Options

Replies

• nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nancyjay__ wrote: »
    I will lose 20 pounds by school ends. If you don't want to help that's fine. And I accept your criticism. But I'm looking for advice on how to do this.

I don't think I'm drinking enough water. I got my blood work done. After my first attempt at losing weight. Everything was fine expect my cholesterol and I'm dehydrated. Every workout I sit in the sauna for 20 mins. Of course I drink water during and after. But I don't think I drink enough water throughout the day. My mouth is always dry.

WHY IS EVERYONE BEING SO NICE TO THIS GIRL! YOU SOUND LIKE SOMEONE WHO IS OBSESSED WITH THE SCALE AND THE NUMBERS ON IT WHETHER YOU'RE HEALTHY OR NOT AND NOBODY HERE THAT REMOTELY CARES FOR YOU WILL HELP YOU DO THAT! YOUR MOUTH IS DRY BECAUSE YOU'RE PROBABLY DEHYDRATED SO YOURE PROBABLY NOT DRINKING ENOUGH WATER AND SITTING IN THE SAUNA ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT NEITHER IS A PALEO OR ANY KIND OF DIET! THE REASON YOU GAINED YOUR WEIGHT BACK WHEN YOU CUT CARBS IS BECAUSE FAD DIETS ARE NOT SUSTAINABLE. IF YOU WANT TO DEVELOPE AN EATING DISORDER IT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU KEEP UP THAT MINDSET. IF YOU WANT TO STAY HEALTHY MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND LOSE THE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF THEN QUIT THE WHINING AND BRATTY ATTITUDE AND WORK. EAT THE CALORIES YOUR BODY NEEDS AND DONT TRY TO CUT CORNERS.

GOD MAKES ME SO MAD WHEN PEOPLE ASK FOR HELP THEN TAKE ON THIS BS ATTITUDE

If by being being nice to her you supporting her idea, I would say that isn't actually happening. The majority of the people have been calling her out from the start. Sara has been more civil about it and has been trying to reason with her because that's how she is and does a better job at being that way than a lot of us do. But I definitely would say most of the people in this thread have been telling the OP her plan is not wise.

I guess by nice I mean trying to reason with her and not telling her shes bat sh** crazy no I did not mean agreeing with her I read the comments before I posted
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    I will lose 20 pounds by school ends. If you don't want to help that's fine. And I accept your criticism. But I'm looking for advice on how to do this.

I don't think I'm drinking enough water. I got my blood work done. After my first attempt at losing weight. Everything was fine expect my cholesterol and I'm dehydrated. Every workout I sit in the sauna for 20 mins. Of course I drink water during and after. But I don't think I drink enough water throughout the day. My mouth is always dry.

WHY IS EVERYONE BEING SO NICE TO THIS GIRL! YOU SOUND LIKE SOMEONE WHO IS OBSESSED WITH THE SCALE AND THE NUMBERS ON IT WHETHER YOU'RE HEALTHY OR NOT AND NOBODY HERE THAT REMOTELY CARES FOR YOU WILL HELP YOU DO THAT! YOUR MOUTH IS DRY BECAUSE YOU'RE PROBABLY DEHYDRATED SO YOURE PROBABLY NOT DRINKING ENOUGH WATER AND SITTING IN THE SAUNA ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT NEITHER IS A PALEO OR ANY KIND OF DIET! THE REASON YOU GAINED YOUR WEIGHT BACK WHEN YOU CUT CARBS IS BECAUSE FAD DIETS ARE NOT SUSTAINABLE. IF YOU WANT TO DEVELOPE AN EATING DISORDER IT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU KEEP UP THAT MINDSET. IF YOU WANT TO STAY HEALTHY MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY AND LOSE THE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF THEN QUIT THE WHINING AND BRATTY ATTITUDE AND WORK. EAT THE CALORIES YOUR BODY NEEDS AND DONT TRY TO CUT CORNERS.

If by being being nice to her you supporting her idea, I would say that isn't actually happening. The majority of the people have been calling her out from the start. Sara has been more civil about it and has been trying to reason with her because that's how she is and does a better job at being that way than a lot of us do. But I definitely would say most of the people in this thread have been telling the OP her plan is not wise.

I guess by nice I mean trying to reason with her and not telling her shes bat sh** crazy no I did not mean agreeing with her I read the comments before I posted

Well to a certain extent people will always try to explain why something is a bad idea to the OP. But also keep in mind that a lot of times the posts aren't only for the OP, they are for the people lurking the forum thinking about doing the same thing that are not posting.

OK.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »
    uvi5 wrote: »

Haha. She needs to learn the basic principles of diet and nutrition which she clearly has no grasp on. I thought she was catching on for a second but then she kept at the 20lbs in a month crap and seems to think any naysayers are just doubting her ability to work hard in the gym.

*shrug*

Me too, but maybe she'll be thinking about it and the lightbulb will turn on for her.

Wow, I'm in an ultra nice mood tonight... Must be the yummy salmon, asparagus and rice dinner :) Love them omega's. OOOhhhh and a night time walk, then a fresh fruit plate with yogurt :smiley:

My man made halibut, kale, corn on the cob, and potatoes. It made me in a good mood too. :D

Good Man he is!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

We all have different ways of communicating. The OP is not the only one reading the post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited April 2015
    Options

Well to a certain extent people will always try to explain why something is a bad idea to the OP. But also keep in mind that a lot of times the posts aren't only for the OP, they are for the people lurking the forum thinking about doing the same thing that are not posting.

Lol..posted before I read yours and yep.

We all have different styles and views on how to try to keep the communication useful for people other than the OP.

That being said, you should have seen last night's fun 'want to 'crash diet' thread. It was highly amusing and people were not going out of their way to be nice as the OP filled the bingo card.
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

We all have different ways of communicating. The OP is not the only one reading the post.

Got it I guess I was just emotionally engaged with the op for a minute I am worried about her
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,935 Member
    Options
    Probably none of that made sense but it did in my head.

from the point of view of a general discussion and trying to figure out which formula is absolutely correct or more correct or right or better, yes it makes perfect sense.

however it depends on the level of error you're willing to tolerate in this world full of errors. And if the error is unlikely to factor in my decision making I couldn't care less if it's one percent or 5 percent or 10%.

Basically, I am interested in the literature from the point of view of improving my decision making when it comes to my own weight loss and that of my friends.

But I have no horse in the scientific race so to speak, as long as I'm able to determine what the general consensus is.

And absent a general consensus, as long as I can figure out what the oppossing points of view are, and the arguments they're making so I can pick which one if any wins for me, I am satisfied, assuming I am somewhat aware of the potential pitfalls of my decision and can tolerate the risks associated with making it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Got it I guess I was just emotionally engaged with the op for a minute I am worried about her

I understand and realize that you are not meaning to be confrontational with other posters, so please take this as just an observation.

Depending on the OP, 'yelling' at someone is likely to alienate them and they will totally brush off the post. Many posters have their idea completely stuck in their head and will not listen to people telling them not to do it (as we have observed here - and there have been a myriad of different styles of advice/opinion). Even if they take on a small part of what you are saying, its better than taking on nothing. It appears (although we shall see) that the OP has agreed to up her calories and possibly cut back on exercise (and I honestly hope she does). The results will be what they are in the end.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am going to have to pay you for doing my research at this rate lol - you are making me lazy =)
    Hey I just joined your MFP group, so just paying ahead :smile:
    I think I recall seeing numbers from 600 to catabolize and up to 2000 to build, and then deciding that 1000 sounded good for my purposes : - )

Well, I hope you do not try to click the links on the main 'topics' (Important Posts to Read) sticky in the group - I just found out that they do not work and even copy pasting in the url does not work. Its as if the posts have disappeared. I now need to see how/if we can find them. There were dozens of them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

We all have different styles and views on how to try to keep the communication useful for people other than the OP.

That being said, you should have seen last night's fun 'want to 'crash diet' thread. It was highly amusing and people were not going out of their way to be nice as the OP filled the bingo card.

Man I was obviously roaming the wrong section last night. Actually I was reading a bunch of articles. That's what I get for trying to learn.

The funniest part was the OP telling me I looked like a dude and that she could give me some beauty tricks to help my self esteem. Lolz were had!
  • nancyjay__
    Options

I understand and realize that you are not meaning to be confrontational with other posters, so please take this as just an observation.

Depending on the OP, 'yelling' at someone is likely to alienate them and they will totally brush off the post. Many posters have their idea completely stuck in their head and will not listen to people telling them not to do it (as we have observed here - and there have been a myriad of different styles of advice/opinion). Even if they take on a small part of what you are saying, its better than taking on nothing. It appears (although we shall see) that the OP has agreed to up her calories and possibly cut back on exercise (and I honestly hope she does). The results will be what they are in the end.

Well. Hope she learned something from tonight. And I know what you guys are saying hope people thinking of losing unreasonably amounts in unreasonable amounts of time know that it's unreasonable lol. I just let that sentence go where it may.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Man I was obviously roaming the wrong section last night. Actually I was reading a bunch of articles. That's what I get for trying to learn.

The funniest part was the OP telling me I looked like a dude and that she could give me some beauty tricks to help my self esteem. Lolz were had!

Wonder what sort of "dudes" Op is hanging out with. You sure as hell don't look like any I've dated...
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Well. Hope she learned something from tonight. And I know what you guys are saying hope people thinking of losing unreasonably amounts in unreasonable amounts of time know that it's unreasonable lol. I just let that sentence go where it may.

Quite reasonably well said :smiley:
  • Retta216
    Retta216 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have not read through all the posts but want to add that I had the same problem when I joined a gym and worked with a trainer years ago. Initially I did not lose a thing and was very discouraged. You need to remember that muscle weights more than fat. If you are truly working out 2 hours at the gym you should be measuring yourself. You might be maintaining weight or even gaining as you develop more muscle vs fat. Once I started measuring my progress rather than beating myself up with the scale, I saw results. Two pounds or less weight loss a week is reasonable. If you lose it too fast it will only come back. Diet is a lifestyle, not a temporary fix.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Has anyone asked OP how she has come up with these 1000 calorie gym burns? Is she going by what the machines are spitting out??

She has entered "very active", i think it was into mfp. How much does she eat on the days she is not very active?? And just because she "thinks" she is very active, does this mean she truly is?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    I believe OP put her activity level as "very active" which gave her around 1,800.

Thanks jordi, wonder where the number came from and I believe people pointed out the issue of double counting. Its a tough call for 10lbs, which depends how much you have to lose and how much exercise, but the OP is determined and shes an adult, so let her try.
    Id have my reservations on safety and practicality, but she will listens to who she wants to. Go for it.