Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    @LBuehrle8 Ok, you're off to the UK very soon. Here's your food list! Some Harry Potter related, some just British stuff that you have to try. In no particular order. (And to the Brits: Yes, I know that nobody in the UK eats like this really! Some of these are just things I miss and enjoy when we visit. Feel free to add to Laura's list!)

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Curry from a proper curry house (ideally at 11pm after the pub closes)
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Fish and chips (ideally eaten with fingers on a beach)
    Butterbeer
    Sunday roast (pubs are good if nobody wants to cook)
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

What is a chocolate frog? and what is butterbeer? I assure you those are not regular British things! Are they more a regional thing Tubbs?

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    @LBuehrle8 Ok, you're off to the UK very soon. Here's your food list! Some Harry Potter related, some just British stuff that you have to try. In no particular order. (And to the Brits: Yes, I know that nobody in the UK eats like this really! Some of these are just things I miss and enjoy when we visit. Feel free to add to Laura's list!)

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

What is a chocolate frog? and what is butterbeer? I assure you those are not regular British things! Are they more a regional thing Tubbs?

HARRY POTTER!
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

HARRY POTTER!

So things that don't really exist then :expressionless:

• orangesmartie
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

Your forgot MARMITE! I love it myself.
    Ah. I'm a hater myself, so....

i'm a hater too
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Welcome back @Tubbs216 and @girldownsouth

Buhler - what is the countdown? Have SOOOO much fun!

I leave on Friday woo hoo!! Thank you!!

Oh my goodness, Friday! Already? That went by fast!!! You must be getting so excited!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Random but my cats are running around like maniacs because I am awake.

This is my life x 5 (actually only 4 because Tater doesn't do much running, haha) but they usually to run like maniacs when we're sleeping. :tired_face:

It's 4 for me and usually they are asleep when I am but I think because I was awake they decided to have a party....

Yeah, ours aren't usually too bad...until about 3:00-4:00am which I'm usually up by then anyway. My husband and son have to deal with it while they're still sleeping though.

Also, I missed if you responded about the strike? I'm assuming no..and I could just look it up, but I'm super lazy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So I know I've been away from this thread because I can't keep up... But I got to get this out of my chest.

One of my kids' friends' mom asked me for a playdate at the waterpark today a couple days ago. I wasn't thinking and said yes... and I got my period yesterday.

I don't do tampons, but I have a menstrual cup.. which I've never managed to use properly but figured I'd give it another shot... 30 minutes later, I'm scratched, raw, and couldn't get the thing to open. I HATE MY BODY. I can't workout as much as I'd like because my calves are giving out on me, I'm always so hungry before my period that I end up undoing one or two weeks of deficit, and now I can't even do this for my kids.

Still going but we won't be able to do the things they like the most because I can't go far in the water, obviously. I'm in tears. So frustrated.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

HARRY POTTER!

So things that don't really exist then :expressionless:
    Well, they do now!
    79uqla3cg1bz.jpg
    b8y6q6lmi7ds.jpg

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I confess since losing a lot of weight I hate feeling my collarbone & ribs, but I don't mind feeling my hipbone.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    So TMI alert but here's a thought (you've been warned).

As previously bemoaned, a lovely side effect of pregnancy is the slowing down of one's bowel and all the delightful consequences associated therewith.

While I finally managed to 'lighten my load' earlier today after a few days of stalling, it occurred to me that perhaps this is nature's way of readying the body for birth. I swear I had to do breathing exercises to get through it!

I feel better now...

As I don't have children and therefore have never given birth, this scares me :#

Aaah I didn't mean to put anyone off. Pregnancy has thus far not been too bad. I haven't puked once! Also now I'm at the stage where people officially know, I feel I can stick my gut out as far as I like (even if it is primarily due to too much lunch rather than baby). There are positives too!

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

I'm just waiting for the clock to run out and hoping my health conditions mean early menopause!

Eeek. Be careful what you wish for...

Well, the tubal ligation thing didn't work out (lots of scar tissue in my abdominal cavity due to earlier things...) so that's my best hope. I have a couple of coworkers who said that honestly, aside from the hot flashes, theirs wasn't so bad, so I'm hoping it works out that way for me too.

Ah, sorry to hear you've got major problems. I had massive gynie issues for years and eventually a hysterectomy at age 33 was the only solution (and very welcome at that point).

Here are my menopause complaints:
    Insomnia (this one is the worst)
    Hot flashes (I wouldn't care so much if I only got hot but I get woozy and lightheaded too)
    Sudden violent intolerance to caffeine (major coffee lover)
    Rapid loss of muscle tissue
    Probable loss of bone density (can't say for certain as I haven't been tested recently)
    Periodic cognitive impairments -- memory, concentration -- I occasionally lose my extensive vocabulary and have been known to make weird word substitutions, like saying "chrysanthemum" instead of "cucumber"

But it seems that every woman experiences menopause a little differently, and I have known women who sailed through it with few issues.

There are lots worse things I could have had, and I survived, so no real complaints. :)
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Somehow the image is here on my computer. I'll have to look back and see what happened.

I can see it now--yum! What's the caramel looking stuff on the top? And did you really bake them in ice cube containers? :p

I used a silicone brownie bite pan that I use when I make butter toffee at Christmastime. Perfect size. The brownies were a salted caramel recipe, so the caramel was on top. They were great and thankfully none were left!
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 - I hope you find a way to enjoy the day, even though it will be rough. I know I have bad days during the cycle where all I want to do is stay home and sit in the shower, it's so bad.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    No time to read and catch up right now, but here are some pics of the new grandbaby, Lily Kay!hbbetwvo8su1.jpg
    p62qbks28dkf.jpg

Oh my so precious. I melted a little! I am currently obsessed over tiny little baby fingers and how they cling on to your pinkie. This is one of the things I'm looking forward to most!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! She has such a cute little serious face!!!!!!!!!! I think I've said a few times in this thread how very much I want a baby girl, but it's not in the cards for me, but she looks so adorable! I'm usually a bit biased toward girl babies but she is stinkin cute! ;)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options

Treacle Tart
    Bangers & Mash
    Cream cake from a bakery
    Sherbert lemons
    Bacon sandwich
    'Full English' breakfast
    Cornish pasty
    Trifle
    Chocolate Frog
    Spotted Dick & custard
    Pork pie
    Crumpets
    Cream Tea
    Butterbeer
    Toad In The Hole
    More curry

Your forgot MARMITE! I love it myself.

Yuck I hate Marmite!

I did manage to make Scotch eggs for DH and DS this weekend and I was quite proud of myself. They were awesome. DH was amazed (he'd never had them before) and devoured like 2 of them at once (I made them with XL eggs too so they were BIG lol).

And oh God British curry takeaway...nom nom nom mine at home never tastes as good...
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If we're still all part of the bat cave in a year or so I say we make plans to take a trip to meet!! Everyone's always saying come visit o:):)

You can meet the south east based of us when you come over.

And hopefully @girldownsouth and I will be heading to Tennessee next year (training and baby permitting) so we could congregate round there?

I'd come and cheer you runners on. No way my knee would survive a marathon, or even a half.

I'm going to try! My knees aren't the greatest but I'm at least going to try to do the half! I guess we'll see how well they take C25K first before I decide that for sure!

The reason I got serious about losing 40lbs is that my left knee was months from needing a total replacement. The right one is better but not much. I can do a 5k, but not much more than that.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My brother and I used to get into a lot of physical fights. After a while (since I'm the older sibling) I started phasing out of that (he also turned into a solid, broad-shouldered dude) and now when I look back I just feel stupid and confused about that whole fiasco. I'm not a violent person WHATSOEVER. I guess I had to make an exception for my brother :lol: My older sister had a bigger age difference than the two of us, so she wasn't around enough for us to fight. The one time she did pull my hair I was so shocked I just went to my room. :lol:

The rules just aren't the same when it comes to siblings. I was the perfect school student. Never got in trouble, great grades, never rude. But my brothers and I fought like cat and dog. Rarely anything serious, just stupid stuff, but must have been crap for my mother to live with. She used to get really annoyed after parent's evening because the teachers would give us glowing reports and then she'd be all, 'why can't you be like that at home!?'

We grew out of it. I grew out of it sooner (plus being the only girl my brothers cottoned on somewhat sooner it was wrong to hit a girl). But my elder brother (who was the worst offender) only really stopped bullying my younger brothers when one of them realised he was in fact bigger than him and hit him back properly. It had been brewing for some time, my elder brother really was unnecessarily mean to my younger brothers. That fixed that! They are all perfectly normal, nice men now. I wouldn't read too much into it.

One of my brothers tackled one of the others into and through the living room wall. Right between two load bearing joists. Scared me to death! But, yes, they have grown out of it too.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Haha when I showed SO the list he was like well we'll cross off half the things on that list but I have no idea what a chocolate frog is (he must be the only person I know who hasn't read Harry Potter!) So I had to explain to him that Harry Potter things were mixed into that list, it was hilarious :)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Okay so what's Marmite?
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    Options
    So this weekend was a re-fuel and relax weekend. Well, the best I could anyway. I'm starting to realize I have issues (well I know you all are like, "well DUH, Heather"). I can't sit still and I always have to be 100% ON EVERYTHING- I START EXERCISING, I WANT TO DO IT ALL NOW. I lose weight, I have to lose 5 lb/week or I feel badly. I did my C25K Fri morning and wasn't due to begin another session until today. It literally drove me crazy Sat and Sun because I wanted to do the runs.

My mom's been monitoring my Fitbit account (yes I'm 33 and my mother still checks my weight) bc she thinks I'm getting too thin, so I added 20 lbs to my weight on there. I'm now at 144 on there (I was 124 on my scale this morning). My OCD is going crazy bc the numbers are "wrong". I hate that. I hate that I just can't relax.

I did do a bunch of cooking ahead this past weekend- made Scotch eggs, roasted sweet potato and Sirloin salad, Machado/Avocado/Eggs, Czech meatballs and Almond Butter sauce, Gluten Free/Dairy Free/Soy Free Almond Butter Chia Cake, more Pannukakku with homemade salted caramel sauce and Banana Flan, and a batch of Fire Roasted Poblano and Tomatillo Sauce.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I bought coffee today after not having it since being in Punta Cana. Drank two big cups of it and now I'm wide awake despite it being past 1 AM. It was delicious goodness in a mug, but I kind of want to sleep now.
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

Apparently the use of the word sneakers isolated me to Yonkers, Newark and New York... Guess since I have lived most of my life in that area, except for 15 years between WI and IL, I would say that makes sense!
    On the shoe question I initially put "sneakers" and noticed that one of the options was tennis shoes right after I clicked NEXT. I think that's why it put me as sounding like I'm from Boston... I definitely say tennis shoes way more than sneakers.

I say it like "tenna shoes," even. I suppose that's more southern :tongue:

@FluffySandwich Where did you stay in Punta Cana?? Mr. NY and I are planning to go in October or December!

I know you didn't actually ask me, but I got back on Thursday. We stayed in the Riu Palace Macau, which is an adults only all inclusive, and it was really nice.

Thanks! I am actually just not catching up on posts from the weekend...I saw you went to DR and I was going to ask you about it! How was the food there?? And the beaches? We are definitely wanting an adults only place.

The beach was really nice, there were 5 hotels in our resort, each with their own bit of beach, so you could get a reasonable walk just walking along the seafront. There was some seaweed, but they cleared it up pretty well. There was one buffet restaurant and 4 a la cartes, Japanese, Steakhouse, Italian and Fusion, but they weren't really that a la carte, some had appetisers and dessert that everyone got and you could choose a main from about 4/5, others you could choose 3 courses. The food in all the restaurants was nice, but I got a bit fed with the haphazardness of buffet eating (breakfast and lunch were buffet only) but that would be the same I think in any all inclusive. Our room was nice, the bed was massive, but was basically 2 twins pushed together. The room had all inclusive mini bar and optics of spirits. The bars around were good, and all the staff were really lovely. There were 2 pools, one you could relax or swim a bit in, not that many did, and a pool bar. There was lots going on during the day, sports, aqua aerobics etc and a pool party in the pool bar for an hour or so a couple of times a week. I've seen some people say they thought it was too much, but to be honest I just read my book and tuned it out. There were also some of the watersports included, such as sea kayaking and others you could pay for. Every night there was a show, which was normally dancing, although some nights they did karaoke instead. There was a mix of Americans, Brits, Canadians, Germans, Belgians and other Europeans and South Americans there. I enjoyed it for what it was, I'm not sure I'd rush to go back to an all inclusive resort, but if you're going to the Caribbean that's probably what you are doing, and ours was a nice place. And if you like shows I definitely recommend you go to Coco Bongos one night, and pay the extra for VIP.