I'm mearly a beggar...

Options

Replies

• stephaniechukwu31
    stephaniechukwu31 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know. It was just an example of overweight people losing weight rapidly. I'm overweight as well. But I just said I wouldn't eat 1000 calories anymore. I'm going to be eating 1800. So I'm not starving myself.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    I didn't ignore it. I've thanked Sara many times. I have thanked others as well. But I have free will and do what I like. I took most of her advice. I like how wound up you are over absolutely nothing. Your comments are the ones I actually will ignore. TL;DR
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You're not going to lose 20 pounds in a month at your weight, especially since you've already been losing and have probably lost your water weight.

Edited to add: It's much better to manage your own expectations rather than be disappointed in a month. Your 12 pound loss should be celebrated. Another 4 in a month would be awesome.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    I appreciate the sentiment. But how do you know I won't lose 20 pounds in a month? Now that I'm doing it right. I was doing it wrong the first two times. But now I'm doing it the right way.

Also even if it's water weight that would just be clams. Why because at least my muscles will be more visible and defined. I'll look even leaner than before. Plus I'm superficial the numbers on the scale matter to me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    uvi5 wrote: »
    Mmm. To all those asking. I went from 189 to 177. Now I'm 180. I didn't log it into MFP. I thought I was losing more weight than I actually did. And this is kind of a stupid reason. The weight scale at my gym I read it wrong. So that's why I logged it in incorrectly and thought I loss more than I actually did.

To those who have their panties in a wad. I can accept opinions but I will glady reject and ignore those who came here miserable and wanted to include negativism.

Thank you Sara.and everyone else who helped.

Also. I still don't understand the calorie. The 1800 doesn't include exercise so that means if I exercise I'll have to eat half of that back?

I still can't get my ticker to show the 9 lbs I lost since Feb 16th. It still says 0 lbs lost, blah, but I know it's gone :). I'm also not going to weigh again till next month. As for the 1800/day, are you set at "sedentary" or did you add an activity level? Mine is "sedentary", i'm 5, 5", but also 47 y/o and I get 1420 for 0.5 Lbs down a week. Stay positive and keep reading and learning. You will figure out what works for you. I've been at it for 2 months and have learned so much, but I still am learning. MFP has been a fantastic motivator :smiley:

Hey. Try CyberTone's post in this link, please. It may help

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10065561/on-my-phone-the-mfp-app-doesnt-show-my-whole-weight-i-lost
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    If I was at a healthy weight. Then my expectations and goals would be unreasonable. But again I'm overweight.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the sentiment. But how do you know I won't lose 20 pounds in a month? Now that I'm doing it right. I was doing it wrong the first two times. But now I'm doing it the right way.

Because almost everyone else here is also doing it the 'right' way and is not losing at that pace at that weight. It's taken me almost a year to lose 55lbs.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If I was at a healthy weight. Then my expectations and goals would be unreasonable. But again I'm overweight.

But regardless of overweight, there will be a number that is too much for you. Is it 5, 6, 7, 10, 12 lbs a week? Do you know what it is? Being overweight is no reason to completely abuse your body - it's the only one you've got. Regardless of past indiscretions, you still have to proceed carefully. Basically you want to avoid injuries, exhaustion and all the other stuff you've been told about on the thread. Those could have nasty, long term ramifications that would totally diminish any hasty and misguided short term goals

But I do agree eating 1800 cals is a step in the right direction
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Also even if it's water weight that would just be clams. Why because at least my muscles will be more visible and defined. I'll look even leaner than before. Plus I'm superficial the numbers on the scale matter to me.

Just because of math. 3500 x 20 = 70,000 calories. You'd need to have more than a 2300 calorie defecit each day.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,935 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The people on the biggest loser lose weight rapidly because they're overweight. So I don't know why some people have a problem with me trying to lose 20 pounds in a month. It's not like I'm trying to lose 25-35. That's ridiculous. But maybe it's possible. Who knows? Everyone's body reacts differently.

Are you trying to lose FAT, or FAT FREE MASS?

I believe the theoretical limit of fat oxidation is calculated to be around 31Cal per lb of free fat per day http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615.

This is not the desirable rate, neither is it the least side effects rate, or the best for long term loss rate. It is the theoretical limit.

So, assuming you can reach the theoretical limit of fat loss and you have 75lbs of available fat in your 180lb body, for sure you can lose 20lbs of fat during the next 30 days.

Then there is advise that has been concocted by people who have spent some time thinking about this *kitten*.

Men: <15% and Women: <24% <0.5-1.5 lb per week, or; 0.25-0.75% of bodyweight per week.
    Men: 16-25% and Women: 25-34% 1-2 lb per week, or; 0.75-1.5% of bodyweight per week.
    Men: 26+% Women: 35+% 1.5-3.5 lb per week, or; 1.0-1.5% of bodyweight per week.

Some other *kitten* I've read further modifies that for me and makes me think that 0.7% to 1% makes more sense than 1.5%.

But hey: it is your body and as you keep saying you are superficial and you don't care if you lose muscle instead of fat and you're not trolling either! (all things that you have said about you, not me)
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    I'm not using an excuse. It's fact. Overweight people lose weight faster than someone who's a healthy weight it's true.

Just like men lose weight faster than women.

I'm not abusing my body. I was before. Yes. But I won't any longer. There is nothing wrong with 2 hours of cardio. So long as I don't have any underlying health issues that would affect the longevity of my work outs. But as I said earlier I have high Cholesterol. So all I see is a win win situation here. My blood pressure went down because of my work outs. Even though I don't have a blood pressure problem.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I'm not using an excuse. It's fact. Overweight people lose weight faster than someone who's a healthy weight it's true.

I'm not abusing my body. I was before. Yes. But I won't any longer. There is nothing wrong with 2 hours of cardio. So long as I don't have any underlying health issues that would affect the longevity of my work outs. But as I said earlier I have high Cholesterol. So all I see is a win win situation here. My blood pressure went down because of my work outs. Even though I don't have a blood pressure problem.

Per the numbers above you'd need more like four hours a day of cardio everyday for a month. That sound sustainable to you? I do three hour sessions sometimes, and people do long runs and run half marathons, marathons and do iron men. You're not the only person to ever exercise. Just need to be very safe about it :)
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    Can I be honest. I'm trying to lose fat. But as long as the scale moves I'll be very happy. I'm going to actually read that link because that's pretty interesting. If I can even lose 3.5 a week. That would be choice!
  • stephaniechukwu31
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hm I'll see. I'll keep it at two which is sustainable to me. Didn't claim I was the only one to ever exercise. Also I alternate between strength training and cardio. Cardio alone would kill my muscle.

So far I've been safe. Concerning exercise. Not my eating habits I will admit. Thanks for the concern.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The people on the biggest loser lose weight rapidly because they're overweight. So I don't know why some people have a problem with me trying to lose 20 pounds in a month. It's not like I'm trying to lose 25-35. That's ridiculous. But maybe it's possible. Who knows? Everyone's body reacts differently.

Are you trying to lose FAT, or FAT FREE MASS?

I believe the theoretical limit of fat oxidation is calculated to be around 31Cal per lb of free fat per day http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615.

This is not the desirable rate, neither is it the least side effects rate, or the best for long term loss rate. It is the theoretical limit.

So, assuming you can reach the theoretical limit of fat loss and you have 75lbs of available fat in your 180lb body, for sure you can lose 20lbs of fat during the next 30 days.

Then there is advise that has been concocted by people who have spent some time thinking about this *kitten*.

Men: <15% and Women: <24% <0.5-1.5 lb per week, or; 0.25-0.75% of bodyweight per week.
    Men: 16-25% and Women: 25-34% 1-2 lb per week, or; 0.75-1.5% of bodyweight per week.
    Men: 26+% Women: 35+% 1.5-3.5 lb per week, or; 1.0-1.5% of bodyweight per week.

Some other *kitten* I've read further modifies that for me and makes me think that 0.7% to 1% makes more sense than 1.5%.

But hey: it is your body and as you keep saying you are superficial and you don't care if you lose muscle instead of fat and you're not trolling either! (all things that you have said about you, not me)

Yep - its the 31 cals per lb of fat - IIRC correctly Lyle McDonald came up with it based on the study, but every time I look for it I get distracted by something else before I find it.

Issue is, while the deficit may be ok at 75lb of fat mass - it works out to be approx. 2,300 - there are a bunch of issues with setting a deficit at this, including:

- its a hypothetical - why risk maxing it out
    - as soon as you lose weight, you are over the max. After say 10lb fat loss, you have 65lbs - that works out to be approx. 2,000 - thats 300 calories of energy being fed by muscle (and I cannot recall the equivalent of the 3,500 per lb for muscle to convert it) - that's basically why there is a 'sliding scale'
    - as its a hypothetical, it assumes you are not doing other things to cause muscle being used for energy outside 'normal' situations, such as extreme cardio (you need protein for repair and low calories have a significant risk of not getting enough), plus your body using your protein for energy in any event.

I am not saying that the 31 cals per lb is 'the' number - but why risk it. There are many studies that show that the size of the deficit (and someone's leanness) impacts LBM retention - which is basically saying the same thing - your body can only utilize a certain amount of fat a day
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options

If you're 180 at 5'5" and you've already been losing, you're not going to lose 20lbs of fat in the next month. It has nothing to do with "working hard". It's just not going to happen. You don't have THAT much to lose that you can be comparing yourself to morbidly obese people who start diets and lose 20-30lbs the first month.

You'll be successful when you stop trying to find the fastest way possible but instead learn the sustainable way. 12 pounds in two months is a great loss. Listen to Sara's advice and you will reach your goals. Also, I wouldn't ignore MrM because you could learn a lot from him.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    OP, one of the reasons that people are concerned with rapid weight loss (rightly so), is that, among other things, you run a greater risk of LBM loss the greater the deficit it. When someone is very heavy, that risk is low and in any event, the health benefits often outweigh the downside. For people who do not have huge amounts to lose, as is your case, then the risk of being heavier than desires is just so much lower and the trade off is not worth it - losing muscle mass means that you are not losing all fat, you are less likely to be happy with your body composition when at goal and will actually have to eat less to maintain. The leaner you are the greater the risk of LBM loss in any event.

There are a lot of other reasons (adherence, nutrient sufficiency for hormone balance and health etc), but that is one of them.

This is why everyone keeps telling you 20lbs in a month is unrealistic and a bad idea.