What I ate while losing the FIRST 150 pounds

Options

Replies

• _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while being morbidly obese is easy. i should know i was pushing 300 at one point. trying to hit your goal weight while eating like that with any regularity is going to be next to impossible.

It doesn't look from your profile like you have a whole lot of experience reaching a goal weight. Maybe you should stop talking and listen to the people who actually did achieve weight and body composition goals after being obese.

thats my point. im further along in losing weight than the OP. in the beginning i was eaitng a lot less healthier and losing weight was easy. i still ate fast food for example. but as the weight came off that became harder and harder and i had to really start to regulate what i ate.

as for my profile pics fwiw they are from december. i stepped updating and using mfp for that once i found something better.

You just stayed to be rude and condescending to people who have made great achievements?
  • persistantone
    persistantone Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No matter how you slice it, losing 150 lbs is a major accomplishment. It takes enormous motivation and effort to keep on the track and get to where he's at. Hoss is boss.

The message is the correct one: you can eat what you love, as long as you do it in moderation. If your goal is weight loss, you can eat whatever you like as long as you can keep your calorie deficit. Keeping a deficit means either limit the quantity of food or increase the amount of exercise, or both.

Each of the food pictured easily has 4-digit calories if taken in full portion. He either takes a small portion of them, or compensates by doing heavy exercise, or both. As long as he can eat what he loves, he can make this a permanent habit, a lifestyle. Staying healthy is a lifestyle, not a diet.

True words! And to the OP, you're pretty awesome! Congratulations!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Losing weight while being morbidly obese is easy. i should know i was pushing 300 at one point. trying to hit your goal weight while eating like that with any regularity is going to be next to impossible.

It doesn't look from your profile like you have a whole lot of experience reaching a goal weight. Maybe you should stop talking and listen to the people who actually did achieve weight and body composition goals after being obese.

thats my point. im further along in losing weight than the OP. in the beginning i was eaitng a lot less healthier and losing weight was easy. i still ate fast food for example. but as the weight came off that became harder and harder and i had to really start to regulate what i ate.

as for my profile pics fwiw they are from december. i stepped updating and using mfp for that once i found something better.

Claim you're better'n someone. Check.
    Claim alternatives besides your method of choice can't work. Check.
    Give an excuse for why your profile pics are entirely underwhelming. Check.
    Unable to lift much or do anything impressive athletically. Yet to be determined.

you seem to be quite infatuated with me. at least i put up a profile pic. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Well should Hoss find himself on a plateau, I'm sure he might consider "clean" eating as a new approach, but that doesn't mean that what he has done already was "easy". It just means that he found a way to achieve it.

You shouldn't poo-poo on others successes just because they were achieved with methods other than what you chose for yourself.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I miss the Waffle House! All those 3am stops. I need to move back down south!
  • mmcape
    mmcape Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That was a great post! It is also good to know that you can be that successful at weight loss and still enjoy some of your favorite things. Good luck getting the rest of it off!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude, but

Oh yeah, ONLY sweetness follows this kind of phrasing. Only. Sweetness.
    seeing all these types of foods at once made my stomach hurt. :bigsmile:
    Maybe it's just a matter of perception - seeing all the pics in only one sequence - but still. Too much fried stuff (yikes!) to my french-trained taste; no fresh, raw veggies (yeah onions are veggies... fried in this case)! (Ah, Americans! :wink: )
    Or maybe you just meant to point out that one doesn't need to restrict as long as there's a deficit?

Anyway, congrats for your great success so far!
    And there it is. (Ah, stereotypical French-trained condescension! :wink: )

Fortunately, the French clients I've taken out to dinner in the Southeast have very much enjoyed the flavors and the introduction to American wines. Most French are not like this. It's like hearing the most obnoxious New Yorker in traffic and saying all Americans behave that way.

Chardonnay paired with Macaroni/cheese is awesome.
    Syrah/Shiraz paired with BBQ is awesome.
    Pino Gri with fried Green Tomatoes is awesome.
    Pino Noir with Shrimp and Grits
    Zinfandel with Gumbo
    I think the French need a little more training...:flowerforyou:
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Congrats Hoss!

For the naysayers on his food choices…I’m guessing he is pointing out that if you’re signing on to lose weight by subsisting on watercress, iceberg lettuce and the occasional Tic-Tac; you will not have success in the long run. Learn to eat regular food in moderation (which I still struggle with), move your butt off the couch and you will succeed.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    you seem to be quite infatuated with me. at least i put up a profile pic. :)

When I try to downplay the successes of others and make it about me, I'll put one up too.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Claim you're better'n someone. Check.
    Claim alternatives besides your method of choice can't work. Check.
    Give an excuse for why your profile pics are entirely underwhelming. Check.
    Unable to lift much or do anything impressive athletically. Yet to be determined.

This is MFP Forum posts in a nutshell.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

You just stayed to be rude and condescending to people who have made great achievements?

damn. thats really not what i was trying to do. i really was coming from the mindset of a cautionary tale. something along the lines of ....yes you can lose weight eating like that but at some point it has to be reigned in significantly. i really am sorry if it has come across as being rude.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I need your home address because I am moving in!

We both are!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Well should Hoss find himself on a plateau, I'm sure he might consider "clean" eating as a new approach, but that doesn't mean that what he has done already was "easy". It just means that he found a way to achieve it.

You shouldn't poo-poo on others successes just because they were achieved with methods other than what you chose for yourself.

i'm pretty sure Hoss is already washing his food and strictly adhering to the 5-second rule.

(right-click -> view image) to see full picture

0138_Germs.jpg

http://www.jahenry.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/0138_Germs.jpg
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I would make a strong argument for the fact that if you NEVER eat the stuff you like that is "bad", then you are actually setting yourself up to fail.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. Please give me your menu. The lack of southern food here in Korea is killing me.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight-loss. Really! Great work!

Just want to add that not everybody could eat those foods and lose weight. A common misconception among many MFPers is that everyone is like them. OP, you weighed over 500 pounds! You're male. You're youngish. We are not the same. I could never eat those things, not even a smidge of those things, and lose weight, as an older lady with not that much to lose.

But thanks for the purty pictures of food. Looked like a selection from Thisiswhyyouarefat.com.

Sounds like the "everybody is different", I'm a "special snowflake" syndrome...you could eat these things and lose weight if you ate within your caloric deficit. There is nothing in tthose pictures that - if you ate a "smidge" would cause you to gain weight. It's eating too many smidges that are listed in Thisiswhyyouarefat.com
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Chardonnay paired with Macaroni/cheese is awesome.
    Syrah/Shiraz paired with BBQ is awesome.
    Pino Gri with fried Green Tomatoes is awesome.
    Pino Noir with Shrimp and Grits
    Zinfandel with Gumbo
    I think the French need a little more training...:flowerforyou:

Yes! Great pairings!!! I need to print this off to reference later!
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I want that red velvet cream cheese cake. :love: Ben and Jerry's makes a Red Velvet Cake ice cream with swirls of cream cheese and it is to die for. (But unfortunately Ben and Jerry's contributed vastly to my weight gain so it's a no-no for me. I only do low calorie frozen treats now but I enjoy every bite.)
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bravo and major props to you!!!! I too have not given up some of the foods I love, it's all about moderation and exercise. I work out hard so that I can enjoy those foods sometimes. It keeps me going! Keep up the amazing work!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You were morbidly obese.
    You still are.

You were eating like crap before.
    You are eating like crap now.

Let me get this straight - making a post about processed, fried and unhealthy food is in fact helpful to the countless number of people on this site trying to lose weight?

Oh I get it - jeez am so dumb at times, nah it's actually eating less of the same crap ( moderation please ) the way to go.
    Yep gotcha :-)

At the weight you started - you will lose weight even if you cut down ONE single fried onion from the crap you are eating - get this you are FAT.

Isn't this suppose to be some kind of lifestyle change? Where's the change? Give it a year, give it two years, give it five years, you will be back to where you started.

Like many others, we will see a post from you too -"Back Again".

If I am mean, so be it.

Now let all those superfit, super toned people, who lift super heavy and eat pizza and ice cream every thing day have a hissy fit at me. I couldn't care less. You know why? Look below - do you see a ticker? None. Never had a weight problem. Never will. And I speak in absolutes.

Do you see a ticker below majority of the people who will be having a hissing fit at me? Plenty.

I wish you luck. I wish you good health. Most of all, wishful thinking - people stop this silly business as there are some people right here right now who are truly struggling with their eating habits and hoping to make changes.

Respectfully,
    N

Strong post from someone with a closed diary, no goals, and no posting history.

So you've never been fat, never logged food, and you've signed up on a food logging website to make fun of people who have gone from obese to fit while occasionally indulging in ice cream and pizza.

Congratulations.

Strong sockpuppet post pooing on the habits of people who have made amazing progress and are extremely fit and healthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!