losing fat/ gaining muscle mass simutaneously

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If she lost 9 lbs, albeit slowly, wouldn't that be a cut?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    So, i must apologize, my numbers were off just a bit, but it still works out to be the same gain in lean body mass. And this wasn't a DEXA can, it was done with water immersion.

Stats - 39yr old female @ 5'9.

SW, BF%, LBM - 154, 28%, 111
    CW, BF%, LBM - 145, 13%, 126

Nutrition - 2200 calories, carbs 40% carbs, 20% fats, 40% protein (yes, I do realize the protein is a bit excessive, lol).

Workout - Crossfit five days a week.

13% is incredibly low - is she a competitive bb'er?

Also, how long had she been lifting for out of interest?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    9 lbs lose and 15 lbs gained would be more considered a recomp. If she maintained mass and lost 9 lbs, it would be a loss. At least from my understanding.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    So, i must apologize, my numbers were off just a bit, but it still works out to be the same gain in lean body mass. And this wasn't a DEXA can, it was done with water immersion.

Nutrition - 2200 calories, carbs 40% carbs, 20% fats, 40% protein (yes, I do realize the protein is a bit excessive, lol).

She is not a body builder. Initially, her goal was to get to 18%. Once she got there, she wanted to get to 14% just to see if possible.

Also, no lifting prior to discussions with me. She was a low calorie, cardio queen. And then she found crossfit and really liked it. So crossfit was the beginning of her weight training regime. This is why I mentioned some newbie gains.

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    9 lbs lose and 15 lbs gained would be more considered a recomp. If she maintained mass and lost 9 lbs, it would be a loss. At least from my understanding.
    Alright, thank you. Either way, she lost actual weight, and gained muscle at the same time, which sounds good to me!
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

She is not a body builder. Initially, her goal was to get to 18%. Once she got there, she wanted to get to 14% just to see if possible.

Also, no lifting prior to discussions with me. She was a low calorie, cardio queen. And then she found crossfit and really liked it. So crossfit was the beginning of her weight training regime. This is why I mentioned some newbie gains.

Did she suffer any negative effects from pushing her bf that low?
    Did she maintain at that level or was it more of a let's see if we can, accomplish then back off?

She hasn't mentioned any issues.

Below is a breakout over the past 2.5 years.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    All, here is a breakout of all the test she had done and timeline. My first post should have read 18 months. That is when she saw the greatest changes. Over the last year, while BF% dropped, her lbm dropped about 1lb.

July 2012 154 @ 24%
    Oct 2012 152 @ 21.5%
    Mar 2013 153 @ 19.1%
    July 2013 151 @ 16.1%
    Feb 2014 149 @ 14.6%
    Currently 145 @ 13%
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Unfortunately that type of data isnt available with her test.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Trust me, i am disappointed too. I love that kind of data.

Although, this has me curious if i can get this data for myself.