already looked at Shoprite and nothing yet :'c
    54v2ompbrm09.png
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    I’ve been wanting to try these bagels for a LONG time now so I finally splurged while at Wegman’s. 260 calories and 28g of protein, amazing macros! Unfortunately, the bagel itself is a little weird and might put a lot of people off. It’s more chewy and has a slight “fake” taste similar to The Dough Bar Doughnuts. I would get it again if it were less money but I spent $7 on these and I could live without them (I’d rather save money and eat a smaller regular bagel with some eggs). You can definitely tell they’re not a regular bagel, but if you gave them to a stranger they might guess it’s a gluten free bagel since it sort of has that similar texture. 10/10 for the macros, 6/10 for the taste. Better than ThinSlim Food Bagels, but not by much and it’s also 2.5x more calories so I’m not sure if it’s fair to compare them.
    -snipped-

Yet another argument for not ruining a delicious food by trying to cram protein into it.

Instead, just eat a delicious regular bagel and drink a straight protein shake. Similar macros but without powering through a 6/10 tasting "bagel".

(I have similar thoughts on protein pancakes, protein muffins, protein cookies, etc. STOP MAKING DELICIOUS FOOD LESS DELICIOUS!!)

/rant

I dont agree. I actually like those bagels for couple of reasons.
    #1. They are huge and only 260cal with a load of protein. Show me real sized bagel for less calories.
    #2. I never eat my bagels plain, but with stuff in it like a sandwich (toss in some cheese, tomato, pickles, lettuce etc. top with mayo or mustard) and you have a very healthy and hearty meal. No need for extra protein.

Just because you never had a good protein "whatever", dont say that all are crappy :)

Eat them because they're low cal then, but don't pretend like they're a superior bagel. She said herself that it was 6/10. Who wants to eat a 6/10 bagel when there are 10/10 bagels in the world (and maybe 9/10 bagels reasonably locally available)?

And the protein source in those protein-added foods is often an inferior protein.

And if there *is* a good protein "whatever"...as in, it actually tastes better than (or maybe even same as) the non-protein-added version, I'd gladly eat it instead...because it tastes better. It's just that that isn't actually a thing that exists in the world. Anywhere. Ever.

But you do you...

...and enjoy your inferior-tasting, protein-added foods...

...as long as you and your kind don't squeeze the originally delicious foods out of the market, I'm okay with you being wrong.

**mutter**6/10bagelswtf**mutter**

I'm totally with you that a real bagel tastes way better but in P28's defense they do use whey protein isolate in the bagels which is a complete protein as it contains all 9 essential amino acids and since it's low in lactose it's usually digested better for those who have lactose intolerance or a milk allergy of any kind.
    I understand both sides of the argument, I just think it depends what your "prized" food is. Some people are more picky than others. For me, I looooove real maple syrup and pancakes. If I'm craving pancakes, I want IHOP specifically and if sugar-free syrup comes anywhere near that delicious stack I'm going to swat it away like an annoying gnat. To budget in terms of calories for these beloved pancakes, yes, I would sacrifice a delicious bagel for one of these protein bagels because the trade-off is worth it. Or yes, I would use almond milk in my cereal instead of regular milk even though it's obviously not going to taste as good. It's all about trade-offs and what's worth it. If you're a hardcore bagel lover like I love my pancakes it's not even worth trying, but if you love pancakes and all other foods as much as I do then it's worth using to save room for more calories on something else while keeping you full (really my complaint was over the price, but I suppose you get what you pay for).
    Now let's go back to things that really matter. IS COTTON CANDY GOING TO BE A HALO TOP FLAVOR OR NO?

Do they mean new in general or the Gingerbread?
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Nugo bars. I only eat them because my aunt gave me a box before she unexpectedly passed away...

whe4hbry8ars.png
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    8qepge3szbpl.jpg
    0qal152qm2df.jpg
    hcv2joreqpgb.jpg

Not that these are all 'new' for me (or you guys) but the almond powder will be a first for me.
  • hgycta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    8qepge3szbpl.jpg
    0qal152qm2df.jpg
    hcv2joreqpgb.jpg

Not that these are all 'new' for me (or you guys) but the almond powder will be a first for me.

Powdered almond butter? Where did you even get that!?

I tried the goji berry Snow Monkey pint tonight and I'm far less impressed than the cacao last night. I microwaved the cacao flavor 25 seconds so it wasn't solid whereas this one I let thaw for 15 minutes so I don't know if that had any influence on this but this goji berry pint was much more icy and reminded me of Arctic Zero in terms of texture. The cacao was great and creamy, so I'm not sure why they turned out so different. I've never been a HUGE fruit person so the cacao is the clear winner for me, but still, the ingredients are great and it's hard for me not to respect them. Both flavors grow on you quick. The goji berry is better than Arctic Zero at least because it has a lot of flavor, but I'm definitely sticking to the cacao.

40cp6rexb8ac.jpeg
    dhh0nhiqq3ik.jpeg
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Are almond powder and almond flour the same thing?

• Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Nugo bars. I only eat them because my aunt gave me a box before she unexpectedly passed away...

whe4hbry8ars.png

Lovee the dark chocolate pretzel ones
  • hgycta
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

I know peanut flour and peanut butter powder are different. I was under the assumption that almond powder is similar to peanut butter powder in that you add water and it turns it into a nut spread whereas almond flour/meal is more for baking... I could be wrong though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited November 2017
    Options
    8qepge3szbpl.jpg
    0qal152qm2df.jpg
    hcv2joreqpgb.jpg

I tried samples of the powdered almond butter before and really liked it although I prefer powdered pb because the almond was kind of boring. Still good though because I can have 4tbsp instead of 2 lol. I also like the powdered but butters because I like to make a sauce with them to put on fruit, pancakes, etc. It was really good though when I mixed in w little sugar free maple syrup. They also sent me powdered chocolate hazelnut butter which was fantastic. I added it to fruit wrap made of strawberries and truvia and warmed it up delicious!
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Wow I missed a lot here today :D
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

I know peanut flour and peanut butter powder are different. I was under the assumption that almond powder is similar to peanut butter powder in that you add water and it turns it into a nut spread whereas almond flour/meal is more for baking... I could be wrong though.

That makes sense. I should have wrote: powdered almond butter - like the powdered pb butter

I tried samples of the powdered almond butter before and really liked it although I prefer powdered pb because the almond was kind of boring. Still good though because I can have 4tbsp instead of 2 lol. I also like the powdered but butters because I like to make a sauce with them to put on fruit, pancakes, etc. It was really good though when I mixed in w little sugar free maple syrup. They also sent me powdered chocolate hazelnut butter which was fantastic. I added it to fruit wrap made of strawberries and truvia and warmed it up delicious!

@Noreenmarie1234 - what brand did you purchase...I'm intrigued that yours you were able to have double the amount for same calories (mine is not like that)

@hgycta - you can purchase from Amazon and now my local grocery store carries it (Canada)

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Quest is phasing out some of their bar flavors in order to make room for new SKUs... stay tuned :)

https://www.questnutrition.com/collections/protein-bars
  • hgycta
    Options
    Quest is phasing out some of their bar flavors in order to make room for new SKUs... stay tuned :)

I liked banana nut muffin so I'm actually kind of sad about this, but I'm sure I'll get over it as soon as the new flavors are announced! They nailed the mocha flavor so I'm really hoping for a salted caramel mocha or caramel macchiato bar, they need a caramel! I'm also hoping for red velvet, cotton candy, carrot cake, pecan pie, gingerbread, and eggnog... I don't ask for much.

So... @pancakerunner you're really just going to leave us all hanging about those new Halo Top flavors? Not cool, not cool </3 Can we at least know when to expect an announcement on Facebook about it???
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited November 2017
    Options

I don't mind getting rid of any of those. I was never a fan of any of those flavors. The worst thing is when a company gets rid of your favorites. That has happened a few times for me. Can't wait to see some new flavors. I second @hgycta with the cotton candy, carrot cae, gingerbread, pecan pie, red velvet. Also I would like some caramel ones too or maybe a chocolate butterscotch, butterscotch chip, and some dark chocolate flavors like dark chocolate raspberry or dark chocolate covered strawberry OR dark chocolate salted pretzel.

@vegmebuff I was comparing to regular non powdered nut butters not other brands of powdered nut butters, sorry if I confused you, haha. I just meant that regular nut butters are generally 200 cal for 2tbsp and the powdered ones a serving size is 2tbsp + 1tbsp water (45-50 cal) so I have 8 tbsp powder (200 cal) and I usually add extra water because I prefer it less thick, so I get a TON of pb which is so much more satisfying to me lol.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I'm totally over Quest now but what are SKUs?
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm totally over Quest now but what are SKUs?

The bar codes, though I'm not sure why they don't just buy more, they're not that expensive to purchase...

Or, maybe any excuse to get rid of PB&J (yuck) is a good one...
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Aww, I like the PBJ flavor. :/