Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how slow it is? Is it known how much fat loss/muscle gain can take place in a year (a range since there will always be personal variables)?

I'm just curios since I've seen people recomp when they give up on the last 5 or 10 pounds, and it can take them several years. With 20 pounds, would it be possible if he gave it enough time (and is that likely to be 10 years or something ridiculous)?

I worked with a women for 15 months on her recomp. Started at 150 @ 26% body fat and is now 147 @ 14.5% body fat. And these were validated by a DEXA scan. But she was also very meticulous with her logging (in fact, ate rather boring as she as the same thing almost daily). But for the most part, recomps are taking 2 to 3 times longer than a normal bulk/cut cycle.

So she gained 15 lbs of LBM in 15 months and lost 3 lbs of FM. Doesn't seem slow to me in the end it looks like she is were she would have been if she had have done the traditional bulk/cut cycle. Yes, it seems slow because the scale doesn't move and you don't see yourself blow up and shrink down but in the end it looks like she is right where she would have been anyway.

Well...when you put it that way.

Opps should have been 3lbs of total weight FM was about 18lbs lost.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how slow it is? Is it known how much fat loss/muscle gain can take place in a year (a range since there will always be personal variables)?

I'm just curios since I've seen people recomp when they give up on the last 5 or 10 pounds, and it can take them several years. With 20 pounds, would it be possible if he gave it enough time (and is that likely to be 10 years or something ridiculous)?

I worked with a women for 15 months on her recomp. Started at 150 @ 26% body fat and is now 147 @ 14.5% body fat. And these were validated by a DEXA scan. But she was also very meticulous with her logging (in fact, ate rather boring as she as the same thing almost daily). But for the most part, recomps are taking 2 to 3 times longer than a normal bulk/cut cycle.

So she gained 15 lbs of LBM in 15 months and lost 3 lbs of FM. Doesn't seem slow to me in the end it looks like she is were she would have been if she had have done the traditional bulk/cut cycle. Yes, it seems slow because the scale doesn't move and you don't see yourself blow up and shrink down but in the end it looks like she is right where she would have been anyway.

^ do it!!!

I'm scared haha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

IDK if i could be that meticulous with my logging for 15 months straight…I feel with a bulk/cut cycle you have a little more room for error…

but I could be wrong...

It's really a preference I guess.

true …maybe one day I will try it...
  • ndj1979
    Options

^ do it!!!

I'm scared haha

awww come on now…

then we can all live our recomp dreams through you….
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Interesting numbers @psulemon
    Do you have any results/numbers for males you have worked with?

Would you assume the normal rule of thumb that a male can add muscle twice as fast as a female?
    If so, seven and a half months would seem quite good to me.
  • arditarose
    Options

^ do it!!!

I'm scared haha

awww come on now…

lol. "Dreams" being the key word here. Anyway, I completely know this could not work for me. But I'm tired of losing fat and stalling on my lifts, and too fat to bulk. So, I'll give it a shot.
  • ndj1979
    Options

^ do it!!!

I'm scared haha

awww come on now…

lol. "Dreams" being the key word here. Anyway, I completely know this could not work for me. But I'm tired of losing fat and stalling on my lifts, and too fat to bulk. So, I'll give it a shot.

you are not fat …. :)
  • arditarose
    Options

^ do it!!!

I'm scared haha

awww come on now…

Let me rephrase..."my body fat percentage is too high" to bulk. Ha, thanks.
  • ndj1979
    Options

^ do it!!!

I'm scared haha

awww come on now…

Let me rephrase..."my body fat percentage is too high" to bulk. Ha, thanks.

:wink:
  • baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    well I've been eating a low fat, high carb diet for like a year and a half and it has helped me to lose fat while gaining muscle as long as i do my cardio and strength training
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Those results are pretty fabulous! That's better than I've had out of two bulk/cut cycles (well, one and a half (and I haven't seen my end results yet)).

This is the kind of thing that will talk me out of my cut - I have no discipline :(
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Is she eating at maintenance? Just wondering what your method is here...like what are her macros etc?

Definitely would like to know these answers too.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Whoops, sorry I think I put the wrong username for the quote.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

IDK if i could be that meticulous with my logging for 15 months straight…I feel with a bulk/cut cycle you have a little more room for error…

but I could be wrong...

It's really a preference I guess.

true …maybe one day I will try it...

I guess the key is tou get to a weight you want then recomp. I want to be about 10 pounds heavier so I'll just bulk for now.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

For sure, a female gaining a pound of muscle a month over 15 month is great progress.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have little doubt that it is essentially 'possible' to gain stength and maybe small muscle gains whilst mintaining.
    The only issue I have with this is that it is FAR too easy to just spin your wheels and not get very far unless you are highly accurate with your logging and consistent with your strength training.

On a personal lever I have gained 'strength' whilst minataining but with the best will in the world I don't think that anything other than a bulk would provide the kind of gains I like to see. The fat gains aren't significant enough to make me want to try something that would have a risk of little progress.
    That said, I can completely understand that for some people the idea of bodyfat gain is something they aren't quite ready for psychologically.

Wishing you all the best!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So, i must apologize, my numbers were off just a bit, but it still works out to be the same gain in lean body mass. And this wasn't a DEXA can, it was done with water immersion.

Stats - 39yr old female @ 5'9.

SW, BF%, LBM - 154, 28%, 111
    CW, BF%, LBM - 145, 13%, 126

Nutrition - 2200 calories, carbs 40% carbs, 20% fats, 40% protein (yes, I do realize the protein is a bit excessive, lol).

Workout - Crossfit five days a week.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Interesting numbers @psulemon
    Do you have any results/numbers for males you have worked with?

Would you assume the normal rule of thumb that a male can add muscle twice as fast as a female?
    If so, seven and a half months would seem quite good to me.

Unfortunately, I do not have any numbers for men. Since all of these are online relationships and many do not want to invest in or have access to DEXA/Hydrostatic test, I have run into some limitations (also, many do not have the dedication either).

Overall though, I do think men would see a bit more muscle. How much or how fast, I guess it would depend on how well that person was trained previously and how overweight. Obviously, the more overweight and more undertrained, the greater results. The person I am referencing was a cardio queen and started at 1400 calories. So I suspect, she achieved a few lbs of noob gains once we revamped her entire program.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Is she eating at maintenance? Just wondering what your method is here...like what are her macros etc?

While she has not done any test and based on the additional information i provided, 2200 definitely seems very close to maintenance or her actually maintenance or close enough.