NO Veggies Diet? Would it work?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't think anyone really LOVES veggies.

I do. I'm sure many do. And the more regularly I eat them the more likely I am to crave them and really miss them when they aren't available for a particular meal. Proper cooking (of the ones best cooked) is the key. Well, and for some getting them in season helps.

But that aside, nice practical advice.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Speak for yourself. I absolutely love veggies! We had a fantastic garden this year and there was nothing better than picking cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower . . . . all sorts of veggies and eating them fresh from the garden! We froze a lot so my biggest problem is WHICH veggie I want to eat with my meal.

Mmmm. Veggies!

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I love veggies!

I didn't always...it took years of trying new things and learning to cook in different ways though.

I really enjoy having a garden and eating things that I have grown myself. I definitely eat more veggies when they are coming from my own efforts.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i had my veggies tonight in the form of ratatouille, it was yummy
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I had seen this on Pinterest and looks delicious - may have to try it one of these days!
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I don't eat vegtables, with the exception of lettuce and occasionally Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat.

Vegetables taste like crap, unless covered in fat and cheese. I'm not really into training myself like things that taste like crap and I prefer to not spend my calories on such things. That's just me tho. Some people are really into eating stuff they don't like because health.

And not eating things they do like.

And generally making themselves unhappy.

Long term deficiencies = serious health problems. Good luck with that.

Your clearly selfless concern is noted. I'm not worried, but it's adorable that you are.

You seem like a really lovely person. :)

Well, yes, I am actually.

At least when compared to someone trying to scare others into eating vegetables with threats of health problems. Far as I can tell you're no better than the people promising me a life of diabetes and obesity if I don't stop eating sugar.

Too bad it's common sense that if a person eats minimal vegetables, they are putting themselves at a high risk of deficiencies in essential vitamins and minerals. These deficiencies can, in fact, lead to serious health complications.

I don't have any deficiencies (except iron but that's because my body doesn't absorb it properly, not because of issues with food. In fact due to my iron absorption issues my doctor checks me for common deficiencies to ensure I'm not failing to absorb in other areas)

But I'll stay on the lookout for that there scurvy.

:sunglasses:

You may not have any deficiencies right now. Down the road….. well, can't guarantee that.

I guarantee that no one will come out of this alive. *nod*

There is no more solid guarantee of poor health and death than being born.

So. We should stop that. It's dangerous. Think of all the future medical issues!!

Being born is not a guarantee of poor health.

You might want to read what I said again.

"There is no more solid guarantee of poor health and death than being born."

While being born is not a gaurentee of bad health it is a fact that everyone who suffers from Ill health was born. It is the only thing everyone who suffers from bad health has in common. If you have bad health it is a gaurentee that you were born.

If you die it is also a gaurentee that you were born.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

What a silly thing to say. Many people love veggies. I spend a lot of my time on my veggies. If I was independantly wealthy, I'd spend a whole lot more on them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I don't eat vegtables, with the exception of lettuce and occasionally Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon fat.

Vegetables taste like crap, unless covered in fat and cheese. I'm not really into training myself like things that taste like crap and I prefer to not spend my calories on such things. That's just me tho. Some people are really into eating stuff they don't like because health.

Your clearly selfless concern is noted. I'm not worried, but it's adorable that you are.

At least when compared to someone trying to scare others into eating vegetables with threats of health problems. Far as I can tell you're no better than the people promising me a life of diabetes and obesity if I don't stop eating sugar.

Too bad it's common sense that if a person eats minimal vegetables, they are putting themselves at a high risk of deficiencies in essential vitamins and minerals. These deficiencies can, in fact, lead to serious health complications.

I don't have any deficiencies (except iron but that's because my body doesn't absorb it properly, not because of issues with food. In fact due to my iron absorption issues my doctor checks me for common deficiencies to ensure I'm not failing to absorb in other areas)

You may not have any deficiencies right now. Down the road….. well, can't guarantee that.

So. We should stop that. It's dangerous. Think of all the future medical issues!!

While being born is not a gaurentee of bad health it is a fact that everyone who suffers from Ill health was born. It is the only thing everyone who suffers from bad health has in common. If you have bad health it is a gaurentee that you were born.

True. Not what you originally said, but true.
  • Daiako
    Options

Not what you thought I said maybe, but I suppose I'm just asking for a lecture about how you'd like me to construct my sentences for the ease of your usage, nevermind that it was a tongue in cheek comment suggesting people stop breeding for the sake of 'health'.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Reading that made my head hurt.

• Daiako
    Options

Reading that made my head hurt.

It was a much easier to process statement the way it was originally for sure.

• Joncgilliam
    Joncgilliam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of ways to cook vegetables ... sauteed, in lasagne, tomato sauces, cheese sauces, roasted under the broiler. Winter squash might be a place to start - try baking that in the oven or dicing and roasting under the broiler. How about soups? You can get a lot of veggies into some sort of meat-based soup. Or take baby carrots, sliced shallots, fresh rosemary and thyme, some olive oil, and roast those under the broiler. How about perfection salad? Search for a recipe that uses sugar free jello.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone really LOVES veggies. Maybe. I don't know.

I do.... I looove brocolli. Especially steamed or in vietnamese pho or hot pot broth. I also looove steamed or sauteed zucchini with a bit of spices (e.g. berber or even just cayenne). Other veggies that I love: cauliflower, spinach (in a spinach salad w/ strawberries and vinaigrette dressing, or snuck into other foods, don't love it on its own). brussel sprouts, artichokes, asparagus, and sweet bell peppers. Yum yum!

I will say though that I don't usually crave vegetables and will often skip them if I don't make it a point to prepare them. But they are genuinely some of my favorite things to eat.

I actually CRAVE some vegetables. I LOVE them. Growing up I hated them. As part of my conscious effort to eat better, I learned to prepare them better, and crowded out a lot of crap in my diet with vegetables. Love them.

Also, tagging on an earlier post: I agree, In Defense of Food (Pollan) is a great read.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ratatouille ROCKS. Especially with edamame.

• 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had to google "perfection salad." Somehow, anything with the word "jello" and "salad" in it just doesn't sound like food to me. hehe ;) But never mind...carry on...

ETA...yummmmm!

pqw8fc7x9wx2.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Not what you thought I said maybe, but I suppose I'm just asking for a lecture about how you'd like me to construct my sentences for the ease of your usage, nevermind that it was a tongue in cheek comment suggesting people stop breeding for the sake of 'health'.

Construct them so they say what you will later say they meant. "...no more solid guarantee of poor health..." and "While being born is not a gaurentee of bad health" don't say the same things. No lecture, just think about it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I had to google "perfection salad." Somehow, anything with the word "jello" and "salad" in it just doesn't sound like food to me. hehe ;) But never mind...carry on...

ETA...yummmmm!

pqw8fc7x9wx2.jpg

That looks gross. :sick:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    IMO looks like congealed vomit. LOL
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

ETA...yummmmm!

pqw8fc7x9wx2.jpg

Oh dear god. RUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    IMO looks like congealed vomit. LOL

I was going to say bad congealed chicken and veggie soup, but yours is better.