How do I stop being "Skinny Fat?"

Options

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    You know when people say a calorie is a calorie and it does not matter much?

If you don't get enough protein in your diet you body takes it from your body

Muscle loss thru poor nutrition in dieting happens to some people.

You can eat a balanced diet with enough protein and lift heavy enough to put back that muscle. It will take time and work but you can do it.

Unless you have some Heath problems blocking you, this is something you can totally fix thru proper diet and exercise!

No need to worry or be satisfied with things as they are now.

Muscle Fitness website has some good info.

And you need enough rest to build muscle too!

Your protein would have to be ridiculously low for that to happen.

I agree.

With a person progressively losing muscle on diets and feeling they have more fat left after each weight loss cycle, what do you think may be the cause?

Seems like muscle loss? No?

She straight up says she has no muscle.

What is your suggestion to add back muscle then?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm only on page 2 and this thread has ALL the excuses

Too early to facepalm but I'll catch up

Excuses and silliness and wtf. It's pretty epic.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If boiling rice and lentils meets any meaningful definition of "hard", our species would have gone extinct a long, long time ago.

Preach. Add some spinach which is cheap and you have your bases covered.

For people who find rice difficult to cook, try cooking it like pasta.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    How much experience is needed to boil rice and lentils? Through in a boullion cube and you're done, if you want to be.

Well, aside from the fact that I personally find those particular two items challenging (despite being great at making steaks, roasts, and stews), some knowledge. Maybe it is more than some people have.

OR maybe it all takes more energy than some people have. Especially if they're having a hard time in other ways.

But OP you can learn, if there are some gaps. And there are ways to work around not having a lot of energy or focus for this, if that's not there right now.

The thing is, if she's going to put the restriction on herself to be a vegan with a $20 food budget, she doesn't really have much choice, now, does she?

Why make more excuses for her?

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    $20 a week....

Rice - 5 lbs for $2.5
    Lentils - 5 lbs for $8

That's about 1200 calories/day, 105 grams/day of complete protein, and nearly $10 left over for whatevers.

What's the problem?

Utter BS on the "poor people can't eat healthy" nonsense....

Is eating a diet almost purely rice and beans "healthy" though?
    2lbs of cheap store brand rice is $2.25 with my store card.
    1lb of cheap store brand lentils with my card is almost the same. It was $2.45 last time I was in so uh...

Add some veggies to the mix and you're golden. Rice and lentils are a great source of protein.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    How much experience is needed to boil rice and lentils? Through in a boullion cube and you're done, if you want to be.

Well, aside from the fact that I personally find those particular two items challenging (despite being great at making steaks, roasts, and stews), some knowledge. Maybe it is more than some people have.

OR maybe it all takes more energy than some people have. Especially if they're having a hard time in other ways.

But OP you can learn, if there are some gaps. And there are ways to work around not having a lot of energy or focus for this, if that's not there right now.

The thing is, if she's going to put the restriction on herself to be a vegan with a $20 food budget, she doesn't really have much choice, now, does she?

I DID say it was learnable stuff. Just noted that some people might have reasons to hedge about it.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

those numbers are wrong ..you only need about one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. you can fill the rest in with carbs. and your fats should be about .4 or .45 per pound of body weight.

Why can't you just buy a tub of cheap protein powder from walmart? Why does it have to be tofu???

Because I'm vegan, which already hikes up the price, plus add in the fact that I don't have a blender and have no idea how much a good blender costs.

Dried beans and rice. Cheap and a complete protein.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I wouldn't call it elitist. Chicken is the only meat I've been able to stomach my whole life. I've never liked eggs, and I'm lactose intolerant. :c I'm not 100% vegan though, it's just easier to tell people I'm vegan instead of saying vegetarian.

What? How is it easier to tell people you're vegan rather than vegetarian? I'd wager more people understand vegetarian diets better than they understand vegan diets.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm only on page 2 and this thread has ALL the excuses

Too early to facepalm but I'll catch up

"When I stopped finding excuses, what I found was results"?
  • senecarr
    Options

Is eating a diet almost purely rice and beans "healthy" though?
    2lbs of cheap store brand rice is $2.25 with my store card.
    1lb of cheap store brand lentils with my card is almost the same. It was $2.45 last time I was in so uh...
    For your toilet, no. For yourself, you might want to throw in the occasional vegetable.
  • senecarr
    Options
    If boiling rice and lentils meets any meaningful definition of "hard", our species would have gone extinct a long, long time ago.
    Actually, for hunter gatherers, cooking is so hard that it lead to division of labor - some people cook, some people hunt and gather.
    Has about jack all to do with how ridiculously easy it is to throw something in a boiling pot in nearly any region of North America though.
  • senecarr
    Options

She did claim to have some digestive issues with meat.
    Regardless, from what I found, home made seitan is about the cheapest pure protein source you can get.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I second guess myself a lot, and even after hours of research and myth debunking I'm still not sure I have the answers I need.

I'm 5'6", around 140 lbs last time I checked. I wear a medium in most clothes. I lost 25 lbs recently, and I'm happy to report I can wear a size 8 skinny jean for the first time since I was a teenybopper. However, I'm still not comfortable with the shape of my body. My breasts are small, and always have been. Any sort of excess weight looks really awkward on me because of that. My belly, which my boyfriend denies exists, hangs farther out than my breasts. My thighs are thick, my upper arms are floppy, and I have little love handles. I hate how bumpy and rolly my body is, but I have a 22.3 BMI, which is lower than my skinny boyfriend's 23 BMI, and he worries I'm going to starve myself trying to lose weight.

What should I do here? I don't want to go down to 1200 calories a day because I tried that before and it really didn't work. At the same time, I don't have as much weight to lose so now I need to eat less? I've already lost weight and so I'm not sure where to go from here.

TL:DR: Reached my goal, I'm at a healthy weight, but my body is gross. How do I fix it?

Haven't read through the responses yet but I'm also 5ft, 6in and yeah I totally get where you're coming from. My original goal weight was 135lbs and when I hit it, instead of feeling elated and breaking out into the happy dance, I looked into the mirror and was like 'WTH, I hit my goal, why didn't I turn into a Victoria's Secret Model?!' :p

For me-I did continue to lose weight at that point, and ended up getting down to 117lbs (low end of a healthy bmi). It was a good learning experience because I realized where I felt best at, and that was in the 120-125lb range. Gained a few pounds back and I've been maintaining in that zone for a while now. Along with that I've been doing body-weight strength training exercises on and off, and that along with the lower weight, has really done wonders for my body. My arms are tight, my back, shoulders and abs have visible definition and I can see improvements in my thigh/bum area, which have always been my problem spots.

I started with a book that I bought for under $20 at Barnes n Noble and it was the perfect place to start for me-it's called Body By You, by Mark Lauren. After I wrapped that up I moved onto his other book, You are Your Own Gym. I've also played around with Nerd Fitness's body weight strength training programs (online), and now that the weather is nice I walk down to the park that's on my street and do body-weight strength training on the playground equipment (using movements from You are Your Own Gym).

I'm pretty laid back about the whole thing, but I'm very pleased with where I'm at and I'm having fun too :)

eta: caught up on the thread and yikes, OP you need to get over yourself. I'm a bit confused as to why you even started this thread if you're not willing to be open to the suggestions (successful) people are giving you. Either you want this or you don't-it's your choice.

Btw-most libraries have Mark Lauren's books, along with a plethora of other fitness/exercise books that you can borrow for free. Many of them you can do without needing any extra equipment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You know when people say a calorie is a calorie and it does not matter much?

If you don't get enough protein in your diet you body takes it from your body

Muscle loss thru poor nutrition in dieting happens to some people.

You can eat a balanced diet with enough protein and lift heavy enough to put back that muscle. It will take time and work but you can do it.

Unless you have some Heath problems blocking you, this is something you can totally fix thru proper diet and exercise!

No need to worry or be satisfied with things as they are now.

Muscle Fitness website has some good info.

And you need enough rest to build muscle too!

aren't you the negative calorie guy???

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I wouldn't call it elitist. Chicken is the only meat I've been able to stomach my whole life. I've never liked eggs, and I'm lactose intolerant. :c I'm not 100% vegan though, it's just easier to tell people I'm vegan instead of saying vegetarian.

So buy chicken in bulk.

Watch for rotisserie chickens to go on sale. I get 2-3 dinners per chicken with sides, and that's for my family of 5, including 3 teenagers.

You can be as cranky as you want about "first world problems," but going vegan in an industrialized country is about as first world as you can get. Just adding Chicken, eggs (there are too many ways to cook them to rule them out altogether), and yogurt (hard cheeses and yogurt are naturally lower in lactose) to your diet would not only save you money, but help you get more protein.

Go to ethnic markets, especially if you have some near you that specialize in foods from South Asian countries like India, where many people are vegetarian. Other ethnic markets are great too, they all tend to have great prices and high-quality foods.

Call every single one of the CSA (community supported agriculture) farms in your area and find out if they will give work shares -- that's a substantial amount of fresh produce (and sometimes eggs) in exchange for field work and lifting crates...so free food +free workout.

Can't afford the gym? pick up other heavy stuff. Milk jugs full of sand. Packed suitcases.

doing a bazillion reps of bodyweight stuff like squats and crunches isn't going to help you more than just a few reps of weighted ones. Bonus: saves a ton of time, thus freeing you up to earn more money and/or do stuff like the CSA workshare.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. Weight lifting is the way to go!! Join a gym and get help from the folks that work there. Try to steer toward a locally owned and run gym as the chains (Planet Fitness, etc.) are mostly about getting you in their door with your $$$. Start off using the machines (they will help w/proper form) then as you feel comfortable, start using the free weights.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

So buy chicken in bulk.

Watch for rotisserie chickens to go on sale. I get 2-3 dinners per chicken with sides, and that's for my family of 5, including 3 teenagers.

You can be as cranky as you want about "first world problems," but going vegan in an industrialized country is about as first world as you can get. Just adding Chicken, eggs (there are too many ways to cook them to rule them out altogether), and yogurt (hard cheeses and yogurt are naturally lower in lactose) to your diet would not only save you money, but help you get more protein.

Go to ethnic markets, especially if you have some near you that specialize in foods from South Asian countries like India, where many people are vegetarian. Other ethnic markets are great too, they all tend to have great prices and high-quality foods.

Call every single one of the CSA (community supported agriculture) farms in your area and find out if they will give work shares -- that's a substantial amount of fresh produce (and sometimes eggs) in exchange for field work and lifting crates...so free food +free workout.

Can't afford the gym? pick up other heavy stuff. Milk jugs full of sand. Packed suitcases.

doing a bazillion reps of bodyweight stuff like squats and crunches isn't going to help you more than just a few reps of weighted ones. Bonus: saves a ton of time, thus freeing you up to earn more money and/or do stuff like the CSA workshare.

Yep, my daughter is lactose intolerant and she can eat yogurt with no problems/doesn't have to take her pill.
  • alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would try some basic body weight strength training if you're uncomfortable with using weights.

As far as protein goes it's actually really not too hard! :) You have access to internet obviously so if you don't know how to cook stuff you can just look it up. Some ideas as a former vegetarian (and forever poor person):
    - corn tortillas with fried eggs (usually I just use a Pam type spray but oil if you prefer) you can also add some beans and veggies to them. Just cheap dried beans (boiled) and frozen veggies
    - refried beans and corn tortillas. Just buy some dried beans and cook them and then do the actual refry process
    - beans and rice. Dry beans dry rice and cook.You can also have vegetables with it.

Many poor countries don't eat meat often and they still get enough protein so I wouldn't worry about it. It's not too hard. Look up some basic recipes online, there are a ton of cheap vegan and vegetarian recipe websites! Also a lot of Hispanic recipes can be made/ already are vegan or vegetarian. Stir fries are usually filling and easy to add beans,eggs, or whatever protein you are using. Quite honestly many people survive off of just beans and rice so I'm sure you'll be fine with that plus other foods. Non protein cheap foods like corn tortillas and bananas are also things I add for cheap fillers. Good luck! :)
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 307 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I was usually too tall to wear a small

What? That isn't a thing, unless you mean some skirt or dress lengths? I'm 5'8, size 0 or 2, and a small. Sometimes things will be a little short because of my height, but my size is still small so I'm a little confused as to what you mean?
    I dunno, I just feel gross. And I look at all these pretty dresses and cute outfits I wanna wear but I know my stomach's going to just stick out and everyone's gonna call me pregnant.

I'm just trying to be realistic here, but I have to tell you, if your stomach sticks out so much that you possibly look pregnant, it sounds like you're not "skinny fat" but just overweight (or more like overfat). Skinny fat refers to someone that is thin but has no muscle mass. So your first step should be to lose the excess fat, ie eat in a deficit. I think everyone should weight train, but getting your eating in check needs to be your main focus first. Everyone's body is different. Just because your scale number fits in a range doesn't mean anything - you need to go off how you look and feel.

However, reading the little I have of the rest of the post, it doesn't seem like you really want this. You can lose weight just by eating LESS of what you're already eating. It's ideal to incorporate more protein and working out, but you can do bare minimum and at least lose a bit of weight.

• MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options

What? How is it easier to tell people you're vegan rather than vegetarian? I'd wager more people understand vegetarian diets better than they understand vegan diets.

Not on this side of the map. I also don't like the taste of honey. It's too floral. So when I say I'm vegan I can avoid that too.