Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Today was really hard for me because it's my dad's birthday. He passed away last year and I'm still struggling to come to terms with it. Took a long walk after work and ended up in a grocery store buying sausage and peppers (his favorite). I miss him terribly and feel guilty for not spending as much time with him as I should have. I want to ask him things I never got to and never will be able to. Everyone, hug your families tight and don't take them for granted :)

Sorry for your loss, one of my first confessions I have in this thread about being told my dad was dead my entire life, to being told a year ago that my dad was someone else, to chasing that person down to get a DNA test and finding out, that my dad is in fact the dead dude.

I secretly wish you would have said "take them for granite" just because of the earlier posts about it.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I wear the same stinky workout clothes for several days without washing. Ewww gross, I know. Always change my socks though lol

I wear the same outfit to the gym 3 times in a row, even the socks. Then wash it on the weekend.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Today was really hard for me because it's my dad's birthday. He passed away last year and I'm still struggling to come to terms with it. Took a long walk after work and ended up in a grocery store buying sausage and peppers (his favorite). I miss him terribly and feel guilty for not spending as much time with him as I should have. I want to ask him things I never got to and never will be able to. Everyone, hug your families tight and don't take them for granted :)

Sorry for your loss, one of my first confessions I have in this thread about being told my dad was dead my entire life, to being told a year ago that my dad was someone else, to chasing that person down to get a DNA test and finding out, that my dad is in fact the dead dude.

I secretly wish you would have said "take them for granite" just because of the earlier posts about it.
    Don't take your family for granite... they are more like a fine topaz. Your story sounds like a movie! :astonished:
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

Don't take your family for granite... they are more like a fine topaz. Your story sounds like a movie! :astonished:

Terrible movie, no one wants to watch some semi-fat jerk troll people on the interwebz all day.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10135773/might-as-well-starve

Haven't decided if this one is going up in flames or not, but it might!

Starred this one to read later. Looks like it could get interesting. :)
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Okay, I've been super busy today and while I think I've caught up for the weekend I didn't get to respond to a bunch of posts I would have like to! Anyway, how are the shoulder workouts going? You do realize that once we've mastered that we're going to add on, right? I'm thinking we need to start with planks: no equipment required and can be done while on the floor either before or after shoulders / arms. Thoughts?

Planks are awesome, I prefer to do them in crocodile form, with my forearms on the ground.

Personally, I don't think enough people spend enough time in Down Dog. Most leg discomfort from exercising can be easily avoided with properly stretched calves and hamstrings. After you get to a comfortable with Down Dog, graduate into Walking the Dog where you take the traditional Down Dog position, then alternate raising and lowering your heels. And that's my broscience & yogapanttheory knowledge.

Same here, and you know what? Even with all the shoulder exercises I do, these still make my shoulders burn when I do them. Guess that's a good thing and why they continue to be a challenge for me.

I can't do Downward Dog - I get a head rush and then get dizzy. I have an inner-ear imbalance problem, though, so that's probably why. I do stretch my calves and hamstrings every night (while doing my arm exercises).

I practiced yoga on and off for years and didn't mind downdog. After a few years of minimal exercise and weight gain I really struggled with this pose... I lost a lot of shoulder strength and it took a bit of work to get it back. I also find my hands creep forward. I recently bought a new mat (jade harmony pro) as I want to practise more and after reading many reviews figured it was the most grippy. It is definitely more grippy but my hands still creep forward. Maybe I just sweat lots in my hands.
  • smashley_mashley
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    paulaviki wrote: »
    My confession today is that I chew the skin around my nails on my fingers, when I'm not chewing them I pick them. It looks gross and it hurts but I can't stop doing it. I'm nearly 33 and have been doing it since I was about 11. Every now and again I stop it but then I always start up again. Nasty habit! :(

I do this too. My fingers look a mess, but I haven't been able to stop. I don't bite my nails as much as I used to, but I still pick at the skin. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember and it gets worse if I'm anxious or stressed. I'm embarrassed to let people see my hands.

And it doesn't help that I live in a dry climate so my skin is always rough (I try to use lotion, but it's not enough).

Agreed. I am huge fan of Aveeno, I buy it at Costco. I find cuticle oil works well for dry fingers... and lots of water. This winter we had humidifiers running and I saw a huge improvement in my nails. Hubby didn't notice a difference in the air quality and took them back. :(
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

Okay, I've been super busy today and while I think I've caught up for the weekend I didn't get to respond to a bunch of posts I would have like to! Anyway, how are the shoulder workouts going? You do realize that once we've mastered that we're going to add on, right? I'm thinking we need to start with planks: no equipment required and can be done while on the floor either before or after shoulders / arms. Thoughts?

Planks are awesome, I prefer to do them in crocodile form, with my forearms on the ground.

Personally, I don't think enough people spend enough time in Down Dog. Most leg discomfort from exercising can be easily avoided with properly stretched calves and hamstrings. After you get to a comfortable with Down Dog, graduate into Walking the Dog where you take the traditional Down Dog position, then alternate raising and lowering your heels. And that's my broscience & yogapanttheory knowledge.

Same here, and you know what? Even with all the shoulder exercises I do, these still make my shoulders burn when I do them. Guess that's a good thing and why they continue to be a challenge for me.

I can't do Downward Dog - I get a head rush and then get dizzy. I have an inner-ear imbalance problem, though, so that's probably why. I do stretch my calves and hamstrings every night (while doing my arm exercises).

I practiced yoga on and off for years and didn't mind downdog. After a few years of minimal exercise and weight gain I really struggled with this pose... I lost a lot of shoulder strength and it took a bit of work to get it back. I also find my hands creep forward. I recently bought a new mat (jade harmony pro) as I want to practise more and after reading many reviews figured it was the most grippy. It is definitely more grippy but my hands still creep forward. Maybe I just sweat lots in my hands.
    Have you ever done hot yoga? You skid around everywhere!
  • smashley_mashley
    Options
    mskurski wrote: »
    Ok, here it goes.... AGAIN no judgements. I didn't care what i looked like for a solid year or how much I ate. I could eat a whole large pizza w everything on it BY MYSELF. I could eat a whole box of cookies and 1/2 gal milk in one sitting. I use to go to all you can eat buffets and go up at least 3-6 times, I ate until I was stuffed like thankgiving stuffed for a year. I gained 65 lbs and every time i start feeling good, I go off my diet and gain again, and when I do... I gain twice as much as loss. Reason? I lost my son a year ago.... And struggling to care again. Really wanting to change this time.

So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through. Just take one day at a time. And bookmark this thread. It really is therapy.
  • smashley_mashley
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Have you ever done hot yoga? You skid around everywhere!
    I have, I really like it but am too cheap to go since I get free regular yoga at work. I always brought towels with me to reduce the slippage. I always found I ate better when going to hot yoga because I don't want to eat anything that is heavy/dense or that has caffeine because it would make me feel sick. I always felt amazing after.
  • nuttyengineer
    nuttyengineer Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    & I eat popcorn with chopsticks :) lasts longer, much longer

I may have to try this. Purely because it just sounds fun.

I am somewhat disappointed because I was eating fairly decent today (at least compared to my last couple weeks) and made a meal for dinner that I thought would be right around my maintenance calories, but it put me about 400 cals over. I was up all night puking my guts out though, so maybe it will cancel out.

On a side note, I quite possibly discovered the most disgusting combination of foods to vomit there is.

I confess to being curious LOL

Haha. Sorry to the squeamish of this thread, but fish and chips and coffee. I don't think I can ever drink coffee again.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I tried planks for the first time ever today. I did the first one and held it for twenty-five seconds. I thought it wasn't that bad and I was awesome. I couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. Then I attempted the second one and basically fell after nine seconds. I will try this again tomorrow because I feel it would probably benefit me.

Lately, I've been struggling to lose more weight and I have a lot to go. I've been thinking I might need to take a week off my diet, but the idea terrifies me. I am maintaining my current weight eating 1050-1150 calories and doing between fifty-eight and sixty-eight minutes (depends on the playlist) of Zumba/dance fitness a day and heavy lifting on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. I am worried if I try to eat maintenance I will gain back weight. I have a doctor's appointment to address this, but scared that they won't know what to do and it'll be back to me not being able to lose weight no matter what I did.

• kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    Ok, here it goes.... AGAIN no judgements. I didn't care what i looked like for a solid year or how much I ate. I could eat a whole large pizza w everything on it BY MYSELF. I could eat a whole box of cookies and 1/2 gal milk in one sitting. I use to go to all you can eat buffets and go up at least 3-6 times, I ate until I was stuffed like thankgiving stuffed for a year. I gained 65 lbs and every time i start feeling good, I go off my diet and gain again, and when I do... I gain twice as much as loss. Reason? I lost my son a year ago.... And struggling to care again. Really wanting to change this time.

I can't even imagine that loss. Praying for you if you believe in that sort of thing. Not good at the comforting thing but I'm so sorry! (Hugs)!
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of work to do, so I've been super unproductive all day while feeling sick with anxiety. I also tried on some clothes today, which made me feel a little awful about my body I didn't feel like crying, so that's definite progress, and I have a new dress that I love (so I barely care that my taller older anorexic sister might get the same one a size smaller. EVERYTHING BLACK IS MINE GODDAMMIT GO BACK TO YOUR PREPPY CLOTHES **ahem**)
    So naturally I just ordered another shirt to make myself feel better.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    My confession: I'M A FRAUD!!
    I spend too much time here every day, doling out advice and encouragement, telling people about CICO, how to succeed, etc etc etc....

I have not lost any weight (that I have kept off) in SIX MONTHS.

That's right, I have "maintained" (read: lost weight, then stuffed my fat face) for half a year. It's a miracle I haven't actually gained.

I'm complacent, and I make excuses, and I'm basically just being totally crap at this weight loss thing. And you know what? I RESENT knowing how much I know about weight loss, because in the past, I'd have "mixed it up" byt going for a "kickstart" and doing a few weeks of shakes, or majorly low carb, or chowing down some "Fatblaster Max". And now I know that all there is for it is to stop being an *kitten* about it and get it done.

And I'm writing ALL this knowing I'm about to go on a 5 day holiday which I will AGAIN use as an excuse to say "I'll get back to it next week, this is special circumstances, I don't have much of a choice what I eat, so stuff it."

I need a damn good slapping.

No, you're just a real person that knows what they should do but it's a struggle! A lifetime struggle! I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to workout for the rest of my life or be overweight. The struggle is real...and as I type that I LOL a little because it sounds so ridiculous...but true!
  • ohgeeque
    ohgeeque Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit today and it is driving me crazy. I feel like it is talking about me behind my back.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »
    confession: it's because of this thread that i bought and tried cookie butter for the first time in my life. it's like sunshine in a freakin jar!

what have i done? what have i done?!?!?!?

I still have not tried mine lol
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    What is CICO?
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My love for the movie Dirty Dancing will never die. It was on TV earlier and I have to watch it no matter what. I love the soundtrack. It's one of my not-guilty pleasures.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What is CICO?

Calories in, calories out. Basically the fact that if you burn more than you take in, you'll lose weight.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Basically undid all the progress I made all week in 2 days. because you know..

shadow cake and biryani and mango lassi

I had to look up all three of those items. The last two look like they are offered at Indian restaurants only. The cake, too? We only have one Indian restaurant here. I tried it once, but wasn't sure what to order (vegetarian and low carb). Any suggestions from the expert?

oh no, Shadow Cake was from the bakery on Friday night, biryani and mango lassi were from the indian restaurant.

I had friends who were Indian in High School and they always ate the most aromatic foods delicious smelling foods.

As an adult I just go into the restaurant ask the host what they're having that night for dinner and I'll usually go with that. The host always knows what's the best ;)

For vegetarian dishes I'd start with some Vegetable Samosas and Cauliflower Pakoras entree would be Onion Naan and Vegetable biryani

low carb is out the window :/

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of! Between all the rice, the naan, and the fried foods I was at a loss. As far as the vegetarian suggestions, duly noted - thank you, sir!

I worked as a nanny for an Indian family for about two years and would have loved to learn more about the cuisine, but they spoke very little English so our communication was a lot of exaggerated hand and arm gestures and more like "show and tell" when it came to cleaning or what activities the kids had going on. They called me Lisa (not my name) because that's the only American name they knew or could remember. But the smells! Yum! Yes, I remember all the delicious smells from the food.

This is so funny!! Two years is a long time to work like that!!

I do not like Indian food, or even much Asian food at all.....
    Er, or much ethnic foods in general.....well except Italian, love Italian food lol