Cussing at/to Children

Options

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    it is verbal abuse, hands down. It fits the definition 110%.
    You may have gotten your definition in math class.

ETA: I don't agree with you definition.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

i see what you did there...but it is verbal abuse. Anyone that thinks otherwise knows absolutely nothing about what abuse looks like. Blinders on!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think putting the word off-limits is what sends them into that 'phase' every kid has when they first learn it, where they use it all the time just because it's a new word that they're not 'supposed' to be using. If I planned on having kids I would raise them not to give any words more power over others. I think taking away the severity of curse words would take away the desire to use them excessively.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    i see what you did there...but it is verbal abuse. Anyone that thinks otherwise knows absolutely nothing about what abuse looks like. Blinders on!
    Find me a definition of verbal abuse that says cussing must be part of the verbal abuse for it to be verbal abuse and I will eat my socks.

Blinders on, indeed.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    He was a great teacher. That he cussed is secondary, right? Unless you are arguing him cussing keeps him from being a great eacher, you are stating the obvious.
    Yes, in my mind, he was not a great teacher because he cussed so much. Teaching in the classroom is more than just the material being covered.
    Whether I agree with cussing in the classroom or not, I don't think it defines teaching greatness. That is, I don't think it's important enough to make a great teacher not great.
    I posit that the issues we, as parents, think cussing has on our children are directly proportional to how we feel about cussing ourselves.
    What about the points I made regarding federal government guidelines for profanity and children? Surely this comes from some well respected study. No?
    Honestly, I was ready to concede on this point until I starting poking around the Internet and discovered The Tubes didn't contain a lot of definitive info. I'd find articles claiming studies show profanity linked to violence, poor performance, etc. then would see it was published by the Moral Crusade or some such organization.

I'm not saying Psychology Today is the end-all reference, but I believe the statements that there is very little data to offer a conclusive answer either way.

So I'm going with my gut and saying that movie and TV ratings - at least with regard to language - have as much to do with the comfort level of the adults making those rules than anything else. (e.g. not about the kids)

I think we tend to want to "protect" kids from what we are uncomfortable with. It's only natural. It's instinctual, but not very scientific. And often not very reasonable.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Do you know how hard it would be to constantly cuss at your kids?

Okay. I believe cussing at your children on a regular basis is a form of verbal abuse. This is not the same as cussing around your children. I'm talking about cussing at them. It's wrong and verbally abusive. IMO.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    verbal abuse can be other things than swearing, but it does meet the criteria. And I am sourcing myself for 2 years in college studying social services, 4 years earning my BA and working on a thesis that involves abuse, 8 years experience working with marginalized persons who are prone to abuse due to ****ed up systemic issues, and many many courses on family psychology, child development, and sexual violence (and yes, that involves verbal profanities!). Want a citation? Go to google scholar or call an abused woman's shelter and they can explore issues with you and enlighten you!
  • wineplease
    Options
    Whether I agree with cussing in the classroom or not, I don't think it defines teaching greatness. That is, I don't think it's important enough to make a great teacher not great.

That is just a matter of opinion. No teacher who cusses in the classroom is a great teacher, in my opinion. It lacks professionalism. It lacks class. It shows a lack of judgement. It shows a lack of self control. While you may be able to communicate the material, you are not great in my mind if you need to cuss or have the desire to cuss in front of your students.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    F@ck yeah
  • wineplease
    Options
    Find me a definition of verbal abuse that says cussing must be part of the verbal abuse for it to be verbal abuse and I will eat my socks.

Of course it's not going to say that cussing "must" be part of the verbal abuse. But, you can verbally abuse someone with cuss words.
  • bearkisses
    Options

Of course it's not going to say that cussing "must" be part of the verbal abuse. But, you can verbally abuse someone with cuss words.

I like to call thinkers like him 'reductionists'.

Anyway, exploring what 'abuse' is, is really hard to quantify in terms of good scientific studies. But if this person wants good sources the best place to look would be at the agencies that work with both abusers/survivors. However, I have a feeling they won't deem that scientific enough.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here remembering the day that my daughter came home from school one day and said I hope I am never a ketchup. I was like huh? She said that in her class the teacher every day divided the class into ketchups and mustards. I said why? Well the mustards are the kids who did really well and mustered up but the ketchups were catch-ups who didn't do so good. And on top of that if you were a ketchup, you were placed in a 3 sided box so you could catch-up and 4th graders being typical 4th graders, teased the ketchups, etc.

I was appalled at this method of teaching. Feel free to guess what I did!
  • kennethmgreen
    Options

I like to call thinkers like him 'reductionists'.

Anyway, exploring what 'abuse' is, is really hard to quantify in terms of good scientific studies. But if this person wants good sources the best place to look would be at the agencies that work with both abusers/survivors. However, I have a feeling they won't deem that scientific enough.
    I like to call thinkers like you 'missingthepointists" or sometimes "pushingyourownagendaists"

This discussion was about cussing and whether it is abusive. Cussing in and of itself is not verbal abuse. Just like striking someone in and of itself is not physical abuse. Or sexual penetration in and of itself is not sexual abuse.

I don't deny that verbal abuse often contains cussing, that physical abuse often contains striking someone, or that sexual abuse often includes penetration. I'm simply saying that are not one and the same.

OF COURSE "you can verbally abuse someone with cuss words." I'm not denying that. I AM saying that cussing at someone does not equate verbal abuse.

I'm not splitting hairs. You are attaching hairs.

And in case it matters, I have experience working in an emergency shelter for abused and neglected kids, working with CPS and the court system, etc. So I do have some context around child abuse - both verbal and physical.
  • wineplease
    Options
    I was appalled at this method of teaching. Feel free to guess what I did!
    Cussed the teacher out? :laugh:
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    That is just a matter of opinion. No teacher who cusses in the classroom is a great teacher, in my opinion. It lacks professionalism. It lacks class. It shows a lack of judgement. It shows a lack of self control. While you may be able to communicate the material, you are not great in my mind if you need to cuss or have the desire to cuss in front of your students.
    We'll just have to disagree not to agree, then. ;)

Measuring teacher greatness is almost exclusively opinion, because most metrics are actually measuring student performance. I work at an organization that studies this kind of stuff.

We're back to context and details. Using your words above, at what point does a teacher who you otherwise deem "great" suddenly become NOT great? If he hits his thumb with a hammer and exclaims "*kitten*!"? If he does that four times in a year? Which cuss words remove a teacher from greatness? And how many times would she have to say each word? Do some cuss words have more greatness-removing power than others?
  • wineplease
    Options
    OF COURSE "you can verbally abuse someone with cuss words." I'm not denying that. I AM saying that cussing at someone does not equate verbal abuse.
    Do you believe that parents cussing AT their children is verbal abuse?
  • wineplease
    Options
    We'll just have to disagree not to agree, then. ;)
    Yup. We just have different opinions.
    Measuring teacher greatness is almost exclusively opinion, because most metrics are actually measuring student performance. I work at an organization that studies this kind of stuff.
    And I work at a place that measures great teachers differently. I get that.
    We're back to context and details. Using your words above, at what point does a teacher who you otherwise deem "great" suddenly become NOT great? If he hits his thumb with a hammer and exclaims "*kitten*!"? If he does that four times in a year? Which cuss words remove a teacher from greatness? And how many times would she have to say each word? Do some cuss words have more greatness-removing power than others?
    Slipping up and apologizing to your students is one thing. Cussing on any regular basis in the classroom is wrong, and that goes for @ss, *kitten*, and the F bomb.
  • kennethmgreen
    Options
    Do you believe that parents cussing AT their children is verbal abuse?
    No. Not always.

That's a f&cking awesome book report! You are a godd@amn rock star! (maybe not great parenting, but not verbal abuse)
    Godd*ammit! I'm really f&cking angry at you for crossing the street without looking! (not verbal abuse, but maybe borderline)
    You are a f%cking loser who will never amount to anything! (verbal abuse - HOWEVER....)
    You are a loser who will never amount to anything! (also verbal abuse)

The cussing does not make it abuse.

That's my whole point.

The cussing does not make it abuse. The abuse makes it abuse.
  • wineplease
    Options
    That's a f&cking awesome book report! You are a godd@amn rock star! (maybe not great parenting, but not verbal abuse)
    I guess the difference in my mind is that I don't consider this cussing AT your child as much as TO your child. To me, cussing AT your child is verbal abuse.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Using curse words and cursing at children are 2 very different concepts. If the child is very young, as cursing towards them can really hurt them, but if they're in middle school, and you say something like "that was really F*cking stupid of you to do that" or something like that, I don't think that's abuse it might shock them into thinking more about what they did, it would have to be in a calm way like you know you're telling them to think about what they've done.
    I think using curse words around children, but not to them, is really okay, like they're going to hear the words, and it's best to not make them these ways to rebel these things that are never to be said because then when they get upset even in public they might use them, if you teach them these are words people use when they are upset, and they're not good they can hurt people stuff like that, but don't like kick yourself over using one i think that's okay. Kids hear it now in music, on tv, from other kids, and from adults in passing, there's no way to keep them from hearing it. In my schools the teachers would use the lesser curse words like *kitten* and A$S in their you know describtions of things like this guy lived a **** life, or this guy was an a$s hole, stuff like that and it just made them more like real people, people you could be friends with, because there wasn't this wall of coloquialisms between us