Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Here is a comparison between a supermarket apple pie and a homemade one.

SUPERMARKET APPLE PIE:
    FILLING: SLICED APPLES, CORN SYRUP, WATER, BROWN SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SPICE, SALT, CITRIC ACID, ASCORBIC ACID, PRESERVED WITH SODIUM BENZOATE.

CRUST: WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE SHORTENING (PALM OIL AND SOYBEAN OIL WITH MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES), WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: DEXTROSE, SALT, CITRUS FIBER, WHEY, BAKING SODA, BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR WITH MALTED BARLEY, PRESERVED WITH POTASSIUM SORBATE.

RANDOM HOMEMADE APPLE PIE

Ingredients
    for the pastry
    • 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
    • 50g icing sugar
    • sea salt
    • 1 lemon
    • 125g cold butter, plus extra for greasing
    • 1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic
    • a splash of milk

for the filling
    • 1 large Bramley cooking apple
    • 4 eating apples
    • 3 tablespoons Demerara or muscovado sugar
    • ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    • a handful of sultanas or raisins
    • ½ a lemon

You have to admit you can almost smell the homemade apple pie. The first one sounds horrible.

if I get an apple pie from the bakery is it bad/fake because processed????

No, you can tell that it's bad/fake because its ingredients are in ALL CAPS.

/science

The supermarket apple pie is a cut and paste job, nothing more, nothing less and the random apple pie is just that - random. I have never cooked an apple pie and don't intend to in the near future and if I did, I would have to search for a gluten free, low sugar recipe, give the raisins the flick, definitely look for one with cinnamon (Need2Exercise - your recipe sounds awesome) or failing all of that I would have to dig up poor old granny.
    Megatoine wrote: »
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Can i petition MFP users to be less sensitive about the way others describe food? And also let people have their opinions? 'Cause it's not that serious.

HALLELUJAH.

All this has done is left me craving apple pie. :D
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

SUPERMARKET APPLE PIE:
    FILLING: SLICED APPLES, CORN SYRUP, WATER, BROWN SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SPICE, SALT, CITRIC ACID, ASCORBIC ACID, PRESERVED WITH SODIUM BENZOATE.

CRUST: WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE SHORTENING (PALM OIL AND SOYBEAN OIL WITH MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES), WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: DEXTROSE, SALT, CITRUS FIBER, WHEY, BAKING SODA, BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR WITH MALTED BARLEY, PRESERVED WITH POTASSIUM SORBATE.

Ingredients
    for the pastry
    • 50g icing sugar
    • sea salt
    • 1 lemon
    • a splash of milk

for the filling
    • 4 eating apples
    • ½ a lemon

You have to admit you can almost smell the homemade apple pie. The first one sounds horrible.

/science

The supermarket apple pie is a cut and paste job, nothing more, nothing less and the random apple pie is just that - random. I have never cooked an apple pie and don't intend to in the near future and if I did, I would have to search for a gluten free, low sugar recipe, give the raisins the flick, definitely look for one with cinnamon (Need2Exercise - your recipe sounds awesome) or failing all of that I would have to dig up poor old granny.
    Can i petition MFP users to be less sensitive about the way others describe food? And also let people have their opinions? 'Cause it's not that serious.

HALLELUJAH.

Please don't argue with science.

:indifferent:
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    What?? the science that digging up granny will do me no good??
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

SUPERMARKET APPLE PIE:

Ingredients
    for the pastry
    • 50g icing sugar
    • sea salt
    • 1 lemon
    • a splash of milk

for the filling
    • 4 eating apples
    • ½ a lemon

Is your grandmother named RANDOM?!? Seems. . . . a little fishy.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

SUPERMARKET APPLE PIE:

Ingredients
    for the pastry
    • 50g icing sugar
    • sea salt
    • 1 lemon
    • a splash of milk

for the filling
    • 4 eating apples
    • ½ a lemon

/science

HALLELUJAH.

You still didn't say what makes the store pie "horrible" (your own words).
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    err...no.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    last time I checked I don't think paleolithic people were eating apple pie and donuts, so you are definitely not doing paleo.

Nice deflection on my question about processed foods...why are they "fake"? Does processing make them not real?

My nanna died close on 30 years ago. Just reminiscing. And the last time I ate a donut would be 10 years ago but I still remember the taste as I smell the donuts cooking at a donut shop. Even if I ate it, it would be a tiny percentage of my regular food.

A good bakery can produce an amazing apple pie. To me, my first example is fake.

400 calorie donut is a tiny percentage of your regular food. How much Paleoing are you doing?

• LeenaGee
    Options
    400 calorie donut eaten 10 years ago makes no difference to Paleo in any shape or form. lol
  • LeenaGee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Is your grandmother named RANDOM?!? Seems. . . . a little fishy.

My poor old granny is dead and her recipe died with her so I chose a RANDOM recipe of a homemade apple pie. Not rocket science that one.
    You still didn't say what makes the store pie "horrible" (your own words).

I will leave you to buy it and test it out and compare it to a homemade apple pie and then we will see who uses the word "horrible."

I don't eat wheat and only eat fresh ingredients where ever possible so I am not prepared to try it out and will rely on my memories of by gone years.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone needs a better bakery.
  • LeenaGee
    Options

OMG finding a good bakery is easy. We have some awesome bakeries here and the smell is enough to drive you nuts. But sadly, all use wheat and are not gluten free and I suffer badly if I eat it. Hence, the reason I follow a Paleo style diet. It suits me. :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People really shouldn't fight about apple pie. Apple pie is for happiness and love and the USA.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    I prefer "yummy" and "more yummy" to be honest.

• LeenaGee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    People really shouldn't fight about apple pie. Apple pie is for happiness and love and the USA.

Fight over the last slice, definitely but never about apple pie. I agree 99.9%, apple pie is for happiness and love and maybe the USA but certainly Aussie and as long as we have grannies, we will always have a great apple pie.

Don't we all stand now for the national anthem?.lol
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

OMG finding a good bakery is easy. We have some awesome bakeries here and the smell is enough to drive you nuts. But sadly, all use wheat and are not gluten free and I suffer badly if I eat it. Hence, the reason I follow a Paleo style diet. It suits me. :)

No gluten = Paleo?

12215635.jpg

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    Okay, granny aside, or Granny Smith apples, what type of apples are we using? And any old poor water like granny used?