What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @JeromeBarry1 Oh no--I don't think THAT's what it is! Well, unless all those times I googled what a 5'6" hourglass figure looks like at various weights is catching up with me!

@CeciliaBobilia I honestly do think that would be taken the wrong way by the advertising industry.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    maisiba wrote: »
    How grocery shopping is a different experience now. You're not getting judged for what you buy anymore.

When you stand eg in the aisle with the sweets looking at chocolate, nobody looks weirdly at you anymore. You know that 'perhaps she should be eating that' look you get. Same when you line up your food at the cashier. The other day I had like 5 huge boxes of ice cream (ice cream are the treats I'm including into my diet) and nobody even blinked.

At the same time, I'm not hiding anything in my shopping cart from plain view anymore either (did anyone else hide the "bad stuff" like sweets, cake, etc under veggies, salad, et all because you were a bit embarrassed?).

Yep I do it now and its sort of a bittersweet thing for me because it keeps me from getting the bad stuff yet I sometimes wish I could be at goal so that I could get a piece of cake or ice cream that isn't Halo Top without the stares.
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    - That eating healthy, veggies & low fat, lean meats) can mean eating a lot of food - some days I am just tired of eating, and still don't reach my calorie goal.

This is a real challange for me, and that is before I add exercise back in.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well, I already wear a small or xs, but I'll never rock a Dora the Explorer shirt because my shoulders are too broad to wear children's sizes.

Can absolutely rock my Thunderbirds tees, boys size 10 (NZ). Sadly awesome glow in the dark Darth Vader tee is a little short in the body thanks to my boobs, which are bigger than when I was 25. Love that tee, but not about to give up my cleavage for it.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    anybeary wrote: »
    The most surprising thing is that people think nasty comments about your size are doubly okay now that you're thin. Nope. When you say, "Gawd, you're so skinny," and grimace while rolling your eyes, that's NOT a compliment. Your face betrays that it's not a compliment. Commenting on other people's bodies is just not okay, no matter what size the person is!

There's a fine line between compliment and insult. Someone making a specific comment such as "wow, your traps are looking great" while I'm at the gym working on them is fine, but just "skinny", not always appropriate.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Being honest does not equal fat shaming.

Hey, I do a lot of fat to lose. Most people are very touchy. Last time I stated how much I want to lose and what my personal goals were, I was accused of body shaming someone. Personally, my ultimate goal is to drop under 10% BF with a very muscular build. It's a long ways off, but I'm getting closer every day. But that's just me. Honesty can be rude, I personally don't take offense. Why would I, I'm an adult and words are just words, especially form someone that is a stranger to me.

10-13% body fat is essential fat for women. That's not an attainable goal. Even competition levels for women are somewhere around 16%, IIRC.

I have a friend who did her first bikini (I think that was her category) comp last year. She's also a PT herself. She competed at around 11% I think but she had to go that low because of her composition, she needed to go that low for her legs to get where she wanted them. She certainly doesn't maintain anywhere near that because it's unrealistic and damaging.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That seeing your progress can be addictive. I was constantly wanting to take new progress pictures and I actually cried last night when I realized the album I had on my phone with all of my progress pictures was deleted somehow (still cant figure out how, still sad) Luckily I posted one on here, was able to find it and so I have my very first one, but thats the best I can get.

Maybe someone else has responded, but if not - you can get your deleted pics back. I did the same thing a while back. Can't remember the specific instructions. Did a Google search and found instructions there that worked. Good luck! (For me, the pics help me stay motivated!)
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    you will not feel happier in yourself, you're finding that the smaller you are the smaller you feel and the smaller your voice becomes.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    That seeing your progress can be addictive. I was constantly wanting to take new progress pictures and I actually cried last night when I realized the album I had on my phone with all of my progress pictures was deleted somehow (still cant figure out how, still sad) Luckily I posted one on here, was able to find it and so I have my very first one, but thats the best I can get.

Maybe someone else has responded, but if not - you can get your deleted pics back. I did the same thing a while back. Can't remember the specific instructions. Did a Google search and found instructions there that worked. Good luck! (For me, the pics help me stay motivated!)

Ill look into this now, I havent been able to find a way but Ill keep looking thanks so much!
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

How hard it would be to find a pair of jeans that fit. I literally looked in every store in town for a pair of 30Wx30L Levi's 501s and couldn't find any. (Scary thing is I found some 36W and 40Wx30L pairs, but no 38W. :o ) Ended up having to order a pair off Amazon. But they fit perfectly; a touch loose so as they shrink they should snug up nicely. One bad thing: they're hard to get over my calves.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!