What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    A weird number of my friends now seem overly concerned that I don't eat enough. And are ALWAYS trying to feed me when we hang out. I eat plenty but I think because they see me getting smaller they're somehow convinced I'm starving myself.

I can definitely relate, my friends do the same thing with me!

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    That envious relatives who are well past their youth will ask you not to lose any more weight, as if their opinion of your body mattered. I'll stop when I feel like it. End of. The faux concern is cute, though.

Also, that it's okay to allow people to live their happy or unhappy lives without interference. That an overweight or obese person has the right to be unhealthy, the same as we have the right to be healthy and that perhaps maybe they don't want our unsolicited thoughts, opinions, and advice.

I appreciate that. My eyebrows raised when I hear formerly obese people admit to judging fat people. Did they forget they had to be "ready," before they made changes?

Would they have appreciated others making the comments they now say they think towards others?

It might be more of a projection of their feelings toward their former selves.

But thank you, again, for bringing that up.
    I have a low opinion of obese people who act like they don't care about their weight when they clearly do, but I had a low opinion of myself when I was obese also. I don't go around telling them that I have a low opinion of them, but the feeling is there. I agree that it is probably a projection of obese me.

1) What of those people who are obese, grinding every day at the gym? Why should they have a low opinion of themselves?

2) What of those people who are obese, but are great moms and dads, kids, friends, neighbors, or help those who are less fortunate? Are they supposed to feel depressed because they failed at weight management?

3) What of those people who are obese who have significant other skills and talents? Are they supposed to feel less than you because they have an area of weakness?

I reject the notion that people who haven't figured it all out in life are less worthy of my respect.

I teach my children to work on their weaknesses - while reminding them that we are ALL working on something.
    1. That's great that they are working hard and they should definitely not have a low opinion of themselves. It would be great if nobody had a low opinion of themselves, but I know that's not possible.

2. Of course not. I never said anyone should feel depressed. I don't have a low opinion of anyone who failed at weight management. I have a low opinion of people who fail at weight managment and resort to lying to their kids, friends, and neighbors. I especially have a low opinion of obese people who try to convince their children they're okay with being obese. That's one of the sickest lies you can tell children. That's probably part of why childhood obesity is on the rise.

3. No. If someone feels less than me, there's not much I can do to change that, sad but true. I certainly don't go around telling folks they should feel less than me.

You seem to think I have a low opinion of obese people in general. I can assure you I don't.

I reject the notion that anyone is worthy of my respect before they earn it and few people earn my respect.

The part in bold...I'm interested in hearing opinions on that. It used to be (literally, when I was a kid, and I'm only 28) that the heavy kid was made fun of, shunned, etc. Now, in my children's generation, there's a significant percentage that are overweight or obese, and I guess because of the common occurrence of it, it's now much more accepted and these children are more normalized in a sense of socialization in school, etc. I presume this is the reason and not because we have been positively teaching their generation to not make judge/ridicule/bully others for their differences. Childhood obesity just isn't that much different anymore. Is the increasing acceptance of childhood obesity an overall positive or negative thing?

The ADA projects a 49% increase in childhood Type 2 diabetes over 40 years at the current rate. The same article states 25% of the Medicare budget is spent on managing the disease.

http://www.diabetes.org/newsroom/press-releases/2012/number-of-youth-with-diabetes-projected-to-rise-by-2050.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    when I lay on my side and my knees touch --so uncomfortable

I hate this as well - I couldn't work out how on earth I was bruising the INSIDES of my knees, until I twigged that it was the result of my knees clanking together. Sleeping is dreadfully uncomfortable now :(

I know this is from some time ago but try placing a pillow between your knees at night! MUCH more comfortable!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!