Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    crosbylee wrote: »
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    Well, you all were busy over the weekend and just now I am getting a chance to really catch up. @ShibaEars so glad the bat was negative. Huge relief for you!! I don't really get migraines, but I have seen my sister go through them and can sympathize with those of you that do get them. I have been trying to figure out what I want to watch next, but I have been walking more and losing interest in TV and movies pretty much. Give me a good book.

Lee Ann! What are you reading now? I'm a book lover, ever in search of the next great story. :-)

Hope I don't let anyone down, but I love Stephen King. Some of his more recent books I have enjoyed alot. Dr. Sleep is a sequel to The Shining. It was a good one. Then he has tied story lines across a couple of new books with Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers. I finally got to read 11/22/63. It was an interesting spin on time travel and how changing things can possibly affect the future. Also, a guilty pleasure of mine, I like young adult ficiton and have been reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I am going to write down some of the books you guys are reading. Most of it for me is pure escape.

Love Stephen King. Love. He is a master at character development, even though a lot of his endings suck. LOL I adore his short stories for the most part, and he's got a new collection coming out in November! *squee*
    The SyFy series Haven is based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid. As much as I love the tv show, I should read the book.

I will be looking up this series now... hee hee
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I peeled the crayon wrappers off my color blind brothers crayons, so he could not read the colors. Then I would get all the crayons.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    Well, you all were busy over the weekend and just now I am getting a chance to really catch up. @ShibaEars so glad the bat was negative. Huge relief for you!! I don't really get migraines, but I have seen my sister go through them and can sympathize with those of you that do get them. I have been trying to figure out what I want to watch next, but I have been walking more and losing interest in TV and movies pretty much. Give me a good book.

Lee Ann! What are you reading now? I'm a book lover, ever in search of the next great story. :-)

What types of books do you enjoy?

I like fiction, mostly fantasy (magic makes me happy), literature, and detective type novels. But I really will read most anything. My favorite series is by Patrick Rothfuss and is called the Kingkiller Chronicles. It's meant to be a trilogy, but book 3 hasn't yet been written. The first book in the series is called The Name of the Wind. It's got interesting characters, magic, coming-of-age story, mystery, and a school of magic.

I loved Harry Potter. I like young adult fiction, too, and have been reading lots of that over the last year or 2. I love Louise Penny (Canadian author who writes a very, very good detective series featuring Chief Inspector Gamache. Beautifully written, compelling, complex characters, interesting plots). I love Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files - professional wizard/detective).

I read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr earlier this year and will never forget the story or characters. It is amazing, heart-wrenching, beautiful.

What do you like to read? Do we have overlapping tastes?
    If you like magic/fantasy, I highly recommend the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. Also, The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan and the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. Some of my most favorite books EVER. The Black Magician is a darker one, meant for older readers, but still kid-friendly in the language/graphic descriptions (basically the only kind of book I'll read).

I also recommend the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, along with The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus, all by the same author. Not about magic, per say, but about Greek and Egyptian mythology, which involves plenty of magic in it, kind of. More like "godly power", I guess. ;)

Thanks, @Susieq_1994 ! I've read the Rick Riordan series (the Heroes of Olympus), but haven't read the Kane Chronicles. I will check it out!

I started reading the Fablehaven series after my supervisor recommended it. I read the first one and liked it ok (Seth drives me NUTS - he's incapable of doing what he's told, I think? heh..). But then my nephew (who lives with us) asked about it and he absconded with the whole series. He's almost done with the last book, so I will get them back from him. :-)

I've put The Black Magician Trilogy and the Septimus Heap series on my list!! Yay! Thank you!

The Heroes of Olympus is separate from the Percy Jackson one, but intertwines with it--so I'm not sure if you meant you read both of them? The Kane Chronicles is interesting and is about a completely different set of mythological gods (The Egyptian ones), and I really enjoyed it.

Seth gets better, but he's always infuriating. I assure you that you'll probably want to slap him a lot, but he's very important to the series as a whole, especially as he gets a little older. ;) I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of it. :smiley:

You're welcome! I'm thinking of borrowing the Septimus Heap series from the library to read again... It was a very interesting series!
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    I peeled the crayon wrappers off my color blind brothers crayons, so he could not read the colors. Then I would get all the crayons.

Bahahah this is amazing!
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

Hope I don't let anyone down, but I love Stephen King. Some of his more recent books I have enjoyed alot. Dr. Sleep is a sequel to The Shining. It was a good one. Then he has tied story lines across a couple of new books with Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers. I finally got to read 11/22/63. It was an interesting spin on time travel and how changing things can possibly affect the future. Also, a guilty pleasure of mine, I like young adult ficiton and have been reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. I am going to write down some of the books you guys are reading. Most of it for me is pure escape.

Love Stephen King. Love. He is a master at character development, even though a lot of his endings suck. LOL I adore his short stories for the most part, and he's got a new collection coming out in November! *squee*
    The SyFy series Haven is based on Stephen King's The Colorado Kid. As much as I love the tv show, I should read the book.

If you like fantasy/magic/witchcraft, The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness would probably interest you, I have only read The Discovery of Witches so far, but it was good, and I know others who have read the other two (Shadow of Night and The Book of Life) as well and loved them all.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I am writing all these book suggestions down! As a side note, I did start a book thread in the batcave if people want to add things there! :smile:
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Confession: Here is my ridiculous confession for today. I was craving something sweet, (pie) and went (via stairs) to 4 different vending machines in the building, until I found it! the glorious Mrs. Bairds Apple Pie! I inserted my dollar, punched the letter/number combo for the pie, and voila!! the machine gives me a roll of pep o mint life savers. (I hit the wrong letter) It was my last one dollar bill!!! It was like my subconscious was keeping me from having that 400 calorie pie. I am not even a fan of the pep o mint life savers!
  • jthurman3
    Options

What types of books do you enjoy?

I like fiction, mostly fantasy (magic makes me happy), literature, and detective type novels. But I really will read most anything. My favorite series is by Patrick Rothfuss and is called the Kingkiller Chronicles. It's meant to be a trilogy, but book 3 hasn't yet been written. The first book in the series is called The Name of the Wind. It's got interesting characters, magic, coming-of-age story, mystery, and a school of magic.

I loved Harry Potter. I like young adult fiction, too, and have been reading lots of that over the last year or 2. I love Louise Penny (Canadian author who writes a very, very good detective series featuring Chief Inspector Gamache. Beautifully written, compelling, complex characters, interesting plots). I love Jim Butcher (author of the Dresden Files - professional wizard/detective).

I read All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr earlier this year and will never forget the story or characters. It is amazing, heart-wrenching, beautiful.

What do you like to read? Do we have overlapping tastes?
    If you like magic/fantasy, I highly recommend the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. Also, The Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan and the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. Some of my most favorite books EVER. The Black Magician is a darker one, meant for older readers, but still kid-friendly in the language/graphic descriptions (basically the only kind of book I'll read).

I also recommend the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, along with The Kane Chronicles and The Heroes of Olympus, all by the same author. Not about magic, per say, but about Greek and Egyptian mythology, which involves plenty of magic in it, kind of. More like "godly power", I guess. ;)

Thanks, @Susieq_1994 ! I've read the Rick Riordan series (the Heroes of Olympus), but haven't read the Kane Chronicles. I will check it out!

I started reading the Fablehaven series after my supervisor recommended it. I read the first one and liked it ok (Seth drives me NUTS - he's incapable of doing what he's told, I think? heh..). But then my nephew (who lives with us) asked about it and he absconded with the whole series. He's almost done with the last book, so I will get them back from him. :-)

I've put The Black Magician Trilogy and the Septimus Heap series on my list!! Yay! Thank you!

The Heroes of Olympus is separate from the Percy Jackson one, but intertwines with it--so I'm not sure if you meant you read both of them? The Kane Chronicles is interesting and is about a completely different set of mythological gods (The Egyptian ones), and I really enjoyed it.

Seth gets better, but he's always infuriating. I assure you that you'll probably want to slap him a lot, but he's very important to the series as a whole, especially as he gets a little older. ;) I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of it. :smiley:

You're welcome! I'm thinking of borrowing the Septimus Heap series from the library to read again... It was a very interesting series!

Ohhh - I meant I'd only read the Percy Jackson series! I haven't read any of the others. I've always been interested in Ancient Egyptian mythology, so I think the Kane series would be very interesting.

• jthurman3
    Options

If you like fantasy/magic/witchcraft, The All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness would probably interest you, I have only read The Discovery of Witches so far, but it was good, and I know others who have read the other two (Shadow of Night and The Book of Life) as well and loved them all.

Yes - good recommendation! I've read the first 2 in this series and bought the 3rd, but had forgotten pretty much everything that happened in the first 2. The 3rd one jumps directly into action without a recap, so I think I'll at least need to re-read the 2nd one. This is a great reminder to do this! Thank you!
  • jthurman3
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I am writing all these book suggestions down! As a side note, I did start a book thread in the batcave if people want to add things there! :smile:

That thread is such a good idea! I'm heading there now to see if there's any new recommendations from other folks. :-)
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

That thread is such a good idea! I'm heading there now to see if there's any new recommendations from other folks. :-)

So much this. So I don't lose good ideas in the thread.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Although my overdrive library probably will have none of these. It never seems to have any books I want.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    Thanks all for your kind words. It's frustrating because even if I KNOW I'm not the cause of someone's anger, I am not fully able to convince myself. Just like with any anxiety I suppose :tongue:
    Anyone watch Wayward Pines? I am just watching the first episode now.....
    I just finished watching it with my boyfriend and we both agreed that it was a huge letdown. I especially hated the ending. You might think otherwise, though. Right now I'm watching True Detective and it is brilliantly acted!

@ShibaEars I'm happy to hear about the rabie-less bat! @raelynnsmama52512 Good news on all fronts! Even if your baby growing up is bittersweet... but she'll always be your baby deep down :blush:

The 1st season, right? Let me know when you're finished watching it. The acting was amazing!

ETA: Yay about the no-rabies news. You must be so relieved!
    Yes! I admit I have never been a big fan of Matthew Mcconaughey, mostly because I always want to yell at him to CLOSE HIS MOUTH (I ruined him for my mom and boyfriend after making them notice this)... but he is an amazing actor and is definitely growing on me. I love him in True Detective so far.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Confession...I haven't been to the gym since Sunday and won't go again til Friday. I'm supposed to go tonight but I'm so tired. Think my body is telling me to take a rest. So I'm trying not to feel guilty about it! I'll just have to add in an extra day next week which should be fine cause I'm off work Monday so I'll go then. It's ok, right?
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options

As a fellow colour blind kid, that's cruel!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Confession: Here is my ridiculous confession for today. I was craving something sweet, (pie) and went (via stairs) to 4 different vending machines in the building, until I found it! the glorious Mrs. Bairds Apple Pie! I inserted my dollar, punched the letter/number combo for the pie, and voila!! the machine gives me a roll of pep o mint life savers. (I hit the wrong letter) It was my last one dollar bill!!! It was like my subconscious was keeping me from having that 400 calorie pie. I am not even a fan of the pep o mint life savers!

Aww man, what a bummer! but good for saving you some calories, I guess.
    Same sort of thing happened to @pofoster21 last night with her McFlurry. She just posted about it in the Batcave. Someone is watching out for you guys in the calories department! I need a calorie-saving fairy!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

This is pure genius. And hilarious!! Thanks for the laugh :)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Confession...I haven't been to the gym since Sunday and won't go again til Friday. I'm supposed to go tonight but I'm so tired. Think my body is telling me to take a rest. So I'm trying not to feel guilty about it! I'll just have to add in an extra day next week which should be fine cause I'm off work Monday so I'll go then. It's ok, right?

You'll be fine!! Don't feel guilty!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

As a fellow colour blind kid, that's cruel!

It's incredibly rare in women, if I remember my high school biology genetics section correctly. I believe it requires the gene from both parents.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Confession: I'm only on page 61 out of 1559... Maybe I'll catch up by the end of the year :neutral:
    I wouldn't bother and would just jump straight into things :wink:

This. Totally...