Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Also, for those that mentioned dodge ball - it was the. worst. We usually played that if you were hit you'd sit down until the person that hit you was hit, then you could get back up. All the "cool", athletic kids would hog the balls and only throw them at their buddies. Then I (very un-athletic) would end up being one of the last ones standing against the biggest jock, I never stood a chance. So most of the time I just sat down at the beginning of the game and wouldn't move. They also whipped the ball as hard as they could, so it hurt when you did get hit.

Okay, I'm done whining.

I have not played dodge ball since May of 1976. I would never play it outside gym class and in August 1976 I nearly killed myself riding a bike and didn't take gym class again until high school. My PE class in high school was actually learning to play sports. I was good at badminton, tennis, swimming (even though I hated it) and bowling. I stank at every other sport. I do not play well with others.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    petunia773 wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    And speaking of old computer games, anyone else have "computer lab day" in school where your class got to go down to the computer room to play Oregon Trail on floppy disk??

Yes, Oregon Trail was the best game ever..until you died of cholera. ...

I never heard of that one. Though I remember floppy disks!

I played Oregon trail on floppy disks during elementary school!!

I remember playing that.

Do you guys remember in gym class when we had to use those stupid boards with wheels that you sat on & ran over your fingers?

Stupid?!? Those were amazing! If you walked into the gym and saw those (or the parachute) you knew it was gonna be a fun gym class!

Seriously!! The roller boards (aka dollies in the grown up world) were second only to dodgeball!!!

Between your show choices and game memories I think we could have been friends.

Haha! Class of 2005?

ETA what if we actually were friends as kids and we just don't realize it because we don't recognize each other on here??!!!! :o

I'm almost 10 years older than you?!?!?!?!?! :unamused:

Wait...what???

say-what-now-o.gif

So who was watching who's shows??? lol

The moment you look at the date stamp on that video and realize this kid is about to turn nine.

This happens to me all the time lately.

We were watching the hockey game a couple nights ago and one of the announcers said that a player was born in 1997 and I was just like :o:disappointed: Like, I'm young, right? In my head I'm still barely out of school, yet I was already in junior high when a professional athlete making millions was born.

I am old.enough to be his mother. Why didn't I make my 19 yo learn to play hockey? I mean besides the whole there are no leagues here problem....
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    And speaking of old computer games, anyone else have "computer lab day" in school where your class got to go down to the computer room to play Oregon Trail on floppy disk??

What kind of game is that? Reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry......it was all fun and games until you got VD from a hooker and died!

Now THAT reminds me of someone... ;)

Omg!!! Ha!

*kicks! "You know why"!!!!

:D
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

Do you guys remember in gym class when we had to use those stupid boards with wheels that you sat on & ran over your fingers?

Stupid?!? Those were amazing! If you walked into the gym and saw those (or the parachute) you knew it was gonna be a fun gym class!

Seriously!! The roller boards (aka dollies in the grown up world) were second only to dodgeball!!!

Haha! Class of 2005?

ETA what if we actually were friends as kids and we just don't realize it because we don't recognize each other on here??!!!! :o

Wait...what???

say-what-now-o.gif

I don't know! I'm going with you watching mine. However, if I still had cable, I'd watch Spongebob like nobody's business and I may have watched Girl Meets World (a few episodes at least) on Netflix.

Lol I probably did watch shows aimed at an older audience. I remember looking at the kids on Salute Your Shorts as big kids. lol
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

Haha! Class of 2005?

I am almost 20 years older than Carols and am 10 years older than you. Feel better, little sister?
    Edit: Carlos I apologize for spelling your name wrong. Dyslexia strikes again...

Haha!! My wife and I dated long distance (I'm from Ohio and she's from Oklahoma) and she once got flowers from a Carols.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

Haha! Class of 2005?

I am almost 20 years older than Carols and am 10 years older than you. Feel better, little sister?
    Edit: Carlos I apologize for spelling your name wrong. Dyslexia strikes again...

Yes, yes it does! :wink:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

Haha! Class of 2005?

Wait...what???

say-what-now-o.gif

The moment you look at the date stamp on that video and realize this kid is about to turn nine.

We were watching the hockey game a couple nights ago and one of the announcers said that a player was born in 1997 and I was just like :o:disappointed: Like, I'm young, right? In my head I'm still barely out of school, yet I was already in junior high when a professional athlete making millions was born.

I am old.enough to be his mother. Why didn't I make my 19 yo learn to play hockey? I mean besides the whole there are no leagues here problem....

Also his parents probably SPENT millions on hockey over the years, haha (and that's barely an exaggeration.) It's a ridiculously expensive kids' sport because there is so much necessary equipment, plus good coaching here is at a premium, plus there's tons of travel, off-season skills camps, conditioning classes, rehabilitation when they inevitably get injured because it's pretty brutal, etc etc. People spend thousands a year on it, it's obscene.

Slightly off that topic, but I will never allow my hypothetical future children to play contact sports after all the articles and studies I've seen about head injuries causing permanent damage to developing brains. Tooooo scary, man. I don't care if I'm Mean Mommy on that one, football, rugby, and hockey are Concussion City and I don't want to scramble a kid's brains any more than they'll already be from living with me ;)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I remember playing that.

Haha! Class of 2005?

Wait...what???

say-what-now-o.gif

Also his parents probably SPENT millions on hockey over the years, haha (and that's barely an exaggeration.) It's a ridiculously expensive kids' sport because there is so much necessary equipment, plus good coaching here is at a premium, plus there's tons of travel, off-season skills camps, conditioning classes, rehabilitation when they inevitably get injured because it's pretty brutal, etc etc. People spend thousands a year on it, it's obscene.

Slightly off that topic, but I will never allow my hypothetical future children to play contact sports after all the articles and studies I've seen about head injuries causing permanent damage to developing brains. Tooooo scary, man. I don't care if I'm Mean Mommy on that one, football, rugby, and hockey are Concussion City and I don't want to scramble a kid's brains any more than they'll already be from living with me ;)

Mine play soccer. Head contact = red card
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

Haha! Class of 2005?

Wait...what???

say-what-now-o.gif

I'm on board with soccer (and soccer is especially good for kids because they hardly need equipment!), baseball, basketball, volleyball, tennis, etc etc where head injuries are much more rare, at least at the juvenile level. Acceptable levels of cost benefit for me, unlike in hockey where you can check someone at like 25 mph onto ice or into the boards (way faster than they're going to be going on foot, way harder than a field.) That's pretty much Canadian blasphemy but it is scary stuff, especially when kids are getting bigger/faster/stronger but might not have their skills caught up to be checking safely and that kind of thing.

Also, can you imagine the extra orthodontia if someone loses a tooth etc? Eesh. I know they wear mouthguards now and all that, but there are still an awful lot of hockey players out there with awfully bad teeth thanks to falls/pucks to the mouth/fighting.

Of course, I say this as a person who skis like crazy and plans to teach any kids as soon as they can stand up on skis too, so maybe it's a little irrational, but still, haha.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

Quik, I was thinking the same thing. I loved those scooters, and I have thought of making my own several times with dollies.

Speaking of gym class, how many of you honestly made it all the way up the rope to touch the ceiling of the gym? I did. I've always had pretty strong arms even as a puny girl child.

Never! Never could climb that rope haha.

I still remember having to do a gym routine in front of the whole class (the teacher picked the best to perform in front of the school). Needless to say I didn't make it haha.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I remember playing that.

Haha! Class of 2005?

Wait...what???

say-what-now-o.gif

I'm on board with soccer (and soccer is especially good for kids because they hardly need equipment!), baseball, basketball, volleyball, tennis, etc etc where head injuries are much more rare, at least at the juvenile level. Acceptable levels of cost benefit for me, unlike in hockey where you can check someone at like 25 mph onto ice or into the boards (way faster than they're going to be going on foot, way harder than a field.) That's pretty much Canadian blasphemy but it is scary stuff, especially when kids are getting bigger/faster/stronger but might not have their skills caught up to be checking safely and that kind of thing.

Also, can you imagine the extra orthodontia if someone loses a tooth etc? Eesh. I know they wear mouthguards now and all that, but there are still an awful lot of hockey players out there with awfully bad teeth thanks to falls/pucks to the mouth/fighting.

Of course, I say this as a person who skis like crazy and plans to teach any kids as soon as they can stand up on skis too, so maybe it's a little irrational, but still, haha.

My daughter played goalie until high school and wore a mouth guard most of the time. If the ball makes your mouth bleed, they make you stop playing until the bleeding stops. She wore it after she converted to outside mid because she has a tendency to bite her tongue when she heads the ball. (what's up with that?)
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

What kind of game is that? Reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry......it was all fun and games until you got VD from a hooker and died!

Now THAT reminds me of someone... ;)

Hahahahahahaha
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »

I remember playing that.

Quik, I was thinking the same thing. I loved those scooters, and I have thought of making my own several times with dollies.

Speaking of gym class, how many of you honestly made it all the way up the rope to touch the ceiling of the gym? I did. I've always had pretty strong arms even as a puny girl child.

We had a kid who not only climbed the rope, but went hand over hand along a beam that held up the ceiling for about 10 feet! It was about a 50 foot drop to a hardwood gym floor, certain death. The phys ed teacher nearly had a heart attack. I wonder what became of that kid...

That kid (at my school) was Ian Fishel. He's doing all right last I heard he was working at a bike shop in Kent. *shrug* Still super athletic and stuff.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

I remember playing that.

I did it I felt awesome. Getting down was the not so fun part.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    Hey, anyone ever watch Supermarket Sweep back in the day? That show was awesome.

Loved it too. :) I always wanted to be on that show.
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    List of shows I watched growing up. Remember, no judgement.

Full House
    Family Matters
    Clarissa Explains It All
    Step by Step
    Home Improvement (Jonathan Taylor Thomas was my TV boyfriend)
    Tales From The Crypt
    Fraggle Rock
    Dinosaurs (Not the Mama)
    Hey Dude
    Darkwing Duck
    Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
    BH 90210
    Roseanne
    Boys Meets World (How hot did Topanga grow up?!)

This is not a complete list, my brain just can't think of anything else right now. I may have been allowed to watch a little too much TV growing up.

This is my list too...

I loved the TGIF set of shows. Oh Perfect Strangers was another show I liked as well.

I loved Perfect Strangers! I wish they still had TGIF and things like that. The stuff they have now is SO lame.

I loved perfect strangers too!

How about Bosom Buddies??? The young Tom Hanks in drag!!

I remember Bosom Buddies!!

How about Charles in Charge?? AWESOME show!
    Mr. Belvedere? (sp?)
    ALF?

Yep.

Not sure if anyone will remember these but I used to love Herman's Head, Get a Life and Harry and the Hendersons. LOL
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    What was the show where they would let a kid loose in Toys 'R Us and they basically have 30 seconds to get as much awesome stuff in their cart as they can?
    I don't think it was the main point of the show as much as it was some kind of bonus thing at the end.
    Man...which show was that on??

Yep I remembered that one too (and thought of it when Supermarket Sweep was mentioned). I wanted to do that so bad too! I don't remember the name of it (I'm still catching up though so hopefully someone remembered it).

I also remember I'm Telling. That show was amazing and at the end they did the same type of thing (their sibling picked prizes and then the other sibling would have to guess which ones they would have picked).
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    Hey, anyone ever watch Supermarket Sweep back in the day? That show was awesome.

Yes! Wasn't there another store game show that was in a mall? Or maybe not a mall, but had different department stores?

I confess that I used to hate watching America's Most Wanted & any of the 48 Hrs. murder kind of shows when I was younger, but I love the ID Channel now!

I loved America's Most Wanted even back then. And does anyone remember Rescue 911. That used to be one of my shows that I never missed.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    sigh...When I found that I couldn't eat peanut butter in moderation, and had to get it out of my apartment ASAP, I not only threw it away-I drowned the jar in water first so I wouldn't be tempted...

I can't believe I shared that.

Kudos! I would have eaten the jar of peanut butter as not to waste it. I can't believe I shared THAT! ;)
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    sigh...When I found that I couldn't eat peanut butter in moderation, and had to get it out of my apartment ASAP, I not only threw it away-I drowned the jar in water first so I wouldn't be tempted...

I can't believe I shared that.

Kudos! I would have eaten the jar of peanut butter as not to waste it. I can't believe I shared THAT! ;)

G 42!