Anyone gone to Mexico for dental work??

Options

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    After airfare, lodging for the stay there, travel insurance plus the procedure...It's probably a lot cheaper to get it done in Alberta. Shop around for quotes, and find which dental office is right for you. I got some dental work done - aesthetic since a dental nightmare happened when I was young, they yanked 12 baby teeth I had because they weren't coming out - took Xrays later and found out most of what they pulled had no adult teeth on top.

So about 2 1/2 years ago a family friend suggested we go see her dentist who was actually a few minutes walk from my place and so 3 visits later (a consult plus 2 sessions to get 2 gaps filled each tie so my front teeth look nice) the procedure was done! it only cost us 100$ because INSURANCE paid for 90% of the work!

So why not invest in an affordable insurance plan and go from there?
  • SkeletonWishes
    SkeletonWishes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What surprises me is that while reading through the comments I never once saw "Well if you can afford to go outside of your country (fly or otherwise) then you should have no issue being able to afford any dental procedure done in Canada." Yes you might get a decent vacation but if complications arise which is a possibility anywhere, do you plan to go back to Mexico or pay top dollar to go to a dentist in your province like you should have in the very beginning?

If you don't like your dentist, I suggest looking for a new one within close proximity.

This, unless you live in Texas or California or something, I seriously can't see how once you factor in the plane ride, food, lodging, etc. the dental work is still cheaper.

Also, it sounds like this is a cosmetic procedure? What do your teeth actually look like? Because if it's just one of those little things no one notices but you, I think paying someone a couple thousand dollars to fix it is stupid when you could spend the same amount of money improving your appearance in many different ways.

i've lived in texas, munich (germany), and new york city and texas was a lot cheaper so idk what your talking about.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

Have you ever been to Mexico? And not just the fancy tourist areas....The last time I was in Mexico I had to step over a body (drunk?) and got offered drugs 2 times. All this not even a minute from the border.

And have you ever tasted Mexican beer??? :huh:

To be fair, have you ever been to Detroit? :laugh:

Years ago, I worked for a management company and was transferred to Flint, Mi. Spent a year working there. If it's not the a-hole of the US, it has to be the taint. lol.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    What surprises me is that while reading through the comments I never once saw "Well if you can afford to go outside of your country (fly or otherwise) then you should have no issue being able to afford any dental procedure done in Canada." Yes you might get a decent vacation but if complications arise which is a possibility anywhere, do you plan to go back to Mexico or pay top dollar to go to a dentist in your province like you should have in the very beginning?

If you don't like your dentist, I suggest looking for a new one within close proximity.

This, unless you live in Texas or California or something, I seriously can't see how once you factor in the plane ride, food, lodging, etc. the dental work is still cheaper.

Also, it sounds like this is a cosmetic procedure? What do your teeth actually look like? Because if it's just one of those little things no one notices but you, I think paying someone a couple thousand dollars to fix it is stupid when you could spend the same amount of money improving your appearance in many different ways.

i've lived in texas, munich (germany), and new york city and texas was a lot cheaper so idk what your talking about.

I think they meant the close proximity of Texas and California to Mexico and would be cheaper to travel there
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to Mexico to do anything. Anything. Cartels, rampant unchecked misogyny, and random tourist murders aren't my style. I would let my teeth rot out of my head before having dental work done there.
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    my uncle went to mexico for dental work. he came back with no teeth and a sombrero.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Isn't this all a bit of a moot point? I'm sure the OP stated their bite was off & should have braces orginally to correct this? Braces isn't going to be a one off trip - 6wks tightening, check-up, changing of bands & so forth....
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My in-laws have done to the same place in Mexico for years... generations even... they have never had problems. My husband wants to go get a root canal and crown there in July. I wouldn't ever do it but to each their own.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Going for a full transformation here with my weight loss (down 30 so far before joining MFP!). Have another 40 to go! Anyway, I need dental work done. Dentists here in Alberta are used car salesmen. I went to my dentist, came up with a plan, went in for treatment only to find she changed the plan and wanted to charge me $5,000 more. I told her no way. Her reply, "well, dont you want a nice smile??" What the heck?! I stormed out.

I am looking at going to Mexico to get my dental work done. Cheaper, and while they might not guarentee their work, neither will my dentist ( my bite is off and she told me my parents should have got me braces. Not a possibility since i grew up dirt poor after my dad died).

Anyone on here gone to Mexico for dental work before? What clinic did you go to??

I keep looking on the net. Every place has mixed reviews. Any input would be great!

Thanks all!

Not dental work but my husband had to get a filling fixed when we were in Mexico a couple of years ago. The clinic he went to was super clean, had top of the line equipment and he was in and out in no time. He also had to go to a doctor when he was there on a separate trip and had no issues with that either.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I haven't done that, but really, what's the worst that could happen?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to Mexico to do anything. Anything. Cartels, rampant unchecked misogyny, and random tourist murders aren't my style. I would let my teeth rot out of my head before having dental work done there.

It irks me that people put the blanket "Mexico" on the above. Not ALL of Mexico is like this. Border towns? Yes.Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Guerrero, Jalisco, Michoacan, Morelos, Nayarit, Nuevo Leon, Oaxaca, San Luis Potosi, Sinaloa, Sonora, Tabasco, Tamaulipas, Veracruz and Zacatecas states? Yes.

Cancun area, Puerto Morelos, Cobo? No. It's statements like that that put the fear into people and makes them never want to go. I go to Mexico twice a year in the Cancun area and Puerto Morelos and haven't had any issue. The police and federales are EVERYWHERE. Cancun makes up 10% of the Mexican economy. Do you really think they want people to NOT go there? Of course there are areas where it's sketchy and dangerous. You can find danger if you're looking for it. Hell I could probably get gutted by someone walking down the road in my town if I really tried hard enough.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't! I imagine it would be "dirty" there and would not let anyone work on something so precious as my teeth. Thats just me.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Don't go to Mexico.

I had to have dental work done, and I don't have dental insurance, it was well worth every penny I racked up in debt doing it with the professionals here. I can't stop thinking about how stupid going to Mexico for that would be, how do you even know what the results will be. Stupid idea, just...don't.

And if you do go and do it, send me a picture so I can be glad I didn't get mine done there.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Going for a full transformation here with my weight loss (down 30 so far before joining MFP!). Have another 40 to go! Anyway, I need dental work done. Dentists here in Alberta are used car salesmen. I went to my dentist, came up with a plan, went in for treatment only to find she changed the plan and wanted to charge me $5,000 more. I told her no way. Her reply, "well, dont you want a nice smile??" What the heck?! I stormed out.

I am looking at going to Mexico to get my dental work done. Cheaper, and while they might not guarentee their work, neither will my dentist ( my bite is off and she told me my parents should have got me braces. Not a possibility since i grew up dirt poor after my dad died).

Anyone on here gone to Mexico for dental work before? What clinic did you go to??

I keep looking on the net. Every place has mixed reviews. Any input would be great!

Thanks all!

I do not advise any over seas surgery. The laws are different, the doctor's "responsibilities" to you , the patient, are differnt, you have to travel/be away from your support system, and when you return home if something goes wrong it will wind up costing you more.

what kind of dental work is being done?
  • mirsald
    mirsald Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't go to Mexico.

I had to have dental work done, and I don't have dental insurance, it was well worth every penny I racked up in debt doing it with the professionals here. I can't stop thinking about how stupid going to Mexico for that would be, how do you even know what the results will be. Stupid idea, just...don't.

And if you do go and do it, send me a picture so I can be glad I didn't get mine done there.

Mexico's has good dentists, but still be careful.
    Algodones has 4000 inhabitants and 400 dentists, it talks about the popularity of this profession in Mexico
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    No way! That place is a nightmare right now. At least along the northern border of the country.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    No way! That place is a nightmare right now. At least along the northern border of the country.
    Pfft... I'm in Ciudad Juarez (former murder capital of the world) nearly every weekend. Then again, I speak the language and know the culture. I could pass for a local on a good day, especially as my tan comes in. If you're a pasty white Canadian that doesn't speak the language, it may be a harrowing experience.

As far as conditions at these places, they are pretty good. They do cater to Americans, so they have to be competitive. They keep things clean and do good work. They are well aware of online reviews and such.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    go for the dental work...stay for the.....well because you got kidnapped.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i've had dental work done all over--because i lived overseas growing up. had an orthodontist in nicaragua and dentists in el salvador (wisdom teeth extraction--owie!) and egypt. i liked my american dentist the best, whom i'd see every summer for a cleaning, mostly because i could could actually communicate to him in a language i was comfortable with :)

eta: oh, and my teeth are just fine! people should do their research but to discredit anyone who's not american/canadian/european is such BS. a family friend used to get MAJOR dental work done (root canals, etc.) in indonesia. cheap cheap cheap and he had lived there before and knew doctors/dentists there who'd had training done in the west.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    I won't go for dental work, but the prostitutes are fantastic there!