What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »

Someone stated that ACV is good for wart removal. So you know for a fact that it does nothing for wart removal? Sounds strange to me, but I will never know because I don't get warts.

I haven't made any statements about ACV and wart removal. I don't know if it is true or untrue. But vinegar is strong enough to damage tooth enamel. The idea that it could remove a wart if applied to the skin consistently is a very different that the idea that vinegar, when consumed, will change your body chemistry enough to make you immune to viruses. Remember that our body is great at maintaining a pH range, while our skin is very good at responding to topical applications (even when we don't want it to).

If you don't see a difference between the likelihood of these two claims, maybe do some more reading.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Yeah, 'cause we love playground bullies here. Let's all join in and mock someone for making a typo! That's really constructive.

It is more constructive than telling people apple cider vinegar will end the HIV epidemic.

Where did anyone say that, exactly?

Exaggerate much?

You said drinking apple cider vinegar changed your body chemistry so that viruses could no longer survive.

Are you now doubting that the HIV virus is the cause of AIDS? Or are you saying that this works for some viruses and not others?

Nope, I said that I'd read somewhere ten years ago that apple cider vinegar was good for warding off colds, and as someone who suffered from numerous colds and strep throat several times a year, I'd tried it for myself and subsequently hadn't had a cold or strep throat for the past ten years. You then asked me what I thought the connection was, and (stupidly thinking you were actually interested – I'm fairly new here) I went to the trouble to look this up again, and found numerous articles from the alternative health community positing that drinking apple cider vinegar can have an effect on the alkalinity of the body and create an environment that is hostile to viruses. I stated repeatedly that I didn't have any opinion on the validity of this 'science', but all I could say was that it had worked for me. You then began bleating repeatedly about how I was claiming that apple cider vinegar can cure the AIDS epidemic. So, quite a huge leap there. One really must question what your motivation is for this kind of behaviour.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    The motivation is to show that what you're promoting is bunkum. And also what you're promoting was originated by a charlatan who was arrested and is on trial, or did that fact pass you by?
  • kodji67
    kodji67 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the thread yet, but I have seen amazing results using Braggs to cure warts! Completely painless and fast. Just pull the cotton off the end of a q-tip and soak it in the vinegar, then affix to the wart with a bandaid. Change once a day, and the wart just puffs up and lifts off and leaves nice clear skin behind. It's way better than over-the counter treatment. My brother had a huge wart on his heel that the doctor told him he would need surgery to remove, and using this method with a cotton ball and duct tape took it off (although it took a few weeks, but it was huge and nasty).

As far as diet? Nope. Just eat less and move more IMO.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    9 pages is a lot, but if I hadn't stuck with it, I would have missed the Edgar Cayce sighting (and citing). Thread of the year.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    9 pages is a lot, but if I hadn't stuck with it, I would have missed the Edgar Cayce sighting (and citing). Thread of the year.

And it's only April!

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Anyone with a shred of common sense will be able to sort the truth from the *kitten*. Not all newbies who come here looking for advice are stupid nitwits. They don't need saving from the MFP police :wink:

There are people in this thread saying that apple cider vinegar will make you immune to viruses. People acting on that misinformation could be actually dangerous.

Pseudoscience flourishes when people sit back and assume that people will figure it out for themselves or justify that it doesn't hurt them if people deny reality. But things like the recent measles outbreak show that it can hurt us and it can hurt innocent people.

I like this community because it is so science-based and there is so little tolerance for fantasies. I would hate to see that change.

Actually, you are flirting with ridiculous right now. The person claimed that ACV was good for colds, and created a hostile environment for viruses. This person never mentioned HIV; that has been on you. Do I believe ACV does anything to viruses within the body.....no. But you are definitely exaggerating all this with the HIV and measles stuff. Also, could you please show me where anyone stated it would make one immune to viruses. I don't remember seeing that.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Anyone with a shred of common sense will be able to sort the truth from the *kitten*. Not all newbies who come here looking for advice are stupid nitwits. They don't need saving from the MFP police :wink:

There are people in this thread saying that apple cider vinegar will make you immune to viruses. People acting on that misinformation could be actually dangerous.

Pseudoscience flourishes when people sit back and assume that people will figure it out for themselves or justify that it doesn't hurt them if people deny reality. But things like the recent measles outbreak show that it can hurt us and it can hurt innocent people.

I like this community because it is so science-based and there is so little tolerance for fantasies. I would hate to see that change.

Actually, you are flirting with ridiculous right now. The person claimed that ACV was good for colds, and created a hostile environment for viruses. This person never mentioned HIV; that has been on you. Do I believe ACV does anything to viruses within the body.....no. But you are definitely exaggerating all this with the HIV and measles stuff. Also, could you please show me where anyone stated it would make one immune to viruses. I don't remember seeing that.

Her exact words:

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive.
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar works for acid reflux although I don't know if there' s anything special about Bragg's particularly. Just make sure you get the one with the mother.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »
    Nope again, in fact you made up a silly statement about ACV curing AIDS and then you got all indignant and started accusing me of promoting this idea, when actually it originated from you

I thought sock-puppets violated the TOS

• Dnarules
    Options

Her exact words:

The apple cider vinegar alkalinizes the body and creates an environment where viruses can't survive.

But she was talking about colds. I never saw anything about HIV until you kept bringing it up. And I truly doubt anyone would read this thread and use ACV to counteract HIV or measles.

Also, on another note, this poster also mentioned strep throat, which is bacterial and NOT viral.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    The motivation is to show that what you're promoting is bunkum. And also what you're promoting was originated by a charlatan who was arrested and is on trial, or did that fact pass you by?

(Sigh) As I previously said.
    "I stated repeatedly that I didn't have any opinion on the validity of this 'science', but all I could say was that it had worked for me."
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Dnarules, the promoter of this whole acid/alkaline disease theory believes that cancer is due to a ph imbalance of the body and is on trial because of it.

The argument janey is making isn't far-fetched, it's taking the original statement to absurdity to show its fallacy.

Have you read the whole thread?
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Her exact words:

But she was talking about colds. I never saw anything about HIV until you kept bringing it up. And I truly doubt anyone would read this thread and use ACV to counteract HIV or measles.

Don't be so sure:

http://www.earthclinic.com/cures/hiv-treatment-aids-remedies.html

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Her exact words:

Also, on another note, this poster also mentioned strep throat, which is bacterial and NOT viral.

HIV is a virus. She said "it creates an environment where viruses can't survive". I don't see where this is not saying that ACV would work against HIV.
  • Dnarules
    Options
    Dnarules, the promoter of this whole acid/alkaline disease theory believes that cancer is due to a ph imbalance of the body and is on trial because of it.

The argument janey is making isn't far-fetched, it's taking the original statement to absurdity to show its fallacy.

Have you read the whole thread?

Yes, I've read it all. I do know these theories are woo.

But janey keeps coming in here saying others have said ACV will make one immune to HIV, and no one has said it but her. If you want to point out the fallacy in something, fine. But dont make it seem like someone said something they didnt say.

Are there some who might believe ACV would work against all viruses....probably somewhere I guess. And all this isn't going to change their minds. It rarely does.

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

Her exact words:

Don't be so sure:

Yes, it's getting completely ridiculous. In fact I didn't even "claim" that ACV created a hostile environment for viruses, that statement was actually concluded with the words "or so I've read". And the link above referring to HIV cures was never posted by me.

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

But janey keeps coming in here saying others have said ACV will make one immune to HIV, and no one has said it but her. If you want to point out the fallacy in something, fine. But dont make it seem like someone said something they didnt say.

Yep. Again, it makes one question the motivation behind it. Just someone wanting to stir things up, I expect.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

Her exact words:

Don't be so sure:

Yep, it's getting completely ridiculous. In fact I didn't even "claim" that ACV created a hostile environment for viruses, that statement was actually concluded with the words "or so I've read". And the link above referring to HIV cures was never posted by me.

Here's how it works:

You claim that ACV and the whole acid/alkaline balance thing creates a hostile environment for illness in the body.

You came in with guns blazing on the issue, ready to skool all of us, and even told all of us to enjoy our colds.

Colds are caused by viruses.

HIV is a virus.

Well, if all of this "works" for a cold, why not HIV?

Stand by the miracle you're touting, or admit it's bunkum. (Or say nothing, drink more vinegar, talk a walk around the block, whatever... )

Your choice.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I stated repeatedly that I didn't have any opinion on the validity of this 'science', but all I could say was that it had worked for me. You then began bleating repeatedly about how I was claiming that apple cider vinegar can cure the AIDS epidemic. So, quite a huge leap there. One really must question what your motivation is for this kind of behaviour.

I don't like pseudoscience.

If you don't believe that ACV can make humans immune to viruses, then it shouldn't bother you when people ridicule that "science." But if you don't believe it, then maybe you shouldn't use "sources" saying that to support your claim that ACR has made you immune to a virus.