What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    There's no conclusive study showing it actually works on reducing appetite on a metabolic level.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    There's no conclusive study showing it actually works on reducing appetite on a metabolic level.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apple cider vinegar reduces my appetite. The smell alone.

I hate vinegar.

So there. Who needs science, I have personal experience to back my claims!

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Nope. She was asked to answer a question to illustrate the fallacy of what she was posting when the comparison was first drawn.

The more she ignored the question and persisted in posting links, the further away the discussion got.

This was all about showing the fallacy of the post on the first page.

You're referring to your question about why Bragg's don't send shiploads of cider vinegar to Africa to fight the HIV epidemic? Yes I ignored that question, because it was absurd and didn't deserve a response.

The links I was posting were in reply to another question, about why acid foods are alkaline forming in the body.

And my post on the first page was the one where I said I hadn't had any colds, etc, and there is no "fallacy" in that because it is true.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Nope. She was asked to answer a question to illustrate the fallacy of what she was posting when the comparison was first drawn.

The more she ignored the question and persisted in posting links, the further away the discussion got.

You're referring to your question about why Bragg's don't send shiploads of cider vinegar to Africa to fight the HIV epidemic? Yes I ignored that question, because it was absurd and didn't deserve a response.

The links I was posting were in reply to another question, about why acid foods are alkaline forming in the body.

And my post on the first page was the one where I said I hadn't had any colds, etc, and there is no "fallacy" in that because it is true.

No, it wasn't my question.

You posted about the body environment and viruses. That was the fallacy.

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

If you're not a proponent of that theory, why did you post links supporting it to back your arguments?

Well you see, I wasn't actually aware I was engaged in an "argument"; I thought this forum was a place for dialogue and exchange of ideas (silly me, I've learned better). The links were posted with that in mind, in response to various questions that were fired at me (or those that I could discern amongst the barrage of derisory comments, "funny" animated pictures and personal remarks about my preference for manuka honey, which apparently was thought to be relevant to this thread somehow)...

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apple cider vinegar reduces my appetite. The smell alone.

I hate vinegar.

So there. Who needs science, I have personal experience to back my claims!
    On a nausea level..............okay it works.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Chrysalid2014
    Options

So what was your question then?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I see this thread has ventured off into never never land....
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Which begs the question....Will Fairy Dust cure my rosacea?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Apparently only if it is made from vinegar...
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Apparently only if it is made from vinegar...

This thread is well beyond never never land....

About your rosacea, funny you should mention it, but.... (see link below, "remedy 2").

And yes, before anyone starts sharpening their knives, I am joking. But then again, who knows, maybe it's worth a try! As someone pointed out earlier, the worst it can do to you is nothing.

http://www.life-saving-naturalcures-and-naturalremedies.com/rosacea-natural-remedy.html
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

If you're not a proponent of that theory, why did you post links supporting it to back your arguments?

Well you see, I wasn't actually aware I was engaged in an "argument"; I thought this forum was a place for dialogue and exchange of ideas (silly me, I've learned better). The links were posted with that in mind, in response to various questions that were fired at me (or those that I could discern amongst the barrage of derisory comments, "funny" animated pictures and personal remarks about my preference for manuka honey, which apparently was thought to be relevant to this thread somehow)...

Really? Page 2
    Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

For not being aware that you were engaged in an argument, you were sure argumentative, right out of the gate.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

So what was your question then?

My questions were about how foods affected the ph balance of the bloodstream and how their ph balance survived the digestive process. I also questioned how food bypassed the function the kidneys have to regulate blood ph.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Somewhere... over the Woobicon.

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Really? Page 2
    Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

For not being aware that you were engaged in an argument, you were sure argumentative, right out of the gate.

Hands up, I did adopt a somewhat frosty tone at that point in response to that particular poster's comment/question, as I took exception to his completely unfounded accusation that I'd made up the anecdote about not having any colds etc.
    I also read from his post that he wasn't actually going to have anything productive to contribute to the discussion (hence my final comment), and as it turned out I was correct.

• Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options

My questions were about how foods affected the ph balance of the bloodstream and how their ph balance survived the digestive process. I also questioned how food bypassed the function the kidneys have to regulate blood ph.

The short answer is: I don't know.

However, various sources (such as this one) indicate that there is at least some connection between what is ingested and the blood ph (see for example references to alcohol and low-carb/high fat diets, and sodium bicarbonate): http://www.healthline.com/health/acidosis#CausesandRisks2

This particular reference is saying that the substances indicated have some effect on the blood ph, so it seems logical to me that other substances might also do so.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

The short answer is: I don't know.

However, various sources (such as this one) indicate that there is at least some connection between what is ingested and the blood ph (see for example references to alcohol and low-carb/high fat diets, and sodium bicarbonate): http://www.healthline.com/health/acidosis#CausesandRisks2

This particular reference is saying that the substances indicated have some effect on the blood ph, so it seems logical to me that other substances might also do so.

That sort of doesn't address the whole acid/alkaline theory, though it does address my question.

It does show how food can affect blood ph that is skewed out of a healthy range and help the body rebalance itself.

It doesn't show how food can bypass kidney function and change the ph balance of the body to be more alkaline.

That's where I was going with all of this, because that's the underpinning of the whole "ph balance as disease cure" theory.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm still trying to understand why people are comparing the common cold to HIV..... :huh: Ummm apples and oranges.
    Anyone who actually believes this to be true...... I have no words :frowning:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    reductio-ad-absurdum.gif
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    reductio-ad-absurdum.gif

Well said Miss :)