WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    F.Y.I. - Kids bowling shoes starting at $24.99 . http://www.bowling.com/kids-bowl-free/?trk_msg=J1BUU627I5247D9SQOSP99T9C8&trk_contact=6NH02DARQ0LPM553LBGAU0NVIC&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=kbf&utm_campaign=5-29-15+Need+new+shoes?+Can't+Miss+This!

I have only bought rosen balls, shoe covers, and rolling bags from this site, but delivery was quick for our orders. (Yes, we spend a lot of money in our house on bowling supplies, so if you don't want/need this information, I completely understand).
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Carey-Edmonton: Thought for the day: “Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows.” – Michael Landon

This was just for me and exactly right. We are attending so many funerals that I have a dedicated outfit to wear and its so sad! So I am proceeding forth....just printed some stuff from the internet. The first order or business is ordering a new laptop or desktop (I haven't quite decided yet).

[/Katlab]: Thanks for telling me about the shop owner's experience. It supports what I thought.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Husband and I were out on the trails this morning at 9am...met some TOPS friends and walked for an hr. Everyone did really well. My husband did his own walk, and let me walk with my friends. One is getting over ankle surgery, so we walked at a slow pace. Slow enough for chatting which was nice. Hopefully I can get a walk in this weekend and go a bit quicker. I didn't want to exit from the pack this morning, that would have been rude. There were 4 of us, so it was a long enough walk that I got my legs warm and exercised.
    My plan for the upcoming week:

Saturday morn: tidy apt, organize pantry make list for Sunday.
    Sunday: long walk in the grocery store
    Monday: Morning walk with TOPS pals
    Tues: 30 min lap swimming/ tend garden
    Wednes: weigh-in at TOPS walking afterward with husband
    Thurs: 30 lap swimming/ tend garden
    friday: Morning walk with TOPS pals

I am still using ceyanne pepper & tumeric in 80% of what I am eating. The upside is that I am drinking my 2 liters of water no problem..haha go figure...

@bkrimpet When I work in the garden I am so sore the next day! But it does make me feel like a pioneer woman!

@lhannon062709 You rock! Such accountability and dedication in your exercising!

@SSC1958 Try spicing up your meals more.. I have been using ceyanne pepper and tumeric and it really adds some heat (plus making you get in your daily water intake). No worries on the +2 lbs, you will shed that in no time..
    @terewilliams Great determination I hear (see) in your posting! You will get where you want to be, and do what you will have to do, to make it happen. Gift baskets are so personal and everyone loves getting them. What about some sort of questionare when they order one, so you can get items that the reciever will think, "wow that person really gets me, and what I like".

@Lilymay2 Sorry to hear about your Moms' fall! Sending healing thoughts from Oregon to you <3

@DamitJanit Good luck on your yard sale! Towards the end of all of my yard sales I get a bunch of paper sacks and put a sign out saying 'Fill a bag for $5'. That is great for books, movies, or clothes, or toys. At least you get $5 right?

@CynthiaT60 With the cemetary , are they moving the graves and the headstones? Sadly I have heard horror stories about cemetaries only moving the headstones. Are you a photographer? Every year in October, they have "Talking Tombstones" where people dress up as historical figures that have passed and talk about their lives and how they shaped the area. Very informative and interesting.

@jmkmomm Haha...I always show my age. I have this cool grey streak that frames my face! When our KOA camping area had free swimming for the local seniors in our area over the fall and winter months, I went along with my pals from TOPS that were in their 60-70's because I could. Plus I rememorized my birthdate, not that I really needed to... shhhhh...

@fanncy0626 Sadly the granola was made with dark chocolate....10 ozs of dark gharedille's 60% cacco. I used the whole bag because I didn't dare leave half a bag in the pantry!
    Well husband bugging me to get off the computer to eat lunch...laters folks.
    Becca on the beaches of Northern Oregon...
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Evening!

I keep reading off and on but haven't caught up on all the posts.

Went to grand son's pre-k graduation yesterday and they were all so cute. The teacher did a fantastic job with these children. They sang several songs and each child got a certificate and a parting remark. Unfortunately, my GS's was "he's very quiet but sneaky." Yes, that does apply to this child. LOL I would never have the patience to work with 4 yr olds. Son brought the 3yr and 4 yr old today and we played and went down the side street to look for horses that board back behind us. Only saw one and it was fenced in far back from the road. They picked me wild flower weeds.

Got my second pair of no line progressives this afternoon and I feel a lot more comfortable in them than with the first pair I returned. I can see the computer screen a lot better. Think it's all in how they actually fitted the glasses before putting in the prescription (does that make sense?).

Good thoughts for all of you and family members having physical problems. There seems to be quite a bit going on among all of us but guess that comes with age.

Carol/Peach

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone; thanks for the warm welcome back!!! Had one of my favorite summertime treats this am........watermelon chunks sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and mint, delicious!

Tried a plank last night......50 seconds, down from a solid 2 minutes, need to work on that.

pip........Yes, I certainly did miss your "juice"!!!! LOL!!! You ARE a "pip" and I do enjoy you.

Lesley.........Sending thoughts to your daughter that her surgery went well and she heals rapidly. Hugs to you.

drkatie.......Condolences on the loss of your kitty, Sebastian.

Katla.......DD had a horse that someone else was leading to the barn spin around and land a perfect kick to her hip last night; took her off her feet flying and she landed in a ditch; has a very painful perfect bruise from his shoe. But where is she today?????? Riding, of course. Ahhhh........you horse people! Enjoy your lesson today!

Beth.......Thought of you (or rather, your son) on Monday; got awake between 4 and 5am with an awful migraine; had to miss a morning memorial service.

Heather.........Your trip sounds fabulous (as always!!!).

Kim.........Love your very effective car buying method!!! How smart. WTG!

Carey........Michael Landon was a favorite of mine. I remember the last appearance he made on late night tv and how he spoke so touchingly about his diagnosis.

Does it irk anyone else when you pay with cash after a meal and the waitstaff asks if you want your change? I had this happen again (!!) last night and it just makes me see red........and, reduces the tip they do get. It seems awfully presumptuous to assume I don't want change from a twenty when my bill is eleven........that would be a huge tip!!!

Best to all!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.......sunny, upper 80's today

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    going through DGD withdrawl... even though I only had her for overnight,its never enough,, but we had a nice time, she had me sleep in with her and I read her bedtime stories from an old book that my mom read to me, and her mom read to her.. she loved it, grandpa asked her how it felt to be home, and she said , it is always the best when I come home, and she truly means it... she thinks this is her home. and I am glad.. dropped her off this morning after we went out to feed my DFIL , and bless his heart he remembered her.. didnt remember her name but he said hey there is the cookie girl, when he lived in his own house and we went over they would always share oreo cookies.. so that was nice, and then I stopped where I work with her, and of course they all love her too..
    know they are gonna have a busy day tomorrow but sure wish we could spend more time.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Annr: I'm assuming they're also moving the graves, because apparently they are going to build houses there (!) and there'll have to be some kind of foundation....

Yanniejannie: irks me too!

Cynthia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Kim great way to buy a car.

Lillian sorry for mom's fall.

Last day to sub this year. I had a nice class to end the year with.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Katla- sorry about the miss spelling of your name. My phone corrects words that it thinks are spelled wrong. And they call it a smart phone LOL

Mary from Minnesota
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: It is raining here today so put a crimp in the plans I had for moving things into the front of the horse trailer in preparation for moving. I have set a goal today of packing 100 things, have got about 50 so far into boxes or donation pile. Packing the final set of dishes and will be eating on paper and plastic from now on. Ran into a slight glitch with the mortgage insurance underwriting but they promised it will be fixed by Tuesday and we can sign.

Katla - The lady who currently boards my horse and her DD are going to haul my horse in my trailer to WA for me about a week after we get there. That will give us time to get at least a little settled. They will vacation on the way back to SD and I am paying for their gas. I can pack the front of my gooseneck trailer with whatever I like and the back will hold the horse and extra hay so she does not have to make a sudden change in food. I am putting all the horse things up front and also things that we will not need right away.

Pip - We are moving to Snohomish, WA north of you. Actually we have 10 acres between Snohomish and Monroe.

Janet - We leave here June 4, planning on three days on the road and hope to arrive late afternoon on June 6.

Sylvia - We took our dog to the vet today to update shots and make sure rabies was okay for traveling. When we waked in there was a lady with two whippets at the counter. They were sure cute, nearly identical looking and I bet they could outrun my standard poodle any day!

Annr - Some pools have lap counters available, you might have to ask. There is also a lap counter that fits on your finger available from Sprint Aquatics online. I have counted laps in the past and know about how long it takes me to swim a certain number of laps so sometimes I just swim for time and know that I have done at least that many.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Now back to the packing. Sue still temporarily in SD.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    nice weather - guess i'll ride home today after work. will have a heavy backpack... ughhh, why do I put myself thru this... more calorie burn right?
  • pipcd34
    Options
    skeuhn - wow you're rich!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday morning and spoke to daughter Karen on the phone. She has had breakfast and Phil was with her. She had lump and some nodes removed yesterday and sounds OK. Waiting on surgeon as she may be able to go home tonight. She sounded fine.
    The Bene fibre is doing its job and losing total weight again. Lost 2 kg since Monday 18 May.
    Food cals = 1669.
    Training: Wii boxing (done) Jillian's BFBM and Bob's kettle-bells, walk dog after lunch
    Rained all night. Blaize dog loves walking inn the rain, daft dog, as long as towelled when he gets back
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Cynthia – so glad you went with your head held high! And moving cemeteries is a bit weird it happens here occasionally. But photos of the original place would be so valuable.

Terri – Love the comment about more life insurance and mourning in Maui.

Tere – That is a great idea! I got laid off in 2008 and have my own business now – I love it! Sometimes it is stressful, but when I get stressed I just remember some of the OMG situations when I worked in an office and feel so grateful that I am in charge.

Heather – finished Windows, it is really thought provoking, I loved the last line!

Today I worked in a client’s garden for 3 hours this morning and then did some embroidery this afternoon, but also found time to take a 45 min – relax in the yard with Levi.

I had a friend visiting on Tuesday, Wed, Thursday… and on Wed. we went on a walking tour in San Francisco – it is called City Guides and there are tons of different walking tours run by volunteers, our 2 hour tour was in North Beach – Little Italy… so fun and interesting! Did you know that Chinese fortune cookies were developed in San Francisco by the Japanese Tea Garden, and a Japanese cook – who knew!?

May goals:
    Walk every day
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – had a friend visit for a couple of days – went to our big second hand store (Savers) and for $23 got 3 pair of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots – all very gently used. Score!

Week 2 – had Mom for a 4 day visit, tried some new recipes, salmon, shrimp and clams…. Yummy. Did a new walk with the dog that had a long tough hill, and we made it!

Week 3 – reconnected with my hiking friends and hiked Brushy Peak. Also made divinity as a test run for a candy class I am teaching this summer, excellent, and even better gave most of it away.

Week 4 – finished one more portion of my front yard “re-model” and went on a free “city guide” walking tour in San Francisco.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I don't know how to explain black bones... but here goes. When they x-ray you - normal people have white bones. When my mom is x-rayed the bones are grey outline and very dark grey on the inside. The Dr's have given her various calcium builder pills trying to get her bones to absorb more calcium and not be so brittle.... Well good grief Dr's - she is 80 and the years of calcium not being absorbed properly is not going to get fixed in her lifetime!!

So when I went to see my mom she was up and moving around and very cheerful....and so would we all be if the Dr gave us morphine!! At least she can move and she is breathing deeply so the pneumonia shouldn't happen...fingers crossed.

I mowed lawn for 2 and half hours at my mom's house. We have hired a guy to mow but he doesn't do the trimming and neither does anyone else.... so Lillian did that today. 15,000 steps later ...done. Now I will go out and do the trimming on my own lawn because I see hubby is almost finished mowing

Oh...and 2 of my tomato plants froze last night and 2 didn't ...Jack Frost will probably get them tonight!!! And then I can go to the greenhouse tomorrow and buy some more....YEAH ...I like going to the greenhouse.

Later everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • pipcd34
    edited May 2015
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.39min, 13.9amph, 2.9mi = 66c
    jacobs ladder- 15min, 936feet = 122c
    run/walk- 15min, 5incline whole time, jog, 5.0speed, 4.1speed walk/skip, 5.6speed, 4.1speed walk, 6.1speed, last min. 12.38ap, = 136c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.06min, 11.6amph, 1.3mi = 60c
    ride wk 2 tan- 59.27min, 11.1amph, 10.9mi, hvy bag, windy!! = 461c
    ride tan 2 hm- 5.56min, .9.7amph, 9mim hvy bag, windy!! = 61
    total cal 934
  • lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi friends. Boy am I boring! The excitement for the day was grocery shopping. Woo hoo. I just can’t make myself accomplish anything else! Starting Monday I’m planning on going to a water aerobics class on Monday and Friday morning; we’ll see if I can get my butt out of bed. We had to order sheets from the college for DD#2 because all their beds are a “special size”. sounds like a scam to me!

Michele: I wish I had half your energy!

DrKatie: I’m so sorry about Sebastian. What a gorgeous cat. I have become an expert on the subcutaneous fluids for cats in renal failure. Every cat I’ve had eventually got it except one. It is still hard though. About a year ago, we lost our 19 year old cat. Amazingly enough, this cat was the one who always had totally normal renal function.

Sylvia; great joke! I bet those kids did wear you down. I’m laughing about the groovy kitchen!

Annr: I agree! All good!

Katla: hooray for home grown tomatoes!

Joan: great dedication!

Heather: sounds like you are having a grand time

Joyce; hooray for a headache free night!

Beth: sorry you didn’t feel well last night!

Janet: I love garage sales, but as my parents moved and scaled down, I got everything. At one point, our 5-car garage with 25 foot ceilings was so full I could barely get my car in! we have had multiple sales and at one, we were still opening boxes at the end of the fourth and last day! Now I’m kind of tired of them LOL

Tere: so glad you had a wonderful vacation!

Carey: good job at the restaurant. I always look up the menu before I go out.

Fastforlife: congrats on the nsv!

Terri and Pip: thanks for the info on the compression sleeves!

Terri: I like agave nectar; it has a lower glycemic index than honey.

Alison: so glad the visit went well and dad was happy

Vicki: I am sorry you are having such troubles at work. (((hugs)))

Italy: I’ m sure that weight will come off quickly!

Sondre: welcome aboard! Come back often and post. My tip would be to get a fitbit or some other type of step
    tracker. Wear it for a week, average your steps and add 500 as a goal for the next week. Very doable! I started at less than 2000 a day and now my goal is 8000 and I usually make it.

Does anyone know anything about how Suebdew is doing? She lives in Texas and I wonder if she is having flood problems.

Well I’m about to head to bed. Sleep well and take care my pals. Meg from Omaha

• lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Meg, thank you for the warm welcome and the get started exercising tip. I will look into some type of step tracker this weekend. Sondre
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Long day. Grandkids all day. First at the studio, playing with clay, then lunch of egg salad sandwiches, cherry tomatoes and grapes, then swimming at the Y (it was raining hard all day long). Then, they came over for dinner. I made meat loaf and scalloped potatoes, canteloupe, corn on the cob and pineapple. Afterward, I let DGD#1 make chocolate cupcakes. She enjoyed that. Now they are home, and I'm in my jammies, ready for bed.

Tomorrow I'm going to Kansas City with a friend, and I'm driving the new van.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Syliva
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie: I’m so sorry your DD was kicked in the hip last night. I’m not surprised that she’s riding today, but expect she’ll be giving that horse a wide berth in the future. She’s already bounced back, and it took me a week to get over lifting a saddle onto the horse’s back last week. I don’t usually notice my age, but riding does make me aware. :grumble: Today’s riding lesson featured trotting over uneven ground and posting for an hour. I’m thinking VERY fondly of Tennessee Walking Horses at this moment. :heart: :laugh: (For those who aren't into horses-Tennessee Walkers do not trot.)

Alison: Granddaughter time is precious. :flowerforyou:

Sue: I hope your packing and trip goes well. It is great that the lady who boards your horse will bring it along in a week or so after you arrive. She must be a very nice person.

Lesley: Your daughter’s situation sounds positive. Blaize is a very good sport.

Kim: Your fun activities are fabulous. I bet they’re helping your whole life seem more enjoyable.

I spent much of the afternoon scrubbing sooty looking mildew off of a boat fender (bumper). It looks much better. The next step is coating it with a UV protectant and then putting it back on the boat. My riding lesson was the reward for hard work, and the riding lesson itself is also hard work. I’m here to tell you that riding a horse is a LOT more fun than scrubbing mildew off of plastic. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png