I need clean eating motivation and friends!

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Femisfit wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Just think how pissed off the "clean eaters" are going to be 20 - 40 years from now (or whatever number gets them to the golden years) when they realize, it was all for nothing...

Actually you are wrong here. I'll explain why - once we leave certain foods from our diet we pretty much don't care about them.

I stopped eating ice cream when I was I think 14 - 15 years old. I would get severe chest congestion. The doc asked me to stop eating it for some time because they wanted to pin point the cause of these flares. Ice cream was the reason.

Anyway fast forward to 2015, I don't miss it one bit. It's been 28 years I haven't eaten ice cream.

I think most people would argue that giving up something for a medical reason isn't quite the same as giving up something because of the arbitrary "bad" label applied.

In any event, glad you figured out what the problem was!

Please refer to my response above. The question here is not about "bad food", "medical reasons", "clean whaatever". My response was to this statement
    Just think how pissed off the "clean eaters" are going to be 20 - 40 years from now (or whatever number gets them to the golden years) when they realize, it was all for nothing...

EDTA : Just to be clear where I stand w.r.t this thread. I don't think it was nice on OP's part to come to public forum and judge their friend's food diary to the world.

It was a made up situation actually. No friend has done that regularly. Sooo

So...you made this thread on false pretense. You made it all up. Eww! Now that's dirty (and not in a good way).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    bonnbunx36 wrote: »
    I kind of thought about this thread and am kind of becoming confused. I mean its obvious that fruits are better for you than cookies (ex), and if they both add to the same calories it wouldn't really matter what you ate if all you are trying do to lose weight. But if you are trying to become healthier then wouldn't you wanna eat fruits instead of the cookies? I mean, I ate a bunch of frosted flakes yesterday morning and I felt like garbage compared to when I ate oranges, apples, and other fruits. I mean I felt kind of sluggish and sugary. So.

I don't personally notice any difference in how I feel with or without cookies. I've eaten a diet that was mostly sugar and a diet that was mostly vegetables and felt the same. I choose to eat mostly whole foods with moderate treats because I believe it's better for health but just going by how I feel there's no difference for me.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Actually you are wrong here. I'll explain why - once we leave certain foods from our diet we pretty much don't care about them.

I stopped eating ice cream when I was I think 14 - 15 years old. I would get severe chest congestion. The doc asked me to stop eating it for some time because they wanted to pin point the cause of these flares. Ice cream was the reason.

Anyway fast forward to 2015, I don't miss it one bit. It's been 28 years I haven't eaten ice cream.

I think most people would argue that giving up something for a medical reason isn't quite the same as giving up something because of the arbitrary "bad" label applied.

Please refer to my response above. The question here is not about "bad food", "medical reasons", "clean whaatever". My response was to this statement

EDTA : Just to be clear where I stand w.r.t this thread. I don't think it was nice on OP's part to come to public forum and judge their friend's food diary to the world.

So basically your a liar and you were just trolling to start argument.

ETA: I don't believe you made it up. Just my 2 cents.
  • bonnbunx36
    Options
    bonnbunx36 wrote: »
    I kind of thought about this thread and am kind of becoming confused. I mean its obvious that fruits are better for you than cookies (ex), and if they both add to the same calories it wouldn't really matter what you ate if all you are trying do to lose weight. But if you are trying to become healthier then wouldn't you wanna eat fruits instead of the cookies? I mean, I ate a bunch of frosted flakes yesterday morning and I felt like garbage compared to when I ate oranges, apples, and other fruits. I mean I felt kind of sluggish and sugary. So.

I don't personally notice any difference in how I feel with or without cookies. I've eaten a diet that was mostly sugar and a diet that was mostly vegetables and felt the same. I choose to eat mostly whole foods with moderate treats because I believe it's better for health but just going by how I feel there's no difference for me.
    Well I guess everyone is different...maybe there is just something wrong with me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

You think OP started feeling a bit guilty whenever everyone pointed out how judgmental the cookie dough comment was? Nah... According to all the other WKs in here she was just looking for support and like minded individuals... Why would she need to backpedal now?!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I think most people would argue that giving up something for a medical reason isn't quite the same as giving up something because of the arbitrary "bad" label applied..

What!!!! After all this, pretty low hon. Next time just light a fire. B)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »

You think OP started feeling a bit guilty whenever everyone pointed out how judgmental the cookie dough comment was? Nah... According to all the other WKs in here she was just looking for support and like minded individuals... Why would she need to backpedal now?!

:laugh:

MFP PLOT TWIST!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    dumpster-garbage-fire-gif.gif

Too soon?
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The thing is, everyone's standard for food is not the same, and I think that's why people on both sides aren't going to understand. What someone may think of as being fine to eat someone else may consider "bad" to eat. I mean, there were a couple instances I had 70% dark chocolate at breakfast. It wasn't even that much (less than an ounce), but a couple people (not on MFP) that knew I ate that thought that I shouldn't be doing that at breakfast.

i guess you still don't get it..

food is not good or bad, so there is no need to assign a moralistic value to it.

food is just energy that fuels your body, period, end of story.

Trans fats are bad.

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to follow along with this thread... I really am. But...

giphy.gif
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    so you are saying that 100 calories of twinkies does not equal 100 calories of green beans?

This reminds me of the nutritionist who went on a Twinkies diet to lose 27 lbs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh Lordy...

My definition of clean might not be yours and vice versa.
    Personally I don't really care what other people eat, and I'm certainly not going argue back and forth trying to make someone see MY point. Been there done that, because if someone feels passionately about something and they're convinced they're doing the right thing, then no amount of brow beating is going to change anything....
    I'll make sure my backyard is perfect before dissecting and/or criticising someone else's :)
  • cutiepi3131
    Options
    I swear, this thread is proof that some of ya'll on mfp are bullies. SMH.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I ate a whole pint of pistachio gelato last night. I might have to make some Diabeetus Cups in a few weeks. I'll buy organic and natural items to make it and call them "Clean Diabeetus Cups"

family-guy-cookie-monster-smosh.gif

Funniest gif ever!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh Lordy...

My definition of clean might not be yours and vice versa.
    Personally I don't really care what other people eat, and I'm certainly not going argue back and forth trying to make someone see MY point. Been there done that, because if someone feels passionately about something and they're convinced they're doing the right thing, then no amount of brow beating is going to change anything....
    I'll make sure my backyard is perfect before dissecting and/or criticising someone else's :)

Well, this is how I feel, and it's one reason I'd never get on a high horse and start slamming how others eat. I'm sure we all fail to live up to our own standards sometimes and feeling embarrassed or bad about that usually is not what leads to productive change. Instead, focusing logically and non emotionally on whether we are meeting our goals helps more. Good and bad associated with food is IMO counterproductive, although I have ideas about what a healthful diet (for me) looks like and sometimes think I could do better.

But I also accept that my ideas about how to eat aren't necessarily the same as my friends, so I won't start telling them that white flour is inconsistent with a good diet (it's obviously not, although FOR ME I do better minimizing it (not eliminating)). Same with other things that I choose not to eat lots of but might work for someone else in the context of their diets.

Of course, the discussion of what makes for a healthful diet isn't really what's wrong with OP's post--she and I may well have similar ideas about that, although I do think if she's going to be critical of someone else's diet it SHOULD be fair game to go through her diary and see what she does that's not what I consider ideal. I wouldn't do that, though, since it's rude and unhelpful and none of my business, since she's an adult and can evaluate her diet herself. What was terrible about her post was that she basically slammed her friends. I would have felt bad and embarrassed and betrayed if I were one of her friends (and I think I normally eat pretty well).

I'd love to hear from those arguing otherwise why any of these points are wrong, but I don't actually expect a response.

(Also, I'm on a plane! Just had to say that.)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    dumpster-garbage-fire-gif.gif

Too soon?

Too late!!! page one, second response!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    The thing is, everyone's standard for food is not the same, and I think that's why people on both sides aren't going to understand. What someone may think of as being fine to eat someone else may consider "bad" to eat. I mean, there were a couple instances I had 70% dark chocolate at breakfast. It wasn't even that much (less than an ounce), but a couple people (not on MFP) that knew I ate that thought that I shouldn't be doing that at breakfast.

food is not good or bad, so there is no need to assign a moralistic value to it.

Trans fats are bad.

Correction, artificial trans fats are bad, natural occurring ones are not...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

Trans fats are bad.

Correction, artificial trans fats are bad, natural occurring ones are not...

what's the difference between artificial and natural? I thought trans fat was just trans fat, in any form.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    over 500 responses.

I should probably avoid this thread, right?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I would like you all to know that tonight I will have ice cream made with foie gras.

I'm very excited.