I'm mearly a beggar...

Options
Hello this is king of an introduction/Weightloss help. I'm literally on my knees begging for help. I don't know what to do. I started college two years ago. I entered in at a very good weight. 148-150. For 5'4 that was a perfect weight for me. I use to wear size 4 in pants. Size S-M in tops and dresses. I was at the perfect figure. As time passes I became stress from a mixture of school and family. Of course I turn to food. It's always been my comfort. And because of that I didn't just gain the freshman 15 I gained the freshman 30. I also suffered from depression. But I no longer suffer from this. But this weight has been triggering me to become depressed again. I don't know what to do. I began my journey in early February. To get healthy. Inspired by Fathead (the movie) (bad idea) I decided to go paleo. So I didn't eat any carbs at all. I promise. Instead I ate meat and vegetables. These in moderate sizes. I promise. I worked out 3x a week. Cardio and strength training. At the end of two months I only lost 12 pounds. You can imagine my frustration. While others at least lose 20-30 pounds in eight weeks I only lost eight. I figure it was because of all that saturated fat I ate. I ate bacon and eggs every morning. Also it wasn't a sustainable diet. Because I like to eat carbs. So since this is a lifestyle change. Lifetime change. I need to stick with something sustainable. So I introduced carbs back into my diet. And since March 31st I've been eating 1000 calories a day. Exercising 2 hours a day for 5-6 days. Alternating between cardio and strength training. On my strength training days. I do 30 repetitions of Maybe 12 pieces of equipment at the gym. It might take me 1-2 hours to finish. Those days it's not about longevity more so the reps. I don't take lots of breaks in between. And as a result Im saying this two weeks after. Today is the 18th. I haven't lost one pound. I see myself getting leaner and toner. But I haven't lost any weight at all. I thought for sure if anything two hours of cardio. Would at least get me 10 pounds lighter. I know I'm not making any sense and I'm going to need futher clarification. Which I will provide to anyone anyone willing to help me. I started early and I haven't gotten any results. I really wanted to be 150 for summer. But I'll even take 160 so long as I can get back down eventually. I have a month till school ends. I'd really like to lose twenty pounds. So I'm begging. Please! Help me. Please!

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Two things: 1000 calories per day is super low and not enough to fuel 2 hours of workouts 5-6 days per week. Second, you said you see yourself getting leaner. Isn't that the goal?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The questions are going to be: are you weighing and logging all of your food? And can you open your diary?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    "At the end of two months I only lost 12 pounds. You can imagine my frustration." ????

Eat enough to fuel your body properly, 1000/day too low, workouts are great, but you need to eat enough to fuel those workouts. Be patient and keep educating yourself and you'll find your balance.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    OK, re-reading, yes you're not making any sense. 12 pounds in two months is fine, not sure why you're frustrated by that. This new thing you only started on March 31, so a couple of weeks. You started eating carbs again and started doing a lot of exercise, you're probably retaining some water. But no, you absolutely should not have counted on losing 10 pounds by now. And you can't lose 20 pounds by school's end.

You need to set a reasonable calorie goal, 1000 is far too low, and then log all of your food accurately, best done by weighing everything with a food scale. And then accept that a pound of week is considered a good rate of loss.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    stephaniechukwu31 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I care more about the weight on the scale. Sorry I'm superficial. I don't like the idea of being 180 that's too high. It doesn't matter if I'm gaining muscle if there are still fat deposits around them. And I refuse to buy clothes that fit this body I have now. I want to get back to fitting in my old clothes. I also understand the calories in calories out idea. That's why I only ate 1000 calories. No matter what I've always had a deficit. Which I thought was the goal. What do you guys suggest. Also the reason I upset about losing 12 pounds. Is because everyone else on Pälëö or Atkins have lost way more than that. Even people on regular diets lose more than I did. I still think it was a failure. Even though I'm 12 pounds lighter sure. But I thought even atleast 20 would have been a win. They say you can lose 2 pounds a week safely. So atleast I should of lost 16. At least.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    Yes I was logging my food. It was the only way I could keep track of calories. I'll be honest sometime I had a few more cheat days like 3 in a week sometimes. But that was in the beginning. Now I'm more strict. I do take breaks on Sunday's. In which I indulge in whatever I want and in excess. I just learned recently that if I'm going to have cheat days. I shouldn't exceed 3500 or even 3000 because that will undo all the hard work I did throughout the week.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I would kill to be able to lose 12 pounds in 2 months.

Just keep working at it and you will eventually get to where you want to be.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    I will lose 20 pounds by school ends. If you don't want to help that's fine. And I accept your criticism. But I'm looking for advice on how to do this.

I don't think I'm drinking enough water. I got my blood work done. After my first attempt at losing weight. Everything was fine expect my cholesterol and I'm dehydrated. Every workout I sit in the sauna for 20 mins. Of course I drink water during and after. But I don't think I drink enough water throughout the day. My mouth is always dry.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    I'd also like to add that I've been burning on average 800-1000 calories every cardio day. Which is 3x a week. I don't know how much I burn on strength training days.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I care more about the weight on the scale. Sorry I'm superficial. I don't like the idea of being 180 that's too high. It doesn't matter if I'm gaining muscle if there are still fat deposits around them. And I refuse to buy clothes that fit this body I have now. I want to get back to fitting in my old clothes. I also understand the calories in calories out idea. That's why I only ate 1000 calories. No matter what I've always had a deficit. Which I thought was the goal. What do you guys suggest. Also the reason I upset about losing 12 pounds. Is because everyone else on Pälëö or Atkins have lost way more than that. Even people on regular diets lose more than I did. I still think it was a failure. Even though I'm 12 pounds lighter sure. But I thought even atleast 20 would have been a win. They say you can lose 2 pounds a week safely. So atleast I should of lost 16. At least.

Weight loss is not linear. Obsessing about what other people may or may not be doing is the unhappy road to stress and self loathing (stress inhibits weight loss, by the way).

• lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you are in fact burning 800-1000 calories and taking in 1000 how do you think your body feels? Being forced to function at 0-200 calories a day...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No they have not.

You have false expectations based on what you think other people are seeing.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You're worried too much about the kinds of foods you are eating. Unless you have health or self-control issues with certain kinds of foods, you should not worry about eating bacon, eggs, or carbohydrates. You may want to reduce your carbohydrate intake somewhat simply because carb foods are often calorie-dense. But there are non-carb foods that are also calorie dense.

In the end, it comes down to calories in, calories out.

You need to log your food, and you need to log it accurately.

Exercise is great for your health. But unless you are doing a lot of exercise, most of your calorie deficit is going to come from eating less, not exercise. I'm not saying don't exercise, I'm just saying don't kill yourself exercising because the caloric bang for your buck isn't there, generally. You can ride the exercise bike for an hour and burn maybe 250 calories. It's far easier to simply not eat 250 calories.

Losing 12 pounds in 2 months is incredible. That's over 2 pounds a week, which is generally regarded as the maximum safe limit for sustainable weight loss.

There is no need to be eating only 1000 calories a day, especially with the exercise regimen you are following. It would mean you are netting 700 calories or less a day.

It also does not seem plausible that after 2 weeks of that kind of caloric load that you would lose no weight at all. What is your current weight and height?
  • stephaniechukwu31
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's not an obsession more so a standard. I thought by an allotted time. Two months I would at least lose 20 pounds. I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with shooting high. And it's a reasonable amount of time to lose weight. And I'm aware stress deters Weightloss. That's why I fought my depression. But not making any progress is very disheartening.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I will lose 20 pounds by school ends. If you don't want to help that's fine. And I accept your criticism. But I'm looking for advice on how to do this.

I don't think I'm drinking enough water. I got my blood work done. After my first attempt at losing weight. Everything was fine expect my cholesterol and I'm dehydrated. Every workout I sit in the sauna for 20 mins. Of course I drink water during and after. But I don't think I drink enough water throughout the day. My mouth is always dry.

Good luck be safe...not sure your going to get your answer on this forum. It appears quite dangerous imo. The sauna will get rid of water weight temporarily, but you say your dehydrated, so that sounds even more unsafe as well as very temporary. Anyway Op be safe and I wish you well.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can lose it. It isn't healthy to do it thaT quick and you won't get any advice to help you eat only 1000 cals because unless you are under drs care and orders it is too little for anyone. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else. You have to do this for the right reasons not because you want to be like everyone else. Doing the amount of exercise you are doing and eating that little cals you are going to burn your body out and probably cause damage. Losing muscles along with fat. Up your cals to what mfp suggest. Then see what happens
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Also, water weight fluctuations will impact weight loss and distort/mask what is happening re fat loss. You say your clothes are fitting better - then that's your indication of progress
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's not an obsession more so a standard. I thought by an allotted time. Two months I would at least lose 20 pounds. I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with shooting high. And it's a reasonable amount of time to lose weight.

Correct. Two months is a reasonable amount of time to lose weight, and you did. 12 pounds, which is more than the average person loses in two months.

I'm afraid the advice you will get here will not be what you want to hear.

• uvi5
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Also, water weight fluctuations will impact weight loss and distort/mask what is happening re fat loss. You say your clothes are fitting better - then that's your indication of progress
    ^Yup