Not so healthy foods

Options

Replies

• AngelMarie38
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    There are no bad foods, just bad information and bad decisions which lead to bad behavior.

True and its all a learning process.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tell that to the thousands of starving children of hard working parents in this first world country

Whether or not the OP or Aviva throw away food has zero effect on anyone else (except possibly the husband in this scenario). I really hate this kind of argument--it's no more rational than the "what about the people starving in Ethiopia" or whatever way of guilting kids about not finishing their plate, and I don't think feeling like I must finish my plate is necessarily a positive thing.

Also, I volunteer for a local homeless shelter and baked goods are always available at breakfast because Starbucks donates them (day old ones). They don't seem to be very popular--they are always left over and most people go for cereal and (to some extent) fruit. For similar reasons baked goods are available pretty cheap most places toward closing time, since they are going to toss them anyway. Avoiding any waste of past their prime baked goods is impossible and just going to frustrate anyone who tries, and serves far too easily--I know my mind plays this trick--as an excuse to eat extra leftover pie or whatever it is.

Of course, based on the original post, OP has no desire to throw away the donuts and isn't mad at her husband (who seems to be dieting too) for bringing home the donuts and isn't even experiencing will power problems. She's trying to figure out if she has an excuse to eat multiple donuts (or so it sounds) since the diet is ruined for the day anyway or if they should eat one a day. I think they should make the donuts fit into their calories as possible (and as others have said, it is), which means no excuse for just going nuts, eat one today, another tomorrow. Eating one donuts does NOT mean your diet is ruined for the day.

I imagine OP either ate or did not eat the donuts already, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But OP's question implied to me that she can control herself. She asked if it would be better to stretch out the donuts over several days so I inferred that that was an option for her.

Yep. People are reading in their own issues. OP did not seem to toss the donuts and seemed fine eating them slowly over time, but just seemed to think it wasn't possible to do that while on a diet. Since it is, problem solved.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Tell that to the thousands of starving children of hard working parents in this first world country

Whether or not the OP or Aviva throw away food has zero effect on anyone else (except possibly the husband in this scenario). I really hate this kind of argument--it's no more rational than the "what about the people starving in Ethiopia" or whatever way of guilting kids about not finishing their plate, and I don't think feeling like I must finish my plate is necessarily a positive thing.

Also, I volunteer for a local homeless shelter and baked goods are always available at breakfast because Starbucks donates them (day old ones). They don't seem to be very popular--they are always left over and most people go for cereal and (to some extent) fruit. For similar reasons baked goods are available pretty cheap most places toward closing time, since they are going to toss them anyway. Avoiding any waste of past their prime baked goods is impossible and just going to frustrate anyone who tries, and serves far too easily--I know my mind plays this trick--as an excuse to eat extra leftover pie or whatever it is.

Of course, based on the original post, OP has no desire to throw away the donuts and isn't mad at her husband (who seems to be dieting too) for bringing home the donuts and isn't even experiencing will power problems. She's trying to figure out if she has an excuse to eat multiple donuts (or so it sounds) since the diet is ruined for the day anyway or if they should eat one a day. I think they should make the donuts fit into their calories as possible (and as others have said, it is), which means no excuse for just going nuts, eat one today, another tomorrow. Eating one donuts does NOT mean your diet is ruined for the day.

I hope so. As them *kitten* would be stale by now

I like your answer so +1

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP:Your thread has gone very off track. Best of luck with your decision, and your diet.
    If you're asking the question, you're struggling with moderation at this point (which often happens during a weight loss diet). I'd say: have a donut, and with hubs' blessing, give the rest away. Take em to work. Take em to the neighbor's. Or ask hubs to put them somewhere out of sight. Then distract yourself.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Agree^^^^^

I also don't get the whole don't throw food away because there are starving children. Imagine someone knocking on your door saying "Hey I served myself this and couldn't eat it, you want it?".

Also, I work hard, I make money and I spend my money. How I spend my money or waste my money is my business. The thought that other people don't have money isn't a factor being considered when I spend my money because it's my money. Oh no, I can't spend $4 on a cupcake because James down the block can't isn't something being said.
    I like that you said the bolded part. I have had a few people reprimand me (for lack of a better word, I guess) for things I choose to spend my money on. Some of these things being food items, others being clothes I've bought and decided I didn't like too much, whatever.

I try not to waste food and I donate clothes that I don't use, and it's no one's place to tell me that I shouldn't buy it if I'm going to let it go to waste.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »

Agree^^^^^

I also don't get the whole don't throw food away because there are starving children. Imagine someone knocking on your door saying "Hey I served myself this and couldn't eat it, you want it?".

Also, I work hard, I make money and I spend my money. How I spend my money or waste my money is my business. The thought that other people don't have money isn't a factor being considered when I spend my money because it's my money. Oh no, I can't spend $4 on a cupcake because James down the block can't isn't something being said.
    I like that you said the bolded part. I have had a few people reprimand me (for lack of a better word, I guess) for things I choose to spend my money on. Some of these things being food items, others being clothes I've bought and decided I didn't like too much, whatever.

I try not to waste food and I donate clothes that I don't use, and it's no one's place to tell me that I shouldn't buy it if I'm going to let it go to waste.

agree…if I have leftovers and they go bad, then they are going in the trash …I don't like to do it, but I am not going to leave molded food in the fridge just because of starving people…sorry …

• stephhoward7
    stephhoward7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ItsMe0909 wrote: »
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.

I agree!

OP, maybe just explain how having that temptation in the house makes you feel to your husband to try to prevent this decision in future.

The way I explained it to my hubby is that it is like having a spouse who is an alcoholic who is trying to stop drinking and bringing home a case of their favorite beer every night and drinking it in front of them and expecting them not to want to drink it. If you can spare them the discomfort and encourage them to better their health then isn't that what we do for loved ones? We already face enough challenges outside the home, it helps when home is a "safe zone."

Just an opinion, I am sure others may not agree. :)

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Did you advise your husband you are on a diet? If so; not very supportive that he brought a high calorie temptation home in the first place.

I agree!

OP, maybe just explain how having that temptation in the house makes you feel to your husband to try to prevent this decision in future.

The way I explained it to my hubby is that it is like having a spouse who is an alcoholic who is trying to stop drinking and bringing home a case of their favorite beer every night and drinking it in front of them and expecting them not to want to drink it. If you can spare them the discomfort and encourage them to better their health then isn't that what we do for loved ones? We already face enough challenges outside the home, it helps when home is a "safe zone."

so brining donuts home = brining alcohol home to tempt an alcoholic …..???? Now, we have just crossed the line into ludicrousness ….
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    just caught up on the thread. should have realized it would turn into an argument.

you shouldn't worry about food getting thrown out. if your husband can't finish it himself, then too bad. let him throw it out. you don't have to eat it if you don't want to.

Why does he have to throw it out?
    If he doesn't finish it today, he can't finish it tomorrow?

my point is, she isn't required to eat it. he can do with it what he wants. of course that's exactly what i said, but you read something else in my post.

if your husband can't finish it himself, then too bad. let him throw it out.
    Who said he wanted to throw them out?
    Who said he can't finish them?

i said "if"

quit trolling

Well no one said that, you're just getting a little aggressive there. If he can't finish it TOO BAD!!! Yikes

are you trying to troll me into saying something you can report or something? move on.

I thought that was your strategy?

nope. i'd rather people got along.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    There are no bad foods, just bad information and bad decisions which lead to bad behavior.

I think if that is a philosophy that works for you, go with it. If it helps people to engage in better nutrition to categorize food as good or bad, I see nothing wrong with that.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

I agree!

It's not really fair to expect your s.o. to watch their diet just because you are watching yours, just like it's not fair for her husband to expect her to eat the donuts just because he brought them home, if that's what he did.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    I am most concerned about making healthy real life choices with real food, all types- instead of unhealthy bingeing on any type of food, period.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I too asked my husband about this, and since he's not really a donuts fan I used the example of Five Guys since we both really like Five Guys food. There is a Five Guys by his work (an hour away) so he eats it somewhat often for lunch, but jokingly he said "Don't worry, I'd never bring you home any Five Guys" the joke subtext being that he wouldn't be able to bring any home because he'd want to eat it all himself and not share. Though it was a joke, I felt somewhat irritated at even the idea of my husband taking it upon himself to "spare me the temptation" as if I lacked sense.

So, I think I'm the type of person who would be more offended by anyone believing I need babying and adult supervision or I'll lose control, than I would be by people believing I won't fall apart or turn into a ravenous werewolf at the sight of Five Guys or a sack of donuts.
  • stephhoward7
    Options

[/quote]

so brining donuts home = brining alcohol home to tempt an alcoholic …..???? Now, we have just crossed the line into ludicrousness ….[/quote]

Like I said, everyone may not agree, but for some people it takes having the support of a loved one to get through difficult health challenges. That is all I meant by my example.

And yes, I do think that for some people food is an addiction which, like other unhealthy addictions, takes self restraint and willpower to overcome... But I know for me personally it is easier in the beginning to not have to walk past trigger foods 15 times a day and my husband doesn't seem to mind choosing different treats for himself that are not as challenging for me to pass up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

so brining donuts home = brining alcohol home to tempt an alcoholic …..???? Now, we have just crossed the line into ludicrousness ….

Like I said, everyone may not agree, but for some people it takes having the support of a loved one to get through difficult health challenges. That is all I meant by my example.

And yes, I do think that for some people food is an addiction which, like other unhealthy addictions, takes self restraint and willpower to overcome... But I know for me personally it is easier in the beginning to not have to walk past trigger foods 15 times a day and my husband doesn't seem to mind choosing different treats for himself that are not as challenging for me to pass up.

She didn't really seem upset about it at all to me. Maybe I misread the OP but she didn't seem to me to be implying that she's an addict or even that she's prone to binging. Since she hasn't come back maybe we'll never know.
  • stephhoward7
    Options
    jessij215 wrote: »
    When you have not so healthy food in the house (that you know you won't be satisfied until they're gone) and you can't throw them out, is it better to just eat them up and get rid of them or is it better to stretch out the sabotage over multiple days? For example my husband brought home some doughnuts, should we get them eaten up and have 1 REALLY bad day, or have a couple of pretty bad caloric

When did the OP say she didn't want him to bring the donuts home or that she didn't want to eat any at all?

Also, I disagree with your comparison to this and alcohol. [/quote]

Of course, you're right. She didn't say that specifically but I felt her post alluded to it since she said "sabotage."

I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you disagree with my opinion. That affirms what I said at the end of my first post. :)

I hope the OP finds something in this thread that makes sense to her and helps her on her journey, as that is the goal if I'm not mistaken.