How do I stop being "Skinny Fat?"

Options
12345679»

Replies

• txkat365
    txkat365 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out yoga. There are some excellent practices online (YouTube) that will target the areas you're concerned about toning. You can do most at home. Hope this helps. #staystrong #livestrong
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    @MaiLinna
    It sounds like you have a lot of issues that are going on, and possibly some abusive or near abusive family ties. I'm sorry to hear that, and I hope moving has helped you mentally. Please consider that when people on here say you're making excuses, it isn't from the same kind of place - people here genuinely want to see you do better and some may be frustrated that all they can do is advice, no one can make you do the suggestions but you.
    Obviously there is a lot of advice thrown around here, and acting on a lot of it isn't going to happen in the next 24 hours, as eager as everyone is to see you call all the places, sign up for all the things, buy and cook all the foods. Do what you can as you can and let us know.

This is sound and compassionate advice.

Also, OP? Your photo in no way looks pregnant. I get a bigger belly from a good meal. Your mom can pound sand.

For your own mental health, though, try some free yoga practises (there are many available on You Tube and iTunes podcasts, so you can shop around!) and get out and walk outdoors whenever time and weather allows. Both the yoga and the walks outdoors will help you mentally AND physically.

I'm sorry that the people in your life have been something to overcome rather than something that lifts you up.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I walk every day now, between 1-3 hours. I live in such a beautiful area. Trees, mountains, little creeks, the ocean...it's amazing. I started finding all sorts of cool things on Youtube thanks to this post. I'm feeling a bit better about exercising too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting is your friend here.

Yep
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »

I walk every day now, between 1-3 hours. I live in such a beautiful area. Trees, mountains, little creeks, the ocean...it's amazing. I started finding all sorts of cool things on Youtube thanks to this post. I'm feeling a bit better about exercising too.

That's really great to hear.

My best wishes for you.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

YEAY! Double-duty physical and mental health boost! Keep doing that! I wager you'll make some new friends and feel more and more great about yourself inside and out.
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it. There's been abuse. I'm 24 and I constantly question everything I do. I wasn't allowed to eat what I wanted, go to college, get a job, learn how to drive, work out (which is why I'm really sad I couldn't bring my weights because I hid them. They were sort of an "Eff you I'll do what I want,") use the telephone (I actually have glossophobia and telephobia,) go out with my friends, and so many other things. This is my first time out in the world and I'm really overwhelmed.

I'm making excuses because I'm scared. I'm scared to go to a gym with people I have to talk to. I'm scared to call a clinic. I have a resume, if you can call it that, and I'm terrified of turning it in and possibly getting phone calls for interviews AND THEN doing said interviews. My boyfriend is literally holding my hand and teaching me how to do such basic things I didn't realize I didn't know. I'm blessed to have him. He says my "belly" is all in my head and I'm beautiful and perfect the way I am but I just don't know. I feel misshapen.

I am so sorry for what you have been through. It is really hard. I am anxious making calls as well, I avoid it unless I absolutely have to, and then when I'm talking on the phone I end up forgetting to say stuff because I'm so nervous. And phone calls, I give the clinics I go to my dad's number, because I don't answer my phone because of anxiety, so he brings me the phone when anyone calls. My mom used to make appointments and calls when she was alive, but now I have to do it, and it's still hard, even after 5 years. I am the same way about jobs, closest thing I had was helping my dad by typing up bills for him when he had his business, and I answered the phone sometimes, but that was really hard, I never knew what to say, so I didn't do that often. lol I still don't know what I would do if I had to work with other people and be under supervision.

If you want to add me you can, I deal with a lot of issues myself, so I'm always happy to be there for others and support them.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    txkat365 wrote: »
    Check out yoga. There are some excellent practices online (YouTube) that will target the areas you're concerned about toning. You can do most at home. Hope this helps. #staystrong #livestrong

Yoga is a good start. I like pilates - you might find doing both of these things appealing if 'lifting' is not your thing. Might help strengthen your back too...

There are lots of utube/online videos to source out.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

You Tube is such a fabulous resource.

And yay for walking! And exercise! It does so much to set of a chain reaction of feel-good inside your body, not just for fitness, but it has positive psychological impact as well.

I'm totally jealous of what you see when you walk. All I see around here is dog poop and chain link fences ;)