I need clean eating motivation and friends!

Options

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Femisfit wrote: »
    i love to support friends, but sometimes what I see them eat makes me cringe. Cookie dough for lunch? "I stayed under my calorie goal so it's okay" Does anyone do it "right?"
    Hi! I try to eat clean most of the time...lots of unprocessed veggies, proteins and carbs. I understand the basic concept of CICO, but choose to do it with more nutrient dense foods. Friend me if you want.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The thing is, everyone's standard for food is not the same, and I think that's why people on both sides aren't going to understand. What someone may think of as being fine to eat someone else may consider "bad" to eat. I mean, there were a couple instances I had 70% dark chocolate at breakfast. It wasn't even that much (less than an ounce), but a couple people (not on MFP) that knew I ate that thought that I shouldn't be doing that at breakfast.

i guess you still don't get it..

food is not good or bad, so there is no need to assign a moralistic value to it.

food is just energy that fuels your body, period, end of story.

But all food is not created equally and some is more healthier than other.

Food choice has everything to do with a healthy diet.

Now weight loss and body comp, that has less to do with food choice.

Weight loss - purely calories.

Body comp - macros.

so you are saying that 100 calories of twinkies does not equal 100 calories of green beans?

I have never once argued against the bolded part.

I'm saying a hundred calories from green beans is healthier than 100 calories from twinkies.

I thought it was quite clear what I was saying?

define "healthy"

if I eat both and hit my calorie/micro/macro target for the day then what does it matter?

no, you are never clear; or you are just being intentionally unclear…my guess is the later...

[Healthier foods are those that are the most nutritionally dense - They contain the highest amounts of vitamins & minerals with the least amount of unhealthy fats & calories.

Are you claiming that green beans and twinkies are nutritional twins?

I just ran my earlier post past my 5 year old (he got it)!!!

Also, who said anything about hitting your macros for the day? I'm sure if you've made those healthier choices earlier in the day then enjoy some less healthier food, when all the other areas are covered.

But that wasn't my point and unless you are being ignorant (which I don't believe you are) you would know that.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    The thing is, everyone's standard for food is not the same, and I think that's why people on both sides aren't going to understand. What someone may think of as being fine to eat someone else may consider "bad" to eat. I mean, there were a couple instances I had 70% dark chocolate at breakfast. It wasn't even that much (less than an ounce), but a couple people (not on MFP) that knew I ate that thought that I shouldn't be doing that at breakfast.

food is not good or bad, so there is no need to assign a moralistic value to it.

Body comp - macros.

so you are saying that 100 calories of twinkies does not equal 100 calories of green beans?

I'm saying a hundred calories from green beans is healthier than 100 calories from twinkies.

And I say...absent context...your statement is wrong...or at least not necessarily true.

But all food is not created equally and some are more healthier than others.

Body comp - macros.

So what is untrue about this statement?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

if I eat both and hit my calorie/micro/macro target for the day then what does it matter?

no, you are never clear; or you are just being intentionally unclear…my guess is the later...

[Healthier foods are those that are the most nutritionally dense - They contain the highest amounts of vitamins & minerals with the least amount of unhealthy fats & calories.

Also, who said anything about hitting your macros for the day? I'm sure if you've made those healthier choices earlier in the day then enjoy some less healthier food, when all the other areas are covered.

But that wasn't my point and unless you are being ignorant (which I don't believe you are) you would know that.

My point is that absent dietary context there is no way to know…

as I don't know anyone that is advocating a diet of 100% green beans or twinkies.

the answer to your question is two fold…

if you are considering them in a vacuum where nothing else happens, then yes, green beans are 'healthier'

if you are considering them in the real world where you take into account diet, training, etc, then the answer is that it depends on the overall diet.

no, I don't look at it as "health" vs "non healthy"..I look at am I hitting my calorie/micro/macro goal and what I feel like eating…

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    We need to go back to tiramisu cheesecake/ diabeetes cups and all the other good stuff
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I ate a whole pint of pistachio gelato last night. I might have to make some Diabeetus Cups in a few weeks. I'll buy organic and natural items to make it and call them "Clean Diabeetus Cups"

family-guy-cookie-monster-smosh.gif
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

as I don't know anyone that is advocating a diet of 100% green beans or twinkies.

if you are considering them in a vacuum where nothing else happens, then yes, green beans are 'healthier'

if you are considering them in the real world where you take into account diet, training, etc, then the answer is that it depends on the overall diet.

no, I don't look at it as "health" vs "non healthy"..I look at am I hitting my calorie/micro/macro goal and what I feel like eating…

For a healthy diet food choice has everything to do with it.

I wouldn't exclude any food from a healthy diet (well broad beans), but the choice of quantity of particular food and macro split is important.

You do love your straw man arguments. You bought up twinkies and green beans, you also turned this into a calories issue. The calorific content of the food has nothing to do with the equation (only that at the end of the day the calorific value hits the goals set)

And you are right to not look at it as healthy and non-healthy. No food is non-healthy!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    CignaSi wrote: »
    Look people..she stated she needed inspirational clean eating friends since that is her goal. Insulting her for not being like you says more about you, then her. Let's lift up, and not knock down. We are all in this together with different goals. If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. It is counterproductive to this site's goal, which is to help one another.

i guess you missed the part where she blasted someones food diary for having cookie dough in it...

Right? I ate cheesecake for breakfast yesterday. I'm totally a failure, and sabotaging everyone with my choices ;)

CHAOS!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

^This reminds me of this quote from Eric Helms:

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food!"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

"Once our nutrient needs are met, we don’t get extra credit for eating more nutritious food!"

QFT!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

I wouldn't exclude any food from a healthy diet (well broad beans), but the choice of quantity of particular food and macro split is important.

You do love your straw man arguments. You bought up twinkies and green beans, you also turned this into a calories issue. The calorific content of the food has nothing to do with the equation (only that at the end of the day the calorific value hits the goals set)

And you are right to not look at it as healthy and non-healthy. No food is non-healthy!

you basically just agreed with everything I have been saying.

and please explain in a clear and concise manner, exactly how I created a straw man argument…

My point, which I guess that you do not understand, is that since you don't eat twinkie and green beans in a vacuum it is impossible to say which one is healthier without know the context of the overall diet.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

That's absolutely true, but meeting your nutrient needs first - requires choice (or magic)!

I'm not saying exclude any food, I'm not calling any food unhealthy, I'm just saying a healthy diet requires good choice.

When your micros and certain macros are met then enjoy what you like.

• ndj1979
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

unless your name is tennis dude…
  • tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

Please point to one post I have ever written which disagrees with this statement.

• ndj1979
    edited February 2015
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

Please point to one post I have ever written which disagrees with this statement.

good, I am glad we agree.

• tennisdude2004
    edited February 2015
    Options

Body comp - macros.

define "healthy"

you basically just agreed with everything I have been saying.

and please explain in a clear and concise manner, exactly how I created a straw man argument…

My point, which I guess that you do not understand, is that since you don't eat twinkie and green beans in a vacuum it is impossible to say which one is healthier without know the context of the overall diet.

My original statement was very clear, a healthy diet has everything to do with food choice and that all food is not created equally.

You said that food was 'just food' that fueled your body, period, end of story - 'I can have the clerk read it back for you if you like'

I then said!

'But all food is not created equally and some is more healthier than other.

Body comp - macros.'

I'm not advocating 'not' eating twinkies and cannot remember every having done that.

You claimed all food was the same, I was pointing out it's not, different food offers different micro nutrients and choosing the right food is vital for a healthy diet!

You then started going on about twinkies and green beans and asked if they equaled each other - no they don't! But then that question was off topic from my original point.

I really am surprised you seem to think all food is the same and is just fuel????

• Femisfit
    Femisfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Just think how pissed off the "clean eaters" are going to be 20 - 40 years from now (or whatever number gets them to the golden years) when they realize, it was all for nothing...

Actually you are wrong here. I'll explain why - once we leave certain foods from our diet we pretty much don't care about them.

I stopped eating ice cream when I was I think 14 - 15 years old. I would get severe chest congestion. The doc asked me to stop eating it for some time because they wanted to pin point the cause of these flares. Ice cream was the reason.

Anyway fast forward to 2015, I don't miss it one bit. It's been 28 years I haven't eaten ice cream.

I think most people would argue that giving up something for a medical reason isn't quite the same as giving up something because of the arbitrary "bad" label applied.

In any event, glad you figured out what the problem was!

Please refer to my response above. The question here is not about "bad food", "medical reasons", "clean whaatever". My response was to this statement
    Just think how pissed off the "clean eaters" are going to be 20 - 40 years from now (or whatever number gets them to the golden years) when they realize, it was all for nothing...

EDTA : Just to be clear where I stand w.r.t this thread. I don't think it was nice on OP's part to come to public forum and judge their friend's food diary to the world.

It was a made up situation actually. No friend has done that regularly. Sooo
  • bonnbunx36
    bonnbunx36 Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I kind of thought about this thread and am kind of becoming confused. I mean its obvious that fruits are better for you than cookies (ex), and if they both add to the same calories it wouldn't really matter what you ate if all you are trying do to lose weight. But if you are trying to become healthier then wouldn't you wanna eat fruits instead of the cookies? I mean, I ate a bunch of frosted flakes yesterday morning and I felt like garbage compared to when I ate oranges, apples, and other fruits. I mean I felt kind of sluggish and sugary. So.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    bonnbunx36 wrote: »
    I kind of thought about this thread and am kind of becoming confused. I mean its obvious that fruits are better for you than cookies (ex), and if they both add to the same calories it wouldn't really matter what you ate if all you are trying do to lose weight. But if you are trying to become healthier then wouldn't you wanna eat fruits instead of the cookies? I mean, I ate a bunch of frosted flakes yesterday morning and I felt like garbage compared to when I ate oranges, apples, and other fruits. I mean I felt kind of sluggish and sugary. So.

I feel better when I have a mixture of fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and dessert. I can and have gotten much healthier eating in moderation, without labeling my food good or bad. I've never felt sugary? Which is probably a good thing I would melt in the snow if I was.
  • bonnbunx36
    bonnbunx36 Posts: 28
    edited February 2015
    Options
    bonnbunx36 wrote: »

I feel better when I have a mixture of fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and dessert. I can and have gotten much healthier eating in moderation, without labeling my food good or bad. I've never felt sugary? Which is probably a good thing I would melt in the snow if I was.
    Sugary, icky, gross, can't think of good adjectives. I've always had trouble expressing myself. I didn't feel as fresh(?), good(?) when I ate snacks for breakfast instead of fruits.