WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just a quick stop-in. Bronchitis is slowly getting better.
    Lisa: if you want to try squats you could try sumo squats. One of my knees is bone on bone and I can do sumo squats.

Cynthia
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday. Sounds like another beautiful day. So far I am only working until 3pm so hoping to get home and maybe get something done in the yard. DH wants to go riding the motorcycle when he gets off. See what the weather is like. My eating yesterday was better then been in weeks. Happy about that.

Carol--Sounds like you got to see a lot on your first day.

Meg--I saw pictures on the news and FB about the funeral. How sad for her family.

Mary--Sounds like you are getting a lot done for your sale. Pray it goes well for you.

Janet--I have never heard of that choice in tickets, interesting.

Joyce--Sending HUGs. We have a summer swimming day where our DD and family from Beatrice come and the DGC close. Also DH's ex lives with the DD and so she comes. Well last year I decided I was going in the water with the DGC and not sit on the side with her. They are making plans for this year and I am going in the water again.

Lisa H--I love the quilt. Going to be very nice.

Sylvia--Glad you got your new van and like it. I hate when they keep trying to sell you something and keep pushing. Good for you for showing them you could not be pushed around.

Well ladies time to get some work done. Looks like it is beautiful outside, but chances of rain around 5pm.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! Over 800 posts since I last read anything!!!! Well, can't read them all so I'm just jumping back in here. Life got overwhelming; it seemed like all I was writing about here was bad stuff going on.......and that continues, but I'm ignoring it right now. I took a break from MFP and the computer itself for almost a month...........didn't fall off the wagon so much as drove the wagon off a cliff and my body has told me (loud and clear!!!) to get back on track. Thanks to all those who messaged me; your concern is very much appreciated. Baby steps back.

I made eggplant in the oven last night for the first time ever and it was good; nobody else would eat it, but that's their loss. I have leftovers for two more meals.

Today I worked in the yard a bit, went for gas, got my glasses fixed, and went to the grocery store. Had a very tiring weekend volunteering Sat. and Sun. at a booth at a local festival, over eight hrs. each day. LOL, I was the youngest, so did a lot of the heavy work, esp the setting up and tearing down. Great food choices were not exactly available, however, it was good.............my last hurrah, I suppose.

Cynthia............Didn't know you were ill, but glad to hear you are feeling better.

Best too all!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.........sunny, humid, mid-eighties

• Bearwood41
    Bearwood41 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous group, just reading through your posts has motivated me. I choose not to be fat, and will remind myself daily now. Am doing really well with food but the exercise is another matter, so far today only 6000 steps and at 8.30pm after a huge day at work, I won't get many more in.
    So, my goals for the next few days with a work schedule which is mad will be
    Log all food
    Do the 10000 steps even if it means getting up at 5am
    Tell myself daily that I want to be slim more than I want that cake or gin
    Bearwood in berkshire, uk
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ your quilt is going to be beautiful.

Jan ~ so glad to see you back. I think we all go through periods when we have to take a break. Your volunteer work is to be admired.

Terri ~ I am amazed at all the sports your son is into. The idea of a duplex with the parents sounds like a very good plan. I wish we could have done something like that so my mom did not have to go to the nursing home. Wouldn't have been able to live in the same house with her but next door might work.

Carol in NC ~ looks like you are having a good visit to Texas. Hope the conference is interesting and helpful.

Will be going to grandson's Pre-K graduation tomorrow. So glad to have two wonderful little grand kids at my late age in life.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie - Welcome back! I missed you. We all need a break from time to time.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie - where have u been, you've missed all my juice!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie ... We will definitely cheer one another on! Glad to see you back!

Tonight I made spiralized zucchini with garlic shrimp. I really liked it. Now to get it into the database since I have leftovers.

Beth in WNY
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    20,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking in beautiful spring weather
    over an hour on the exercise bike
    two hour line dance class

smiley-happy110.gif I planned my strength training yesterday for the time while I was watching TV with Jake. I tried some different things including sets of sumo squats holding a 15 pound weight on each shoulder. I think I did 60 in all.....and my thighs were screaming today so I guess it was a successful session.

smiley-cool05.gif Katla, you are right about the rain barrel being under the downspout. There is a way to cut and redesign the downspout with an "elbow" to change direction. Since the water will be coming from the roof and rain gutters, it won't be suitable for drinking like actual rainwater straight from the clouds would be. We'll use the water for our flower beds.

smiley-sad010.gif Yanniejannie, I missed you...sorry to hear about all the bumps in the road of your life.

smiley-bounce013.gif It occurs to me that how much you weigh has a great influence on how long you can hold a plank...so when you first start and your weight is still high, you won't be able to hold a plank as long as someone who weighs 75 pounds less. No matter what, do not be discouraged.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Thursday morning and woke to VERY heavy rain. Hope it stops so I can walk Blaize this afternoon or drag out the Wii.
    Did my Wii boxing before breakfast and thinking Jillian's Shred and Jeannette's Circuit B
    Food = 1483
    Stan is supposed to go fishing at Stanley, his gear ready so expect he will go
    My daughter, Karen, is going into Frankston Hospital Friday to have cancer removed and any lymph nodes nearby, then radiation. Hope all goes well.
    We have a rain water tank and we filter our water before use for drinking, only water we have
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Bicycling update: hubby moved the seat forward about an inch and I took the bike for an eleven mile spin. Feet hardly tingly at all, elbows and shoulders good, hands better but not perfect. Of course the butt hurts more! So still need to fine tune it. The air was fragrant with springtime blossoms and the sky had big puffy clouds. Now resting at home and I think we are about to have a real impressive rainstorm! Night night everybody.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all. Finally! A lovely day here. It was in the 80s and sunny. But more rain is coming. Not much going on today for me; did some garden work after I got home from a short day at work. Fed the birds. We have our annual nests in the back on a pergola rail and in the front in a hanging basket. I don’t mind the one in the back but the one in the front bothers me because I’m afraid to water it for fear of drowning the birds.

Annr: you are right; lots of those people are looney! I am a complete morning person and am awake at 4, but too dang lazy to get out of bed. I wish I could get there. I struggle to make a 9:00 water aerobics class in the summer!

Michele: sorry to hear Vince may need another ablation. We do lots here and I know they can be long!

Janet: sounds like a speed trap!

Joyce: I am so sorry about the dilemma with the water park!!!!!

Kal900 good weight loss!

Italy: why are you cleaning after everyone else makes food? Send them to my house! I’ll get them in order for ya!  (ps you don’t know me well; I am the mean mom!)

Katla: what a fun visit with people who sound so interesting!

Lillian: glad you are better but don’t over do!

Jules: so sorry about the missed exam! My office days are pretty sedentary so I have to make up walking to do; when I copy or print I walk around my square, I go for a 10” walk after lunch, park far away, etc.

Pip: which sleeves did you get? I got copperwear from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and they are ok, but to keep them up on my knee, I put an ACE wrap underneath them.

Janet: good news on the weight loss…probably lots of sodium!

Carey: thanks for the thoughts!

Lhannon: beautiful fabric work!

Sylvia: so smart of you to google that maintenance plan! Congrats on the new car!

Mary: I have bifocal contacts with the outer ring all the way around being near vision and far vision is the bigger, center part. They not only come in the exact prescription, but then you can “tweak” them to high, medium, low something-or-other. I went from medium to high and they are fabulous! I can send you the name of them if you want.

Vicki: I hope you got that ride in while the weather is cooperating!

Yanniejannie: that’s a ton of posts to try to read! :O You were missed!

Bearwood: I think I said welcome yesterday but if not, welcome now!

Bkrimpet: glad the bike is set better for you

Well the hubster and I are going for a walk in a couple of minutes. I’m behind in my step count for the day so walking was my choice for exercise! See you all tomorrow. Take care my friends, Meg from Omaha.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on the rebounder. The plan for tomorrow is to do Personal Training with Jackie DVD

Janet
    - sorry about the ticket. You were probably wise to take the larger one, tho

kalona
    - congrats on the weight loss. What a loss!

Mary from MN
    - yes, I did follow a pattern. What I do, tho, is put this stuff "saf-t-bak" on the back. when it dries it turns rubbery. I put that on one rug that I made and decided to use it on this one mainly to hold the stitches in place.

katla
    - are your friends still with you? If so, enjoy!

Carey
    - thanks for responding to ma5y. I totally forgot to yesterday

pip - we all need a day of light to no workout, just not every day. I never go by the calorie burn on the machines, either. I just thought of something -- do you take your bike grocery shopping?

Janet
    - they might very well suggest the procedure for Vince. See, he had it done about 10-12 years ago. His heart kept going into a-fib so the doctor just called it. He has problems with his back and won't be able to lie on it for hours like you're supposed to after the operation. I know this is one thing that he'll discuss with the doc if he has to go for the procedure

Jules
    - total bummer.

Lisa - great looking quilt. You know, I x-stitched this lap quilt and then quilted it. I just didn't find quilting to be relaxing at all, to me it was more of a chore. Plus, I had the hardest time with the binding. Now my aunt was a FANTASTIC quilter. Hand quilted everything. She made a quilt for each of the kids and then made one (king size) for us.

Sylvia - good for you googling that! Congrats on the new van, may you have many wonderful years in it

Off to the pool right now.

Went to ceramics. Put the second coat of paint on the top of his body and the third coat of paint on the underside of his body. I even got one coat of paint on his tentacles.

Supposed to volunteer at the Green Room tomorrow. Then I'll probably come home and go in the pool for a bit then to Aldi.

yaniejannie
    - welcome back!!!!

bkrimpet - so glad your hubby adjusted your bike for you. But I'd still go to a bike shop if I were you. When I first started spinning, the worst part to me was that my rear end hurt. But now I can go an hour and not feel it at all. You will get used to it

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day, believe it or not, i didn't push the bike ride:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.49min, 13.8amph, 2.9mi = 75c
    spin- 40min, 86ar, 77aw, 9-11g, 9.8mi = 245c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.26min, 12.7amph, 1.3mi = 58c
    ride wk 2 tan - 59.03min, 11/3amph, 11.1mi = 461c
    wide tan 2 hm - 6.12min, 10.1amph, 1mi = 62c
    total cal 901
  • pipcd34
    Options
    bkrimpet - i agree w/exermom - you still should take your bike to get fitted for you. when i got my first bike, we didn't know any better and the salesman said as long as you can straddle the bike without hitting it you were ok. spring back to when i got my hybrid bike and was actually measured for it and he saw my bike that i had been using for about 14 years, he asked if i had any back or neck problems and i said no.. he was surprised cuz the bike i was riding in was meant for someone who was 5'10-5'11", i'm 5'5". just recently, on my hybrid i just felt that my stride was wrong/off, i took it to my bike shop mid last year and he said i had a long femur and just tweeked the saddle and now it's better. basically, if you're going to be riding a lot, you really should get fitted for it.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. Rough day today. We had to put out 15 year old cat to sleep. He's been sick for a while with renal failure but it got to the point where we knew he was not himself and was uncomfortable. We know it was the tight decision, but it was not easy. RIP Sebastian. vejbqusmt6k0.jpg
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie! Welcome back. <3

I took my three grandkids and one step-grandkid bowling this afternoon. I didn't bowl, but I was still exhausted! Four kids are so full of energy. They like the new van better than the old one. I'm getting used to driving it, but it still feels bigger than the old one. I got most of my drafting done this morning, but still have a few things to do tomorrow.

We walked the dogs this evening and Spot got so muddy that we hosed him off on the front sidewalk. He was not happy about it, but he didn't bite me like he did when I tried to give him a bath, so that's an improvement. He loves puddles so much he's just going to have to put up with it.

Here is today's joke of the day:
    :)

A widower who never paid any attention to his wife while she was alive now found himself missing her desperately.

He went to a psychic to see if he could contact his late wife. The psychic went into a trance.

A strange breeze wafted through the darkened room, and suddenly, the man heard the unmistakable voice of his dearly departed wife.

"Honey!" he cried. "Is that you?"

"Yes, my husband."

"Are you happy?"

"Yes, my husband."

"Happier than you were with me?"

"Yes, my husband."

"Then Heaven must be an amazing place!"

"I'm not in Heaven, dear."

:D

Have a great evening!

Sylvia

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Todays TOPS meeting went really well! I was down 1.75 lbs, so I was happy about that. We had about 37 people attend losses were 35 lbs/gains were 21 so we were in "the blue" and so that was postive. I had made a posterboard that had 189 squares for people to sign if they lost, plus the bell to ring for people to cheer you. When the poster is all filled up, then the leader opens up the envelope in the back that has a number. That person gets their dues paid for the next month. (We are all about the incentives!) Our accordin lady was the program, and so we sang some TOPS songs.... (my favorite to the tune of "Clemintine" was "No More Eatsa Little Pizza"...I am a singer so I harmonized kind of like on Hee Haw hahahaha). A friend brought me more tomato plants so I will plant them tomorrow afternoon after swimming. I brought 4 lonely looking radishes, because one of my other friends gave me the seeds and so I put them in a tupperware container labeled, "To My Fran, grown with love!"
    On the way home I stopped at my garden and picked more of my huge spinach leaves! I made some wild rice flavored with some chicken stock, a tsp of bacon bits, and olive oil (plus ceyanne pepper), and the fresh spinach. Love cooking like that! I feel like I should live in Tuscany in a villa.... My dream is that STING the singer will invite me over to stay and sing with him for a wee bit. My dream sadly doesn't know what to do with his wife, (but that is beside the matter)......
    So I will continue this kind of eating, lots of spices to fuel my tastebuds, lots of veggies to chop, saute', and munch on. Some pasta, Dave's Killer bread, and Tillamook yogurt with fresh fruit.
    I have thrown out my granola bars. I agree it was a fun thing to make, but having 30 bars in your frig is too much of a tempation for me. Because I made them with Gharidelli chocolate pieces it made them squares of heaven, but eating too many made my insides cranky.
    Presently my 16 yr old is over at a seniors house down the street doing a video project that they are partners on. She is a senior....and a girl, so I will quiz him when he gets home...
    @lhannon062709 I was about to throw something at the tv today when I watched the show. It was very emotional, but alot of it staged. Maybe the emotions were real and all, but the writers do help them say what needs to be said.
    @megblair1 I am so glad to meet a fellow lazy soul sister! I guess if we whine, and struggle BUT still go and swim or exercise its all good!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JulesAtkinson: It sound like you’re in high stress mode at work. I hope you’ll be able to get some down time at home.

Carey: I’ve been retired for about three years now. It took time to learn ow to go on without the familiar routine and work friends. Now I’m enjoying things much more than I can ever remember, partly because I made it a goal.

Lisa: I love the quilt design. It is striking and lovely.

Sylvia: Good move to end the harassment of the “closer” at the car dealership. When we bought our car the guy tried to talk us into financing through them and double payments. We said no thank you in no uncertain terms and told him our financing was arranged already. Things went quickly after that. I hope never to shop in that dealership again.

Mary: I want a travel trailer if we ever get anything. I have never been in a motorhome that didn’t rattle and bang me to distraction. My friend did show me how she keeps silverware and dishes from rattling.

Chris in MA: Welcome back from vacation.

Yanniejannie: WELCOME BACK! You’ve been missed.

bkrimpet: I’m happy your DH was able to adjust your bike to fit better. Yay!

Dr. Katie: I’m s sorry your kitty was suffering. You did the right thing even though it must have been difficult.

We had a lovely visit with our friends and they are now headed north. It was so good to see them. I missed yoga this morning, but spending the time with friends was more important. They planned to stop and see someone in Olympia, so we told them about our two favorite restaurants there.

My Sweet One Hundred tomato plant has set about half a dozen itty bitty green tomatoes! Yay! All three of my blueberry bushes have set fruit, too, but it will be awhile before any fruit is ripe enough to pick at my house.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie: :'(:'(:'(