Absence Before Marriage

Options

Replies

• deeluvly
    deeluvly Posts: 7
    Options
    Everyone. Okay so when you have kids encourage them to have sex before marriage. Good for you. at least youre "cool". Go away.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think people should talk about this more often. I thought it was okay because everybody said it was okay. I thought it was normal to have sex before marriage. I think everyone should always be reminded that it's a sin or else they will forget.

This only applies if people care what is or is not a sin. For the rest of us it doesn't matter a bit.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think people should talk about this more often. I thought it was okay because everybody said it was okay. I thought it was normal to have sex before marriage. I think everyone should always be reminded that it's a sin or else they will forget.

You are aware that this isn't a "christian nation", right?

Are you from Australia, too? haha

I wish.....actually, you guys have really scary spiders there, so maybe not. lol.
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This is totally hypocritical of you, having done it yourself and now passing judgement on others. Doesn't the bible say something against that too?

Actually, no.

Christianity is bound in the fact that EVERYONE sins. The point most people miss, including Christians, is you can call something sin, but not judge a person. So if someone steals, does that make them bad? No, but it doesn't make what they did right.

But we digress.

I wasn't saying she was wrong for sinning I was saying she was wrong for judging..which the bible does say you shouldn't do. I know the whole 'everyone's a sinner' thing. I've been to church. I was raised Catholic. I'm not ignorant, I just don't see the point it trying to shove your beliefs down other people's throat, and then judging people for doing something that you already did yourself.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    This is totally hypocritical of you, having done it yourself and now passing judgement on others. Doesn't the bible say something against that too?

Actually, no.

Christianity is bound in the fact that EVERYONE sins. The point most people miss, including Christians, is you can call something sin, but not judge a person. So if someone steals, does that make them bad? No, but it doesn't make what they did right.

But we digress.

Yes, it makes them totally bad and condemned to burn in hell. In fact, everyone is bad and condemned to burn in hell, whether they stole or not. Everyone is going to burn in hell even if the worst thing they ever did was secretly feed their meatloaf to the dog.

Unless they say that Jesus died for that meatloaf and accept the forgiveness of God.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Everyone. Okay so when you have kids encourage them to have sex before marriage. Good for you. at least youre "cool". Go away.

I don't plan on encouraging my kids to have sex at all ever, because that's just weird. I will, however, inform them about safe sex when they are a little older, though.
  • JulieAnn1109
    JulieAnn1109 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sex in and of itself is not "morally wrong".

I believe God designed it as a special gift between a husband and wife.
    It is the most intimate part of your relationship.

When you wait you are demonstrating a selfless type of love that says, I love you so much that I am willing to deny myself in order to do what is best for you and our marriage.
    It is the highest level of respect you can give someone.

I don't see it as a restriction but rather as a protection from a loving God.
    He wants the very best for people and knows that more and more of that special intimacy and trust will be lost with each subsequent sexual partner.

AGREE 100% WITH THIS POST!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It only matters that YOU and the person you are WITH both feel the same way about it.

Personally, I couldn't be in a relationship with someone who holds that belief. For me, sex is a very intimate and essential part of being in love, and without knowing if we're compatible on ALL levels, I don't think I could marry someone.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    IMO:

Treating sex like a recreational activity has possible consequences that young people typically aren't equipped to deal with, and while they take the brunt of it, the entire community (to some degree) has to pay the consequences. That being said...

I feel that attaching a value to virginity is something that (generally speaking) you will only see among religious or spiritual people. And it is perfectly natural, I feel, for someone who is not spiritual or religious in nature to not attach a value to it at all.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I believe the OP asked for everyone's believe on whether abstinence before marriage was preferred or a turn-off; I don't remember OP's post asking people to bash any/all religions, criticize others, or try to impose their beliefs on others. As adults, can we please try to have a respectful, adult conversation?

Edit - there is a difference between sharing your beliefs/experiences and trying to get others to conform to your beliefs and experiences. Saying, "Waiting until marriage is a quality I value because it aligns with my religious believes" is different from saying, "everyone should wait because premarital sex is a sin."
  • Cajoke123
    Cajoke123 Posts: 54
    Options

Actually, no.

But we digress.

I wasn't saying she was wrong for sinning I was saying she was wrong for judging..which the bible does say you shouldn't do. I know the whole 'everyone's a sinner' thing. I've been to church. I was raised Catholic. I'm not ignorant, I just don't see the point it trying to shove your beliefs down other people's throat, and then judging people for doing something that you already did yourself.

If I say that sex before marriage is wrong, then I'm judging the action and not necessarily the person. This is not judging anyone.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Judgemental much? When I have kids, I will encourage them to wait until they find the right person, but then I'm going to be a logical parent and teach them about birth control and condoms and encourage them to come to me or their father if they need to talk.

I'm not going to be one of THOSE parents who buries their head in the sand or shames their teens for having NORMAL feelings and urges. It's not about being "cool". It's about NOT being ignorant.
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my hubby and I waited until marriage and it's one of the best decisions we made. We spent almost all our time together and got to know each other extremely well, even without the sex. :) The attraction was there and we were and are in love and the waiting for sex did not put a damper on that. When we got married I trusted him with every bit of me and the intimacy was phenomenal. Plus, the sex is freaking fantastic! We communicate about our likes and dislikes and we've made each other into better partners. There's my two cents. :)
  • deeluvly
    deeluvly Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm not judging anyone. I just think it should be encouraged more to wait. And you just said that thats what you would do to, So why would you be upset.

Its a sin in all religions. So's cheating and stealing.. but people do that too eventough they shouldn't. People are sinners.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I believe the OP asked for everyone's believe on whether abstinence before marriage was preferred or a turn-off; I don't remember OP's post asking people to bash any/all religions, criticize others, or try to impose their beliefs on others. As adults, can we please try to have a respectful, adult conversation?

Edit - there is a difference between sharing your beliefs/experiences and trying to get others to conform to your beliefs and experiences. Saying, "Waiting until marriage is a quality I value because it aligns with my religious believes" is different from saying, "everyone should wait because premarital sex is a sin."

You are right and I apologise for my inflammatory post, which came after someone mentioned "sin".
  • AliciaStinger
    Options

I admit I didn't read all 15 pages of posts, but I'm almost certain that nobody says that having sex before marriage makes you cool. My parents advised me to wait for the right person - and I am still waiting - but I might not wait until I'm married to that person, OR I might not get married at all. The fact that I have waited doesn't make me uncool, and the fact that I might not wait until marriage or get married at all doesn't make me a bad person; it just means that I'm going to decide for myself what is right for me and my relationships.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I can't believe I posted that under deeluvly's post.

Pre marital sex is not a sin, except in the mind of religious nutters.

Delete her posts first, please.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    I'm not judging anyone. I just think it should be encouraged more to wait. And you just said that thats what you would do to, So why would you be upset.

Its a sin in all religions. So's cheating and stealing.. but people do that too eventough they shouldn't. People are sinners.

I'm an Atheist.

And you did not just compare pre-marital sex to stealing and cheating, did you? :noway:
  • AliciaStinger
    Options

You are right and I apologise for my inflammatory post, which came after someone mentioned "sin".

I wasn't aiming this at anyone in particular, and believe me when I say that I know how hard it is not to get upset when people criticize or believe that their view is right for everyone. I just thought this was an interesting topic and didn't want to see it get banned!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options

I think when she said you were judge mental she was speaking more to the fact that you just told everyone who disagreed with you to go tell their kids to have tons of sex, paraphrasing here that's not an exact quote. That was sort of judge mental of you to say, I don't' think their parents told them to go out and have sex when they were kids, in fact I think their parents taught them to be responsible and safe. Like my mom didn't tell me I couldn't have sex until I was married or to wait until I was older she just said to wait until I was ready. They all have level heads about this, they couldn't wait to have sex , they wouldn't want to and some of them have their own very valid points for why, and you know it probably does stem from a positive teaching from someone. :)