I'm mearly a beggar...

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im surprised some people are supporting her in this idea of losing 20lb in a month (I was cautious about 10 a month). She is clearly confident she knows more about this than other people or anyone who might point things out to her for her own good. Im not sure how people got to 1800?

My very rough calculations would have her at 1970 calories for maintainence, which would be a c200 deficit assuming it was acccurate.

Calories required to forego or burn to lose 20lbs
    = 20x3,500= 70,000

30x200= contribution from moderating eating = 6000

Assuming the numbers were accurate and her body played ball, that leaves 64,000 calories to burn.

That would be an accurate burn of calories at 2133 per day, no rest.

To burn 2133 would probably take 4-7hrs depending on how much rest you needed. I doubt there is anyone on MFP that could keep those sorts of burns up for 30 days straight. Its not going to be achieved with 2hrs cardio because the OP is not going to achieve a rate of 1066 cals per hour.

The numbers dont add up im afraid OP. Try anyway its your body and your life, but am afraid you just arent getting the fundamentals of how weight loss and more importantly safe sustainable weight loss works. Call us mean or negative, but we are trying to ppoint out safe practice and what will work or wont work. Your health is more important than if you can be slim when term ends.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Im surprised some people are supporting her in this idea of losing 20lb in a month (I was cautious about 10 a month). She is clearly confident she knows more about this than other people or anyone who might point things out to her for her own good. Im not sure how people got to 1800?

My very rough calculations would have her at 1970 calories for maintainence, which would be a c200 deficit assuming it was acccurate.

= 20x3,500= 70,000

Assuming the numbers were accurate and her body played ball, that leaves 64,000 calories to burn.

To burn 2133 would probably take 4-7hrs depending on how much rest you needed. I doubt there is anyone on MFP that could keep those sorts of burns up for 30 days straight. Its not going to be achieved with 2hrs cardio because the OP is not going to achieve a rate of 1066 cals per hour.

The numbers dont add up im afraid OP. Try anyway its your body and your life, but am afraid you just arent getting the fundamentals of how weight loss and more importantly safe sustainable weight loss works. Call us mean or negative, but we are trying to ppoint out safe practice and what will work or wont work. Your health is more important than if you can be slim when term ends.

Who is supporting her in losing 20lb a month (other than the rude guy)?

I came up with the 1,800 as a suggestion. It's a reasonable caloric intake for someone of her size and the level of measuring accuracy imo.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sorry, but that 20 lbs is not going to happen.

At your height at current weight, even though you are overweight, you don't have the fat stores to constitute that kind of weight loss.

The reality is that this isn't the Biggest Loser. The contestants on that show are 3-500 lbs. They're SEVERELY Obese. You are not. You are simply overweight. And that means you are going to lose way less.

Have you tried using this?
    https://www.fitwatch.com/calculator/weight-loss-target-date

It can give you a *slightly* better idea of a timeline, though it's not spot on... because weight loss isn't linear. I put you info in there and even with a 1000 calorie deficit and being very active, it puts a 20 lbs loss to be the end of June at the earliest. So yea... totally not 1 month.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

= 20x3,500= 70,000

I believe OP put her activity level as "very active" which gave her around 1,800.

But yeah, 20 pounds per month is not realistic. I'm currently 321lbs (down from 364), and I'm currently losing at a 10lb per month rate. I can't imagine someone half my size trying to double that rate, not while staying healthy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lmao! This wasn't a troll post... It was a genuine question.

Some people here man.. Need to chill out. Seriously. I took people's advice. I changed my calorie intake and I'm going to take it easy on my cheat days. That's what I took from this post. Losing 20 pounds in a month is and isn't unhealthy. It's doable. Especially if you work hard. The problem was I was technically starving myself. I ate to little and exercised to much which is why I didn't lose any weight just inches. But now I'll eat more. Simple. Plus I'm already classified as obese. I'm already overweight. People my size can lose weight faster. That's why I'm aiming for 20 pounds. If I was 120 aiming for 100 Then.. Yeah. That would be unhealthy. Because according to the BMI (which is arguably inaccurate...maybe) that goal would lead me to become grossly underweight. I'm supposed to be either 150-130's. According to the BMI. I think some here have genuine concern for my health. Which I greatly appreciate. And some are are just angry they don't have the tenacity I have to work out hard and aspire to achieve high. :)

Stephanie,

No. People don't need to chill out. We are being truthful. I see a lot of genuine concern in this thread.

No, losing 20 pounds in a month is in no way healthy, and it's not doable. In fact, it sounds to me like you have some disordered thinking around weight loss.

No. Nobody is angry about your "tenacity I have to work out hard and aspire to achieve high".

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,935 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I am not saying that the 31 cals per lb is 'the' number - but why risk it. There are many studies that show that the size of the deficit (and someone's leanness) impacts LBM retention - which is basically saying the same thing - your body can only utilize a certain amount of fat a day

I am certainly NOT advocating the 31Cals per lb number. I am advocating 0.7% to 1% of bodyweight per week MAX. (Just to be clear here since I brought up the 31Cals as a theoretical maximum the OP had no hope reaching)

Lyle's post is quoted in this thread: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=11223 (I didn't feel like paying to read the original research paper, so I did go by his commentary)

• stephaniechukwu31
    stephaniechukwu31 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree some people are showing genuine concern while others are projecting their own insecurities on me. Here's a picture in case anyone wants to know how I look like now.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    f9sdx9jjl5ms.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am not saying that the 31 cals per lb is 'the' number - but why risk it. There are many studies that show that the size of the deficit (and someone's leanness) impacts LBM retention - which is basically saying the same thing - your body can only utilize a certain amount of fat a day

I am certainly NOT advocating the 31Cals per lb number. I am advocating 0.7% to 1% of bodyweight per week MAX. (Just to be clear here since I brought up the 31Cals as a theoretical maximum the OP had no hope reaching)

Lyle's post is quoted in this thread: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=11223 (I didn't feel like paying to read the original research paper, so I did go by his commentary)

I was not saying you were advocating it. I was pointing it out in case some saw that number on jumped on it (as I have seen happen).

I was actually agreeing with you and adding some color.

Thank you for the link =)

ETA:
    *sigh* I reread my comment...I seem to be having a habit of adding discussion to someone's post and it looking like I am disagreeing recently, when in fact I am agreeing. I need to keep an eye on that.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Can I be honest. I'm trying to lose fat. But as long as the scale moves I'll be very happy. I'm going to actually read that link because that's pretty interesting. If I can even lose 3.5 a week. That would be choice!

No, no, no......
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Awesome Thanks JaneiR36! Just fixed it :smiley:
    xc720iiogvls.jpg

• SLLRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree some people are showing genuine concern while others are projecting their own insecurities on me. Here's a picture in case anyone wants to know how I look like now.

Again, no. Please stop, look, and listen. The people who are giving you advice that your goal is not healthy are spot on.

ETA: And, if that's you in the picture, you don't look like you weigh 180 pounds.
  • stephaniechukwu31
    Options
    Again. I did listen. I did learn. Stop making assumptions. You don't know what my body is capable of.

If I try and fail then you'll know I can't do it. Fine.

But when I succeed you can't tell me anything after that.

I haven't even tried yet. lol.

I got great advice which I'm using. :)
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    If I was at a healthy weight. Then my expectations and goals would be unreasonable. But again I'm overweight.

But regardless of overweight, there will be a number that is too much for you. Is it 5, 6, 7, 10, 12 lbs a week? Do you know what it is? Being overweight is no reason to completely abuse your body - it's the only one you've got. Regardless of past indiscretions, you still have to proceed carefully. Basically you want to avoid injuries, exhaustion and all the other stuff you've been told about on the thread. Those could have nasty, long term ramifications that would totally diminish any hasty and misguided short term goals

But I do agree eating 1800 cals is a step in the right direction
    Much safer and longer lasting results too :smiley:

• SLLRunner
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Again. I did listen. I did learn. Stop making assumptions. You don't know what my body is capable of.

Stephanie, based on your responses, I am making no assumptions.

The point is: you have no business trying to lose 20 pounds in a month. Nobody does, unless they are extremely overweight and losing quickly outweigh the risks of staying obese, and they are under a doctor's care.

What advice are you using?

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Why would you even want to set yourself up for failure?

And, if you really were listening, you'd listen to the dozen or so people who have all chimed in and said the EXACT SAME THING... which is that 20 lbs, at your height and weight, is just not healthy nor probable.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,935 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    [and I cannot recall the equivalent of the 3,500 per lb for muscle to convert it
    Tried to look it up a while back; but, didn't come up with a clear answer. I believe that in the end I decided that the catabolization of muscle yielded about 1000 calories per lb for my purposes. But I don't have sources.