Absence Before Marriage

Options

Replies

• walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    And besides any moral/religious reasons, also remember that increased number of sexual partners results in increased STD risk. If a woman has 4 sexual partners, she has almost 85% of contracting HPV. Higher number of sexual partners has also been linked to increased risk of prostate cancer. Also, 1.3 million unplanned pregnancies in the united states come from unmarried partners which is more than twice the rate in married couples even though the number of total pregnancies are almost the same.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Also abstinence is the most ridiculous form of contraception, use condoms
    Please educate me. One can get pregnant when abstaining from sex?

Worked for Mary, allegedly. :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options

rape.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

rape.

:noway:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I'd take a rainbow-farting unicorn over any god that would create people with sensitive genitals and only expect them to use them for procreation or within marriage. I wish people left the religion out of this.....

Rumor has it unicorns mate for life. Weird.

It is impossible to keep religion out of conversations like this.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    Was just about to ask where you got your statistics on the percentage of effectiveness of condoms vs rape, looks like you've edited your post to remove that though, probably for the best.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'd take a rainbow-farting unicorn over any god that would create people with sensitive genitals and only expect them to use them for procreation or within marriage. I wish people left the religion out of this.....

Rumor has it unicorns mate for life. Weird.

It is impossible to keep religion out of conversations like this.

I think it's possible to discuss this subject without inserting "because god says" or "the bible says", but some people just like to insert and push their dogma on others because they think that's what they're supposed to do.....maybe it is, but meh.....
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    This thread is taking a turn for the worse, because of course.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes way. She asked and that's the answer. You can't abstain from being raped.
    I have no words to describe my reaction to this.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible to discuss this subject without inserting "because god says" or "the bible says", but some people just like to insert and push their dogma on others because they think that's what they're supposed to do.....maybe it is, but meh.....

Cutting people out of a conversation because you don't agree with them is not having a discussion. That is just finding consensus for your dogma.

It always comes down to this. Not because anyone is right or wrong. But because opinions are like...well...ya know.

Cheers.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that this is a public forum. When you ask a question, especially one based on morality, you'll get replies and opinions from those who believe in God. I don't see anyone on this thread "pushing their dogma" on others. I see well meaning people giving their personal opinions to the question posed by the OP. For some of us, it's just not possible to answer a moral question that is not grounded in our belief in God. But, these are only our opinions based on our personal beliefs.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Hence the reason for prefacing a comment with "I believe" not "you all should believe".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    For some reason I feel like a 20 year old girl who is a virgin by choice should be able to speak her mind on this matter without things getting SO ugly. I mean a little joking, yeah. Not just dragged through the mud ugly like this. This has really gone way too far if you ask me. I know MFP doesn't show our ages anymore but a quick glance at her profile shows her age. She should really be treated more gingerly. Someone having these kinds of views will have a certain mindset and paradigm that shouldn't have some of the responses she's gotten.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Marriage causes abstinence
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think that is totally AWESOME and only wish I had had the fortitude to do it that way. One of the most horrible things about our culture today is family instability and that is one way to combat that. Children are much more likely to be sexually promiscuous, engage in drug-seeking behavior, commit suicide, drop out of school, etc when families break apart (Statistics- don't argue). Saving yourself for marriage is no guarantee but it surely ups your odds of having an intact family to nurture your future children. I wish you well!.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I think that is totally AWESOME and only wish I had had the fortitude to do it that way. One of the most horrible things about our culture today is family instability and that is one way to combat that. Children are much more likely to be sexually promiscuous, engage in drug-seeking behavior, commit suicide, drop out of school, etc when families break apart (Statistics- don't argue). Saving yourself for marriage is no guarantee but it surely ups your odds of having an intact family to nurture your future children. I wish you well!.

This may come as a shock to some, but I am ^that guy. Was a virgin at marriage, have stayed true to my wife. This despite an obnoxiously high sex drive. So if anyone has the credentials to speak to this, I do.

First off, I'll say that if I had to do it over again, I'm not sure I would. It's had some major positives, but also a few not insignificant negatives...chief among them that it took awhile for my wife and I to figure out what we were doing. :blushing: But we got it figured out together, and could likely make all of you blush now.

That said, it was the right choice FOR ME, and I'm not convinced it's right for everyone. I do think there's good things that come of less sex rather than more (how many of you don't have a few encounters you regret, after all?), but that's as far as I'm willing to take it. I made choices, I stuck to them, I turned out happy as a result. But there's many who have done just the opposite, and are just as well adjusted and good for society as I'll ever hope to be.

Also, I still fight that battle to stay true every single day...it never goes away. Monogamy isn't exactly a magic bullet for curing those urges.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Apparently wanting pleasure with no strings attached is a bad thing. Sex is to be enjoyed ONLY for procreation and ONLY if you have an expensive ring on your finger........

The logic of this burns my brains something fierce:noway:

Yeah, I definitely don't get it! I guess I would be burned alive if people knew I have had one night stands and pity sex!!

Hi :flowerforyou: !
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you feel that abstinence is the way to go, then by all means DO IT! Don't let your morals get influenced by anyone. If you on the other hand are wondering about it........then that is up to you. You made a comment about people not having sex but then finding themselves unhappy once they "had the goods." (My words, not yours). I would say follow your heart on this one. Don't do or NOT do anything except what your heart tells you you are ready for.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'll just say this. There is a reason most every form of major religion for millennia has practiced chastity abstinence celibacy and the sacredness of our sexuality. Sometimes to step back and pay homage to our temple our body wether it be maintaining purity, meditating, practicing tantric, or just respecting it is divine.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    To each their own.
    I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle without test driving it first, ifyaknowwhatimean.

I'm ready for you to test this ride whenever. :blushing: