Calorie counting doesn't work according to a new study. Apparently.

Options

Replies

• FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My sister lost weight counting calories. My mother lost weight counting calories. My best friend lost weight counting calories. They all have kept it off for years. I have lost weight counting calories.

Maybe some day they find another magical way to lose weight but that doesn't mean counting calories doesn't work.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much better my gut flora apparently got once I started eating at a deficit.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    So finally just made my diary public. I don't eat quite enough (trying to get to maintenance but with my new habits I'm very full most of the time, and both mentally and physically can't bring myself to eat really small, calorie-dense foods as I tend to be hungry for too many calories when I do that), but even when I was just doing between 1200-1300/day I was fitting lots of "junk" in my diet and hitting most of my nutritional goals.

I have cake, pizza, pasta (REAL pasta not just konjac), taco bell (really, the only fast food I find worth it. My home made burgers taste better and tiny diced and baked crispy potatoes are tons better than fries IMHO), ice cream, etc, etc in there. But I also have lots and lots of veggies and lean meats. THIS is what people mean when they say they can eat junk and still lose weight and even be healthy.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

Why do you assume that no one actually had done their research and that you are far above the rest of us?

ILU

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Once again, negative comments, has anyone done any research on this subject?. Typical.

The title is misleading. Being a person who had severe digestive issues for 6-12 months. I did my research on the subject. Gut health is probably the most critical part for the human body to function properly.

Why do you assume that no one actually had done their research and that you are far above the rest of us?

ILU

Same.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.

Better yet - eat McDonalds ONLY for ONE year. No salads - just their core foods, burgers, fried foods - ONE year - and come back and tell us how you really feel - WITH blood work - before and after. I double dare you.

They did it for 30 days on Super Size Me...was interesting. They knew it would make him fat and raise his cholesterol. They DIDN'T know how badly it would damage his liver...

Yeah, Spurlock ate at a calorie surplus and gained weight-surprise surprise. On the other hand- Fat Head is a fun documentary, where a comedian eats only fast food and not only loses weight, but also improves his blood panels. Because shockingly, he ate at a calorie deficit and also bumped up his exercise which burned more calories. Go figure.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Oh Pu, dear Pu. Tell me how my gut bacteria can create energy out of nothing to make me fat when I'm not at a surplus.

Better yet - eat McDonalds ONLY for ONE year. No salads - just their core foods, burgers, fried foods - ONE year - and come back and tell us how you really feel - WITH blood work - before and after. I double dare you.

They did it for 30 days on Super Size Me...was interesting. They knew it would make him fat and raise his cholesterol. They DIDN'T know how badly it would damage his liver...

Yeah, Spurlock ate at a calorie surplus and gained weight-surprise surprise. On the other hand- Fat Head is a fun documentary, where a comedian eats only fast food and not only loses weight, but also improves his blood panels. Because shockingly, he ate at a calorie deficit and also bumped up his exercise.....which burned more calories, which created weight loss and better health. Go figure.
    This is further demonstrated by the twinkie experiment. And the results that can be concluded: obesity has a greater impact on blood panels as compared to type of diet and food influence.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Magic is pretty effective though. Have you ever seen a fat unicorn? I rest my case.

sticker,375x360.png

OMG!!! That's a pregnant unicorn. How can you not tell the difference?!?!??? That's so insulting!!! You're a horrible person and I'm reporting you to the Magical Animal Mistreatment Society (MAMS for short).

Lol. Love that you found a fat unicorn picture. Might make your internet search history a little weird though. Hope you're not at work.

Please stick around.

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    fat_unicorn_by_sparklingwalrus-d58sqmr.jpg

@ShareenaFulton This unicorn is fat. She admits it... :lol:
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »

She's not fat. It's the perception that damn media has forced on her. She has a completely skewed sense of a healthy body now, especially when she has to compare herself to the unicorns in movies and magazines like this one...

the_last_unicorn_by_skinny_fox-d5o8v71.jpg

I mean, just look at that unicorn. It's obviously been photoshopped. No unicorn could ever have legs that long and thin. Ugh, we think we've got it bad when it comes to body image. Lets just all take a moment and reflect on how much worse our magical equine friends have it.

(Now I'm the one with the dodgy internet history. Damn it!)
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

She's not fat. It's the perception that damn media has forced on her. She has a completely skewed sense of a healthy body now, especially when she has to compare herself to the unicorns in movies and magazines like this one...

the_last_unicorn_by_skinny_fox-d5o8v71.jpg

I mean, just look at that unicorn. It's obviously been photoshopped. No unicorn could ever have legs that long and thin. Ugh, we think we've got it bad when it comes to body image. Lets just all take a moment and reflect on how much worse our magical equine friends have it.

(Now I'm the one with the dodgy internet history. Damn it!)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Magic is pretty effective though. Have you ever seen a fat unicorn? I rest my case.

sticker,375x360.png

OMG!!! That's a pregnant unicorn. How can you not tell the difference?!?!??? That's so insulting!!! You're a horrible person and I'm reporting you to the Magical Animal Mistreatment Society (MAMS for short).

Lol. Love that you found a fat unicorn picture. Might make your internet search history a little weird though. Hope you're not at work.

Please stick around.

^^This. <3

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Acceptance is the first step.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you eat wrong, then you will be wrong.

This is actually a really bizarre and disordered-sounding thing to say.

I have mentioned before a book called Fat Loss Happens on Mondays. While I don't think this advice is particularly new or unique to the book, one thing I liked about it was the firm separation between how you eat (which could further or not further your goals) and who you are as a person. Beating yourself up because of how you eat, deciding that it makes you a good or bad person is not approaching it in a mature, logical fashion--as the book recommends, eat like an adult. That means both considering your goals and stuff like nutrition AND not making it into a moral/human worth issue. Someone who knows she's a perfectly good, lovable, competent person even if she eats in ways that she considers counterproductive sometimes is almost certainly going to be better able to make good decisions and eat well more often than someone who makes it into an issue of being good or bad or, as you say, being "wrong" or being defined by her eating choices.

Similar advice is given to people who struggle with emotional eating, often, or even binging. It makes total sense to me.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2015
    Options
    All, as much as a like the unicorn and horse pic, please circle back on topic.

ps - I will delete all pictures going forward that aren't on topic.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Eat 1500 calories of cake for a year and come back and tell us how you really feel. The reason you won't is because you know that can't work. I double dare you.

Today's word is strawman.

I have the blood work and dropped weight to prove it. It's proven methodology. You are the strawman.

Ted, your bloodwork proves nothing. People who eat the foods you eschew in moderation also have fantastic bloodwork.

I eat a diet comprised mostly of foods that paleo eaters won't eat... dairy and legumes. I also throw in a little treat every night.

When I started on MFP, I had high cholesterol. Simply from losing 38 pounds? I've lowered it into normal range with good ratio.

The bottom line? Losing weight is what improved your blood work.

Yep-I lost almost 60lbs while still eating fast food a few times a week (and no salads-fries, Big Macs etc), and I also did NO exercise at all during my active weight loss phase. No only did the weight come off but my blood work improved-including my glucose number dropping from the pre-diabetic range back to the normal range. Where its stayed for two years now. I have excellent cholesterol numbers, my blood pressure is fantastic, I have no health issues at all and I look pretty decent in a two piece swim suit, for being an almost 37 yr old mom of three kids. It really was as simple as calories and math for me and I'm now successfully maintaining.

I'd actually love to do a year Mcds challenge, unfortunately I couldn't afford to do it. But, I do eat out 2-4 times a week already (and weeks like last week it was almost every day), and I have absolutely no problem maintaining my weight loss or continuing to be in good health. So yeah-if anyone wants to send me a years worth of Mcds gift cards I'll take the challenge ;)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm disagreeing with you.

Then your statement below...
    The statement actually deals with the fact that a runner who is making good nutritional choices will tend to out perform a runner who is not." is false?

... is wrong. You can outrun a "bad" diet. Because people typically think bad = processed foods such as pizza and mcdonalds. There are many factors that affect the performance of one athlete. And as demonstrated by people like Michael Phelps, diet isn't as big of a factor.

What I was disagreeing with in that statement was that "bad diet" as meant by the "You can't outrun a bad diet" assertion has anything to do with calories. "Bad diet" is talking about nutrition.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

The statement actually deals with the fact that a runner who is making good nutritional choices will tend to out perform a runner who is not." is false?

... is wrong. You can outrun a "bad" diet. Because people typically think bad = processed foods such as pizza and mcdonalds. There are many factors that affect the performance of one athlete. And as demonstrated by people like Michael Phelps, diet isn't as big of a factor.

What I was disagreeing with in that statement was that "bad diet" as meant by the "You can't outrun a bad diet" assertion has anything to do with calories. "Bad diet" is talking about nutrition.

interpretation is subjective.

I always took that to mean you can exercise all you want but if you are not in a deficit you won't lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    His grant must have been running out. So NOW he has some BS theory to study.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

interpretation is subjective.

I always took that to mean you can exercise all you want but if you are not in a deficit you won't lose weight.

Agreed. In fact, I rarely have ever seen it referenced in regards to nutrition but rather if your diet is crap, you won't lose weight.
This discussion has been closed.