Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I love salt and vinegar chips, but I will ruin my tongue eating them if I let myself. Different cravings with different kids. Might be a sign you are having a girl this time!!

Me, too. I can't buy a big bag. I will eat them all.
  • MsFlabULess
    MsFlabULess Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Fire season is in full swing! It's just a matter of time before I get called out and that'll be the real test of my willpower....living in a hotel for 2 weeks :scream:
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Fire season is in full swing! It's just a matter of time before I get called out and that'll be the real test of my willpower....living in a hotel for 2 weeks :scream:

Good luck! I get so off track when my routine is changed.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

I don't know if it has been asked before, but what do you do? and why would it require you living in a hotel for two weeks :# Good luck! Maybe stock up on healthier snacks that you can take with you so you don't nibble on the wrong things?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

I don't know if it has been asked before, but what do you do? and why would it require you living in a hotel for two weeks :# Good luck! Maybe stock up on healthier snacks that you can take with you so you don't nibble on the wrong things?

IIRC, she's a wild fire fighter (and thanks for doing it). My dad did this for the forest service as part of his job and unless something has drastically changed, you eat what you can, when you can and sleep the same way. It is a terrible way to live. Daddy would sleep for 36 straight hours after he got home from every fire, but first he would eat a decent meal.
  • MsFlabULess
    Options
    I do work for the forest service but fire isn't my primary job. I am on a buying team during fire season. So basically I (and my team) purchase everything needed during our time out which is usually 2 weeks at a time. So that means like catering for the fire fighters and the crew staying at camp, supplies, medical stuff, rental cars, hotel rooms, porta potties, land, hand wash stations, showers, light poles....basically anything you can think of I buy it. We have to commit to at least 2 weeks and work 16 hr days everyday for 2 weeks. I'm either online buying or out cleaning out all the stores. I've had to drive an hr. both ways everyday just to get office supplies on numerous occasion. When we get back we have mandatory 2 days off of R&R and believe me 2 days isn't long enough! The gov. pays for everything...hotel, rental car, incidentals, and our food since we get per diem. It is a long time being away from my kids though. I think it's worth it because being in the federal gov. we don't get over time and going out on fire is the only time that we do. It is very short notice. Last time I got called out it was a Saturday evening and I had to leave the next morning early so get there by the afternoon. The time before I got called out an hr. before they wanted me to get on the road. Luckily we have a contract through Enterprise when it comes to rental cars and they will hook us up on short notice and we get discounts. The fire world is completely different than my day to day micro purchasing and now I have about $22,000 more dollars I'm going to be responsible for this season (I'm a warranted purchaser now so I get to deal with some semi big bucks) which is going to make it a little scarier. Generally I'm a good distance away from the fire so not in harms way but it all depends on where they can find for us to work. In Idaho we weren't too far from the action and the smoke and ash that was coming down on us was terrible. I'll post a pic from when I was in McCall, ID at the smoke jumper base. So long story short haha I don't fight fire I just pay for them. :smiley:
  • MsFlabULess
    Options
    Sorry I know these are probably going to be super big :grimace:

xzd05245relc.jpg
  • MsFlabULess
    Options
    ujirh021cbqr.jpg

jjiwpdwg5doe.jpg

6gx54bke98xq.jpg

h2k8evafgwoh.jpg

6qa3nd169ykq.jpg

• MsFlabULess
    Options
    f9jz9x7jyei4.jpg

1dbbwmccrbht.jpg

2scmyq77y33g.jpg

kzzxcc7nmvpo.jpg

ghxrmr4w65sk.jpg

• MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    @MsFlabULess those pictures are stunning and terrifying all at once! The fact that the wildlife is out and about like that is so interesting!
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Today's confession: I have an appointment with a therapist today. I am *kitten* dreading it, I'm wound up so tight and constantly grinding/clenching my teeth without me noticing.
    Part of me is also very excited to try and work through this and quite frankly to get another opinion, I'm starting to think my original diagnosis is wrong.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    Today's confession: I have an appointment with a therapist today. I am *kitten* dreading it, I'm wound up so tight and constantly grinding/clenching my teeth without me noticing.
    Part of me is also very excited to try and work through this and quite frankly to get another opinion, I'm starting to think my original diagnosis is wrong.

I hope the therapist helps!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I've been freaking hangry for about 5 days now. Stupid TOM. I'm not going to reach my goal weight by my deadline if this keeps up.
  • MsFlabULess
    Options
    @MsFlabULess those pictures are stunning and terrifying all at once! The fact that the wildlife is out and about like that is so interesting!

Fire is so interesting I've learned a lot while being out on fire. Like the fact that it can still burn while being covered in snow and once it gets hot again it sparks right up. :astonished:
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

How did it go?
  • Oberon21
    Options

That is so cool! What a neat job!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I love salt and vinegar chips, but I will ruin my tongue eating them if I let myself. Different cravings with different kids. Might be a sign you are having a girl this time!!

I love them too but they kill my lips!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    Oh, and I walked out of the house in them this AM and as I was walking toward my car they disintegrated.

Wow! That's crazy!

One good thing...one less shoe box in the closet!

Or. One new pair of shoes! YEAH!

I don't lie. It crossed my mind!
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    @MsFlabULess That is really interesting! It never occurred to me that all of that has to be organised. I don't know why because it makes sense. I just thought the firefighters would be local and go home like usual shift work. It's not really something we have to deal with here in the UK so I hadn't thought about it.
    Sorry that you can get called out at such short notice, but I guess fire doesn't really have an advanced warning. :#
  • Lois_1989
    Options

How did it go?

This! I hope it helped you.