Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 3,622Member Member Posts: 3,622Member Member
    Have talked to yoga daughter. She said she had a brief eating disorder, one she hid so well, I had nooooooo idea. And her sister-in-law has been hospitalized several times for one, so she assumed the worst. I had told her several times I was working on losing weight, but she was in the middle of a cross country move, and it either didn’t register or she didn’t take it seriously. After all, as my other daughter puts it, “we’ve never known you small, mom”.

We are definitely not “a Facebook” perfect family, nor would we want to be one. That would just be....dull. The warts, short tempers, and outright weird shared personality traits (like the family penchant for scatalogical jokes-the ruder the better, and anything involving laser cats) are what make us unique to each other. Sometimes our worst misunderstandings are simply an opportunity to reconnect.

I have a new weight adventure! I think this might be an NSV, though.

Took a young friend to family swim at the health club Sunday. I was sitting in the whirlpool, watching him swim in the big pool, glanced down, and saw my big round belly. My first thought was, “well, I guess nothing’s really changed after all, has it?”. Cue great disappointment. Suddenly dawned on me to pat my belly. All the whirlpool bubbles whooshed out of my swimsuit! Much joy!!! I spent the next ten minutes inflating and deflating and giggling like a fool.

Aw, I'm glad you sorted it out! It can be hard to get used to when the people we love change, even when the changes are positive!
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 3,711Member Member Posts: 3,711Member Member
    sgriska wrote: »
    That you’ll go to rub the back of your neck and shoulders and it will feel like a completely different person back there, like you’re rubbing the wrong back!

Haha, I love this! This made me laugh. :smile:
  • johnljacksonjohnljackson Posts: 2Member, Premium Member Posts: 2Member, Premium Member
    Kelll12123 wrote: »

- Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.

hahaha this... My back is bruised from doing workouts on the floor because my shoulder blades stick out so much now.

No one told me how annoying buying clothes could be. It's great when they fit, but I keep going down sizes and needing to buy more and then not having a purpose for the larger sizes.

On a more positive note, I get hit on a lot more. Three different guys asked me out for Valentine's Day this year :)

Good for you for getting hit on a lot more. I'm sure this gives people a chance now to see how beautiful you are on the inside. Congrats!
  • debrakgooginsdebrakgoogins Posts: 1,457Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,457Member, Premium Member
    As for the yoga-instructor's daughter - she didn't think you'd succeed and thus doesn't know how to deal with the fact that you did. Just let her be.

Edited because I typed to fast and didn't see that you had a conversation with your daughter. I'm glad things are good with you again.
    edited February 7
  • solieco1solieco1 Posts: 1,095Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,095Member, Premium Member
    How long your neck is can be really freaky when you’re not used to being able to see most of it. Feel like a swan — and not always in a good way! LOL!

This is SO funny - not 5 minutes ago I almost made a comment on your success story about how beautiful your neck is but thought it sounded too weird! :smiley:
  • workinonit1956workinonit1956 Posts: 976Member Member Posts: 976Member Member
    That you’ll go to rub the back of your neck and shoulders and it will feel like a completely different person back there, like you’re rubbing the wrong back!

So true! lol. Bones and angles I never know were there!
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Posts: 817Member Member Posts: 817Member Member
    Okay, this is a bit of a weird one. I'm a hairy woman. I have quite a bit of hair on my chin. It used to sit under my chin, in my double-chin area. Now it sits on my chin, inching closer to my bottom lip. I also carry a chunk of weight in my face so reducing my weight has definitely reduced a lot of fat in that area.
    That’s is so funny, Rel. As a post menopausal woman, I always figured the Big Bad Wolf was, too. I mean the whole “hair of my chinny chin chin” proves it, right? But with weight loss, mine have moved further down my neck. And gotten fewer. I’m good with that but I think it’s hysterical that you’re noticing a difference, too! What a journey!!!! May yours be fewer and... blonder?

Lolllll, yes, I think the amount I deal with decreases as I lose. I think it's mainly related to hormones, and losing weight has improved my hormone balance. I'm only 31 so I've got a while before I have to deal with all that! May we all hope for the lightest and least-coarse hairs there are.
  • sgriskasgriska Posts: 87Member Member Posts: 87Member Member
    Okay, this is a bit of a weird one. I'm a hairy woman. I have quite a bit of hair on my chin. It used to sit under my chin, in my double-chin area. Now it sits on my chin, inching closer to my bottom lip. I also carry a chunk of weight in my face so reducing my weight has definitely reduced a lot of fat in that area.
    That’s is so funny, Rel. As a post menopausal woman, I always figured the Big Bad Wolf was, too. I mean the whole “hair of my chinny chin chin” proves it, right? But with weight loss, mine have moved further down my neck. And gotten fewer. I’m good with that but I think it’s hysterical that you’re noticing a difference, too! What a journey!!!! May yours be fewer and... blonder?

Lolllll, yes, I think the amount I deal with decreases as I lose. I think it's mainly related to hormones, and losing weight has improved my hormone balance. I'm only 31 so I've got a while before I have to deal with all that! May we all hope for the lightest and least-coarse hairs there are.

Yeah, mine is drifting downwards, but far as I can tell hasn’t lessened or lightened any. But, heck, I just shave it off every day, and that’ll be the same whether it’s a single strand or a full beard, so I guess it ultimately doesn’t matter much to me.