Anyone gone to Mexico for dental work??

Options

Replies

• CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    I won't go for dental work, but the prostitutes are fantastic there!
    Can't beat the price!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Can't beat the price!

And after you're done, you can by any antibiotics you need at one of the nearby pharmacies!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER go to Mexico for any medical/dental procedure. There is a reason they are cheaper. They have less restrictions and lax health codes...Infection is the #1 cause of death after having procedures done there....Please reconsider an seek a second dental opinion.

I wonder what your sources of information are. Our health care ( which in comparison to the US we have for everyone ) as well as dental care is not cheaper because the quality is bad, but because people here make a lot less money. The minimum wage is the equivalent of US$-.60 and a teacher makes about US$ 550.-
    Dental care is Mexico as as good as anywhere else. There are crappy dentists as well as extremely good ones ( they ought to be, since many of them went to dental school in the US or Europe ).
    The problem I see with " dental tourism " is that unless the patient speaks Spanish well enough ( or the dentist good English, which in big cities they often do ), it is difficult to find a suitable dentist. This takes the kind of time that most tourist usually don' t have. There are quite a few " clinics " set up for the purpose of treating foreign tourists fast and I cannot say anything about them, because we normal people here avoid them, because they are about three times as expensive as a normal dentist. I recently paid at my Mexico City dentist around US$ 160.- for a root canal, which is pretty much normal here, but takes all together about 4-6 weeks of weekly appointments to do; time an average tourist does not have.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    start-believing-in-troll-threads.jpg
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    OMG! THANK YOU for putting some sense in here! It amazes me the kind of prejudice and ignorance we have going around in the world! Do your research before you type!
    I wouldn't go to Mexico to do anything. Anything. Cartels, rampant unchecked misogyny, and random tourist murders aren't my style. I would let my teeth rot out of my head before having dental work done there.

It irks me that people put the blanket "Mexico" on the above. Not ALL of Mexico is like this. Border towns? Yes.Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Guerrero, Jalisco, Michoacan, Morelos, Nayarit, Nuevo Leon, Oaxaca, San Luis Potosi, Sinaloa, Sonora, Tabasco, Tamaulipas, Veracruz and Zacatecas states? Yes.

Cancun area, Puerto Morelos, Cobo? No. It's statements like that that put the fear into people and makes them never want to go. I go to Mexico twice a year in the Cancun area and Puerto Morelos and haven't had any issue. The police and federales are EVERYWHERE. Cancun makes up 10% of the Mexican economy. Do you really think they want people to NOT go there? Of course there are areas where it's sketchy and dangerous. You can find danger if you're looking for it. Hell I could probably get gutted by someone walking down the road in my town if I really tried hard enough.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to Mexico to do anything. Anything. Cartels, rampant unchecked misogyny, and random tourist murders aren't my style. I would let my teeth rot out of my head before having dental work done there.

This comment just proves how ignorant and sheltered you are.

Seriously? Don't go for dental work? What does this even mean? So, now only the U.S. is the only country in the world with Dentists? I lived in Morelia, Michoacan Mexico for 10 years and went to, wait for it.... Dentists *gasp* and doctors, schools (better schools than the U.S. education system btw), engineers, etc. I mean ffs they still live in pyramids and don't have internet, right?!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    my uncle went to mexico for dental work. he came back with no teeth and a sombrero.

ahhh.... Tijuana. good times... good times...
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    My mom got work done in Mexico and they did an amazing job. Varies from place to place and what you get done.
    I wouldn't go for surgery but I probably would for a root canal and implant.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My husband is going to Acuna in a few weeks for a crown and a root canal. His family has been using the same guy down there for decades.
  • mirsald
    mirsald Posts: 2
    Options
    If you look at the map (http://mexicodental.co/find_a_dentist) you'll see that most of the dentists located next to the border, because of security and stay in Yuma, and will not be a problem, for your safety go to respected dentist.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Im Canadian,

My dad and I went to Costa Rica and he got some dental work done there..
    Good quality, Great price. Fabulous vacation!

Costa Rica is not Mexico.

Tim please get the map
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think so poorly of Mexicans? The underlying racism here is quite alarming. It's barely a notch above claiming Mexicans piss in their beers.

SHUT UP!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    NEVER, I repeat, NEVER go to Mexico for any medical/dental procedure. There is a reason they are cheaper. They have less restrictions and lax health codes...Infection is the #1 cause of death after having procedures done there....Please reconsider an seek a second dental opinion.

THIS!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Can't beat the price!

And after you're done, you can by any antibiotics you need at one of the nearby pharmacies!

They don't just dole out meds anymore. You now need a prescription.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    Can't beat the price!
    They don't just dole out meds anymore. You now need a prescription.
    And you can get the prescription at the pharmacy via an over-the-counter exam for an extra $3 USD.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Tell me more
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I would never in a million years go to a foreign country for cheaper dental work or any medical procedure.

Find a low cost clinic in your area.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. Tell me more

I'm actually planning to go to Mexico to get some dental work myself. It'll be a short drive from Cali to Mexico (So gas money) to get my stuff handled, maybe crashing overnight on the US side of the border, and then a short jaunt back to Cali. Bing bang boom, dental work for 1/3 of the price.

I mean. If I'm displeased I can go and get it redone 2 more times before it was no longer cost effective.
  • majestik19
    Options
    I have gone to puerto vallarta the past few years for dental work.
    I've received 3 crowns a root canal a filling and numerous cleanings
    The office is clean safe and the dentist is very knowledgable and the price is fantastic
  • chelseaflorez
    chelseaflorez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Mexico in a couple of weeks for dental work. An ex'coworker goes regularly and she turned me on to it. Im jobless getting evicted this month unless a miracle occurs. Ive been putting it'off because of my situation but ill be leaving AZ going to Mexico and getting pretty with a new smile and hopefully make some money with my new mouth. YAY!!!!