Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I start back at work on Tuesday after over a year off. I cannot remember any usernames, reference websites, passwords or procedures. I have this stuff all written down in various places but we moved premises while I was away. I really hope nobody threw out my stuff during the move!

That must be exciting and terrifying all at the same time. Are the kids going to daycare?

I work two full days. They'll spend one day with daddy (should be interesting as due to Ellie's boob obsession he's never had both kids for a full day himself) and one day in nursery. That is a painful day for me as a day in nursery eats up over 75% of my day's pay. No wonder so many women give up work. Thankfully Andrew is entitled to some free nursery hours in April, so the pain is temporary.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Day 5 of the Spinal Situation

So- I have a familiar pain in my right ankle... this encouraged me to call the practice where my doc used to be - I can’t get in to see my doc till 1/11.

When I called they pretty much suggested calling dr G- my old doc that i love. Advised I did but can't get in till next Friday and I am in pain and can hardly move. They said that was a miracle that I got an appointment in just a week - usually it takes over a month to get in.

I have an apt at my old practice tomorrow as a stop gap till next Friday when I see dr G. The scheduled all but said Dr G was a better surgeon than their current staff.

I am so afraid of another back surgery.

Good luck with the back problems!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    I start back at work on Tuesday after over a year off. I cannot remember any usernames, reference websites, passwords or procedures. I have this stuff all written down in various places but we moved premises while I was away. I really hope nobody threw out my stuff during the move!

Wow. That will be wild, huh? Do you get a year for maternity?

We get up to a year off in the UK, with the first six weeks on 90% salary, then a fixed £135 a week for 33 weeks then nothing after that. But you are entitled to any holidays you would have accrued while on parental leave, so I tracked all those on to the end of my leave making it about 13 months off. Our maternity pay is actually quite rubbish compared to a lot of European countries, but infinitely better than the USA! I don't know how you manage. I don't understand why your policy makers don't value parenthood more (not just motherhood, after the first few weeks, the dad can take the leave instead of mum if they want to).

My company last year matched paternity to maternity so guys get 6 or 8 weeks too. Still sucks for people like me who never had kids. I think they should have matching time off for singles or couples without kids.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

We get up to a year off in the UK, with the first six weeks on 90% salary, then a fixed £135 a week for 33 weeks then nothing after that. But you are entitled to any holidays you would have accrued while on parental leave, so I tracked all those on to the end of my leave making it about 13 months off. Our maternity pay is actually quite rubbish compared to a lot of European countries, but infinitely better than the USA! I don't know how you manage. I don't understand why your policy makers don't value parenthood more (not just motherhood, after the first few weeks, the dad can take the leave instead of mum if they want to).

My company last year matched paternity to maternity so guys get 6 or 8 weeks too. Still sucks for people like me who never had kids. I think they should have matching time off for singles or couples without kids.

@Oberon21 I think that given 6 weeks paid leave, you would finish that dissertation and find a new job. Just sayin'...
  • natsadventures
    natsadventures Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wear spanx all the time. I never leave the house without something to keep my tummy held in. :(

SAME. I never go out of the house without covering my legs and arms. Even in summer....but hopefully that will all change soon ;)
  • melissafeagins
    Options
    I wear spanx all the time. I never leave the house without something to keep my tummy held in. :(

SAME. I never go out of the house without covering my legs and arms. Even in summer....but hopefully that will all change soon ;)

It will change. Keep working. You are worth it.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options

So- I have a familiar pain in my right ankle... this encouraged me to call the practice where my doc used to be - I can’t get in to see my doc till 1/11.

When I called they pretty much suggested calling dr G- my old doc that i love. Advised I did but can't get in till next Friday and I am in pain and can hardly move. They said that was a miracle that I got an appointment in just a week - usually it takes over a month to get in.

I have an apt at my old practice tomorrow as a stop gap till next Friday when I see dr G. The scheduled all but said Dr G was a better surgeon than their current staff.

Getting better -- just the meds are making me gain weight at a RAPID speed - 5 lbs in 5 days and I have been in a deficit. I would rather gain than hurt.

Thanks for checking on me!!!!!!!!!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

No, I think you should just get better holiday allowances in general (full timers at my work get 25 days plus public holidays), and taking an unpaid sabbatical should be way more widely available than it currently is. A happy, rested workforce is a productive workforce.

I have found parental leave the most exhausting time of my life and not any kind of break!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options

No, I think you should just get better holiday allowances in general (full timers at my work get 25 days plus public holidays), and taking an unpaid sabbatical should be way more widely available than it currently is. A happy, rested workforce is a productive workforce.

I have found parental leave the most exhausting time of my life and not any kind of break!

You can say that again!!!

• melissafeagins
    Options

Getting better -- just the meds are making me gain weight at a RAPID speed - 5 lbs in 5 days and I have been in a deficit. I would rather gain than hurt.

Thanks for checking on me!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the meds making you gain, but glad they are working. I have been there and one that and I would also rather have a gain than pain.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Confession: I just used the word coirkers out loud, at work.

Love it!

I have used @MoHousdon (I think it was you) phrase a few times at work to other coworkers to describe people that got on our nerves.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Confession: I just used the word coirkers out loud, at work.

Did anyone notice?!? :laugh:
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I have used it before in casual conversation, but not at work.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Speaking of coirkers. There's one in particular that I feel like I'm constantly arguing with. If I wanted to argue with someone younger and less experienced than me, I would have had more kids!

:laugh: