WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tuesday and pensions in bank so off grocery shopping. Then chemist for scripts and make doctor's appointment for Friday.
    Food is 1549 calories. MUST remember to drink more water or headaches
    NO training due to heavy rain, but walking round shops.
    Please keep safe everyone in America, weather is reported as BAD.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    Tonight we are in Coos Bay, Oregon after a beautiful drive along the Pacific Coast. A walk on the treadmill helped me reach my step goal. I love traveling with Jake

Thank you all for sharing your family stories

<3 Barbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.25min, 15.4amph, 2.9mi= 83c
    spin- 36min, 78ar, 120aw, 11-16g, 13.9mi= 291c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.31min, 12.6amph, 1.3mi= 81c
    ride dome 2 tan- 16.51min, 10.1amph, 2.8mi = 175c
    ride tan 2 hm - 5.11min, 11amph, .9mi = 53c
    total cal 685
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday to all of you! I learned some very important things today. That while homemade granola bars ARE fun to make, the numbers are still kind of the same as the store bought ones. Also the quantity you get is more with store bought, than from homemade but MINE look prettier!
    this is what I did:
    in a bowl add:
    2 cups Rice Krispies
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup wheat flour
    1 can of Planters Heart Healthy Nut Mix 9.2 oz can
    1/2 a bag of dried "Just Raspberries"
    Ghirardelli 60% Caco chocolate baking chips (10 oz bag)
    2/3 cup cooking oil
    2/3 honey
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    Mix it all up and flatten in a cookie pan with nonstick aluminum foil on it. 325' for 30 min...or until edges are brown.

So it makes about 40 squares...and I put 20 in my frig...and 20 in my freezer!
    Quaker oats big bars
    Son Mine
    Calories 180 150
    fat 6g 9g
    sodium 120mg 10mg
    carbs 30g 19g
    fiber 2 1
    protein 2 2
    sugar 13 12

so I really only see that there is a more sodium in his than mine. Mine look like a dessert bar...and his are kind of dry. I suppose I could have used HALF the bag of the chocolate baking chips but I was afraid to have those things lying around!

• italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track today. Weekend is over, moving through all the feeling from it without food. Just letting it all go
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kalona: Welcome. We don’t have a quota system around here. There is plenty of room for another UK girl. I was past 60 when I started here. You’re not too late to the party.

Lisa: What happens in TX if you burn the brush-pile? Is there too much risk that the fire will spread?

Terri: I’ve decided to keep working on my knee with exercise and yoga as long as possible. I’m not contemplating surgery while there is a less intrusive alternative that is helping. Congratulations on your hand bike and plank successes.

Mary form MN: I’m so sorry your DH’s daughter has sent him such a negative message. I hope she out grows her bad attitude soon.

Lesley in Tasmania: We had a lovely day yesterday and there has been some needed rain today. I haven’t seen national news, so thanks to your comments, I’ll go check it out when I’m done here.

Barbie & Heather: I love hearing about your trips. I hope they continue to be a pleasure.

This has been a good day. I enjoyed yoga and DH came to the gym and did his exercises. Yay! We were talking about taking a trip for DH’s birthday, but there are many conflicts in our schedule and he asked me to let it go. New plan, we’re going to a favorite restaurant for scotch eggs on his birthday, and then to REI to find him some new clothes.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options

Again today I have read all posts but am just to tired to make notes and make comments. If only I could get a good night's sleep I know I would feel better. I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one who had a bad day yesterday and any other holiday. I think some one hit it on the head when they said their husband had a hard time showing emotions or getting close to some one. I remember when the girls were little that my my husband would open their bedroom doors and just say the words 'time to get up'. I tried to explain to him that it is OK to go and sit on their beds and gently touch them and gently awake them by showing them love, not just give them a command. And I also agree with the others who have stated that I worry that my grand children will learn from their parents as far as holidays, thank you notes and general rules of etiquite.

As far as husbands having for an excuse that they don't give any recognition of Mother's day because 'you aren't my Mother', I would just turn it around and say 'Charlie what have you done for your Mom today'. Well of course he has no answer to that.

I am going to try Melatonin tonight and see how it works. I had stopped using my C-Pap since I had lost all my weight but I am also thinking about using that again. I just hate the indentations it makes on my face that stay several hours. If I am just at home it's OK, but on days when I am at church, going out some where it takes so long for my face to go back to normal.

Night night girls, Joyce, Indiana
  • italy10548
    Options
    Thought for the day- any exercise, no matter how small still blesses our body's. Boom!

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My daughter, Karen, rang this morning with the aweful news she has breast cancer, early stages. They have NO private health insurance so she has to wait for hospital to send for her, She is 45 this year and is a boxing trainer, with 2 young boys..
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check in before I close my eyes. 200 mile road day today. (In New England sized states that a lot of territory.) A good day today. Went back to where I worked nearly 30 years ago. Had the chance to speak w/ the person in my old position. He told me about a number of things he is implementing, many of which I thought were lost causes when I left. Just goes to show how seeds grow. (In the Bible Paul says " I planted, Apolos watered and God makes it grow. 1Cor3:6) A good reminder that things do not have to happen when I have them scheduled.

Naiomi2015 on a cloudy 57F over-night in Massachusetts

• italy10548
    Options
    Lestan48: sending prayers. Keep us posted on your daughters breast cancer
  • italy10548
    Options
    MFP keeps cutting me off. Don't know why?!!

Lestan48: you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    sorry was to tired to get on much lately...
    going to be 90 and humid today air will be on.
    working until 6 today.. and then 1-6 tomorrow, will mow the lawn in the morning..
    My DH aunts cancelled for thursday.. both have health issues that need to be taken care of .Mary has heart issues and Margaret has cancer and it has spread... so I don't know when I will get them together..
    did get an invite to a family graduation ,I dont know if Tom and I could get DFIL back and forth as he can not walk.. will speak with them at the nursing home..
    having trees getting cut in our yard, but supposed to rain saterday(which we need) so maybe he will come sunday
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi all!
    Sunny here, but I heard rain and wind in the night. We are quite exposed here with a view over moorland to the sea, so the trees are bent over.

Mary - don't get too excited about my fitness regime. I didn't do as much walking as I'd planned for yesterday and I had too much alcohol. :ohwell: Was still within maintenance calories, but over my normal limit.
    I have done my 30 mins strength and weight training today so I'm managing to keep that up. :) Will probably walk down and back to a little beach this morning for an hour and a half and a short one this pm before we go out for a pub meal. Want to wash my hair first.in the pm. It'll be great not to be cooking tonight even if the food isn't brilliant! :D

There is a very aggressive sheep in our field that bullies other sheep. A real bully. She was charging around chasing another sheep in the road this morning. Lots of stonechats here. (A bird). Very distinctive noise. Lovely ponies, quite small and shaggy, with foals. They don't seem nervous at all. I love heathland and moorland. When it borders the sea it's even better as the colours are so vibrant.

Speak later. Must get out walking! Going to put a small load in the washing machine.

Heather in Wales UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Whew! We are finally in our hotel in Madrid, after a short flight, a long layover in Miami, a really REALLY long flight to Madrid, a long wait in the airport for a hotel shuttle that never came, and finally a taxi. We are going to nap for a while, after two days with no sleep.

I hope you are all having a great day.

Sylvia
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Lestan48 you said it was early stage so there is a lot of cause for optimism! Prayers for your daughter!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Italy – Nice:
    • "Moving through all the feeling from it without food."
    • "Any exercise, no matter how small, still blesses our bodies."

Katla – Any open burning’s always risky here, yes. People think, because we live on the edges of the desert, it’s long patches of open sand, but it’s actually a lot of underbrush. There are just no trees over the underbrush, and it stays dry as tinder! We keep all the brush, and cut it short enough to fit in what’s called a cowboy smoker, an open-pit burner that we keep on the rock patio, and use it often to cook. We keep the bigger logs for the winter—the frequent ice storms knock the power out, and the fireplace becomes the only source of heat in the house. Works quite well, but needs to be fed a lot… so we just add to the woodpile throughout the year from the larger fallen branches. We do have larger trees around the house.

Lestan48 – I’m so, so sorry about the news on your daughter’s breast cancer. Early stages is a very good thing, hopefully early enough that aggressive treatment will work well. Please keep us posted. Cancer is such a scary word, still, in our vocabulary, but so many friends of mine have had it not just held at bay, but put into full remission with treatment, and then just regular checkups afterward to ensure it stays gone. Thinking of her and you, and all your family and hers.

Sylvia – Glad you made it to Madrid! Happy travels, dear heart….

Our travel plans are all sorted for the rest of the year – Dallas for a quick weekend trip the first weekend of June to see the last of the next generation of my extended family graduate… She’s the only one who wants to be a writer, like Aunt Lisa. That’s, of course, if the good Lord’s willin’ and the creeks don’t rise. For you non-Southerners, it’s just an old saying—but considering the floods in the Dallas area recently, and the week of rain that’s on its way, it’s more apt than usual. Hopefully nature cooperates and all the rivers go back in their banks by the end of the month, 'cause we’ve got reservations in a nice hotel with a kickin’ fitness room. Funny that’s my new criteria! o:)

Then it's off to Montana the last week of August to see DS and new wife, and see my best friend’s daughter get married. My relationship with Barb is one of those lifelong friendships where you’ve talked every week for thirty years—not easy when we’ve been in different states, different countries even, for most of our lives. When I married my DH six years ago in June, she came down and stood up for me as my matron of honor. Drove all the way to Texas to do it in 100 degree heat. But, can’t wait to see our son, meet our daughter-in-law, hug my friend for the first time in two years, and see Montana again. Plan to do the Glacier Park thing while we’re there.

Supposed to be wet here the whole week--woke up thinking, "So what, I'm soaking wet with sweat when I'm done anyway, just need to put my MP3 player in a baggie." Now I'm even thinking about this stuff in my sleep. :wink:

Lisa H in West Texas

PS: Since I mentioned the ice storms above, thought I'd give you a peek at the view from my back door this winter, during one of the few actual snows. Like I said, there are trees around the houses on the ranch--they're like little oases in the desert. The electricity was out for nearly four days during this one. It would have been more beautiful if I hadn't been standing in a house with no heat except a fireplace... But the gas water heater and stove worked, and with that, we did OK.

ejl5tq0dgzem.jpg

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Last night before I went to bed I had a real itchy spot under my bra strap. I lifted it up and there was a Woodtick. I am just getting over the last disease I caught from one of those little buggers. I will need to go in and get checked for Lyme's disease since I already have a decisively large red mark. I kept the tick and it looks like a female deer tick. The one that carries that disease. We have a new showing on our house. It is still on the market until the buyers contingency of their inspection is done next Monday. We could even get a better offer if that one falls through.

Michele- You are a lady of luxury and your hubby is the pool boy...have fun at Mahjong tonight.

Annr- thanks for sharing the granola bar recipe. It sounds delicious!

Katla- I am happy that your DH went to the gym with you! I have heard of scotch eggs but don't know what they are. I'm sure you will make his birthday very special.

Joyce- I hope that you were able to get some sleep last night!

Lesley- I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. We will keep her in our prayers.

Heather-your description of where you are at is absolutely beautiful!

Sylvia-I am glad to hear that you made it safely have a great trip!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Lesley prayers for your daughter.

Mary from MN. I worry about ticks too. I was bit last year and the year before. The year before I did go on antibiotics as a preventative because I did get flu like symptoms. Unfortunately the deer tick is so small now like a poppy seed it is hard to know if you have one on you. I wear long pants and boots when I go through grass or avoid it altogether.

Another story I have about ticks... The last day I was in Sweden my DSIL suggested we take a walk. We walked through a pasture. A couple of days later when I got home I leaned back in my chair and felt a sharp pain. A red mark was on my back I went into the doctor and the the doctor removed a tick. He said that is was his first Swedish tick. I went on antibiotics when I had that tick bite too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Done my hour and a half walk, which was fabulous. DH took a photo of me with my phone so I will post it when I have sent it to myself. I had to crop it as he had his finger over the lens! ! ! !
    We had cloud, sun, rain, sun, etc etc. Of course it rained as we neared the pub so we HAD to go in for a beer. :laugh: Went into the 13C church. Another Edgar Evans memorial there. We have a blue plaque on our house. People stop their cars to take a photo! Some very interesting old graves in the churchyard.
    Delicious lunch at home. Then I've got to get off my tired bottom and do another hour up the hill behind us. Then I will total the 610 I have put in the diary. :D

Sylvia - so glad you've arrived! Now enjoy! :flowerforyou:

Lesley - I had breast cancer, stage 2, eight years ago. As far as I know the cancer is gone. The treatment was tiring but I am so grateful that I live in modern times. Best wishes for your daughter. :flowerforyou:

OK folks, got to get on and hang up the washing.

Heather in the Gower Peninsular, Wales, UK.