WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Carol NC: You're right, it's not stuff that counts it's people. I hope that you get some closure and are able to concentrate on the positive changes you've been making. You are one of my role models!

Kim: It's sure easy to get behind and takes lots of effort to catch back up. I'm enjoying your fun things each week!

Italy: I've been considering getting a Fitbit to monitor sleep as I am always tired when I wake up.

Joyce: I love the "Hold your head up high" quote. It's a shame that our self-esteem can be beaten up so badly by something we cannot control. Thanks for sharing your story.

Sharon in Lethbridge: It's so great to hear from you. I hope things get better soon...stick to your guns on the counselling!

Terri: I'll make a point of see Pitch Perfect 2, I really enjoyed the first one. I'd never heard of using commercials to do house work... interesting thought. With the advent of PVR's now I can fast forward thru them.

Jane: Glad the injury wasn't more severe. Happy Hump Day to you too!

I tried a new recipe yesterday for Tex-Mex Spuds. It seemed to go over really well, although they aren't that low in calories. Not too bad if you only eat half of the baked potato though. I really enjoyed the meal last night. I didn't record it before I ate it. I must remember to do that when trying something new so that I have the calorie count. I also made a huge turkey soup in the new slow cooker.. smells wonderful, I'll try some for lunch. I winged it Heather...no recipe or nothing! Woo Hoo!

Thought for the day: “Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts.” – Winston Churchill

Carey-Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

jmkmomm - i am able to relate with your story about your husband and i do feel for you and your husband. I was 36 and my late husband was 34 when he passed. before he did, He needed a diaper cuz he couldn't move very fast so a diaper would be able to avoid a lot of messes for him. he was so embarrassed to use them. I would have to wipe his butt when ever we did take a trip to the bathroom. I had to change the sheets with him in it if there was an accident. as much as I tried to reassure him that I was doing was out of love, not pity or cuz it "was my wifely duty", this is just what you do for the person you love. if it was me, he would do the same.

when Kirby and I ride every morning, (I do the laundry) so I would notice that his underwear were overly wet with urine. I asked him one day is there anything wrong with him not being able to hold his pee til he got to work? embarrassingly he mentioned that lately he had not been able to. I think it was easier for him to talk about it because I didn't laugh or make fun of it but just asked out of concern. I suggested maybe cutting off one cup of coffee in the morning might be something to try to see if that would fix it. later that day he said, now you're gonna tell your friends and post it on facebook huh. I let him know I WOULD NOT tell anyone on FB (this is the first time I've mentioned it to anyone or put it anywhere) and I DEFINATELY wouldn't make fun of him. less coffee in the morning help.

Men are so proud, if it was us dealing with those issues, they would jump right in and help (at least mine would) but if they are the ones, I dunno, they feel less of a man or something.

ok - this morning after spin class (I have to leave 10 min b4 class is over to make the train, poop shower and shave) I was talking to a girl and my leg was close to someone that was still spinning on the bike behind me. well I got too close that I felt a sting! thank goodness I have got hairless legs cuz it woulda gave me a good shave. I went to the shower and water hit my leg and it stung. that wheel took the skin right off of me..! i'll post a pic later, not bad but wowzers.

one more day!! today last day of work then I am off to California tomorrow morning!!. My brain and body need this. it FORCES me NOT to get up 4:30 in the morning and get on the bike or go to the gym, HOWEVER I still plan on getting up and going for a run when I can. it will hopefully be hotter.. just looked at the forecast; only in the
    70's, whaaaaa, hope it's wrong.

Kirby already has gotten $$ raised for the MS Ride this year (in sept.)!!!!!! he is starting earlier than ever!! he's already almost to 1k!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's not fair! he works with rich people (Virginia mason hospital in Seattle WA). i'm going to take a pledge sheet to California to hit up peeps there. r he always says he'll give me some of his donations if I have trouble, but I would like to raise my own ya know? I've taken his generosity couple times b4. I've already put my thingy on fb, see if I get any hits.

too-da-loo for now... wow, i'm chatty this morning...
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Naiomi, you mentioned Proverbs 31, so I wanted to comment. At our Wednesday night Bible Study last week, the topic our pastor chose for discussion was "three scriptures often misinterpreted." They were "Judge not lest you be judged." "You reap what you sow," and the Proverbs 31 woman. In the original Hebrew, that particular text was an acrostic, with each verse beginning with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet in order and was meant to be a compilation of all things that industrious, virtuous women do and was not intended to mean that one woman could do all those things at one time. It would be impossible.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Tere and Sharon. I wondered where you had disappeared to. :flowerforyou: Sounds like you both have had a lot of stuff to deal with. Joyce too. I feel for you. <3

I walked off 703 calories today. Set off at 10, walked from the cottage through the fields, down the whole length of the coastal path along Rhossili bay, had a cup of tea at a caravan site, then walked back along the beach and up the cliff path to the pub. Had a decent meal on the terrace overlooking the beach (hooray!) and then walked back via Worms Head. Phew! Actual time spent walking - 3 hours 25 minutes. Had to take painkillers to get round and my knee is not grateful, but it was so glorious out there we didn't want to go back to the cottage. The tiny blue sea squills are out all over the cliffs which look fabulous with the yellow gorse. The sea was an intense turquoise.
    Fighter aircraft and attack helicopters practice flying low across the beach on a day like this. Not often enough to get annoying. :D Skylarks are ascending from the gorse. Good day. Tomorrow is forecast rain so we wanted to make the most of it!

Carey - glad to hear your food adventures are going well!
    Tonight we are having the belly pork I precooked on Monday. Glazing it, baking it and having it with local asparagus and a lentil mix. Lots of mustard.
    Sharon - flageolets are beans, like small cannelini, only green.
    DH is complaing that the Camembert cheese I bought is stinking the fridge out. Guess I'll have to eat it then! ! ! ! ! :laugh:

Love you all. Heather, currently living in Evans' s birthplace in Middleton, Rhossili, Wales UK
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Gilly - Don't worry about the swimming. Today, tomorrow, is another day. Sometimes we just need to rest or sleep. // I work in a quiet clinic, so we don't get the scheduled 15 minute breaks, but do get 1 hour for lunch. Since it is small and quiet, we can get up and walk around the office almost any time (as long as I can still answer the phone or hear someone come in the door).

Jane - Hugs for your son.

Drkatiebug - Prayers and Hugs.

So far I REALLY like my new cell phone cover/case. I can leave it open to see if calls or texts come with the ringer turned off while at work. I can fold the front cover all the way back and still use it like a regular phone without taking it out of the case. And, although it has a magnet so I can't put credit cards inside, I can keep my ID or other things in the little slats. And, most importantly, since it has the wristlet strap, I don't need to store it in my bra-ket, but can carry it on my wrist without worry of dropping it. The only thing left is a new screen protector, since I didn't know what I was doing and ruined the only one that came with a case.

Now, back to work. Lunch hour is soon.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    DH, in MY hat, in the cottage garden, enjoying the last rays of sunshine today. :love:

md9frzhi9hpw.jpg

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peach/Carol: Send your son over to my house. I have a freezer I want to send home with him. We offered it to our son and DDIL but they don’t want it because they’re military and will be moving frequently until he retires.

Lisa: If I’m ever in TX, I’ll try to see Fort Worth. It would appeal to me. When I was in the weight loss portion of this journey I weighed nearly every day. Now I weigh more sporadically. Everyone has different preferences & you will eventually work out the right system for yourself.

Annr: I somehow forgot the link between you and Astoria. I love that town. Are you in Hammond? Crying over rain? We need rain. I have friends who fear their floating homes will go aground. Water levels are already at summer low levels around here. I believe that is because the Bonneville Power Admin. is hoarding water. They’ve promised to keep the shipping channels open to Portland through next fall.

Mary: I’m glad you’ve got a doctor’s appointment to examine your tick and I hope it turns out to be harmless. You really can’t be too careful.

Heather: You should have told them you are the writer of an international travel blog, which is perfectly true. You might have had a better experience, or at least a little effort on their part. Trip Advisor is a lovely form of revenge.

Kim: I’m happy for your mom that she got to spend time with you. I’m glad that you’re planning and doing something fun AND telling us about it. Care to share your recipe for salmon, shrimp and clams?

Tere: I’m glad you decided to post a message to everyone, and even happier that you’re back to working on your health. Hypertension is not something to fool around with. For me, one of the main keys to keeping the weight off is corresponding with this group. It keeps me focused on healthy living.

Sylvia: I’m so glad to hear that you are having a great time. Figuring out what I can eat is always on my mind when I travel due to food sensitivities. Be sure to let us know what works for you. The heat sounds daunting. Is it also humid?

Pip: I love your BMI quote. It makes sense to me.

Joyce: I’m sorry your poor DH has experienced incontinence. I hope it turns out to be an isolated incident.

Sharon in Lethbridge: It sounds like you’ve had a tough time lately. I hope things improve. :heart:

Gilly in Suffolk: Walking around the car park is walking. It may not excite your brain, but your body will like it.

Lesley: Prayers for your daughter.

Dr.Katie: Holding your own is not failure.

Terri: Pretty phone cover!

Kal900: Good luck getting yourself back to moving more and being active. Those things really help improve health. If your knees are an issue, riding a recumbent bike is a great idea and so is yoga. Both give them exercise without a pounding. Swimming is also a good option.

Mary: I’m happy to hear you got antibiotics for your tick bite. Enjoy your house hunt. Does your DH want to retire in place or move somewhere else?

Yoga today! Hopefully, DH will go to the fitness center with me and work on his exercises. His days are so much better when he does. Something that makes me happy are the hummingbirds that visit my feeders and hanging flower baskets. The greedy little monsters are emptying two feeders every day! I need to refill them.

Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Heather~ stunning views~ wow that is just wonderful~
  • pipcd34
    Options
    cityjane - LOVE the view!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great bike riding area it looks like.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Pip: Biking riding area... OMG... just the thought gives me a heart attack but I'm sure you could do it! B) They are spectacular views!
  • pipcd34
    Options
    SSC1958 - LMAO!!!! if you think that is bad, you would poop your pants if you saw my route when I bike home. LOLOLOL
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee: You are right, he does workout with me and he does support me. The problem is that he is a Marine and I am not. I really enjoy the gym and working out. As the kids say “He Goes Hard!” >:)

Italy10548: I have been giving consideration to getting a fit bit with the sleep monitor. Thanks for sharing a little of what you have found. I did a little over 6K steps yesterday for the first time and was so proud of myself.
    Michele in NC: Thanks for the well wishes.

Joyce, Indiana and pipcd34: Sending you many hugs. <3 You really gave me inspiration and wisdom. The SO and I are getting to the point where most of our friends have complications due to high blood pressure and diabeties and sometimes it seems that everyone has had a triple by-pass. He really worries about the ability to take care of himself and whether or not I will stand by him if he becomes really ill. Now I have the words to comfort him – Thanks.

Heather: I am sooo jealous! Beautiful picture. :)

Sharon in Lethbridge: Sending hugs! <3

Kal900: Once I’m in a slump it is hard for me to get back in the exercise groove. I have a Doberman who has appointed himself my walking master! He stands at the back door at 6 AM and gives one whoof every 5 minutes or so until he sees me with his leash. That has helped me lots. I really want to do boot camp! It is my goal for next Spring! Love your May goals so I will pretty much echo them.

Drkatiebug: I am shocked! Don’t feel like a failure because you are not one! <3

Tere’s May Goals
    1. Consciously weigh and assess
    2. start logging all foods again and keeping check on what we're eating
    3. no more snack foods and bad stuff until my birthday in August
    4. drink more water instead of soda

Tere in Richmond VA

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Oh!! Come to work today and found out another lady put in her notice and last day is June 5th. She is done dealing with the new supervisor. So another full time job we have to cover until they hire and train someone. I was looking at her hours and it is going to be a mess. I work with the new supervisor tomorrow so could be interesting. Yesterday was my day off and went to the dentist. I told him I decided to go with the reline not the screws in my jaw. So Monday I go in at 7:45 am and they will take impressions and leave my teeth and go back at 4pm and they will be done. So I plan to stay close to home that day. Not a good night sleep wise. DH got a call at 1:45am that the alarms were going off at the store. I asked why they were calling him as he is not management anymore. Guess his is the only number they have. So I got up to ride with him. Everything was ok and was back home in bed by 2:30am, so not ready to get up when the alarm went off at 5:45am. Glad today is my 8 hour day, so planning to walk home and get to bed early. LOL. will see how that works out.

Did get good news on the motorcycle yesterday. Part of it is on recall so only going to cost about half of what we thought. So hoping they will get it done by the first of the week. God is good.

Heather--Sounds like you made the smart choice and now you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip without a trip to the hospital. Love the picture, you look great! DH does look relaxed in his picture, what beautiful handiwork of God.

Joyce--Please talk to your doctor about the c-pap. My dad lost 175 pounds and never had his ajusted for the weight loss. Doctor said that is part of what caused him to have the heart attack. He was getting to much air for his new weight. DH is so lucky to have you. I am also Blessed with my DH when I need help he is always there. But why is it that they have so much trouble with help from us. I just tell DH we have a partnership and each does what needs to be done at the time.

Lesley--Sorry about the news about DD. Sending prayers and hugs.

Sylvia--Sounds like a nice day and lots to see.

Sharon--Sending HUGS and prayers. Sounds like you have been going thru alot please take care of yourself.

Mary--Sending good wishes on finding a new place to live.

Katiebug--You are not a failure long as you don't give up. Sending prayers and hugs!!

Terri--very pretty cell phone case. enjoy.

Looking like the sun is shining and I am looking forward to my walk home. Have Bible study this evening and then early to bed. Enjoy the day and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good evening everyone! We just got back from a day trip to Avila and Segovia. Here is a picture of me and my sweetie in front of the Roman Aquaducts in Segovia.

0z3scysl1bjh.jpg

My step count for today was 18,848 and 7.92 miles. A new record! Of course, hubby did the same distance, but he takes fewer steps! :D plus, we climbed a lot of steps to get to the view are the top of the Aquaducts. It was fantastic! Two years ago this would have killed me, but today I wasn't even out of breath at the top!

I'm finding plenty to eat. There is a fruit store and a beautiful bakery about a block from the hotel, so I've been overdosing on wonderful apples, oranges, peaches, cherry tomatoes and the best croissants and cheeses I've ever eaten. I figure I can afford it with all this walking. The weather has been hot, but dry, so it hasn't really felt too bad. I got a little sun poisoning on my legs today, so tomorrow I'd better wear long pants. Tonight we stopped at Ruby Tuesday and hubby got a plate of ribs. I nibbled a couple, then came back to the room with a big bag of fruit. I'm in heaven.

I hope you are all having a great day too! Tere, I'm so glad to see you!

Later everyone!

Sylvia

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    Sylvia and Heather love the pictures of your travels.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I feel fantastic today. I slept really well. Fitbit recorded 7 hr 19 min of sleep with 1 time awake and 19 times restless. With all that I slept for almost 7 hours! Did my CLassical Stretch and walked 2 miles this morning. Going back out after dinner to see if I can make it to 10 k steps today!

Hope you're all doing well. Sending prayers to all.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @mollywhippet your vacation looks fantastic. Great job on the walking...wow 7.92!

@exermom I used the cookie pan for my granola bars, and made 40 bars worth. They are smaller than a normal store bought one, but a nice size to crumble onto yogurt in the morning.

@lhannon062709 I shall have fun with changing it up during the summer. The main ingredients rolled oats, honey, oil, eggs and brown sugar will always stay the same. I will switch up the other cereal, the fruit, and the nuts though. I mixed it with my hands so its a fun "mad scientist" sort of thing to make. I purposely didn't clean up as I was opening this and that....sometimes messy cooking can be really liberating :smiley:

@Katla49 Yep I am in Hammond. I have a community garden about a block from me, and I could visualize all my seedlings just floating in water... Bonneville is hoarding water? If you look at the states color chart of the drought, the upper left corner in Hammond has no color at all. We have so much water, we don't even rate a color. hahaha.. So I can be sunning in the morning, have it rain and hail in the afternoon. It's never boring thats for sure..
    Today was my TOPS meeting and I gained 1/4 lb, but I was really glad I was there and feeling accountable. Last week I had lost 3.25 so losing again this week seemed abit far fetched. Came home and cut up my beef kelbasa that was in the frig, into 3oz portions. Took a portion, chopped it and cooked it up with a handful of leftover noodles and some fresh spinach and 1/4 cup of water. I took a big bowl and put 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese in and poured what I had cooked over it. It was heavenly. I sprinkled parmesan cheese over everything. About a 350 calorie meal.
    This week ahead I plan to walk or swim every day. Log in my food, (of course), get 7-9 hrs of sleep a night, read alot, and smile.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Sylvia - Fantastic! Glad you're settling in to your holiday. Segovia looks amazing! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK

PS - if I say it myself, >:) , the meal I cooked tonight was one of my best ever! DH was ecstatic! <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I have no idea where I left off as I’ve been reading before bed and DH keeps taking the iPad out of my hands after I’m fast asleep! No, you are not boring me … I’m just exhausted! So started on page 16 … as I don’t remember much of what is on this page!! Some of my comments will be on old subject matter …

Heather, Janet, Barbie & Sylvia: Enjoy your trips!

Heather: lovely photo!

On the strange holiday we call Mother’s Day: Our church service had a man from the Ukraine speak about orphaned young girls who are being snatched off the streets of Odessa, Ukraine and sold into slavery. He spoke about the need for more places where young girls can go after being released from orphanages (at the age of 15) so they don’t become prey. He is the director of World Hope Ukraine and runs two homes called “Hope House.” It was a welcome change from Psalm 31. The church gave out little satchel bags of chocolate to all the women in the church … as we are all daughters. I think there is a move to be more sensitive about some of these holidays.

My oldest son did buy me a gift. The youngest son composed a guitar piece that he played in church during the offertory … dedicated to me. I had sent a gift to my own mother earlier and talked to her later; and said a prayer for the woman (whom I don’t know) who gave birth to me, but put me up for adoption.

Annr: Love the motto “there is perfection in imperfection.”

Pip: A wonderful photo of your family!

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa: love reading your posts … and your Mama was beautiful! I am one of those people who writes a “comment” on facebook. Erases. Rewrites. Erases. And ends up writing nothing ... it's best if I say nothing.

Terri: in RE: Mother’s Day … my oldest son was born at 24 weeks 28 years ago … he beat the odds of survival … which were less than 10% past 24 hours … but has had many complications. I wouldn’t change anything … it’s made me who I am today … but it has not been easy. I sat with a woman in the NICU who had a child the same week my son was born who did not make it … I am so sorry you had that experience.

Lesley: I will be praying for your daughter! I know your medical system is different than ours here in the states. Hopefully she will receive treatment as quick as possible.

Tere: Good to see you back! I am definitely a member of the Inconsistent Club … A personal trainer is a great idea … when I have been able to afford one, they have made a huge difference in my success. I have a friend whose husband is in the FBI ... she talks about him going into "combat mode" ... usually leaves her in tears even though he means well.

Sharon … hugs….

Sylvia … a great photo of you and your hubby!

I have not been doing well with the calorie goals but my walking goals have been great. Over 10,000 steps most days the last two weeks. Eating crap. Have decided that Honey Roasted Peanuts are to be banned in my home along with Salted English Toffee ... Not sure why I'm being so stupid ... or rather I don't want to really look at why I'm being so stupid... But I'm making myself sick so it's about time I get with it.

Will try to keep up better here!
    Beth in WNY
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, what a wonderful photo! You and DH both look great.