Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I'm time poor at the moment as I have to get to work. Hooroo

dr-evil-right.gif
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thread sidetrack: not Paleolithic, but this is actually a photo of thousands of years old garlic! (I forget just how old now, from a site in Egypt from memory)

vgypeo6il6ul.jpg
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    There's a brewery in Delaware called Dogfish Head that works with a biomolecular archaeologist to recreate ancient beverages. They make things like Midas Touch (based on a recipe found in a Turkish tomb), Birra Etrusca (a 2800 year old Italian brew), and Kvasir (recreated from remnants found in a 3500 year old Danish drinking vessel). I know it's not Paleo old, but that's still pretty cool!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    People really shouldn't fight about apple pie. Apple pie is for happiness and love and the USA.

Are you saying that in the USA they make a better apple pie than in Australia?

Not, but I do think they're saying Australian Apple pie is less ideal.

Ahhh.

Oh yeah, thanks for accepting the friend request buddy!!

Where did your request go? I saw the notification on my phone, but when I checked my inbox, I didn't see anything! I thought you withdrew it over something I said!

No I wouldn't withdrawal a request even if you could. I very rarely send out requests and I also deny most. So it takes me a while to feel like I want to send someone a request. #bromance.

I thought you rejected it because I said I would send NDJ to shave your beard if you didn't accept.

Get a room you two...
    Will there be cupcakes?

Of *kitten* course!

How-to-Make-PEEPS-Chick-Surprise-Inside-Cupcakes_hero.jpg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    There's a brewery in Delaware called Dogfish Head that works with a biomolecular archaeologist to recreate ancient beverages. They make things like Midas Touch (based on a recipe found in a Turkish tomb), Birra Etrusca (a 2800 year old Italian brew), and Kvasir (recreated from remnants found in a 3500 year old Danish drinking vessel). I know it's not Paleo old, but that's still pretty cool!

I wholeheartedly approve!! And beer probably does date back to the late upper Paleolithic. May even have been a driving force in cereal domestication! Us and our love of mind-altering substances :). http://www.penn.museum/documents/publications/expedition/PDFs/28-2/Bread.pdf
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I think a simple changing of wording will make everyone happy and fit inside everyone's safety box...

I work in Community Nutrition for the WHO and we call it " more or less nutritionally beneficial ". If you say more or less ideal you tread the slippery slope of subjectivity, because I might not at all agree with you on what is more or less ideal, because I can't relate to the American diet at all, since I am not American, not do I live in the US.
    For me an " ideal " food is most likely something very different than for you. If you say " nutritionally beneficial " you are talking about something that can be scientifically assessed, while " ideal " is just nothing but personal opinion.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    I think a simple changing of wording will make everyone happy and fit inside everyone's safety box...

no, because there are arguably no bad foods. There are no less ideal foods.

If it were true that all food is equally " ideal ", why bother with micros & macros then ?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

dr-evil-right.gif

We're too busy with work to explore the connection between paleo and gluten when pressed on the subject, but not too busy to flag silly gifs. Got it.

nw.gif
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

dr-evil-right.gif

We're too busy with work to explore the connection between paleo and gluten when pressed on the subject, but not too busy to flag silly gifs. Got it.

nw.gif

Well, we are talking about the woman who ignored three tagged requests to explain to me how she'd run 90 day reports on someone else's diary, so...(I suspect she had worked out by then that she was in fact running reports on her own diary, and didn't want to admit that, especially since she'd used it to pan the other person's diet).
  • tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I wholeheartedly approve!! And beer probably does date back to the late upper Paleolithic. May even have been a driving force in cereal domestication! Us and our love of mind-altering substances :). http://www.penn.museum/documents/publications/expedition/PDFs/28-2/Bread.pdf

I believe I've seen multiple articles making the argument that the need for mass grain production to be used in brewing was a major contributor in the shift from nomadic hunting/gathering to farming settlements.

ETA: I love beer enough to change the course of human civilization, too, so the above makes sense to me!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I believe I've seen multiple articles making the argument that the need for mass grain production to be used in brewing was a major contributor in the shift from nomadic hunting/gathering to farming settlements.

ETA: I love beer enough to change the course of human civilization, too, so the above makes sense to me!

It actually makes a lot of sense! I wish I'd seen these articles when I was tutoring 1st year archaeology at uni, something the little dears could have related to!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thread sidetrack: not Paleolithic, but this is actually a photo of thousands of years old garlic! (I forget just how old now, from a site in Egypt from memory)

vgypeo6il6ul.jpg

It really held up well for being a thousand years old.

My garlic gets a little sprouty after a month or two and I have to throw it out...and I even keep it in a special garlic bag.

:wink:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Pretty impressive eh? That's what an arid environment does for preservation.

I'd suggest keeping yours on the window sill perhaps. Mine never sticks around long enough to get sprouty :p (but I just keep it in a bowl on my bench and it does fine).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Pretty impressive eh? That's what an arid environment does for preservation.

I'd suggest keeping yours on the window sill perhaps. Mine never sticks around long enough to get sprouty :p (but I just keep it in a bowl on my bench and it does fine).

But this reusable cloth bag says "garlic" on the side. How much more ideal...(chortle...*twitch*)...could it be???
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

dr-evil-right.gif

nw.gif

Well, we are talking about the woman who ignored three tagged requests to explain to me how she'd run 90 day reports on someone else's diary, so...(I suspect she had worked out by then that she was in fact running reports on her own diary, and didn't want to admit that, especially since she'd used it to pan the other person's diet).

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mamapeach, buy a good Paleo recipe book and you will understand. The food is awesome, fresh, vital and energising. Love it, love it, love it!!!

Tonight we are having roast lamb, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, parsnips, brussel sprouts with bacon & garlic with fresh herbs from the garden. All Paleo, all yummy. If you took the time to look, you would see Paleo is just wonderful home cooking at its best.

I eat fresh food, Leena. Didn't you print out my diary? My main meal is always home cooked. My other two meals are yogurt and cottage cheese with vegetables and fruit. Oh, so PROCESSED.... the horror. Quick, hand me some peeps so I can cleanse myself.

Look, I'm not some johnny come lately in this game. I've done paleo. And I've been scratch cooking since I was ten years old. The two things have NOTHING to do with each other.

Why you have it stuck inside your head that only paleo people use fresh ingredients and home cook is behind me.

I will never eat meat again. No thanks. Nothing against meat eaters, I cook meat for my husband. It's a choice for me because I don't like it.

• PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs a better bakery.

OMG finding a good bakery is easy. We have some awesome bakeries here and the smell is enough to drive you nuts. But sadly, all use wheat and are not gluten free and I suffer badly if I eat it. Hence, the reason I follow a Paleo style diet. It suits me. :)

No gluten = Paleo?

12215635.jpg

http://paleoleap.com/11-ways-gluten-and-wheat-can-damage-your-health/

I have celiac disease, Leena. I don't even want to click the link, given the title.

You missed my point.

Why does eliminating gluten mean you then HAVE to eat Paleo? That's a logic fail.

I don't eat gluten. I don't eat paleo.

A minor nit pick, but I'm feeling feisty.

Yeah, don't. It's so ridic I can't even be bothered countering it. But, most of those 'bad' things in grains (which are actually the plant's natural defense against being eaten) we learnt to deal with millennia ago through various processing techniques. Cos we're clever like that (necessity being the mother of invention and all).

Interesting factoid though: undomesticated wheat actually has less gluten than domesticated varieties. So can paleo diet followers eat that? Y'know, like actual Paleolithic people did?

I figured it was one of those links that people with borderline orthorexia came up with to demonize the latest boogeyman hiding under their collective bed... the ebil gluten. Does that about sum it up?

People with actual celiac disease just looooooove this shizz. /sarcasm off

• PeachyCarol
    edited March 2015
    Options

dr-evil-right.gif

nw.gif

True dat.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs a better bakery.

OMG finding a good bakery is easy. We have some awesome bakeries here and the smell is enough to drive you nuts. But sadly, all use wheat and are not gluten free and I suffer badly if I eat it. Hence, the reason I follow a Paleo style diet. It suits me. :)

No gluten = Paleo?

12215635.jpg

http://paleoleap.com/11-ways-gluten-and-wheat-can-damage-your-health/

I have celiac disease, Leena. I don't even want to click the link, given the title.

You missed my point.

Why does eliminating gluten mean you then HAVE to eat Paleo? That's a logic fail.

I don't eat gluten. I don't eat paleo.

A minor nit pick, but I'm feeling feisty.

Yeah, don't. It's so ridic I can't even be bothered countering it. But, most of those 'bad' things in grains (which are actually the plant's natural defense against being eaten) we learnt to deal with millennia ago through various processing techniques. Cos we're clever like that (necessity being the mother of invention and all).

Interesting factoid though: undomesticated wheat actually has less gluten than domesticated varieties. So can paleo diet followers eat that? Y'know, like actual Paleolithic people did?

I figured it was one of those links that people with borderline orthorexia came up with to demonize the latest boogeyman hiding under their collective bed... the ebil gluten. Does that about sum it up?

People with actual celiac disease just looooooove this shizz. /sarcasm off

Yep, pretty much.