WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I cannot keep up with all of you and so many great posts!

I’ve been on travel for much of April and May, and not great on eating/drinking, but getting in my steps. I like that Fitbit! I’m getting more done around the house knowing I just need to get up and do things to get most of my 10k steps. Today I walked 2.5 miles at lunch, and a normal active day will easily take care of the rest.

I got a sore heel last fall (plantar fasciitis), really couldn’t walk more than a few 100 yrds, bad knee and overweight trigger than sometimes. Took a full 6 months, but I think it’s mostly healed. I do routine calf stretches (thanks Sassy for the suggesting to move while brushing teeth) and 5 miles walking a day, ice when I need it… and it got better slowly, thank goodness.

Twenty pounds down, I need another 10 to think about some new clothes (yup, I had gained a good bit in late 2014, so 20 lbs puts me back at a weight where I have spent a lot of time).

Today’s reason to lose weight: I need some new clothes. I hate shopping at a size 26 but my jeans are about worn out.

Have a great spring weekend everyone! I hope to get a bunch of yard work done, some kayaking and maybe some fishing in.

Cindy in SoMD

14386427.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cindy - congrats on the weight loss and all the walking you are doing. :flowerforyou:

Carol - enjoy your trip! You soooooo deserve it!

Pip - sorry about your mother! Don't get me started on mine! ! ! ! I so envy those who loved and miss their mothers. I found a new love for mine as she got old and feeble. Old age is no picnic.

Our Fish and Chips was really good! And fizzy wine is the best accompaniment! ! ! :laugh: The batter on the cod was perfect. The chips could have been crispier, but I have had MUCH worse. I did mushy peas ftom a tin. I was very happy. Ringing in the meal at 800 and the wine at 300. Haven't had such a splurge in the 3 years since I started all this. Soooooo, all that walking, which nesrly killed me, was worth it! :laugh:

Heather in Wales for one more night. UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello from Barcelona!!! We rode the bullet train and arrived here about 4:00. We checked in, only to find that we are in a room on the 6th floor with a patio that looks out onto the ocean! :):D:p Can you tell we are happy!!! We've already gone to supper at a place about a block away, and the owner was very accommodating about my allergy to fish. He made me a grilled chicken breast on a pristine grill, and pasta with olive oil and garlic, all with no salt added. It was juicy and delicious. Hubby said his food was very good too.

After dinner we walked the half-block to the beach. There is a nice path along the sea wall, where we walked for several miles. So I got my steps in, in spite of traveling. 11,416, so less than the last few days, but still over my goal. I'll take it.

Susan from Florida, we MUST have pictures of your dogs! I've always loved Great Danes, but never had one. Are they as wonderful as they seem? And I have a soft spot for mixed dogs too. They are all so unique. I have one whippet, one pound puppy, and one I found in a parking lot. The last two are mixes. Both are a lot smarter that poor Molly, the whippet. I think of her as the supermodel of the dog world. All beauty and no brains.

Heather, two foot jellyfish! Yuck! Is that a swimming beach?

Katla, happy birthday to your hubby!

Selena, if you figure out how to get cloned, could you share? I could use some of that.

Vicki and Meg, take care! I hope the storms miss you!

Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's jokes:

:)

A tourist stopped a local in a village he was visiting and asked; "What is the quickest way to the lake?

The local thought for a while. "Are you walking or driving?" he asked the tourist. "I'm driving."

"That is the quickest way!" the local said.

:D

A little girl was in church with her mother when she started feeling ill. "Mommy," she said, "can we leave now?"

"No," her mother replied.

"Well, I think I have to throw up!"

"Then go out the front door and around to the back of the church and throw up behind a bush." After about 60 seconds the little girl returned to her seat.

"Did you throw up?" Mom asked.

"Yes."

"How could you have gone all the way to the back of the church and returned so quickly?"

"I didn't have to go out of the church, Mommy. They have a box next to the front door that says, 'For the Sick.'

:D
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    a quick good evening ladies,
    I am off to bed, sore throat and not feeling well at all.. I have to work 1/2 day tomorrow// so will read and then pass out.
    ta ta for now <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    Much easier day today I'm not with my mom I'm with my sister
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Wasn't able to get on yesterday, so this is going to be long. Yesterday did Jillian Michael's Hard Body DVD. I think this is the one of hers that I like the least. Skipped exercise today (don't fall over) but the plan for tomorrow is to do Gin Miller's Simply Endurance DVD

kim - now that I think of it, the last time I went to a movie, even tho I brought things to eat, I didn't eat anything. Glad you found a vet that you like, that's so important. We found one we liked when we rented the apt in Hickory, and now that we've moved to Newton, we still drive 20 minutes to go see him, we like him that much. My daughter in VA even goes to him! What great insight you have on moms

Vanessa
    - thanks for the link

Mary from MN
    - we're getting the chlorine level back down to normal. Went in the pool today for a little bit, but when I get out, my hands still feel very dry. I know that's not normal and it's only because the chlorine is higher than normal. But we're getting there....yea!!!!

Vicki
    - congrats on 9 years sober. What an accomplishment! I couldn't get over how well my vacuum picked up the cat hair compared to my old one. Well, it was rated as one of the highest for picking up animal hair by Consumer Reports. The old one is now down at the condo. Since we're only there a bit during the year, I can live.

mindsiview
    - welcome

jane - congrats on the great loss. So sorry about your mom and son

katla - I won't use aluminum pans, either. And I don't like nonstick coating. I'll spray with a non-stick spray, but won't use a nonstick coated pan. Happy birthday to your hubby

annr - what a wonderful compliment, to be mistaken for your son's wife. Great swimming

Sharon - you have a lovely gd there

Cleaned the filters in the pool. Boy, were they disgusting! Well, with all that algae and all.... Then went in the pool and laid out by it some. Tonight we're going to see "Little Shop of Horrors" at the Green Room

selena - (((HUGS)))

pip - sorry about your mom.

Alison - feel better fast

Went to the bowling party last night. I admit that I did feel bad when the host asked what I wanted, a hamburger or a brat, and I told him that I brought something. But I know that I would have felt horrible (sick to my stomach) if I had that. I just don't eat a lot of red meat or foods high in fats. I may have just a little, but that's it.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Busy Busy day, and not over yet. I taught a BBQ class (newbies…I’m a nut! I have 3 small businesses – gardening, cooking classes and a machine embroidery business) today – it is an interesting gig, a 1 hour cooking class for the employess of my town, paid for by the city – they call it lunch and learn. The challenge of these classes is there is only 1 hour! So I prep everything have some things pre-done and they just do the “end” of the work. Today was BBQ or Grilled kebobs, grilled corn and tomato salad and banana spilts without ice cream. So I marinated veggies, chicken, and beef (3 different marinades) and then let them put together what they wanted on the skewer. They took it out to the BBQ and cooked it. They also took a banana cut it long way in half – leave the peel on! And only cut through the “top” of the skin then fill the cut with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips wrap up the foil and put it on the BBQ – after 5 min, the chocolate is melted the banana soft, open it up and scoop it out with a spoon. Yummy

Have not quite caught up, but my tea is gone and must get dinner on the table, left overs from Class!! Yeah!! They pay me and I have an extra meal. Love it.

Katla - “Grandpa speaking up” really makes you wonder - with all of us there are so many back stories.
    My mom and I talk very frankly about what she wants “when the time comes” and I will be able to make choices to reflect her wishes – I am glad she has been willing to be so open, and I think you doing that for your choices is very wise.

Terri – lets connect off line, and I can help you out. Good embroidery machines are many $$$ mine are commercial and new run in the $40K range – thank goodness for used.

Mary – I think it is so cool that you are just rolling with a complete change stability in my living situation is super critical to me and I don’t think I’d flow with it with as much grace as you are.

Heather – I am reading windows, but first read The Trouble with Herbert --- LOVED it I am in love with Herbert!

Vicki – congrats on 9 years!

Jane – congrats on your health! Hope Mom is ok, and son too! Thinking of you.

Katie – so nice of you to share with your friend, ! funny I wore a borrowed dress to my dad’s funeral so many years ago, had not remembered that until I read your post.

May goals:
    Walk every day
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – had a friend visit for a couple of days – went to our big second hand store (Savers) and for $23 got 3 pair of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots – all very gently used. Score!

Week 2 – had Mom for a 4 day visit, tried some new recipes, salmon, shrimp and clams…. Yummy. Did a new walk with the dog that had a long tough hill, and we made it!

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Made some sugar free protein balls yesterday, having 2 this afternoon for snack. Food = 1293 so can have more protein if needed.
    Yesterday Blaize and I walked upm to Susan's place so Blaize could run himself silly with her 2 dogs Ella and Vinnie. Ella introduced him to her "swamp pit" and the river. Boy was he wet but enjoyed himself. Slept all evening lol
    Today I am doing laundry, ironing, cleaning lounge room and walking dog this afternoon, pizza for lunch. Have cut out coffee except for black coffee with breakfast, and teas except the one on waking, drinking Vitarium hot chocolate now (9 cals)
    Also going to make some BFFM "pumpcakes" for more protein.
    Weird but I can no longer eat much red meat these days
    Getting spreadsheets ready for Tom's Big Burn Monday
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well hiiiiii!
    Been so busy working extra hours and pouting about my Y closing and the job ending. I am caught up to pg. 22 and will keep plugging away until I'm up with you all tomorrow.
    Sharon - Happy Birthday! I'm so sorry about your DH's health issues.
    Joyce - thinking of you and hubby.
    Mary - Booo, no transfer! Yeah, new house! You are handling everything so well!
    Lisa - love the your outlook and attitude about life's lessons and restrictions!
    Heather and Sylvia - so glad you are both enjoying yourselves so much!

THANKS, EVERYONE FOR THE PICTURES OF MOM'S, VIEWS, CELL PHONE COVERS, ETC! I so enjoy seeing them!

I really enjoyed yesterday's water class! The instructor filled the pool with balloons. We did "games" with them! Then she did her corny jokes (a trademark for her) and had the answers written on the balloons. We had to search for the correct answers to the jokes. Here are 2 I remember:

* What do you call a man who won't *art in public? A private tooter

* How do you make a Kleenex dance? Barbie and Heather should know this - Put a little boogie in it!

I am so shocked I can remember these because I never remember jokes!

Today after the Y closed we had a huge cookout for members and staff. There were at least 250 people. It was so good to be able to celebrate a really sad event. So uplifting to see people, say goodbye, and wish everyone well. We all say we will see each other at other Ys but I know some I'll not see again. Life moves on!

Toni in Tennessee
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want to MOST for what they want at the MOMENT

B) Line dance class today was fun, as usual. In the middle of class, I opened the case for the CD with the music for the new dance I was going to teach and found no CD, so I had to improvise. Fortunately, I bring lots of music and lots of step sheets so adding another dance was easy and I was following my happiness commandment "Lighten up" so all went well.

:) My weight is still up from the trip but I am following a few careful eating rules I made for myself and seeking every opportunity to be active so I'm not too concerned.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif23,000 steps today--two hours of dog walking. taught the two hour line dance class and 70 minutes on the exercise bike 194904olsgis3xqe.gif

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
    Resolutions for May (with mid-month comments)
    *walk at least 15,000 steps a day (every day but two, but kept the average high)
    *strength training twice a week (still floundering on this one)
    *act the way I want to feel (this is what made my trip go so well)
    *work in the yard 30 minutes three times a week (several days but not three times a week)
    *write the two letters I've been putting off for too long (haven't started)

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Been swamped for a few days. Been making less than healthy choices but keep trying.

Behind in reading too but wanted to check in.

Tomorrow is a new day

Naiomi2015 in 55F Massachusetts
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    ok end of day check in. Read everything, hope all have a great weekend, although I think it is already the weekend for Lesley... wishing the best for all!

smiles Kim in N. Cal - where it has been in the low 60's for a couple of weeks.... weird weather!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It has been a very busy day and I don't think it will let up until we close on both of our houses! We signed the purchase agreement tonight. Measured the rooms and windows to see what will fit. We are going to have to seriously downsize. It will be a remodel project. Nothing urgent. We will replace all the windows and flooring first. We will rent it for the month of June and get a lot done before we close on June 29th. I love to tile. That is my art work.

Karla - I hope your DH enjoyed his Birthday!

Vicki - that shiner must have hurt. We watch our DGS play baseball tomorrow in a jamboree.

Michele - glad you were able to swim. The chlorine will dissipate quickly.

Kim - you are very talented! I am going to have to try the banana split!

TNToni - sorry that your Y is closed. It sounded like everyone gave it a good send off.

Barbie - good for you! No one probably knew that it wasn't preplanned.

Pip - have fun with your sis!

Sylvia- it sounds like you are enjoying good food and having a lot of fun!

Heather - fish and chips and wine! What more could a woman ask for? Oh, and your wonderful husband.

Have a great night everyone.

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Am caught up o reading but in no mood at all in commenting. You all would not want to read it. All I want to say is to Sylvia, where is that picture of the ocean???? I so need that today. I am finding i have very poor coping skills. Love you all.

Joyce, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Just got in from babysitting the grandkids so my daughter and her husband could see Pitch Perfect 2. Atlanta traffic on Friday afternoon is horrendous. I don't know how people live in that all the time. It was slightly better coming home. I learned lots of interesting things from the grandchildren. The six year old explained the differences in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Apparently certain games play better with certain browsers, and he knows which to use with which. (This is my grandson on the autism spectrum). The two year old showed me how you get a u if you turn an n upside down. I also learned that "I brought home a baby bumble bee" had more verses with other animals. Who knew such interesting things?

On the way home I stopped at the all night Kroger to buy food to make dinner for my friend and her family for tomorrow night. I'm doing my go-to-recipe for funeral meals -- crock pot pulled pork. I was going to make "not your Mama's banana pudding" but there was not a banana to be had in all of Kroger. So that turned into an Oreo cream cheese cool whip pudding thing instead. I'll cook it all in the morning and take it over tomorrow afternoon. I'll add cole slaw, baked beans, potato chips and buns. It should be a good meal.

• pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    Jog- 55.56min, 9.11ap/minute mile, 6mi= 573cal
    Walk/jog w/Janie- 23.09min, 10.44ap, 2.1mi = 223cal
    Other clean decorate- 56.45min, = 126cal
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Getctco5dgwkjoo.jpg
    ti65382mutk8vc.jpg

Getting ready
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot. I'm on dial-up so tough to read all the posts. Thank you to all for the Micheal's tip. I didn't know that they did framing. I'll check it out.

Carey