WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Sitting out in the freezing cold today for our moving sale!

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @pipcd34 My husband and I use the grocery store as a trail, and walk all the isles. Even the dog and cat food isle, and we don't own a pet! He is my voice of reason, and I make sure he doesn't sneak anything into the cart... So I don't buy any fluff food. He is addicted to a marble/rye bread, but only buys it once in a while.. We hold hands and kiss every couple of isles like lovers do, HAhahaha.. Ain't love grand?
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago, and just saw this discussion today. I didn't have time to read it all, but want to join. This looks like a terrific crew.

I'm 63, in New Orleans, work at a sedentary job, trying to get moving.

Lisa - that is indeed a gorgeous photo. What kind of bird is that?

Sympathize with Mary; I hate cold weather. Good luck for the yard sale!

pipcd34, very cool about the MS ride. Ver' nice about the coffee. After losing 3 carafes to a fumblefingered brother-out-law, I bought a machine with a metal carafe. It's also insulated, and keeps the coffee hot for hours. Oddly enough, it has never, as far as I know, been dropped.

Lisa and cityJane, cool to meet other writers. I'm a full-time newsie; also sysop emerita at the Internet's oldest site for readers and writers (started, I believe, in '71 or '72; still going strong); also write limericks for a peculiar and quixotic website aimed at defining each meaning of every word in English in limericks.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    @pipcd34 My husband and I use the grocery store as a trail, and walk all the isles. Even the dog and cat food isle, and we don't own a pet! He is my voice of reason, and I make sure he doesn't sneak anything into the cart... So I don't buy any fluff food. He is addicted to a marble/rye bread, but only buys it once in a while.. We hold hands and kiss every couple of isles like lovers do, HAhahaha.. Ain't love grand?

that is sweet!

• pipcd34
    Options
    well, i'm back., put the load in the dryer, hooked up the dishwasher (we have a portable one), let them out to pee, now i'm off to go workout... i'll figure it out as to what i'm gonna do when i get there. later peep-squeaks
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC - welcome! it's noon and I am still freezing!
    My husband got out a space heater and put it by me. I'm starting to feel a little warmer.

Mary from Minnesota
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Made it to yoga this am, then late breakfast with friends, then off to farmers market. Bought a mint plant and some great Baby Swiss cheese. One of the stands had baby goats!!!! Love goats!.........nope, didn't buy one. Yoga teacher came along with us and brought a friend who was visiting from Sweeden, lovely woman.

Listening to Sirius oldies station, currently Neil Sedaka, Breaking Up Is Hard To Do.

Pip..........I have friends doing an MS ride today......this one is held on the Eastern Shore of Va. When is yours?

Lisa .........Fabulous bird pic, hmmm, don't know what it is either. Will try to check in my book.

Welcome newbies!!!

FYI...............Michele (and other pool owners and sun worshipers)..........On my last visit to my surgeon I asked if he thought any sun screen brand was better than others and he said to get products with Helioplex.........Neutrogena has it. It's something that makes one of the usual sunburn fighting ingredients effective for a much longer time. He seemed pretty enthused about it.

Sunny, mid 80's......nothing new there!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Got it!!!

Vermilion Flycatcher. Adult male.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yanniejannie!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Cool... thanks, YannieJannie! I had wandered around in the western tanagers until my eyes crossed, and never found him... I'm hoping he and his mate have babies nearly grown. He had taken up residence nearby, but we found him or a competitor after one of the recent storms, flat out on the driveway. This country's hard on the little guys... We get a wide assortment around the house, because when they built them 30 or 40 years back, they planted pines, pecans, apricots, figs and other trees around all the houses. Pulls birds in from miles around.

Lisa from West Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options

smiley-happy110.gif
    The month is almost over, so it's time to take a look at your May goals and see how you did.....if you can't find them and don't remember them, then your first goal for June is to keep them on your fridg or desk top or something so you don't lose the June goals....then write some June goals and be ready to share them with us. I am considering waiting til some of you post your goals to get some new ideas....mine seem to have been the same every month for awhile.

smiley-cool05.gif Our "date" this morning was to go to Home Depot to get the necessary items so Jake can install the rain barrel....we walked a lot but didn't stop to kiss in the aisles....I think he would like that....now he is installing the rain barrel and I am trying to figure out how to time lunch so it will be ready when he comes in....I am ready to eat, but eating without him when he's working so hard would be hostile.

smiley-bounce013.gif Welcome Janet and Jen, this is a great community and we hope you'll join in the conversation.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Howdy peeps! Not much going on today. We are going out to dinner with some friends later so it’s been a quiet day. DH has a bad cold so he’s been doing some yard work interspersed with sleeping.

DD#1 continues to create drama; I don’t know how someone who doesn’t live with us can disrupt our lives so much. We have put strict limits on her behavior around us, but now DD#2 needs to do the same. DD#2 blew a gasket last night and turns out #1 has been texting her nonstop for 3 days about a photo CD I wanted from the other grandma to make copies of baby pictures, but DD#1 would not call or text me to get it; instead she was throwing shrieking text fits at DD#2 including texting her constantly while DD#2 was at work and ending with demanding that she leave work to go find the BF and drag him back home. OMG. I really encouraged her to set the same boundaries with her sister but she feels sorry for her and feels like she doesn’t have anyone for support. I said it was like dealing with a drunk; that person never sees the need to make changes until he or she hits rock bottom. We’ll see.

Janet: tons of signs and advertising in the paper were what made our sales successful. We have a whole section (you probably do too) dedicated to garage sales with maps and driving directions, etc.

Mary: I use Air Optics multifocal Aqua lenses by CIBA vision. They come in different resolutions and I use high (that’s in addition to the actual correction)

Joyce: I don’t think you can be too conservative worrying about clothes for those tweens. What is in the stores is atrocious.

Heather: your vacation sounds lovely and I think you don’t need to worry about a few extra calories!

Kim: we are chatty, aren’t we???

Sharon: fingers crossed for good biopsy results

Cynthia: I had a lot of trouble with my bifocal contacts until I got the high res contacts and they are perfect.

Katla: good sleep is a good thing isn’t it?

Lillian: FROST>>>!!!!!?????

Terri: maybe a change in your exercise routine would help? I’d love to see that bowling alley. WE limited each kid to one activity and it was one at a time, so nothing overlapped. That was my sanity keeper!

Tere: can I come work with you in your shop?

Carey: hopefully that weight gain is all sodium and will disappear. Same happened to me after the graduation party and eating leftovers for three days, I was up 2 ½ pounds, but it was gone in 5 days.

Lhannon: all girls glow, right? I do like the honey dripping off the hive! Great picture!

Annr: nice to have walking buddies!

Carol: quiet but sneaky! Gotta love it and now I wonder what all he was doing during class! 

Yanniejannie: do you use fresh or dried mint? I am going to have to try that!

Alison: so sweet!

Sue: keep packing away! I’m sure you are so excited!

Sondre: I can’t wait to hear how your steps are going! I have a fitbit one and love it.

Sylvia: I’m going to pretend I am your DGD and come for that fabulous food at your house!

Michele: Vince might exercise???? My DH does some but I wish he’d do more.

Joyce: I think maybe you are right about the amusement park You two take care!!

Pip: good for you on your money raised for the ride!

Annr: you two sound so cute!

Janet: welcome to the group

Well someone wrote something about spell checker changing things and that reminded me of when I was in grad school and wrote my first paper. I had a brand new computer (back in the day when pcs were a fortune…I had to take out a loan to get it) and was so proud I learned to use it and spell check. So I turn in this paper and of course I think it is the most brilliant thing ever written on holistic nursing care. When I got it back, it didn’t have a grade. The professor said “You might want to re-read this and turn it back in.” So I get home and start reading and…..everywhere I had written “holistic” the spellchecker changed it to “whole wheat” and all I did was scroll down and accept all the changes without looking! So much for my brilliant paper. Whole wheat nursing.

Ok I need to go make pictures from this silly cd so I can give it back to DD#1. Good grief. Take care, Meg from really chilly Omaha
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Checking in....and out.....Mowed this morning - planted my bedding plants in their pots. But will leave them in my greenhouse until after the full moon on June 2nd. Only planted 3 pots out of 9 so far.

Feeling kind of in a funk.....maybe I should just go for a walk with my dog... only have 7046 steps so that would give me over my 10,000.....

So later then
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Hey peeps, just finished working out, sipping on a iced latte b
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. Going to be a good day! Went out for lunch with my stepmom and brother yesterday. Then last evening a group of us from our CMA group went out to eat. So between Perkins and Buffalo wild wings I was over. But enjoyed the time spent with family and friends and sometimes that is the important thing. Working today and only I and one other person and we get along great, so planning a good day at work. First thing this morning I had a couple doctors having temper fits about the computers not working fast enough.

Lesley--Sending prayers and hugs for you and DD.

Sondre--Welcome, You have come to a great place for support for friendship. Come often and post. We are here for you.

Joan--I listened to a speaker at one of our CMA rally's. He talked about giving money to people on the street and his wife would get upset and tell him they are just using it for drugs or beer. Roger said that long as he gives it with a giving heart it is between them and God what happens next. So I try and remember that. DH and I try and give when we see someone. Sometimes I still wounder when I see them there day after day after day.

Joyce--I agree that girls are dressing older at younger ages. Makes me sad to see little girls all made up. I say let them be little girls. Sending hugs for you and prayers for DH.

Cynthia--moving the graves?? That seems strange and yet sad.

Allison--What great memories. Glad DFIL remembered her.

Yanniejannie--So glad to hear DD was not hurt worse. I also get upset when they make a point of letting you know they did not put the tip on the bill.

Michelle--I agree when the sale is done take down the signs. It drives me crazy to realize the sale was last week or last month. When ever we have a sale I tell DH to make a list of where he put the signs so we can go back out and pick them up.

Meg--Hope you get the pictures you want. Sending hugs for you and DD#2.

Tonight we have church so be a short night and I am back to work at 6 in the morning. Looks like the sun is shining. Have to stop at Hobby Lobby and pickup rit's purple dye. Sounds like we will be tie-dying shirts tomorrow evening.Love you ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing garage sales: http/www.garagesales.com

Helps you advertise.

The last time we had a sale it was a bust.

Meg, sorry for all the drama with your DD. Probably all of us mothers have gone through some of that. We certainly did and do with our son.

This is my little sneak....

6cgbwlf9tmy7.jpg
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Meg, is whole-wheat nursing better than white bread nursing. LOL! That story is great.

Great day here. I got up early and walked from 6 to 7, then went to Atlanta to a candidate forum. Had a great time hanging out with my Methodist peeps. Maybe it wasn't my most brilliant idea to have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory. Then home to find that DH has supper in the oven.

I intend to get a little work done sooner or later, but right now I'm enjoying the peace and quiet of my sunroom.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I came home and there was a pkg for me! Kirby and I got a long sleeve wicking shirt for being one of the first 500 people to raise the $250 minimum!!!! Never did that before!!
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? Sorry I've been a bit MIA this week. Was finally feeling a bit better from a stomach virus from last week when I started with what I thought was a cold. Then was feeling worse so I thought maybe the flu. Ended up having a severe case of strep throat :( And to make matters worse I gave it to DH which means the world must stop turning.....ughh men, they can be such babies.
    Anyway, May has been a bit of a wash for me and any goals I have set. First visiting my parents for almost a week, then getting a stomach virus, and now strep. Here is to hoping June starts a lot better. But, 3 of my kids have birthdays this month (I know great planning...lol) and we have Fathers Day, all of which require dinners at my house prepared by yours truly. Oh well, if I'm doing the cooking at least I'll be sure there are some healthy choices here.
    I got a Fitbit for Mother's Day, anyone want to add me as a friend. I can't figure out how to add people by their profile link. And so far all I use it for is counting my steps. Maybe I should actually try reading the online manual :smile: anyway here is my profile link in case you want to friend me on Fitbit: https://www.fitbit.com/user/3F77VZ

Linda (Fredericksburg, VA)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    tell u what peeps, i was NOT in the mood to run on an incline. days like these is when i am proud that i pushed thru it. i am surprised that i even burned that much!

today, we are going out for my 2nd free bday meal!! mexican!!

stats for the day:
    rowing machine- 30min, 8384meters or 5.21mi = 191c
    jog- 34.56min, 3.5incline whole time, 11.16ap, 5.1-5.6speed every other song w/6.1speed burst, 5k = 305c
    jump/skip/sidestep - 20min = 201c
    total cal 697