WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi all - Thank you Barbie cat for this thread & DamitJanit I love your motto.
    I lost 4 pounds in May (YAY).
    Goal 1- I hope to lose 4-6 pounds in June.
    I've eating about 1600 calories a day and not finding it to be too much of a challenge. I'm considering trying a week or two of keto to see if I could lose faster. I get lots of exercise in the summer; besides HIIT and strength training 2 days a week, I walk 3-4 miles 2-3 days a week, and I work in my garden at least 10 hours a week.
    Goal 2 - I want to limit my party day/barbeque day pigouts to 2000 calories. I usually go way over that a few days a month.
    From beautiful Spokane, WA.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    @DamitJanit Thanks for the input. I've done planks before but not recently. It really is a great core strength builder and I can certainly feel that. I make sure to rest a full minute in between the 4 X 30 sec planks. My weight loss has been so slow and puny (.4 or .6 lbs) that when the scale goes up I get thrown off. I am well aware that this is a journey and that being 56 yo and 11 years post-menopause and taking weight inducing medications and having a negative metabolism that this is going to take persistence and commitment.

Had a good day today. The weather was wonderful and got in a nice trail walk.

8cxisg9sqlsw.png

Cheri in Fairlawn, Ohio :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    damnit - huh? shave my legs? by the way, i'm VERY hairless. i must have a lot of indian in me cuz i hardly have any hair.

i also don't want to change my profile name (it's my late husbands part of his email address)

HOWEVER -- ATTENTION ALL LADIES!!!! I NOW WANT TO BE REFERRED TO AS "POOP" not PIP. thank you
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back to try again to get on the losing train. May was an up and down month for me. We had more rain in May than they usually get in a year! We live on a river that came out of the banks and met the big puddle left by the rain. Thank Goodness we live up a hill and have a 6 foot retaining wall between us and the water. I think it was all the rainy weather and the lack of playing golf that got me down. I did clean and organize four jewelry boxes. I'm making lists for what I want to leave my kids and grand kids. My daughter ask me if something was wrong that I wasn't telling her! Just rainy days.
    I found it very interesting to see all the new names and places, Greece and the North Pole! Great diversity of locations.
    Keeping DGD's this week so been busy shopping and playing games. I will have some goals but tonight just wanted to say hello and thank Barbie for another month.
    Sue in TX
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for WEEKS, I have been craving a good restaurant burger with cheese the fixings and fries... way way to many calories, but the craving would not go away...I did not want to cook it myself - and what to do with the rest of the buns... so today at lunch a friend and I went to Outback - AFTER I had hiked 7 miles to earn some more calories, and had their burger... it was a great burger and it is logged, but truly not worth the 1000+ calories... I needed to do this just so I will be able to say not worth it next time... I may stay under (just) calories today or not, but I looked up a piece of cheesecake and it is less calories... in my mind that would be a better "investment" live and learn!

Mary – OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sad…. Could you put everything in storage and couch surf for 6 months? You can come here for a month…. Who else will take them in???

Heather – what a drag with the rental mess! Selling it sounds like a great next step.

Lenora – great post, I feel like I know you already.

Carol – how can your daughter be 25 if you are only 30? LOL So I have to tell you my mom’s system when we were kids, when it was time to clean up what ever mess we made (prior to bed time – and usually more often during the day) She would tell us we had 20 or 30 minutes to clean up – at about 5 minutes till we were to be done she would tell use 5 minutes till I get the bag. The bag was a 33 gallon garbage bag. If it wasn’t cleaned up then out would come the bag, and everything went in the bag. Any thing you wanted back you had to do a chore for… a chore of her choosing… and there was no rhyme or reason for the chore… one week you might have to empty trash for a book the next week for the same book you might have to wash all the car windows…. After a month anything you had not wanted enough to get out of the bag went to good will.

A few weeks of the bag and we got really good at cleaning up.

Terri – if midnight eating is just a habit that is one thing, but it sounds like it is related to pain meds, so you need to find something that would work, what about a small container of flavored non-fat yogurt, it is easy, ready, would coat your tummy, and should be under 150 which is better than a fried chicken breast.

To everyone I missed, sorry, good luck with your choices, and positive thoughts to all who need it.

June goals:
    Walk every day 180 miles for the month (in May I did 175… thought maybe a higher goal would be good)
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    do 2 fun things every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends and Welcome Newbies.

Barbie: Thanks for getting our June thread going.

Pip: Love the image of your cat riding in bike basket. Mine would love that. Sadly, I don’t have a bike.

DeeDee: My friend calls her retirement ‘rewirement’. She’s busier and having more fun than ever. Congrats to you.

I injured my kneecap in a fall and so have to ease back on some lower body exercises until the bruising subsides. Still keeping to my schedule of workouts at 5:25 AM, and have added aquatics on the weekend. I’ve been going to bed super-early, mostly out of boredom and to keep myself from snacking at night. Meanwhile I just can’t seem to shake the edgy, restless feelings I continue to have. Today I sent my resume to a firm that is looking to place people in my field in temporary assignments in Central America and Europe. The notion of living in another country really appeals to me. For now, I’ll just be grateful to get back on the road. Lots of business trips scheduled for June. Yay!

When I do visit this thread it winds up being a ‘binge-read’ just to catch up on the few days I may have missed. You are all to be commended for your consistency, caring and compassion. I carry you in my head and heart wherever I go.

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

June Goals
    Increase weekly calorie burn goal by 20%.
    Keep consumption of alcohol to 2x week
    Give someone a compliment every day
    Once a week, call a friend just to check in.
    My word for 2014 is mindfulness.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of speed intervals on the treadmill, 1 min @3.5mph, 1min @4mph, 40 sec @4.5mph, 20sec. @5mph and so on. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class. First I'll stop at CVS, get more sunscreen. Their price isn't fantastic, but I will get $3 off coupon and using that plus my manufacturers coupon, I'll get the milk for free. then take the deep water class, then take material to the lady who will make another elf outfit for me, then probably stop at Bi-Lo. But if the weather is nice, I know Vince would rather I come home and help cut the grass.

Jess just called. Seems they were out in the sun and Colby got sun poisoning. He is fair and the sun down here is more intense. So I guess from now on he has to only be in the sun for a short period of time. I know that's how it is for me, I can only take about an hour/day or else I turn into a lobster.

Penny - you'd probably laugh hysterically at the people in FL. I know I chuckle. You should see how the kids are dressed waiting for the bus! You would think they were going to the Antarctic. Hat, mittens, down coat, everything. And the temp isn't even at freezing!

Mary from MN - hun, I'm ever so sorry about the house. Let us know what you finally decide upon. I know whatever it is, you'll make the right decision

Joyce
    - you're a hoot! "Booby scooper"...ROTF

Heather
    - sorry about your rental. Hope things work out well

katla
    - you do want to go to spin

Lenora
    - I'm glad to hear that you're under a doctor's supervision with your calories so low. I'm sure he's monitoring it. OK, explain how you have two granddaughters 9 but they aren't twins. One born in the beginning of the year and the other at the end of the year? I must have missed this. What's this about a seizure?

Went to Mexican Train Dominoes tonight. Had some cantaloupe, some of the turkey meatballs that I brought, a piece of this sandwich someone brought, and one of these small pizzas along with carrots. Now I wish I hadn't had the pizza, it really wasn't all that good. On our way there we were in a torrential downpour. So I guess it's your fault, Carol in NC. You're the one who brought it back from TX....lol

Terri in Milwaukee
    - I find that easily digestible foods like applesauce or tofu seem to work curbing hunger and not make me gain a lot of weight when I eat them late at night. Yes, do allot for those calories in your daily log

Chris in MA
    - was that on the Charles River in the pic? Good for you losing those pounds

yanniejannie - how lucky for your dd to get that saddle!

Went in the pool today, it was 84. Found another exercise that I can do in the shallow end, but it involves putting a band on the bottom of my foot so I don't do this exercise very much.

Janet - many times when I have extra food, I'll donate that to the soup kitchen, too. They hand bags out for the weekends, so I figure they can use that in the bags

Sue in TX
    - so glad to hear from you. I was wondering how you were doing

Kim - I did basically what your mom did only I didn't let my kids "buy" back their toys. If they couldn't be bothered to put them away, then I put them away ---- permanently.

Poop - welcome!

Michele in NC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOODNESS !!!! 6 pages already!! :#

Well.... back to May something... oh yeah ! May 30th ... the dog bath because he rolled in cow poop. NO Bath. He knew what was going to happen - he knew he was bad and he came nowhere near me... and today - still won't get near me if I have the water hose in hand.

May 31st... WE FINALLY GOT RAIN!!! 6/10th's and then the power went off at 6:30 p.m. and came back on at 8 a.m. the next morning... and then way to busy to get back here!!!

And as I skimmed the pages ....so many new people ..HI everyone!!

Off to bed now ...work in the morning.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,117 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes with our house situation. Kim it was nice of you to offer us your couch! We decided on the apartment above the store on Main Street. With out the garage. They decided that my DH could park by our back entry. So much more convenient for the winter weather.

We now have to decide what to do with all the stuff that we pulled off of the moving sale because we had thought that we were going to have a large house with storage. :'( Has anyone ever had any luck having moving sales 2 weeks in a row? We have a newer riding lawn mower, push mower, snow blower, table saw, tools, furniture...that we now must get rid of. Or we thought of bringing all of it to the auction house. Any suggestions would be appreciated! <3

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well folks last night I was up ALL night with issues with myself.... Lets just say I was abit blocked up. I swear I was lamaze breathing, pacing the house, getting sick, and generally just miserable all night long. Finally "things started to happen" and by 3am I took a warm bath, (falling asleep in the tub no less...yes my face was above water..lol) and today I am just plain sore. I feel like I did situps all night long.. That has never happened before. I have been eating well, but lunches have been wild rice and veggies, and I did make that homemade granola. So too much oats....Im gonna die like that Grape Nuts dude Euell Gibbons choking on a pine cone...... So any hints...I know NO granola late at night..... I was feeling really great up until yesterday afternoon. So I am thinking it was things just not processing well for awhile now... ok enough of that talk....sighes..
    Today husband and I sat and watched the Navy ships come down the Columbia River to the Rose Festival events this weekend. We saw the Lady H. Washington, a sailing ship that is going to be pierside by the Maritime Museum in Astoria. There is going to be a "Goonies Festival" and with it being kind of a pirate ship it made its way here. The movie "The Goonies" was filmed in Astoria, and I swear there is a cult following here. We only say a Navy Mine Sweeper sail by, but no cruisers like we had hoped. We are thinking the water is too low in Portland to accomidate them, but we are just guessing.
    It has been raining terriblly here, and I know all my veggies are just drowning in the garden.... Ack!
    Well tomorrow is weighing in day at my TOPS meeting (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and I am certain I did lose some weight... (after last nights trama-filled I would hope so)...
    Health and Happiness to you all..
    (your Becca by the beach)
  • Annr
    Options
    Well folks last night I was up ALL night with issues with myself.... Lets just say I was abit blocked up. I swear I was lamaze breathing, pacing the house, getting sick, and generally just miserable all night long. Finally "things started to happen" and by 3am I took a warm bath, (falling asleep in the tub no less...yes my face was above water..lol) and today I am just plain sore. I feel like I did situps all night long.. That has never happened before. I have been eating well, but lunches have been wild rice and veggies, and I did make that homemade granola. So too much oats....Im gonna die like that Grape Nuts dude Euell Gibbons choking on a pine cone...... So any hints...I know NO granola late at night..... I was feeling really great up until yesterday afternoon. So I am thinking it was things just not processing well for awhile now... ok enough of that talk....sighes..
    Today husband and I sat and watched the Navy ships come down the Columbia River to the Rose Festival events this weekend. We saw the Lady H. Washington, a sailing ship that is going to be pierside by the Maritime Museum in Astoria. There is going to be a "Goonies Festival" and with it being kind of a pirate ship it made its way here. The movie "The Goonies" was filmed in Astoria, and I swear there is a cult following here. We only say a Navy Mine Sweeper sail by, but no cruisers like we had hoped. We are thinking the water is too low in Portland to accomidate them, but we are just guessing.
    It has been raining terriblly here, and I know all my veggies are just drowning in the garden.... Ack!
    Well tomorrow is weighing in day at my TOPS meeting (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and I am certain I did lose some weight... (after last nights trama-filled I would hope so)...
    Health and Happiness to you all..
    (your Becca by the beach)
  • Annr
    Options
    oops for the duplicate....grrrrrr dayum mfp...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :drinker: :sad: :oh well: :embarrassed:

About what, Barbie??

Janet

smiley-laughing001.gif that was me trying to use what Heather suggested about making the faces.....two of them worked and the other two didn't smiley-laughing001.gif so now I'm back to getting my smileys from www.freesmileys.org

Barbie: :ohwell: is one word "ohwell". :embarassed: is misspelled. "embarassed".
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Another short post tonight. Have read it all am amazed at how well everyone is doing in their daily struggles through life.

Penny, thanks for explaining about Norway. How did you come to move their. I told my husband that I can just imagine that you or husband got a job and your move was featured in a episode on HGTVs House hunters international. They did have an episode of a couple going to Norway.

Lenora and Cynthia, about the cemetery. I hope some one leaks it to some one that the apartment that is for rent is built over an old cemetery that was relocated and it is now haunted by dead angry souls! That would be a good job for you to do Cynthia!!!

KatieBug, I have a very small Ninja that I use for mainly chopping, like chicken for chicken salad or an onion. Just a short maybe 1 second pulse and it's done. I love it.

Janet, Myrtle Beach, our city has two impoverished areas and I think there are 4 grade schools in those areas. They have a summer lunch program that is also located in two other schools that offer free lunches to anyone, and that is anyone, under the age of 18 and adults can eat for $2.50. I have never tried it but it is usually sandwich type meals but occasionally a hot meal like soup and sandwhich or sloppy joes. It is a grant through some place. But it has been going on for some time. They also have some of the school employees like teachers, social workers that go there once a week and offer other things to do. It's a good way for the school system to see how the at risk kids are doing. I would open a word document program while I am reading so I can intelligently make a response but I can't figure it out. Besides that, I am burning calories by hand writing them down! :p

Allison, how is your mushy wall?

Kim, California, I did that to with Red Lobster. I loved to watch the commercials about eating lobster. It looked so succulent and yummy but it is expensive and we had never allowed ourselves the luxury of ordering it. So one day we decided to spurge and I ordered lobster and Charlie ordered crab legs. The lobster was terrible, I thought it had no flavor and Charlie could never get enough meat off those crab legs to get a meal. So it served a purpose for us. I no longer crave eating Lobster and I can just disregard those commercials. I do want to check out the nutritional value of Outback Steakhouse though now that we have a discount with AARP.

Mary Minnesota, I would check out an auction house. I do know that you can set a minimum you HAVE to get for an item or it reverts back to you. Is there any thing in your area that takes things like that on consignment? Were you good friends with neighbors that could store them for you? I don't think that a 1 month storage unit would cost that much. Of course I don't know if you have to lease them for just one month.

Got most of the results back form all of Charlie's tests back that he had done yesterday and so far everything is normal. I was relieved. With all the diarrhea he still has I was afraid that his blood work would be all messed up. And he had to stop the one medicine he was taking to keep his heart rhythm in check. That test was the one I was really worried about and it was normal. When I told him it was all OK he mentioned that it's terrible that by looking at his lab and xrays, he should be a healthy 66 year old man. I know how he feels. I feel very healthy, but then you look at our medicine boxes. I am still afraid to tell my neurologist I stopped my main MS medicine. Charlie wonders if she fires me as a patient some doctor says I do not have MS, would they take away my Social Security Disability. But it is granted not by a diagnosis but by symptoms. And it doens't matter if I have MS or not. I have significant cognitive problems. Plus I am 65, my disability checks have probably already converted over to just Social Security checks. Well that's a lot of blabber about me, sorry.

I am going to have to really discipline myself once this week and once next week. Friday is national doughnut day and I will be going to Kryspy Kreme and getting a doughnut of my choice and next week we are going to see the new Jurassic Park movie. The smell of popcorn is going to drive me crazy. i may have to pop some at home and use one of my bigger bags as a purse and sneek some in.

Joyce, Indiana
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie: glad you're OK!

Becca: drinking enough water with all that fiber?

Tired from my first day back at work since being sick. Luckily I slept well.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

If I wake up hungry, I need to be un-hungry, Can anyone help? I need suggestions of food to eat in the middle of the night that will help the hunger, and help the nausea that can be caused by my pain meds and/or sleep aids. A chicken breast just looks so much yummier and filling than a nectarine, you know?!?!?
    Terri in Milwaukee[/quote]

Maybe try oatmeal and a banana... I cook up about 3 cups or 4 servings at a time and put it in the fridge. Then when I want some I measure out a 1 serving, pop it in the microwave for a minute, and add a banana and 1tea spoon of maple syrup. Do you like oatmeal? I'll keep thinking just in case your answer is no!

Rosie
  • Colette_workfmhomediva
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I am new here although been on MFP for a year I think, but it felt a bit lonely, just getting to grips with how to friend people and use it I guess. It's a whole new world on the PC using MFP. I am usually just on my phone and log food and activities. Is there anyone using a fitbit too? maybe we can hook up there as I love the challenges on it, i.e. work week hustle - to see who does the most steps, etc..
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Terri in Milwaukee, I also recommend keeping single-serving yoghurt on hand for midnight snacking. I had a mild stroke a couple years ago and when they started me on new medication I would often wake up with stomach pain. A yoghurt was just perfect! It stopped the pain and put me right back to sleep.

For those of you who've been wondering, we moved to Norway because my husband got a job. That we moved so far north in Norway is because he does research on polar regions. So your guess was partly right, Joyce in SC, except that we didn't get featured on House Hunters International. ;)

Penny at the Pole
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    Mary in Mn~ have you tried craigslist? we have sold alot of things on that... also if you are on facebook, there are usually local tag sale sites you can post to. I have done this also.
    Joyce~ rain has stopped so no more dripping but the ceiling is soggy.. so this weekend we will investigate and see whats going on.
    going to visit DFIL this morning, then stopping at a gym we have in town and see how much it is and what type of equipment they have,, if it is worth it then I will join there...it is a 24/7 gym but if it is 30-40 a month it will be a no go..
    not going into work until noon,