WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    0t5e9q8q4df6.jpg
    Here is a picture of the washcloths/ coasters I crocheted over the weekend for DD. the one is white with purple and the other is green and white. I started a post on my computer but have gone to lunch so will finish it after my workout
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I would take you and your bike to a bike store where that spa all they do and see if your bike is a measured for you right[/quote]
    I did get this bike a long time ago from a really reputable shop and with a knowledgable husband in tow and have ridden it sporadically through the years. Maybe getting older has something to do with my tolerance for the problem? It looks like one answer might be bar ends on the straight handlebars so I can have more places to choose to change my hand position. It sounds like being able to change positions frequently helps mitigate the problem in some people. So that is on my agenda to ask the bike shop guy. Also, I could try out some other styles if that does not work.
    Apparently there are many people with this problem, judging from the posts on the Internet. Thank God it goes away when I get off the bike, so I don't think it is something to worry about.
    And I am impresed with anyone who is a year-round cyclist -- living in one of the snow capitals of the country does not make me inclined to do that, but I have visited Montreal in the winter and those bicyclists are unstoppable!!! And Buffalo featured some "ice bikes" this past winter and they were a huge hit.

• leal536
    leal536 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would like to join your group.

I just started with MFP and Fitbit to track my eating, exercising. I started last week on the 21st and here it is, 5 days later and I am already down 4.5 pounds! I would say that this is the most success I have had in this century! I recently retired and am ready to make the last part of my life BETTER for me! My goal is to lose weight (I have 100+ to lose) and become more active (my job was a sit down job at a computer for the last 15 years). At this time, my initial goal is just to track my food, be more conscious of what I put in my mouth and the health benefits (or not) of what I eat; get moving (Fitbit will encourage me I think) and gain some fitness overall. I have teenie tiny goals - I will lose 15 pounds by the time my oldest grandson turns 4 - July 27. I want my goals broken down into something achievable in the short term and not have to look at my overall goal of 100+ pounds - eeks - that does not sound doable. But...15 pounds at a time, yeah, I can do that. Since I have been sedentary for so many years (due to my job as well as my weight) my initial fitness goal is to first get to 5,000 steps each day and work up from there.

Any and all encouragement is welcome.

Leanne - Western Washington
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Heather, Joyce, Michelle, Lillian, Cynthia, and Sharon ~ Crossing fingers and saying a prayer for all of you that health issues for you and loved ones will be addressed and overcome soon.

Katla ~ Is that you on the horse at the beach? How lovely and freeing.

We had to drop my Honda off at the dealer today to have the airbag replaced. Seems like thousands of cars are needing this. The man at this particular dealership said they are doing at least 30 a day.

Waiting for my camera battery to recharge so I can get to work.

Everyone have a great day.

Carol/Peach
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Terri ~ your wash rags/coasters are so cute. Love the idea of flip flops.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I was able to take a breather and go swimming today. I will catch up on the posts and then back out to get the moving sale hopefully completely ready today for Thursday opening.

Joyce-I am so sorry about Charlie's UC. It is as hard on the caregivers as it is on him.

Dreamwriter-keep us informed about your kidney. (((Hugs)))

Heather-I hope everything goes well with your husband. It sounds like you are doing well with your weight. You don't need your safety pounds. With your determination and great food choices you will get them back in no time.

Lillian-I'm glad that you're coughing up stuff. I hope you get better really soon. It's hard to stay down when it is planting season

Lisa - I hope that setting your calendar to go off works for you. I did that for about six months and it didn't work very well.

Kayla - have fun at spin class!

Bkrimpet - everybody is talking about bikes! Now that we are buying a house on the bike trail I will have to start thinking about getting mine ready. I would like to purchase
    Street strider which is in elliptical bike. Does anybody have any information on that bike?

Leeanne-you already join the group by posting! Nice to meet you. You will get a lot of motivation and support from the ladies on this thread.

Terri - very cute coasters!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Carey – Thanks for the Inspiration. Sometimes I forget “positive talk” for myself, even though I’m good at giving it to others.

Carol/Peach – Hooray for the Jewelry.

Sylvia – I hate to hear stories of “bully” salesmen. I’m so sorry you had that experience. I hope you sore throat feels better soon.

Annr – Helicopter Nudist Mom is hilarious ! ! ! Thanks for continuing to share such an interesting part of your life.

Michele – Hugs for DH and his heart trouble.

Beth – a hearty welcome to your son. I hope MFP is a success for everyone in your family (and for everyone here in general ) !

Joyce – Hugs for your DH and his UC.

Allison – I feel your pain regarding being busy around a Holiday. The 3 days before, everyone calls for the simplest of symptoms, because they don’t want to be sick for the Holiday. Then for 2 days or longer after, because they either got sick or injured over the weekend. It amazes me how every person who calls thinks they are the only person to call. The absolute next opening we have here isn’t until Wednesday, and they literally ask me “what am I supposed to do until then?” I offer you HUGE hugs for tolerance (and accept them back).

Ihannon – Very nice plan for moving. The people whom I work with do the same thing for me, and I appreciate it a LOT !

Well, DS not making the baseball team has lit a fire under everybody's caboose. DH is planning to bring him to lift weights whenever the weather isn't good enough for the batting cages. I told them they can come any/every night at the time I finish work, because it would also give me another excuse to exercise a little more. They are also going to work on his pitching skills and speed (weighted balls). DS admits that he never gave the coach an opportunity to see him play an outfield position, so he will remember to play multiple positions at next year's try-outs.

I did great over the weekend, including plenty of extra time on the exercise bike while DS and a friend did some weight lifting. Then last night I was unable to sleep, so I did a bit of grazing, so my weight has stayed the same. Now, back to clean eating (except for the absolutely delicious sliced chicken I got from the Deli recently).

I know there was more I planned on typing, but leaving for lunch made my brain empty, so . . .

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where it is raining again and 63 degrees)
  • JoanMichelleAmena
    JoanMichelleAmena Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Thanks for the PGA golf commentator’s observation about everyone making mistakes. So true, and biblical too. I remember when we were first married 32 years ago, our pastor told us that our spouse would disappoint us at times, and that to make our marriage work, we would need to be prepared to forgive and give 150% at times when the other person was giving less than 100%. At that time, I was so young and in love, I couldn’t believe that my husband would ever disappointment me in any way. Needless to say, through the years, I have found that my pastor’s observation, like the golf commentator’s, was right. Also, Disney World in your future! We are Disney fanatics! I think 16 visits since 1979. I will envision you and your family there, healthy and happy. May it be so. Glad you are feeling better, and praying your DH will get straightened out soon.

Sharon - Waiting for medical test results can be unnerving. I have let my imagination get the best of me before. Hope you are able to banish the worry from your mind and expect good news from the CT scan and endoscopy!

Cynthia - I know you’re ready for that cough to be gone! Take care and glad the Dr. visit helped!

Janet - Congrats on being able to purge those large sizes from your closet. I have 6 sizes in mine! Yes, I may be a bit of a hoarder! Hopefully, I’ll be doing the same next year!

Naiomi - semicolon drive = ?

Heather - No matter how tired I might be when DGD leaves, I find myself missing her within hours. Sending prayers for an excellent outcome for DH!

Terri - I don’t know what planks are, but I must not be ready for them yet, because they sound intimidating, kind of like water boarding to me…

Mary - Congrats on the new house! Sounds so wonderful! I can’t bear to think of downsizing because I want to have room for grandchildren to play at family get togethers. Great that you got a large home with land for less than the house you sold.

Lisa H - Sorry to hear about the heartbreaking floods in Houston area. We visited W. Texas a few years ago, admired the beauty of Palo Duro canyon and watched a play there.

Cindy - Congrats on your success so far! Your analysis is very reasonable, and really can’t fail to get results! I’m just getting started so it’s beneficial for me to hear your approach.

Grandmallie - tell us more about that kitchen redo! Best of luck with that!

Carey - Thanks for the quote about how attitude determines how we live our lives. I steal my own joy sometimes!

Annr - Cuddling is not overrated. Good idea.

bkrimpet - Last time I rode a bike I felt like I had birthed an elephant. I’m impressed.

Katia - The sailing sounds lovely, though I’ve never tried it. Love the picture of sail boats in harbor. We ride a pontoon boat on a lake here.

Carol/Peach - Washrags will never be washcloths in my mind either. Too many years and too many washrags have come and gone.

Survived the family cookout by eating only a small one inch square of incredible pound cake. Loved the grilled meat and veges, and watermelon though. Went to movie theatre to see Far From the Madding Crowd, just a decent film, a few too many moony lovesick looks between couples, and not enough dialogue between the characters. Slept terrible last night. Anxiety over my daughter’s situation and upcoming surgery, several nightmares, and a couple of hot flashes messed up my sleep. I’m determined to get a grip on that anxiety! Time to revisit my May goal of praying and living out the serenity prayer!
    Doing great with eating healthy foods like cantaloupe and vege soup, but I need to get up off this couch and exercise, as soon as I finish my book club selection A Spool of Blue Thread for the meeting tonight!

Joan in Alabama
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,871 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Still working on packing up the house. Cat to vet today to check on tick bite that will not heal and to get advice on sedation for move to WA. We have an old dog kennel that we have fixed up with a small litter pan and a cushion for traveling. We will let her loose only in the motel at night. Dog will go in on Friday to get yearly shots and checked over before we move. It seems like I have packed and packed and there is still so much crap in this house. I would love to just get rid of it all and start over at the new place but that is not financially feasible.

Heather - Wishing DH well and a speedy recovery.

Sylvia - Sorry about the salesmen. Hope you find the car you are looking for. Keep the jokes coming, I need those laughs.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue who will not be in SD much longer.
  • terri_mom
    Options
    Joan - Planks can be as difficult as you wish them to be. Basically, you assume the push-up position, and hold it. I started with the easiest, which is both elbows and both knees on the floor, with body straight. Then I do similar on each side, elbow and side of leg on floor, and lift my hip trying to make my body straight. I find them harder. Eventually the goal is to have your core so strong you can be in the full push-up position on hands and feet, and only 1 hand and 1 foot for the side. My DS does his front planks with one hand and one opposite foot only on the floor. It's a good idea to take this slow and from the beginning, and working your way up slowly. It also helps me if I set a goal and also set the timer on my cell phone.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,654 Member
    Options
    skkuehn - where in Washington are you moving to. i'm in Washington, by seattle (Tacoma)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy tues.More rain,rain on and off the last 3 days.
    Had the air con guy come to check why it wouldn`t go on,some switch in the furnace,Who would know.
    HUGS jane
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thank you for all the good wishes for DH. It means a lot. :flowerforyou:

We are back home and he is feeling OK. It was impossible to stay with him as they are very strict about that, so I had to hang around in Winchester for 6 hours. I spent a lot of time at my favourite restaurant having 3 starters, queen scallops, mussels and snails. I had no bread and did not soak up the garlic butter. I had a glass of blanc de blanc. :D I reckon all that for 500 cals. I rang the hospitsl at 5pm, but he had only just come out, so I ended up having 8 oysters at another place. 150 cals. As I had done my 600 exercise and walked around for 1 hour 40 minutes, I think I burnt it off. I have just had my evening mesl of prawns and squid. Do you think I like seafood? ? ? ? ? :laugh:

DH is savouring a cup of tea and will soon have a cake - vanilla slice. His sister is coming earlier than expected and will be here at 9pm, so she will need feeding. I can make a scratch meal for her. :D All seems well.

Tomorrow morning I must do some exercise before I pack and get to the train station. Hope I have time. I will have to leave the sister to get her own breakfast I think and just get DH's. We are always awake really early; she somewhat later. I hope to do a lot of walking in York and will try out the pool, though I think it is a bit small.

I went walking round Winchester to look at houses and apartments. Found a couple of perfect places, but I doubt DH will want to move. I am happy where I am, but would not want to stay there if anything happened to DH or maybe when I am old. It is soooooooo expensive there, especially if you want parking. I love it though. There is something very special about an old cathedral city. That kind of architecture lifts my spirits as much as beautiful countryside does. :smile:
    :smile: :love:

Hope Lilian, Cynthia feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Bye for now, a relieved Heather in Hampshire. UK
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Best wishes and hugs to all those who are dealing with health issues right now. 6790.gif

I made it to Tai Chi today, now I think I need a nap before the grocery shopping.

Thought for the day: “I’ve had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened” – Mark Twain

All the best,

Carey-Edmonton
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Heather - I think you really like seafood!! :)
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Everyone doing their exercises makes me want to do something - I think I will go and take my dog for a walk.

Terrible when one starts to feel better and they are not quite 100%... so I will take it easy. 30 minutes with weights.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke:

:)

A man appeared before St. Peter at the pearly gates. "Have you ever done anything of particular merit?" St. Peter asked.

Well, I can think of one thing," the man offered. " On a trip to the Black Hills out in South Dakota, I came upon a gang of high-testosterone bikers, who were threatening a young woman.

I directed them to leave her alone, but they wouldn't listen. "So, I approached the largest and most heavily tattooed biker and smacked him on the head, kicked his bike over, ripped out his nose ring, and threw it on the ground." I yelled, "Now, back off!! Or you'll answer to me!"

St. Peter was impressed: "When did this happen?"

"Just a couple of minutes ago"

:D
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,649 Member
    Options
    Mary – DARN it all! I am sorry, here’s hoping for the new house…. Later – you found one!!! Great!

Heather – Glad you are back in your routine… I really followed your example and have everything pre- prepped for my company this week…that now may cancel…

Barbie – I have a 5 gallon bucket in my shower that I collect the cold water in as I am waiting for it to get hot, I picked the big bucket so 1. I could not miss it. And 2 so even with sloshing it would not spill, I empty after every shower, either on to the yard or potted plant or I dump it in the washing machine, I don’t have a high efficiency machine (too pricy) so this works too.

Carol/Peach – have you worn progressives before? I had a horrid time with mine, but was going to get used to them no matter what, then I miss judged the distance between me and the desk leaned down to get something and knocked myself out… (10 + years ago) got over my vanity really darn quick and have had traditional bi-focals ever since.

Pip – neon orange, so it is you glowing in the Northern sky!!!

Meg and others about the CA drought, well first is the understanding that we do not have summer rain, so our rainy season is late Oct – end of May. On an average year in my town we should get 24-25 inches of rain. Rain year 2014-15 we had 14 inches, and 2013-2014 we had less. And the state overall has been in low rainfall totals for 4 years. So now we are supposed to stay at or below 55 gallons per household per day. For some way to compare that a regular top loading clothes washer doing a extra large load uses 32 gallons. A shower uses 5 gallons a minute… so here is your day 1 five minute shower for 2 people (50 gallons), coffee and water to drink (1 gallon), and 2 toilet flushs = you are over your allotment.

Sylvia - the teacher and Jonah! LOLOLOLOLO

Joyce – when is the boob squezzze ?

Pip – little or big that ring is very very pretty.

Walk every day
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – had a friend visit for a couple of days – went to our big second hand store (Savers) and for $23 got 3 pair of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots – all very gently used. Score!

Week 2 – had Mom for a 4 day visit, tried some new recipes, salmon, shrimp and clams…. Yummy. Did a new walk with the dog that had a long tough hill, and we made it!

Week 3 – reconnected with my hiking friends and hiked Brushy Peak. Also made divinity as a test run for a candy class I am teaching this summer, excellent, and even better gave most of it away.

Week 4 – finished one more portion of my front yard “re-model”

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Well Good Morning. I started reading and catching up yesterday and then we lost our power and I lost my post. So starting again today.
    It was a nice weekend. I loved having 4 days off in a row. We went out to my mom's on Friday. Did get a lot done while there and brought home things she wanted us to have. One is her cedar chest. She has had that since she was in high school. So last evening DH and I went thru what was in there and put some of our things in. It was a good weekend and so glad we went. Changed my picture to one we took of my two sisters, mom, brother and I.
    Weigh in this morning was not good. I have to get back on track and log everything. No excuses.
    Friday before we left they had called and told DH the motorcycle was fixed. So we went to Columbus and picked it up. Yesterday we took several rides and sure enjoyed that.

Sharon--Sending prayers and hugs.

Mary--Hope you are doing well on the down sizing. This last weekend when we were cleaning out mom's garage. My dad was a closet horder. There was so much JUNK in the attic. And of course there was not just one of most things but several. Makes me want to keep cleaning and getting rid of stuff at our house. I so have to get into the spare room and get cleaning. It is almost to the point you can not see the floor. I realize that most of it will be gone next month as we have all the sign in stuff and packets for our CMA rally. They are planning on 2500 so I have all that in there and I still have to add things to each packet, so will start doing that in the evenings. Rally starts June 5th, so best get busy.

Toni--Glad to hear your mamogram went well. I think part of the reason they are not as painful is because they do them in 3-D and it gets a good picture.
    Congrates on getting the Y job.

Heather--Sorry to hear about your friends. Sending hugs and prayers for all of you. Sounds like you are enjoying the time with the grandbabies. I am glad to hear DS didn't realize what was going on until they were there. What a cutie!!

Cynthia--Sure hope you feel better soon. Glad to hear it is not whooping cough.

Meg--It sounds like it would be neat to see all the blue. I feel for the family and the baby. I am thinking it will be a very large funeral. I think all the things they are doing for the family is a good thing. I hope they keep it up as the child and the other children need to remember what a speical person she was.

Sylvia--Glad you got your sleep and weight is down. Enjoyed you bike picture.

Carol--Hope all goes as planned with your trip.

Mary--I agree. God has something better for you. Good to hear about your house. Sounds like a great place.

Kim--Sounds like your yard is going to be beautiful

Rori--Sending a big HUG!!

pip--Your nails sound cute. I have some purple with glitter and love to wear that. Just saw the pictures. love the color. Happy B-lated Birthday! Your ring is beautiful. My wedding ring is a band and then at 10 & 20 he got me the rings with little diamonds and they are on each side. I love it and it is personal.

Allison--Vent all you need to, you do so much, we are here for you.

Sue--good to see you post. Pray all goes well with your move.

Katla--Glad you enjoyed your time on the boat.

Michele--Love the Christmas tree skirt. Bet they will enjoy them.

Teri--You are very talented also.

Once again I am caught up. Hope you all have a great rest of the day. I am working a couple hours longer today as person following me called in. So will end up being a long day. A friend was in the hospital so at lunch DH and I went and bought some flowers. Well when he was ready to take them up to her room found out she had checked out about 20 minutes before. So will take them by her house on the way home from work. Then not alot planned for the rest of the evening as work tomorrow. Over the weekend DGD and I started doing squats. I am up to 50 a day. She is 7 and did a lot more. I can really tell it in my legs so that is one thing I will do this evening. DH did some with me last evening. He found out they are not as easy as he thought.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    9natjf9u4ewt.jpg
    The story of my life.