Cussing at/to Children

Options

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Most of us are educated enough to choose another word to replace a curse word with. We have so many words at our disposal to use. :ohwell:

sure i can drive around the forest to get to grandmas house but sometimes im in a hurry and just drive right through the forest trees be damned (i use my mach 5s saw blades to clear a path)
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    So, because children will learn cuss words anyway, their parents may as well use them with them? Really?
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Most of us are educated enough to choose another word to replace a curse word with. We have so many words at our disposal to use. :ohwell:

sure i can drive around the forest to get to grandmas house but sometimes im in a hurry and just drive right through the forest trees be damned (i use my mach 5s saw blades to clear a path)

Fair enough :indifferent:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    cussing is usually derogatory in nature so it CAn be verbal abuse. I try not to cuss but it's slipped at times.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options

Then why cut out a whole category of words and thus narrow your nice broad vocabulary? They're just words. I don't even understand how people can find enough substance in the "they're swear words" distinction to get all that worked up about it. What's going to happen if they go so mainstream that the concept of "swear words" is lost from our culture (not that such a thing would happen... swearing wouldn't be any fun anymore!) But seriously, what's the fear?

I have an English degree. I have a broad vocabulary. I know lots of writers, many with terminal degrees. And you know? Writers swear a LOT. So this isn't an "education" or a "vocabulary" failure.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    while I don't really find it verbal abuse in a lot of cases...
    What's the need to use that language in front of chidren?

And who cares how much they hear it elsewhere. Doesn;' thave to be from you too....
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    its verbal abuse yes
    and u shoul d never d oit
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think there is a big difference between cussing AT and around kids. Cussing at kids is unacceptable. I had teacher who would cuss and it made them seem more laid back. I remember in my 70's& 80's history class, my teacher once said something about drug kinpins being *kitten* and the class laughed. He always kept our attention and always made his lectures stick. One of the best classes I ever took and enjoyed. We even watched "Blow" in that class. :glasses:

I too cuss like a sailor and my child never repeats me. I may have mentioned to him after slipping one or two in front of him, that they are bad words for kids and he knows not to use them. I never use them while talking to him..
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Emphasis on *most*. With a universe of words at your disposal, why choose the most vulgar? We regularly replace swear words at our house with "Blast!" "Crikey!" or simply, "Curses!"

Yes, kids are going to learn the words eventually. But I want my daughter to get through childhood without thinking that such language is common or acceptable.
  • wineplease
    Options
    I wonder why certain amount of cussing and certain words make the film industry give movies a higher rating? And the federal government seeks to protect children from hearing curse words by censoring language on tv shows, especially during "kid hours". Perhaps because there's some psychological issue with children being exposed to so much cussing?
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options

Then why cut out a whole category of words and thus narrow your nice broad vocabulary? They're just words. I don't even understand how people can find enough substance in the "they're swear words" distinction to get all that worked up about it. What's going to happen if they go so mainstream that the concept of "swear words" is lost from our culture (not that such a thing would happen... swearing wouldn't be any fun anymore!) But seriously, what's the fear?

I have an English degree. I have a broad vocabulary. I know lots of writers, many with terminal degrees. And you know? Writers swear a LOT. So this isn't an "education" or a "vocabulary" failure.

Hmmmm, I didn't think I was all that worked up about it.....:huh:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I think it reflects pretty well on our society that we have the luxury of debating whether or not something trivial like this is "abuse".

On a personal level - I just don't care. I had teachers, principals and other authority figures that whacked us when we deserved it and ones that cussed at us - it usually had the desired effect (we'd straighten up) and we all turned out fine.

I think "verbal abuse" and "emotional abuse" are usually BS terms thrown about by over-sensitive people.

And I'm not really a fan of over-sensitive people.
  • elawoman72
    elawoman72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cursing AT a child = belittling that child = emotional abuse.

What other reason would you curse AT a child than to express YOUR anger by breaking them down/belittling them?

Depending on the age/maturity of the child, I believe it would be MUCH more impactful if this is coming from your parent vs. a coach/teacher. IMO. Not saying there is no impact with this kind of treatment, just MUCH more coming from your parent.
  • wineplease
    Options
    I had teacher who would cuss and it made them seem more laid back. I remember in my 70's& 80's history class, my teacher once said something about drug kinpins being *kitten* and the class laughed. He always kept our attention and always made his lectures stick. One of the best classes I ever took and enjoyed. We even watched "Blow" in that class.

That's one of the problems I see. I see teachers who want to seem cool to kids. I don't think a good teacher needs to cuss in order to keep students' attention in class.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I once said "Oh heck" in front of my six-year-old nephew and every part of his face got super round and he said "Auntie, that's a bad, bad, baaaaaaaaaaaad word!" My sister had to step in so I could avoid being sent to HIS room. It was hilarious!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I had teacher who would cuss and it made them seem more laid back. I remember in my 70's& 80's history class, my teacher once said something about drug kinpins being *kitten* and the class laughed. He always kept our attention and always made his lectures stick. One of the best classes I ever took and enjoyed. We even watched "Blow" in that class.

That's one of the problems I see. I see teachers who want to seem cool to kids. I don't think a good teacher needs to cuss in order to keep students' attention in class.

The atmosphere it creates. It takes the formality away. Young'ns do a lot better when the formality is gone and the environment takes on a more casual feel.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I am a step mother to a 20 year old boy. And sometime in the past and present he is just a pain in the butt. He is old enough to hear whatever word I might chose to use but I still find I get better results if i call him a jerk instead of and *kitten*. I think when I say something more harsh it is hurtful and I lose creditability.

I think cussing in general is makes people look bad. That being said I certainly do it sometimes, but try not to. To each their own. I'm not going to talk down to someone who cusses or not be friends with them b/c of it. In the grand scheme of things it's not a deal breaker. But I do not believe in cussing at children epically young ones.

No anyone joining the military or hoping to play a pro sport needs to get over it b/c drill sergeants and coaches will say what they need to say to get eh results they need.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I once said "Oh heck" in front of my six-year-old nephew and every part of his face got super round and he said "Auntie, that's a bad, bad, baaaaaaaaaaaad word!" My sister had to step in so I could avoid being sent to HIS room. It was hilarious!

Yeah, every time I slip up, my daughter (9) says she is going to tell MY mom...

I'm a bit worried about how my mom's trip up here in July is going to go...

I don't want to eat soap again... :)
  • wineplease
    Options
    The atmosphere it creates. It takes the formality away. Young'ns do a lot better when the formality is gone and the environment takes on a more casual feel.

Do you have stats on that? Like I said, I work in a high school. The boys talk about the teachers who cuss because they want to seem cool. The kids don't really think that teacher is cool. They think he wants to look cool. They actually have more respect for the ones who don't. But, this is just my experience where I am.