What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    reductio-ad-absurdum.gif

Well said Miss :)

No, you missed the point I think. Taking an argument to an extreme conclusion to show that it's wrong is a common debating tactic. That's where the whole HIV issue came in. No one was comparing colds and HIV as anything more than being two examples of a virus. That person was showing how ridiculous it is to say that ACV can make the body chemistry hostile to viruses.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    No, i get what it meant. I didn't articulate it well, obviously. Nothing i say on here comes across as i mean it! :tongue:
  • RickDube64
    RickDube64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started using Bragg's about a year and a half ago because I had high blood pressure and I read it was supposed to help. Well, my pressure was so high, that I had to see a doctor and get put on two blood pressure medications so I don't know if it helped. My triglycerides at the time were 463 and I was put on a statin drug to lower that. I didn't stop using the Bragg's however because I liked it. I put 5 tablespoons in my gallon jug of water and drink it throughout the day. Since then, my blood pressure has been controlled to the point I am off of one medication, and will be talking to my doctor about getting off the other. My triglycerides went down to 83 and have been taken off of the statin drug, and I was told that was amazing for one year even on the medication. I used to have heartburn every day, and would eat Tums like they were a snack food. I haven't had heartburn in a long time now, and can't remember the last time I bought a bottle of Tums. One other interesting thing is my aches and pains from having had 21 broken bones have literally been cut in half. So needless to say, I love Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, it's been doing a lot for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    And since HIV and the cold virus are so very different, I would not just make the leap that they believe it was true for all viruses, like you did over and over.

I am not condoning its use as a cold remedy, nor do I believe any of the alkaline/acid bull. But I still think you overreached with HIV stuff.

So when someone writes that ACR creates an environment where viruses can't survive, I read that as "viruses." And you read it as "some viruses."

I don't think I am at fault for responding to what she actually wrote.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You're referring to your question about why Bragg's don't send shiploads of cider vinegar to Africa to fight the HIV epidemic? Yes I ignored that question, because it was absurd and didn't deserve a response.

If ACR creates an environment in the body where viruses cannot survive (as you posted), why was the HIV example absurd? You say you know from personal experience that it has made you immune to cold viruses.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RickDube64 wrote: »
    I started using Bragg's about a year and a half ago because I had high blood pressure and I read it was supposed to help. Well, my pressure was so high, that I had to see a doctor and get put on two blood pressure medications so I don't know if it helped. My triglycerides at the time were 463 and I was put on a statin drug to lower that. I didn't stop using the Bragg's however because I liked it. I put 5 tablespoons in my gallon jug of water and drink it throughout the day. Since then, my blood pressure has been controlled to the point I am off of one medication, and will be talking to my doctor about getting off the other. My triglycerides went down to 83 and have been taken off of the statin drug, and I was told that was amazing for one year even on the medication. I used to have heartburn every day, and would eat Tums like they were a snack food. I haven't had heartburn in a long time now, and can't remember the last time I bought a bottle of Tums. One other interesting thing is my aches and pains from having had 21 broken bones have literally been cut in half. So needless to say, I love Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, it's been doing a lot for me.

That's great! Just out of curiousity... if you can remember, when was the last time you had a cold?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Let me guess, you also lost some weight and exercise regularly.
    Oh yeah, weight loss /exercise improves BP, triglycerides, reflux and bone pressure sensation. Lol, at the vinegar made me healthy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I read thoroughly into apple cider vinegar back when I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. It's not the cure-them-all magic some tout it to be, but it has some merit (actually, this applies to any vinegar, not just apple cider - nothing special about apple cider). Here is my take:

- The literature is not too strong for the metabolic benefits. There was a small loss in 12 weeks, followed by a regain. In that sense, it's useless.
    - It appears to have a good effect in terms of modifying glycemic response, it basically slows down and stretches out the time it takes to absorb carbs and helps mellow out glucose spikes after intake. In that sense, type 2 diabetics could benefit from having a salad dressed with vinegar if they are consuming more carbs than usual in that meal.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Let me guess, you also lost some weight and exercise regularly.
    Oh yeah, weight loss /exercise improves BP, triglycerides, reflux and bone pressure sensation. Lol, at the vinegar made me healthy.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why it's important to challenge woo. People who believe in pseudoscientific nonsense often forgo real medical treatment (fortunately this poster didn't).

What's the harm?

368,379 people killed, 306,096 injured and over $2,815,931,000 in economic damages

http://whatstheharm.net/

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee and did not get the flu this year; hence, coffee prevents the flu