What are your thoughts on braggs Apple cider vinegar?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @mamapeach910, the cure for everything, huh?

I guess in the quack business you either dream big or go home.
  • dbeasley25
    dbeasley25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux and have trouble digesting certain foods. Drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in about 12 oz. of water before each meal has cured my problems, without needing to take medication.

For all of you who are skeptical, my gastroenterologist is the one who recommended this treatment. As a side bonus, I've noticed that it really cuts down on my appetite! It's been a big part of my weight loss plan.

Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but for those of us with specific problems it can really help!!!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Yes, I've read it all. I do know these theories are woo.

But janey keeps coming in here saying others have said ACV will make one immune to HIV, and no one has said it but her. If you want to point out the fallacy in something, fine. But dont make it seem like someone said something they didnt say.

So you're are saying someone could believe that ACV will create an environment where viruses can't survive (what the poster stated), but also believe that some viruses would be able to survive there?

That doesn't make sense. The two contradict each other. If you state that ACV will change your body chemistry to make it so that viruses can't survive, you are making a statement about HIV (and measles). Now when faced with that absurdity, you may back down (or, like here, you may claim you never meant it and we're just presenting the views of others). But your reading makes no sense. Of course she was talking about HIV. She just probably didn't realize it until it was pointed out.

The way I read this person's post, they said they used it and hadn't had a cold in 10 years. When asked about this, they said they had read that it creates an environment hostile to viruses. Meaning, in my mind, the cold virus. I didn't take it that they were talking about all viruses. And since HIV and the cold virus are so very different, I would not just make the leap that they believe it was true for all viruses, like you did over and over.

I am not condoning its use as a cold remedy, nor do I believe any of the alkaline/acid bull. But I still think you overreached with HIV stuff.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem, in a nutshell. There's nothing wrong if you want to drink vinegar for kicks and giggles.

But the claims in this thread went beyond that, and OP coming in here and acting like she didn't make any claims now is ludicrous.

MAJOR backpedaling going on now. We were lectured and talked down to on the whole acid/alkaline theory of disease now. It's disingenuous to play the little victim who simply wanted to sip a Braggs cocktail and go about her life.

Here's some of the meat of the real issues being argued against, as a graphic, for those who won't read links. This is the kind of thinking that comes with the whole acid alkaline theory of disease:

ROYAcidCure.jpg

OP might not think this or be aware of how far down into crazy town the theory goes, but this is indeed what one of the leading proponents of the "ph miracle" touts.

Drink your vinegar, I really don't care. Just don't claim it does anything for an illness that's not in your digestive tract.

How would drinking acid make your body's ph less acidic anyway?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

The way I read this person's post, they said they used it and hadn't had a cold in 10 years. When asked about this, they said they had read that it creates an environment hostile to viruses. Meaning, in my mind, the cold virus. I didn't take it that they were talking about all viruses. And since HIV and the cold virus are so very different, I would not just make the leap that they believe it was true for all viruses, like you did over and over.

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Don't know why this seems to be so difficult for some people to understand. Unless they just like to argue...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Okay ... at the risk of sending this 'discussion' into a tailspin, I'd like to throw a screw into it anyway ... WHAT IF the theory that HIV is a manmade 'virus' is true? Would that not make it possible for a natural product to assist in one and not the other?

I know, I'm a brat (I am a 'what if', 'who knows for sure', 'opposites can be true simultaneously' kind of person). Please please don't jump on me.

The moon landing wasn't real. Elvis is alive, and there's not enough tin foil on the planet to respond to this post.

The president is also a Martian...or so the visitors tell me
  • stevencloser
    Options

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Don't know why this seems to be so difficult for some people to understand. Unless they just like to argue...
    "an environment hostile to viruses" doesn't mean "an environment hostile to this one virus", not even to mention that the flu isn't just 1 virus to begin with.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem, in a nutshell. There's nothing wrong if you want to drink vinegar for kicks and giggles.

But the claims in this thread went beyond that, and OP coming in here and acting like she didn't make any claims now is ludicrous.

MAJOR backpedaling going on now. We were lectured and talked down to on the whole acid/alkaline theory of disease now. It's disingenuous to play the little victim who simply wanted to sip a Braggs cocktail and go about her life.

Here's some of the meat of the real issues being argued against, as a graphic, for those who won't read links. This is the kind of thinking that comes with the whole acid alkaline theory of disease:

ROYAcidCure.jpg

OP might not think this or be aware of how far down into crazy town the theory goes, but this is indeed what one of the leading proponents of the "ph miracle" touts.

Drink your vinegar, I really don't care. Just don't claim it does anything for an illness that's not in your digestive tract.

How would drinking acid make your body's ph less acidic anyway?

The theory goes that it's the residue the food leaves behind. She posted that earlier in the thread. Like lemon juice... acidic... leaves behind a base residue. MAJICK! And then that base somehow escapes your digestive tract and changes your blood ph or something? And then that ph kills cold viruses?

People believe this.

• trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    9 pages is a lot, but if I hadn't stuck with it, I would have missed the Edgar Cayce sighting (and citing). Thread of the year.

rwupvcgdbbxl.gif

I knew you would thank me. It's written in the stars.

• Dnarules
    Options

"an environment hostile to viruses" doesn't mean "an environment hostile to this one virus", not even to mention that the flu isn't just 1 virus to begin with.

But it did if you took it in context with the entire post. And the cold virus is not just one virus either, BTW. But at least they are all respiratory. I thought it was silly to make the leap to HIV. Silly, and exaggerated.

Listen, I don't use ACV, nor do I believe it has any impact on viruses at all. I just think some of the statements were becoming absurd. I think the vast majority of us can come in here and read this person's post and not all of a sudden believe we don't need to use condoms or get a measles vaccine. I think that is what irks me the most.

• stevencloser
    Options

But it did if you took it in context with the entire post. And the cold virus is not just one virus either, BTW. But at least they are all respiratory. I thought it was silly to make the leap to HIV. Silly, and exaggerated.

Listen, I don't use ACV, nor do I believe it has any impact on viruses at all. I just think some of the statements were becoming absurd. I think the vast majority of us can come in here and read this person's post and not all of a sudden believe we don't need to use condoms or get a measles vaccine. I think that is what irks me the most.
    It's neither silly nor exaggerated since as was shown, proponents of this thing actually believe that it's good against HIV and whatever other viruses, and was literally called "a cure for everything" by one of them.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

It's neither silly nor exaggerated since as was shown, proponents of this thing actually believe that it's good against HIV and whatever other viruses, and was literally called "a cure for everything" by one of them.

It is both silly and exaggerated, and just stirring up argument for argument's sake. I think it's quite clear from my very first comments on this thread that I am not a 'proponent' of the acid/alkaline theory of disease; what I said was that reading something about it had prompted me to try ACV for colds, and that since trying it I hadn't had any colds.

• stevencloser
    Options

It is both silly and exaggerated, and just stirring up argument for argument's sake. I think it's quite clear from my very first comments on this thread that I am not a 'proponent' of the acid/alkaline theory of disease; what I said was that reading something about it had prompted me to try ACV for colds, and that since trying it I hadn't had any colds.
    So you read from sources, the same sources seriously claiming that it's good against HIV, and that made you decide to use it for colds.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

If you're not a proponent of that theory, why did you post links supporting it to back your arguments?

• Dnarules
    Options

But not in this thread. No one said that in here, except those of you trying to protect the rest of us from our own stupidity. Again, you can point out idiocy and fallacies. But another poster was being dragged through the mud for something she did not say.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

But not in this thread. No one said that in here, except those of you trying to protect the rest of us from our own stupidity. Again, you can point out idiocy and fallacies. But another poster was being dragged through the mud for something she did not say.

Nope. She was asked to answer a question to illustrate the fallacy of what she was posting when the comparison was first drawn.

The more she ignored the question and persisted in posting links, the further away the discussion got.

This was all about showing the fallacy of the post on the first page.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    It's great and there are all kinds of health benefits. I drink a vinegar cocktail made of 1tbsp vinegar in a tall glass of cold water AM and PM (or I skip the PM cocktail if I'm having a salad for dinner as I'll use 2-3tbsp of vinegar on the salad instead). I started doing this ten years ago and haven't had a single cold since. It's also a great palate cleanser and I quickly got used to the taste.

LOL no

EVEN IF there was a shred of truth to this...how in the world do you think you're making your body more alkaline by drinking a strong acid??

Here's an alkaline 101 primer for you: "Note that a food's acid or alkaline forming tendency in the body has nothing to do with the actual pH of the food itself. For example, lemons are very acidic, however the end products they produce after digestion and assimilation are very alkaline so, lemons are alkaline forming in the body. Likewise, meat will test alkaline before digestion, but it leaves very acidic residue in the body so, like nearly all animal products, meat is very acid forming."

Now why don't you limit yourself to comments on subjects you actually know something about?

Okay, now I'm in.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I like cake.
  • Dnarules
    Options

Nope. She was asked to answer a question to illustrate the fallacy of what she was posting when the comparison was first drawn.

The more she ignored the question and persisted in posting links, the further away the discussion got.

This was all about showing the fallacy of the post on the first page.

Like you stated earlier, I don't give a rat's behind if people drink this stuff or not. I also had no problem with everyone pointing out the bad links, and questioning the reasoning behind it. It was the jump to HIV/measles that got me. I thought it was an unfair leap, and I still do. But I won't derail any more.