Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    We had a sunny day today, AND I was off work.....but had to hang around at home for a medical test and we are tearing up the parking lot so I cant even sit on my patio because its a dust bowl. There is literally two inches of dirt on my BBQ.....and about three weeks to go.....
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I still have those days and my son is 21.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    crosbylee wrote: »
    I still have those days and my son is 21.

Same... Well, it's my 19 yo...
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Ditto
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering some major work / life guilt. I watched war on plastic on the BBC, and have been trying to cut down on my single use plastics anyway, but I work for a company that makes packaging machinery. I just had a meeting this morning with some of the salesmen who were complaining how the produce packaging sector is deathly quiet. I'm rolling my eyes at the lack of environmental care, but I'm just as hypocritical because I work here too! I can't afford to quit my job but I really think we SHOULDN'T be packaging food unnecessarily. Unfortunately it's difficult to find something else that's close by in my rural location and that allows me to work part-time hours for similar money. If the money's not the same, I can't afford childcare until the kids both start school, which is 2 years away. I feel like I'm just going to have to swallow my morals for a while until we're in a better position. Assuming the company doesn't go under due to consumers bring more plastic aware!

Tldr: first world hand wringing but it kinda feels important.

• melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    I'm suffering some major work / life guilt. I watched war on plastic on the BBC, and have been trying to cut down on my single use plastics anyway, but I work for a company that makes packaging machinery. I just had a meeting this morning with some of the salesmen who were complaining how the produce packaging sector is deathly quiet. I'm rolling my eyes at the lack of environmental care, but I'm just as hypocritical because I work here too! I can't afford to quit my job but I really think we SHOULDN'T be packaging food unnecessarily. Unfortunately it's difficult to find something else that's close by in my rural location and that allows me to work part-time hours for similar money. If the money's not the same, I can't afford childcare until the kids both start school, which is 2 years away. I feel like I'm just going to have to swallow my morals for a while until we're in a better position. Assuming the company doesn't go under due to consumers bring more plastic aware!

This topic gives me heartburn, too, Anne-Marie. We use a lot of plastics in medicine.

Plastic recycling companies dump plastic people want to recycle into the ocean because there's not a good profit margin for it. I could think of worse things for government to do than take over ACTUALLY recycling the plastic for the good of the planet and to provide jobs for people who need them. Government is supposed to promote the common good after all.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

This topic gives me heartburn, too, Anne-Marie. We use a lot of plastics in medicine.

Plastic recycling companies dump plastic people want to recycle into the ocean because there's not a good profit margin for it. I could think of worse things for government to do than take over ACTUALLY recycling the plastic for the good of the planet and to provide jobs for people who need them. Government is supposed to promote the common good after all.

The BBC series was good because it touched on so many different aspects such as how throwaway consumers are, but also how we don't recycle what we create and export it to poorer countries and the supermarkets don't offer consumers an alternative must of the time anyway. It really got me thinking.

I'll knit some reusable dishcloths to soothe my aching soul!
  • crosbylee
    Options
    That subject is even worse when you don't have recycling facilities nearby or a service to pick them up from your home. I don't like to toss all the aluminum and plastics, but we don't have anywhere to take them for recycling that isn't fifty miles away.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    We would also have to haul recycling somewhere not nearby. We do save aluminum cans and donate them to the VFW.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    We actually have curbside pick-up but it only comes every other week. Garbage comes weekly.

I need recycle to come weekly and garbage every other week! :D
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I wish there was a way to recycle chip bags easier & food wrappers from candy bars, protein bars, & other various food items. I looked it up & apparently there's a thing called Terracycle, but it's extremely pricey.
  • crosbylee
    Options
    Hottest day of the year and I ate most of my calories as ice cream!

No shame from me. I would love to do that when it's hot!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    I have cut down on single use plastics as much as I can. I have a kit I carry that has stainless steel straws and metal utensils so I do not use plastic ones when eating out. I use reusable containers instead of baggies when possible. And reusable shopping bags always.
    However, there are times I use plastics too.
    I think if we all just do our best to save where we can, that is something, which is always better than nothing.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Went to Hershey Park yesterday & had a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOCRa_D4xU

My nephew wanted to ride on the front seat of this one & while we're starting to ride up the hill I said, "what did you just get us into?" LOL! The only ride I screamed on that I almost went hoarse. My sister's husband told my sister that he thought I had died since I probably stopped screaming at one point.

My nephew & I rode this one again before the park closed (park closed at 10:00) & I didn't scream as much (we went on the front seat again) since I think it was actually scarier during the daylight from being able to see a far distance away & see the highway, buildings inside the park, & other rides.

This one was also pretty fun & is called Storm Runner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjmBOydksc4

At first I thought it wasn't going to be intense because it started out slow, but then all of a sudden it kicked into gear like a bolt of lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otxPSpJXMvQ

This ride is nuts on the way up since it looks like you're going to not have a track when you descend back down. You're practically riding up looking up at the sky & it almost feels like you're laying on your back. Fahrenheit was my first coaster/ride of the day.

A lot of the wooden coasters are also a blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HisONeuB740

The Wildcat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zuDowuhr8

Lightning Racer has two tracks & cars that compete to see who will win
  • crosbylee
    Options
    Kelli, those coasters look insane!! I would love to try some of them.
    Quik, I hope you get a carb level that keeps you from bingeing!! I know some days I can catch myself just going back for random stuff and not really find what it is that settles the craving.